Spencer Ware (and rest of KC backfield) 2019 outlook

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Spencer Ware (and rest of KC backfield) 2019 outlook

Postby Life of Pablo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Is anybody expecting Ware to have a starting (or at least sizable/fantasy-relevant) role for the Chiefs or any other team next year? I'm aware Damien Williams had a great game a few days ago, but I still see him as the 1B to Ware's 1A when both are healthy. The bigger impending threat however is how the offseason plays out. Not only could the Chiefs easily bring in more/better/younger RB talent, but Ware is also an unrestricted FA so it's not even a guarantee that the Chiefs bring him back for 2019.

So, does anyone think Ware can sustain any long-term non-handcuff value after this final fantasy week, or is this just his last 15 minutes of fame? (My personal conundrum is that Jamaal Williams is on waivers... so I'm debating dropping Ware to block him from my championship opponent. However, I could also drop Ito, Foreman, idk)

That upside/potential of stashing Ware to pay off big-time in 2019 is salivating. But I'm starting to think that the chance of that happening is nothing but a pipedream at this point. What do you guys think? Can anyone make a compelling argument to hang on to that hope?
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

rschroeder1
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Spencer Ware (and rest of KC backfield) 2019 outlook

Postby rschroeder1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:46 pm

This is a fun, if not utterly unknowable, topic to discuss. I have a share of Darrel Williams that is fun to dream about, if nothing else.

A few factors that I see coming into play:

- The Chiefs currently have $42 million in cap space for 2019, about middle of the pack. I am not a Chiefs fan and am just looking at this number: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/

So there very well may be players who will be cut to free up cap space for '19. But it's safe to say they probably aren't going to be at the top of the list.

- Given that the Chiefs are in their Super Bowl window for the next three years before they have to pay Mahomes, from an outsider's perspective, you would think the defense will be a priority in the draft next year.

- Outside of Bell, the free agent class isn't exactly loaded. Tevin Coleman and Carlos Hyde probably the big names. Coleman feels like he may get Jerick Mckinnon-level money that might be beyond what the Chiefs want to spend.

- Both Ware and Damien Williams seem to be guys who could be resigned for reasonable contracts.

- Darrel Williams is a true wild card. I have more to say about him because I've been doing some research since I own him and don't know how to value him. Intentionally chose LSU knowing he probably wouldn't play much (childhood dream) so doesn't have a lot of a college resume, didn't wow at the combine so it seems a lot of people are turned off from him already, but I personally don't put a lot of weight on combine stuff. I did think it was notable he played 25% of the snaps against the Chargers. Showed a degree of trust for an undrafted rookie in a critical game.

To sum up this vague and amorphous post, I would hold on to Ware because the upside is enormous. My guess is the Chiefs either make a run at Bell or go a more cost-conscious route at the position.

juke05
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby juke05 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:54 pm

I don't see the chiefs making a run at bell...not b/c of the money but because I don't think andy reid would not want that kind of "me-first" player that could cause a distraction. He learned his lesson with TO back in the day and seems to be about building a culture in KC, exhibit A being cutting Hunt.

I would 100% hold ware over picking up Williams. The chiefs could certainly draft or sign a RB next year but like the above poster said, the upside of Ware in that starting role is too much to ignore

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:13 pm

This was already discussed here. Zero chance Ware is the starter next season
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:20 pm

skip wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:13 pm This was already discussed here. Zero chance Ware is the starter next season
He was their starter last year on a less talented offense so there's no way to rule that out.

rschroeder1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rschroeder1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:03 pm

juke05 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:54 pm I don't see the chiefs making a run at bell...not b/c of the money but because I don't think andy reid would not want that kind of "me-first" player that could cause a distraction. He learned his lesson with TO back in the day and seems to be about building a culture in KC, exhibit A being cutting Hunt.

I would 100% hold ware over picking up Williams. The chiefs could certainly draft or sign a RB next year but like the above poster said, the upside of Ware in that starting role is too much to ignore
Just wanted to clarify from my original post. I wouldn't advocate Darrel Williams over Ware (or Damien Williams over Ware). Darrel is clearly a long shot dart throw, but also the guy with the least information we have available.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 pm

So much ambiguity as of now. Hold em if you got em I suppose, unless you get a juicy offer.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:13 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 pm So much ambiguity as of now. Hold em if you got em I suppose, unless you get a juicy offer.
Exactly. I'll hold Ware through the offseason, maybe hes the starter, maybe not and I drop him

juke05
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby juke05 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:57 am

rschroeder1 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:03 pm
juke05 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:54 pm I don't see the chiefs making a run at bell...not b/c of the money but because I don't think andy reid would not want that kind of "me-first" player that could cause a distraction. He learned his lesson with TO back in the day and seems to be about building a culture in KC, exhibit A being cutting Hunt.

Just wanted to clarify from my original post. I wouldn't advocate Darrel Williams over Ware (or Damien Williams over Ware). Darrel is clearly a long shot dart throw, but also the guy with the least information we have available.
OP was considering picking up Jamaal Williams and dropping Ware. IMO, Ware>Jamaal Williams>Damian Williams>Darrel Williams

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:27 am

As a chiefs fan there is almost 0 chance we pursue bell. Having said that I think there is a very small chance ware is also the lead back next year. I think it will likely be addressed in the draft but I could also see a possible coleman signing if they were going with a free agent
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

ajf235
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ajf235 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:42 am

I think Ware’s dynasty value is next to nil. Ware had a just-below pro bowl caliber season in 2016 as the Chiefs starting RB and they still drafted Kareem Hunt in the third round of the 2017 draft.

I think the Chiefs address the RB situation in the draft or potentially sign someone like Tevin Coleman this offseason. I doubt Ware stays the guy. Why would he when they didn’t allow him to be the guy after a more productive season when he was a two years younger than he is now.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 am

Very up in the air. If I had to bet, I'd bet on them drafting a 2nd round rookie RB (and that guy going 1st overall in dynasty rookie drafts)
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:49 am

For now, we can only speculate, with zero firm evidence to cite pointing at any particular outcome.

I presume KC will be active both in the draft and in free-agency at RB. There will be several decent RBs in free-agency this offseason. Bell is the only marquee bellcow available (iirc), but there are several other options that could be leadback caliber, and definitely could be part of a quality committee.

As for Ware and the two Williams, all bets are off. It's only become obvious to me in hindsight, but Ware has had some trouble staying healthy ever since he transitioned from fullback to running-back; as such, I'm not confident he'll be re-signed. Darrel Williams is signed for 2019 and I'm guessing will indeed make the roster next year, but probably just as depth. Of the currently rostered players, Damien Williams is the most interesting 2019 dice-roll; he'd need to be re-signed, but I know Brett Veach has viewed Damien as a potential "situational starter" from square one. Damien's 2019 future with KC may greatly depend on how well he plays in the post-season.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Everyone is salivating over Bell/Coleman/Ingram in KC but the reality is that Reid has never really been the type to bring in that kind of free agent at running back. He seems to love getting his guy in day 2 or day 3 of the draft and when he does bring in a FA to supplement them it's typically more of a back end FA option (like Ware and Williams were in the first place) rather than one of the most expensive guys.

Maybe their Super Bowl window while Mahomes is on his rookie deal will entice them to finally spend on a RB, but If they do decide to bring someone new in I wouldn't be at all surprised if t were someone no one is thinking of like Mike Davis or Cameron Artis Payne as depth alongside a day 2 or day 3 pick in the draft.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:18 pm

Appreciate the comments, a lot of good food for thought. End of the day I guess it's impossible to predict what will happen, but I agree with the general sentiment that Ware will not have a starting role next year. Too many possible scenarios make it unlikely, and Damien Williams playing well last week kinda confirmed it in my eyes.

Having said that, I'll probably hold onto Ware as an offseason stash just in case of the 5% chance he has a golden opportunity next year. Always liked the guy myself. If a more enticing FA becomes available to me over the next few days (not Jamaal Williams - my upcoming opponent [who I was not expecting to face] will not need him to start), I'll think about making the switch.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th