Rob Gronkowski - how do you value him these days?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Rob Gronkowski - how do you value him these days?

Postby Fezzik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:42 am

Ice wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:21 pm I agree he is close to retirement but he is elite when on the field.
That's the thing... no he isn't. This year he's the TE7 in average points per game.
Mud Dogs 0.5PPR
QB (1) - C. Newton, D. Jones
RB (1) - T. Gurley, N. Chubb, C. Hyde, J. Howard, M. Ingram. J. McKinnon, D. Foreman
WR (3) - J. Jones, A. Brown, A. Cooper, L. Fitzgerald, D. Moncrief, T. Lockett, D. Johnson, Hardman
TE (1) - Kittle, Gesecki, Warring
Flex (1) - any r/w/t

The Brute Squad- PPR of 0.25 for RB, 0.5 for WR
QB (1) - Roethlisberger, Rivers
RB (1) - T. Gurley, L. Miller, D. Foreman, J. McKinnon
WR (3) - D. Hopkins, A. Jeffery, S. Shepard, J. Crowder, M. Williams, Humphries
TE (1) - Hockenson, Olsen, Pruitt, Warring
Flex (1) - any r/w/t

Macho Man Randy Savage (Full PPR)
QB (1) - Ryan, Darnold
RB (1) - Barkley, Hyde, Breida, Mack, McKinnon, Ajayi
WR (1) - OBJ, K. Allen, R. Cobb, Diggs, J. Brown, Sutton, Isabella, D. Samuel, Slayton
TE (1) - Kittle
Flex (2) - any r/w
Extra 2020 first

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 am

Fezzik wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:42 am
Ice wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:21 pm I agree he is close to retirement but he is elite when on the field.
That's the thing... no he isn't. This year he's the TE7 in average points per game.
Well maybe not elite, at least not in fantasy this year. But as long as he's active, even at 80% health (totally arbitrary guess) he's still going to be a top-5 option ROS. The only TE's you can really put above him ROS are Kelce, Ertz, Kittle, and maybe Ebron now that Doyle's out.

Coming out of a sorely needed Week 11 bye to give him 3 weeks of rest, it's not unreasonable to think Gronk can gel a little better with Brady and at least flirt with the upside we expected at the beginning of the year. At this point the Patriots have finally gotten all of their offensive weapons back healthy and acclimated (Gronk, Edelman, Gordon, Michel, and now Burkhead), which I think can only help him as defenses can no longer give him too much focus. Feels like it's now or never time for that entire offense (Brady included), which has been good but not great.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Fezzik wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:42 am
That is a small sample size for a player that has been hurt the better part of the year. The reality is outside of 3-4 TE's in the league if you own Gronk and he is active he will be in the vast majority of lineups weekly. If you happen own a Ertz or Kelce type in addition Gronk will still likely start at flex.

This is what makes him valuable to owners or team looking to shore up the position at TE for the playoffs.

Elite at TE is a bit speculative I know but the 6 in front of him this year have combined for 16 or 17 single digit games to put it in some perspective.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

GregOfTheDead
Role Player
Role Player

Postby GregOfTheDead » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:55 am

I bought him his offseason hoping for a nuclear likely final season and while he helped get me a big week 1 win (which in the end was the catalyst for me making the playoffs, go figure) he hasn't been all that great. I have been using him in my flex as I have Ertz and I am truly hoping he pops off week 15 vs the steelers.

Also, when I bought him last summer I did so with the understanding he would likely retire next year. If he keeps playing that would be a nice bonus, struggles aside. At the moment, I dont really have a value for him since we could be looking at his final weeks. If he plays again next year I would consider selling for a second, but would certainly hold him if I am offered thirds. That said, I would probably continue to hold him as depth if he plays next year, which I acknowledge is pretty unlikely. but you never know...

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:30 am

I own him in both leagues I'm in, but have any of you actually watched him in games? I'm no scout, but he looks.... mediocre, in real life. Moves very-slow, lumbering, its not even the same TE, at all.

Hoping its just the accumulated injuries and he can bounce back some next year
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

95dent
Starter
Starter

Postby 95dent » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:37 am

I don’t have any shares in him, but if I did I’d be looking to shift him now before his value drops further...unless of course your league scores points for wins in the WWE.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:45 am

Basically what 95dent is saying is 'Don't take too long in wrestling with that decision'. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..