Let’s talk... David Montgomery

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Let’s talk... David Montgomery

Postby Shcritters » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:42 pm

So I went out on a limb at this time last year (hardy har har) and said Barkley was going to be far and away the best RB coming out of the 2018 class. Well, time to plant a flag again and say David Mongtomery will be a top 2 RB coming out this year. FROM A FOOTBALL ONLY PERSPECTIVE he looks to me like a Ray Rice clone - someone who can catch, is as slippery as you can imagine, and can actually move the pile even though he isn’t the biggest back 5’11’’, 216). He doesn’t have elite speed, but he can juke you out of your shoes and is great in pass pro. He goes to the right spot and he could put up amazing stats in the pros.

As an ISU alum I’m pretty excited... although disappointed I’ll never be able to draft him because he’ll go so early in my drafts.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Let’s talk... David Montgomery

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Love him, but I do think there are some athleticism questions. Long speed is not there at all, and he doesn't have much of a top gear. I'm hoping he can show decent athletic testing outside the 40, but when I watch guys like Miles Sanders and Damien Harris vs David, there is a noticeable difference in athleticism, which could be crucial at the next level. I really am pulling for him, because I love his game, I hope he can show some decent athleticism at the combine. His PFF stats are very good, I believe, don't let the YPC fool you.

Had a big game today vs Kansas state. 19 for 149 and 3 TD's. Don't forget he's got solid hands, too.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Franky Four Fingers
Starter
Starter

Postby Franky Four Fingers » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 pm

I totally agree that this guy is an intriguing prospect. While I don't think he is on a level with a Barkley (frankly nobody is athletically) he could easily be a top flight pro RB. He is slippery in a way I find reminiscent of Barry Sanders. If this kid finds his way in an O like Chicago, Philly, or somewhere else similar he could easily be a Ray Rice (like the comp by the way) type of RB1. There is something to be said for being an elite football player and good luck one on one tackling this guy or hitting him in the open field. Call me intrigued. I have the 1.1 in a league Where I am also the top seed in playoffs currently and I'm going to be taking really good look at this guy in the draft and the process leading up to it.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 pm

Franky Four Fingers wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 pm I totally agree that this guy is an intriguing prospect. While I don't think he is on a level with a Barkley (frankly nobody is athletically) he could easily be a top flight pro RB. He is slippery in a way I find reminiscent of Barry Sanders who also didn't have elite long speed per say. If this kid finds his way in an O like Chicago, Philly, or somewhere else similar he could easily be a Ray Rice (like the comp by the way) type of RB1. There is something to be said for being an elite football player and good luck one on one tackling this guy or hitting him in the open field. Call me intrigued. I have the 1.1 in a league Where I am also the top seed in playoffs currently and I'm going to be taking really good look at this guy in the draft and the process leading up to it.
Sanders ran a 4.40, he had good long speed. Montgomery is not the same level of prospect as Rice. Rice was a 4.42 guy. Montgomery is nowhere near the athlete, but I understand the comp football wise. I love Montgomery, but I really question him athletically. I hope he surprises at the combine, but I really question whether he has the athleticism to make it work at the next level, but I really want him to. I love the way he plays.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:12 am

Ya, he's been my #1 RB in this class all year and has only made that claim stronger over the course of the season. He does benefit from being part of a weaker RB class, but I think I would have had him as #4 in last years class had he been eligible (Barkley, Guice, Chubb being my top 3), so he's no slouch. Hopefully he tests well at the combine, he seems to have the measurables and skillset of a 3 down RB. He will probably be an early-mid 2nd round pick in the NFL draft if he holds his status as the #1 RB in the class. I still think WR is the strength of this draft from a fantasy perspective and expect the first several picks to be all WRs, but he'll probably come off the board between 4th and 6th in most rookie drafts, and will go #1 in a handful due to RB value.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:38 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:12 am Ya, he's been my #1 RB in this class all year and has only made that claim stronger over the course of the season. He does benefit from being part of a weaker RB class, but I think I would have had him as #4 in last years class had he been eligible (Barkley, Guice, Chubb being my top 3), so he's no slouch. Hopefully he tests well at the combine, he seems to have the measurables and skillset of a 3 down RB. He will probably be an early-mid 2nd round pick in the NFL draft if he holds his status as the #1 RB in the class. I still think WR is the strength of this draft from a fantasy perspective and expect the first several picks to be all WRs, but he'll probably come off the board between 4th and 6th in most rookie drafts, and will go #1 in a handful due to RB value.
I could be wrong, but after the combine there is no way he goes 1. I love his game, but the more I watch, the more I see a lack of athleticism compared to someone like Damien Harris. I think Montgomery's draft stock hinges on his combine, and he could go anywhere between round 2-4 based on it. I hope he can run sub 4.6 and have a decent 3 cone.

I had Montgomery as my top back for a while, but I think Harris might be there now. He's just much more explosive, and has great balance, too.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:16 am

Ya I doubt he goes number one, or think he should. But I guarantee he will in a handful of leagues if he is still considered the #1 RB in the class, solely due to the positional value placed on RB in a lot of leagues.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:00 pm

It's only a weaker RB class if you have Montgomery #1.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:01 pm

As long as he is better than Ty Montgomery I'll be happy. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

wildabeast49
Role Player
Role Player

Postby wildabeast49 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:03 pm

My limb is that he's this years John Kelley and isnt very good even though so many want him to be. I think he'll be less than even an average athlete, while being not big. Will get drafterd sometime around round 4 and the people that still take him 1.10-2.02 will be kicking themselves.
10 team, .5 ppr dynasty
QB: Brady, Wilson
RB: Fournette, cook, mixon, Ajayi, Gordon, Ware, Joe Williams, Hunt, Martin
WR: Evans, TY, Dez, Sammy, Coleman, Diggs, Ross, White, Fitz
TE: Watson, Eifert, Bennet

PPR 12 team superflex, limited devy (1 per year) heavy return yardage
Cousins, Rivers, Kizer
Fournette, Zeke, Mixon, mcCaffrey, Joe Williams, Mcnichols, Mack, Martin
Cooper, Evans, Watkins, Coleman, Diggs, Martavis, Chad Williams, Parker
Henry, Rudolph, Hodges

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Very intriguing guy. I think he is near the top for missed tackles too
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:49 am

Go Cyclones!!!

So far I have only watched him play from the perspective of a (long suffering) ISU fan. The kid is a really good football player. And as stated several times before, he doesn't appear to have necessary burst & speed to be an elite fantasy back. We'll see what the combine tests show and what situation he lands in.

Keep your eyes on Iowa State next year. They've landed a recruit from Quincy, IL that is crazy good. We should be seeing a lot of Brock on Saturdays. :-)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:22 am

OK, I have been high on this guy, and then started questioning his athleticism. His 40 time will not be good, BUT, the agility and contact balance I am seeing are so damn good, I'm back on the train. Dude has a motor. His spacial awareness is incredible at times. Here's a new mash up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGsfFy45T4

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:22 am

I love his game. Reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew.

Because he won't test that well at the combine & doesn't have an Adrian Peterson build, he'll get knocked plenty. I hope this means he can be had in the mid or late first, depending on where & when he goes in the NFL draft.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Mr. Wizard
Starter
Starter

Nagy on Montgomery: “whole package... hands... three down back... everything we’re looking for”

Postby Mr. Wizard » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Also said he sees him similarly to Hunt.

https://twitter.com/cemma670/status/112 ... 46400?s=21

Do with this knowledge what you will
12 Team RealitySportsOnline League, Half-PPR, TEP, Half-PPFD

1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1SFX **Years under contract in parentheses. Two extensions and one franchise tag available per year.**

QB: Mahomes (2), Burrow (2), Young (3)
HB: Saquon (3), Gibbs (4), Henry (1), Hunt (1), Mattison (1)
WR: Chase (3), Tyreek (4), Kupp (3), Aiyuk (4), Pierce (2)
TE: Kelce (2), Njoku (1)
IR:
Future Picks: 24 2nd, 3rd, 4th: 25 4th: 26 2nd, 3rd, 4th
--
12 Team Dynasty League, Half-PPR
1QB, 2HB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1 SFX

QB: Hurts, Prescott, Geno,
HB: Bijan, Taylor, Conner, Gibson, B. Robinson, Herbert, Achane, Miller, Damien Harris,
WR: AJB, Allen, Jeudy, Nuk, Cooks, Davis, Claypool, Shakir
TE: Goedert, Knox, Dulcich, Otton
IR:
Future Picks: 1.06, 2.06, 3.05