No such thing as a sure thing

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
User avatar
dlf_jules
Administrator
Posts: 9044
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 pm

No such thing as a sure thing

Postby dlf_jules » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Today's events remind me that Dez Bryant and Odell Beckham battled for the dynasty 1.01 slot before the 2015 season. The main argument against Beckham was his risk compared to the "proven" Dez.

Since then, Dez hasn't averaged more than 14 PPG in a season. Odell hasn't averaged less than 18.

To be sure, everyone was right that Odell was riskier than Dez. But when we treat proven players as sure things, we're guaranteed to be wrong in our risk comparison.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

User avatar
Trevormortis
Captain
Captain
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:42 pm

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby Trevormortis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:14 pm

I traded my 2.04 during last years draft for DT because, you know, DT, at 2.04, why not... That 2.04 was Kamara...

We all know how that turned out.
Team 1. 12 team. .5 PPR. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX
QB - Tannehill, Rivers, , Trubisky, Big Ben
RB - Barkley, Chubb, Howard, Penny, Harris
WR - OBJ, Kupp, Ridley, Crowder, Cooks, A. Miller, Tre'Quan Smith, P. Williams
TE - Kelce
2020 1,2,3,4,5

Team 2. 12 team. 1 PPR. 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX
QB - Watson, Tannehill, Trubisky,
RB - Kamara, M. Gordon, Ekeler, Mixon, G. Bernard, McKissic
WR - M. Thomas, Diggs, Boyd, Cooks, Pascal, Coutee, A. Miller, Reynolds, JJ A-Whiteside, D Thomas,
TE - Kelce, Dissly
2020 1,2,3,5,5

User avatar
Valhalla
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4353
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby Valhalla » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Jules, you live!

ericanadian
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4905
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby ericanadian » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:30 pm

dlf_jules wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:54 pm
Today's events remind me that Dez Bryant and Odell Beckham battled for the dynasty 1.01 slot before the 2015 season. The main argument against Beckham was his risk compared to the "proven" Dez.

Since then, Dez hasn't averaged more than 14 PPG in a season. Odell hasn't averaged less than 18.

To be sure, everyone was right that Odell was riskier than Dez. But when we treat proven players as sure things, we're guaranteed to be wrong in our risk comparison.
They were also battling Julio Jones & Antonio Brown. Seems like you’re cherry picking with Dez.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Tannehill, Mariota
RB - Gordon, Cook, Penny, Guice, Harris, Laird, Love
WR - Julio, C. Davis, AJ Brown, Samuel, Washington, Di. Johnson, Isabella
TE - Henry, Andrews
LB - Kuechly, R. Smith
DL - Hunter, Armstead, Quinn
DB - D. James, Baker, Edmunds
K - Just a stupid kicker

User avatar
GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame
Posts: 3012
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:43 pm
Location: Nor-Cal

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:37 pm

ericanadian wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:30 pm
dlf_jules wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:54 pm
Today's events remind me that Dez Bryant and Odell Beckham battled for the dynasty 1.01 slot before the 2015 season. The main argument against Beckham was his risk compared to the "proven" Dez.

Since then, Dez hasn't averaged more than 14 PPG in a season. Odell hasn't averaged less than 18.

To be sure, everyone was right that Odell was riskier than Dez. But when we treat proven players as sure things, we're guaranteed to be wrong in our risk comparison.
They were also battling Julio Jones & Antonio Brown. Seems like you’re cherry picking with Dez.
I really don't think this diminishes the point.
Bo Knows Dynasty (12 Team IDP/Roster-30/8 IR/8 Taxi)1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB
Requiem For a Team

Dragon Eggs Devy (14 Team IDP/Roster-53/10 IR/8 Taxi)1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex QB/RB/WR/TE, 2 LB, 1 DT, 2 DE, 1 CB, 2 DB, 2 Flex
The Night's Watch

Marvel VS. DC (14 Team IDP/Roster-53/10 IR)1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 DT, 2 DE, 3 LB, 2 S, 1 CB, 1 Flex
The Hulk

A Star Wars Dynatsty (14 Team IDP/PPR/Roster-30/8 IR)1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE, 2 DE, 2 LB, 2 S
The Dark Side

Yahoo! Fantasy Profile

User avatar
dlf_jules
Administrator
Posts: 9044
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby dlf_jules » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 pm

ericanadian wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:30 pm
They were also battling Julio Jones & Antonio Brown. Seems like you’re cherry picking with Dez.
Oh, sure. And the actual hit rate is way better than the 67% that we get from the Dez-Julio-AB cohort. My point isn't "youth > veteran." It's "Stop discounting the risk of veterans when comparing them to youngsters."
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

jordanzs
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame
Posts: 3070
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:11 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby jordanzs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 pm

I had a 2015 startup draft. Dez went 1.1, ODB went 1.2.

I took Gronk at 1.7, right after Antonio Brown & right before Leveon Bell.

I was happy to get Hopkins at 2.6.....half a round after Calvin Johnson went off the board :)

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5095
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:17 pm

dlf_jules wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:54 pm
when we treat proven players as sure things, we're guaranteed to be wrong in our risk comparison
Worth putting in a signature.
jordanzs wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 pm
I was happy to get Hopkins at 2.6.....half a round after Calvin Johnson went off the board :)
Strangely high for Megatron in 2015, at age 30 and following the worst season of his career since 2009. :|
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

jordanzs
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame
Posts: 3070
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:11 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby jordanzs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:23 pm

ninotoreS wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:17 pm
dlf_jules wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:54 pm
when we treat proven players as sure things, we're guaranteed to be wrong in our risk comparison
Worth putting in a signature.
jordanzs wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 pm
I was happy to get Hopkins at 2.6.....half a round after Calvin Johnson went off the board :)
Strangely high for Megatron in 2015, at age 30 and following the worst season of his career since 2009. :|
I wasn't complaining :D :D :D

User avatar
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 8234
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby ArrylT » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 pm

I think the better point is that there is risk period. For every Antonio Brown there is a Jeremy Maclin and for every Michael Thomas there is a Devante Parker.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Nanananananana
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:32 pm

60% of the time, it works every time!

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5095
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm

ArrylT wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 pm
For every Antonio Brown and Michael Thomas there are a dozen Jeremy Maclins and Devante Parkers.
ftfy :P
Last edited by ninotoreS on Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

User avatar
Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2674
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Nanananananana wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:32 pm
60% of the time, it works every time!
They've done studies.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

User avatar
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 8234
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby ArrylT » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 pm

ninotoreS wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm
ArrylT wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 pm
For every Antonio Brown and Michael Johnson there are a dozen Jeremy Maclins and Devante Parkers.
ftfy :P
Thank you. :lol:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

User avatar
spotxc
Captain
Captain
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:52 am

Re: No such thing as a sure thing

Postby spotxc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:44 am

Risk everywhere but I agree with poster. Can’t assume these established guys are sure things


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mchriste619, RoyalPalmer and 6 guests