What is the best kind of league and why

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What is the best kind of league and why

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:56 am

I might be the only one who doesn't like Superflex. I'm boring. I enjoy the PPR/DFS style, 21-25 man rosters, 12 team, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, FLEX, TE. Starting more RB's/WR's would be interesting, but that's as adventurous as I'd go.

Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wizard » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:33 am

Great feedback but can someone explain what Player Loaning is? I'm not familiar with that.
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:37 am

Maker wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:33 am Great feedback but can someone explain what Player Loaning is? I'm not familiar with that.
I would assume it is an agreement between two parties to trade players but then trade them back, whether it is for bye week fill ins, injury fill ins or for the playoffs.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:49 am

Maker wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:33 am Great feedback but can someone explain what Player Loaning is? I'm not familiar with that.
There's a current thread about loaning playes and if it's collusion. It exploded pretty quickly.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:55 am

It’s a sarcastic reference to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=173813

To answer your original question, assuming a 12-team league, I would implement the following settings:

.5 PPR, .5PPFD (rushing/receiving), .2 PPFD (passing)

21-player rosters, no K or D/ST, 9 starters, 1-2 QB, 1-5 WR, 1-5 RB, 1-5 TE

No divisions. Play 11 weeks of double-headers so everyone plays everyone else twice. One-week quarterfinals, two-week semifinals, two-week championship.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:06 am

Standard scoring redraft

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:12 am

Whatever it takes to make every position valuable and deeeeeeeeep as possible
TE premium, SF/2QB/16/20/32 teams, IDP with balanced scoring, deep starting lineups

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:46 am

#1 is roster size and flexibility - both need to be MASSIVE, otherwise there's too many annoying transactions you have to make that aren't really great choices, but well, just annoying administration.

No positional limits - that's antiquated too. I get positional limits for supply-demand balance reasons (we still use them), but they still force some non-strategic/more administrative-only, non-fun decisions.

It's not fun to have to drop a young guy you like for a freaking K or D because of byes, for example. Or not pick up a 9th RB when you really need one due to injuries and byes hitting at the same time. Strategically, those roster moves are often stupid too - but if you're required to not start anyone on bye, you're screwed for a very non-fun and/or non-dynasty reason.

Which reminds me, the 1a is no freaking D or K. What a waste in dynasty. A decade ago I didn't care, but now they annoy the hell out of me. Fine for redraft leagues, a waste of space in dynasty. They're not dynasty positions and the amount of time and strategy involved with them is so low compared to a real dynasty prospect or player.

Scoring-wise, I've come around on TE premium, definitely makes TE cooler. I like 6pts-per-TD on QBs, even if it makes some monsters. But hey, QBs rule the NFL, so I'm ok with it thematically.

I think PPR is antiquated with the amount of passing going on to all positions, so half-PPR is a better option (one Yahoo redraft leagues just smartly changed to as a default this year, by the way).

Superflex is the one thing I'm on the fence on - thematically, kind of weird starting 2 QB. We've never done it, but I can see how it could be fun. Definitely enough QBs to go around these days to do it too, so I wouldn't mind if we went to it.

But the chances of Superflex happening in my 11th year home league - along with K and D removal - unfortunately so far seem slim to none!

Last but certainly not least - rules transparency. All rules, including written by-laws, should be as clear as possible and refined if they're not. No one likes surprises or confusion in any game or sport surrounding the rules, no different in dynasty.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:04 pm

I won't play in non-ppr leagues. They diminish the value of wide receivers far too much. I won't play in leagues that only start one quarterback. I dislike leagues that use kickers or team defense because both positions are a total crapshoot and pretty much useless in Dynasty.

if you're the type of owner that loves the draft I would encourage you to play fewer Dynasty leagues and many more redraft leagues. I find that a lot of owners will continuously join more and more leagues to get it opportunity to draft from the existing pool of NFL players. Ultimately they decide there in too many leagues and they drop some of them. They are better off in redraft formats.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:52 pm

There is no best kind of league - the best kind of league is the kind of league that

(a) has a strong commissioner
(b) active, involved owners
(c) settings that you like

Everything else is just personal preference. Whether it is 10 teams, 20 teams, salary cap or contract, taxi squad or devy, whatever - do what you feel suits you - or better yet try everything. :)

Having said all that SF/2 QB is definitely gaining in popularity as fast as PPR once gained on non-ppr.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:12 pm

I hate the concept of SF ... so to make QBs relevant, make sure you have 14-16 teams.

95dent
Starter
Starter

Postby 95dent » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:05 am

Weknownothing86 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:06 am Standard scoring redraft
You need to get out more. :wink:

95dent
Starter
Starter

Postby 95dent » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:08 am

IDP, 0.5PPR, Salary Cap but no contracts, deepish rosters but not so that waivers are tumbleweed every week.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 pm

I vastly prefer superflex unless 32 teams. I prefer leagues where most NFL starters are started so at an this takes more than 1. I like te premium or 2te in smaller leagues too.

Idp is a must for me though a lot of leagues do it too small. I think an even number of offensive and defensive starters should be seen as the bare minimum and I prefer closer to the 11 to 6 ratio that are on the field at any time in real life. Also the idp scoring should be balanced so a top player at any position, off ball lbs, rush lbs, DE, dt, safety, can compete with the top offensive guys. Basically the idea of this is to make as many positions as possible valuable deepening the rookie pool every year to give teams the best chance to add talent and turn their luck around with a good draft class
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:59 am

One that doesn't have members that immediately cry "Tanking" when the team that is obviously rebuilding and has the least amount of win now talent in the league is the worst team in the league and in line to receive the #1 pick...