Hue Jackson Fired

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Hue Jackson Fired

Postby notweswelker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:31 pm Are there any offensive minds who could be up for a HC job for 2019 or is it too early to tell?
There are some interesting names from the college ranks, but that's always a risky and difficult line to walk.

I think John DeFilippo is probably the best young offensive mind that is available.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Hands off DeFilippo

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:05 pm

We're for sure going to see more college coaches get the nod with all these spread and air raid concepts that are infiltrating. Copy cat league.

The issue will be trying to convince Riley to leave a job where he has long-term security at and only answers to the AD, to go to the Browns who have been a coaching dumpster fire for years.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:31 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm Hands off DeFilippo
We both know he's on borrowed time. He might make it through this off-season but no way he's still with you in two years.

TB3falcons
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TB3falcons » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:37 pm

0LDMAN wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:31 pm
Valhalla wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm Hands off DeFilippo
We both know he's on borrowed time. He might make it through this off-season but no way he's still with you in two years.
I don’t think he makes it through this offseason. CLE has an opening already. Other teams with coaches on the hot seat: TB (likely fired), MIA (likely safe for 1 more yr), NYJ (50/50, rookie QB could buy 1 more yr), DEN (not looking good), JAX (depends how the team finishes). Think most of the other coaches are safe
16 Team PPR(.5 for RBs)/RetY/Balanced IDP League (QB,RB,2WR,TE,4FLX,PK,PN,DT,2DE,3LB,2CB,2S,1DFLX) 2018 & 2019 LC
QB- Mahomes, Ryan
RB- Gordon, Ingram, Swift, Gore, Hyde, Ogunbowale
WR- Hopkins, KAllen, Lockett, Golladay, Fitz, Edelman, MJones, Crowder, Cobb, Claypool, AGG, Miller (CHI), Humphries, Conley, David Moore, Demarcus Robinson, Gordon :boohoo:
TE- Olsen, Ian Thomas, Njoku
PK- Butker
PN- Cooke
DT- CJones, Ogunjobi, Kinlaw
DE- Hunter, DLaw, Young, Anderson, Turay
LB- Littleton, Mosley, D. Davis, Schobert, Bush, AJ Johnson, Walker, Evans, Burgess
CB- C Davis, Ward, Murphy-Bunting
S- JJ3, Walker, Williams, Rapp, Parks

Taxi: Oliver, Laird, Collier, Cominsky, Phillips, JAXWilliams, Harris, Willis

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Y'all remember DeFilippo was Browns OC back in '15, right? It was basically a career setback for him; afterward he had to spend two years demoted as a QB coach.
jcc6fd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:25 pm Furthermore how is Sean Payton still a respected NFL head coach?
He wins football games.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Eh...I guess they can have him. Did you guys see that crapfest last night?
They NEEDED a hurry up and have the offensive talent to come back. They made so many boneheaded decisions it was tough to handle. They weren’t going for two when they should have been, which shows lack of understanding of stats there. They were calling runs up the gut with 5 minutes left down 3 scores with a full field to go, and then huddling back up. They didn’t run ANY hurry up. They bleep kept throwing quite short over the middle of the field. Of COURSE the Saints allow that! It’s accepting defeat to take 8 yards every 20 seconds!! bleep! Oh and then they get to the 1 with the clock ticking, huddle up, take their sweet bleep time, and do a bleep qb sneak! I mean do you need to huddle and spend a bunch of time to discuss a qb sneak!? Shouldn’t that be an impulse hurry up play!? All in all I was FAR from impressed on the game management there. The Saints were up 3 scores and their play style was aggressive still. The Vikings get down 3 scores and they turn conservative?!

Maybe the Vikings just look good on offense because Thielen and Diggs make so many great catches extending drives. Maybe it’s NOT DeFilippo.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:07 pm

0LDMAN wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:51 pm
jcc6fd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:25 pm
I'm a bit younger and wasn't fully aware of all that went into boutygate before Williams most recent promotion, so maybe I'm a little ignorant, but how does this guy have a job in the NFL? How did he not serve jail time for encouraging players and paying them to not only injure people but to force concussions on players who had concussion history's? That's really messed up.

Furthermore how is Sean Payton still a respected NFL head coach?
Look here son, if you ever take a real look back into the NFL you'll see it only very recently morphed into this 2018 flag football fancy men in tights very politely negotiating each other to the soft turf type of game. The NFL used to be a game of big hits, of dirty plays, of violence, of insane drug use, of getting a concussion meant you came back in the game two plays later if you even left in the first place. It was essentially a game for warriors, played only by the toughest craziest SOBS around. I'm not trying to glorify it, just explaining. Many of the older coaches around today came from this era where I am sure things like a bounty were not only occurring but completely commonplace. This recent past has been purposely swept under the rug as much as possible because today's standards are quite, ahem, different. So Payton is respected and very few people in the NFL care about this because they are familiar with the history. There were many rumors about bounties going on, but stories like that never broke in those days.
If that’s the case we’ve changed for the better
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:35 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:07 pm
0LDMAN wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:51 pm
jcc6fd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:25 pm
I'm a bit younger and wasn't fully aware of all that went into boutygate before Williams most recent promotion, so maybe I'm a little ignorant, but how does this guy have a job in the NFL? How did he not serve jail time for encouraging players and paying them to not only injure people but to force concussions on players who had concussion history's? That's really messed up.

Furthermore how is Sean Payton still a respected NFL head coach?
Look here son, if you ever take a real look back into the NFL you'll see it only very recently morphed into this 2018 flag football fancy men in tights very politely negotiating each other to the soft turf type of game. The NFL used to be a game of big hits, of dirty plays, of violence, of insane drug use, of getting a concussion meant you came back in the game two plays later if you even left in the first place. It was essentially a game for warriors, played only by the toughest craziest SOBS around. I'm not trying to glorify it, just explaining. Many of the older coaches around today came from this era where I am sure things like a bounty were not only occurring but completely commonplace. This recent past has been purposely swept under the rug as much as possible because today's standards are quite, ahem, different. So Payton is respected and very few people in the NFL care about this because they are familiar with the history. There were many rumors about bounties going on, but stories like that never broke in those days.
If that’s the case we’ve changed for the better
Better is an interesting word. Some things are surely better, some things are simply different and make you feel better.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 pm

0LDMAN wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:35 pm
jcc6fd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:07 pm If that’s the case we’ve changed for the better
Better is an interesting word. Some things are surely better, some things are simply different and make you feel better.
I’m not under the illusion that the NFL is a moral enterprise. However, that doesn’t make incremental change unimportant. Caring about players health is good. We can certainly do more.

But the fact that our choices as fans can create these changes is why I originally asked the questions about Williams and Peyton. Kaep gets stonewalled by the league becasue enough people are upset that he kneels, but no one seems to care that known purporters of violence continue to get rich in the NFL. It’s not “tough” or “gritty” to encourage hurting other people. It’s disgusting, and criminal in most contexts. But apparently the moral hierarchy of enough NFL fans/owners/influencers is such that violent crime is lesser than political disagreement (which in Kaep’s case is standing up for black people). I wish that disappointed more people.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:56 am

Eric Bieniemy could get consideration in the off season.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:08 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:21 pm Eh...I guess they can have him. Did you guys see that crapfest last night?
They NEEDED a hurry up and have the offensive talent to come back. They made so many boneheaded decisions it was tough to handle. They weren’t going for two when they should have been, which shows lack of understanding of stats there. They were calling runs up the gut with 5 minutes left down 3 scores with a full field to go, and then huddling back up. They didn’t run ANY hurry up. They bleep kept throwing quite short over the middle of the field. Of COURSE the Saints allow that! It’s accepting defeat to take 8 yards every 20 seconds!! bleep! Oh and then they get to the 1 with the clock ticking, huddle up, take their sweet bleep time, and do a bleep qb sneak! I mean do you need to huddle and spend a bunch of time to discuss a qb sneak!? Shouldn’t that be an impulse hurry up play!? All in all I was FAR from impressed on the game management there. The Saints were up 3 scores and their play style was aggressive still. The Vikings get down 3 scores and they turn conservative?!

Maybe the Vikings just look good on offense because Thielen and Diggs make so many great catches extending drives. Maybe it’s NOT DeFilippo.
Probably good you feel that way, since it looks like he will be going to Cleveland sooner than we thought. I didn't realize he is from Youngstown. :whistle:

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 am

jcc6fd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 pm
jcc6fd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:07 pm If that’s the case we’ve changed for the better
I’m not under the illusion that the NFL is a moral enterprise. However, that doesn’t make incremental change unimportant. Caring about players health is good. We can certainly do more.

But the fact that our choices as fans can create these changes is why I originally asked the questions about Williams and Peyton. Kaep gets stonewalled by the league becasue enough people are upset that he kneels, but no one seems to care that known purporters of violence continue to get rich in the NFL. It’s not “tough” or “gritty” to encourage hurting other people. It’s disgusting, and criminal in most contexts. But apparently the moral hierarchy of enough NFL fans/owners/influencers is such that violent crime is lesser than political disagreement (which in Kaep’s case is standing up for black people). I wish that disappointed more people.
It sounds like you're an idealist with a political bias. For most of its history NFL was violence, but now it sounds as if you're trying to rewrite in retrospect to ease your conscience, or perhaps simply pretend that didn't exist. I wish it disappointed more people that men like Colin were abandoned as children, but for some reason that doesn't get discussed.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:55 pm

0LDMAN wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 am

It sounds like you're an idealist with a political bias. For most of its history NFL was violence, but now it sounds as if you're trying to rewrite in retrospect to ease your conscience, or perhaps simply pretend that didn't exist. I wish it disappointed more people that men like Colin were abandoned as children, but for some reason that doesn't get discussed.
Maybe cool it with the consistent ad hominem :thumbup:

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Blueboy wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:55 pm
0LDMAN wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 am

Maybe cool it with the consistent ad hominem :thumbup:
Good idea, i'll shut it down.