Week IV Discussion thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Week IV Discussion thread

Postby ericanadian » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm still not sold on Goff. He's good at identifying the open receiver, but he's not threading any needles. He has a ton of time back there, a solid run game to create effective play action and his WRs are getting schemed open. He reminds me a lot of Carr in how he's being perceived right now and Carr put up a lot of great stats right up until they fired the offensive coordinator.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:25 pm I'm still not sold on Goff. He's good at identifying the open receiver, but he's not threading any needles. He has a ton of time back there, a solid run game to create effective play action and his WRs are getting schemed open. He reminds me a lot of Carr in how he's being perceived right now and Carr put up a lot of great stats right up until they fired the offensive coordinator.
Can't agree with you on Goff not threading any needles. This is one of the best passes I've seen this season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efo4chvinuE
hoos89 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:40 pm I'm not sure Gurley + Cooks + Woods + Kupp isn't better than or at least as good as Kelce + Hill + Watkins + Hunt.
Yeah, I won't argue it. Easily the two best offensive corps in the leageu.

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Lol Goff Threaded the needle on all of his TDs last night..

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:35 pm

Seriously that one TD to Kupp in the corner of the endzone was amazing.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:37 pm

Lol if accuracy is your knock on Goff... I'll take him everywhere you own him

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:38 pm

Every td was hitting his receiver in stride where only his guy can catch the ball.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:41 pm

ImaRounder wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:38 pm Every td was hitting his receiver in stride where only his guy can catch the ball.
But did it go through a needle?
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:38 am

Blueboy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 pm
ericanadian wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:25 pm I'm still not sold on Goff. He's good at identifying the open receiver, but he's not threading any needles. He has a ton of time back there, a solid run game to create effective play action and his WRs are getting schemed open. He reminds me a lot of Carr in how he's being perceived right now and Carr put up a lot of great stats right up until they fired the offensive coordinator.
Can't agree with you on Goff not threading any needles. This is one of the best passes I've seen this season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efo4chvinuE
hoos89 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:40 pm I'm not sure Gurley + Cooks + Woods + Kupp isn't better than or at least as good as Kelce + Hill + Watkins + Hunt.
While I would not call that threading a needle, (usually a throw through traffic and into tight coverage while he went over the defenders), that's really not the focus of my point. It's a very nice pass. Carr made nice passes, too. The vast majority of Goff's completions are to wide open receivers with almost no pressure. I want to see him hold up when a defense has shut down the run game or at least getting some consistent pressure on him before including him in top five discussion.

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:43 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:38 am
While I would not call that threading a needle, (usually a throw through traffic and into tight coverage while he went over the defenders), that's really not the focus of my point. It's a very nice pass. Carr made nice passes, too. The vast majority of Goff's completions are to wide open receivers with almost no pressure. I want to see him hold up when a defense has shut down the run game or at least getting some consistent pressure on him before including him in top five discussion.
I just hope that, when this happens (poor stats with the run game shut down and poor protection), that people don’t come flocking saying “told you so! He isn’t great every week so he can’t be called elite!”

Just realize that even the GOAT Brady looks pretty miserable at times, especially when he’s not getting his overall very good career protections. It’s about trends and how you stack up to your peers. Right now, he’s stacking up pretty well. A bad game next week won’t change that. He’ll still be stacking up quite well.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:02 am

Valhalla wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:43 am
ericanadian wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:38 am

I just hope that, when this happens (poor stats with the run game shut down and poor protection), that people don’t come flocking saying “told you so! He isn’t great every week so he can’t be called elite!”

Just realize that even the GOAT Brady looks pretty miserable at times, especially when he’s not getting his overall very good career protections. It’s about trends and how you stack up to your peers. Right now, he’s stacking up pretty well. A bad game next week won’t change that. He’ll still be stacking up quite well.
That's fair, but he looked mediocre to me most of last year, so to me, the opposite is happening here. I also thought Carr was going to be bad right from the beginning, but I don't take joy from that, especially as a Raider fan. Guys with nine inch hands and/or a lot of offensive scheme changes early in their career tend to perform poorly over the long term. I've seen some indications that teams have found ways to scheme around small hands and I'm hopeful that they're successful, because Goff is a good decision maker and fits this offense well. Carr was also solid with Musgrave calling the plays and they're both fun to watch when things are moving well. That said, I'm not paying top five QB prices to make that bet at this point.

K - Just a stupid kicker

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:30 am

dm1129 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:41 pm
Phaded wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:52 pm People are acting like I said Goff is bad. I never said any such thing. He looked great, but with that much time in the pocket lets not act like he is only one of a few who can do this. People are now throwing the top 5 suggestion out there and it has even been suggested he could end up the QB1. He very well COULD but he very well could not. Goff played a great game, but the Vikings played atrocious D. They were severely outcoached and out gameplanned. Goff took full advantage of that absolutely and played a great game but the "new QB1", "new RB1" or "new WR1" stuff is getting old. It sounds like every week someone has a hot performance. By the end of the year there will 25 top 10 guys at each position at this rate.

Cousins looked just as good - if not better, but had pressure in his face most of the night.

On another note..

It also might be time to think the Vikings are still hungover from their miracle victory. They have not won since week 1 and are likely going to lose next week too. This is not the same team - for whatever reason.
You have made multiple statements in these forums about how Goff is nothing special, etc......not exactly a ringing endorsement. There was actually a lot in this game that Goff did that very few can do. When I stated Goff could be top 5 this season, it was not in any way based on one game. Goff has been playing at an extremely high level for nearly a full season of games and is still improving. His receiving corps is young and under contract. He has a young elite RB to keep opposing defenses honest who is also under contract for 6 years. Most importantly, he has a head coach who may be the best offensive mind in the game.
And I'm not afraid to change my opinion or admit I was wrong. However, I still do not think he is "special". But the problem with a word like that is that "special" might mean something different to you than it does to me. I am much more critical of players than I probably would be, but generally speaking - I believe there is a lack of special quarterbacks right now overall. So while it may seem like a huge knock on Goff, it is not necessarily such. Plenty of quarterbacks who are not special can perform given the right coaching, system and year. When I said this, it was last year - and to be honest, he didn't look that good last year. He looks better this year - but I still do not think he is an elite quarterback.

Quarterback consistency is oddly enough - extremely frustrating and maddening to find (especially for these young guys), which is why I'm not ready to crown the guy yet based on his statistics. His throw in the corner of the end zone to Kupp was very impressive; but the rest of the night - nothing made me say "wow".

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:19 pm

haha, oh man.

hasn't threaded the needle? has too much time back there? looked mediocre last year? compared to carr?

sometimes people don't realise what their eyes are seeing.

sure goff looked a little shaky in the first half of last season. he was a rookie who had the worst coaching staff in nfl history with the worst offense in nfl history. an offense so difficult to learn yet so easy for opposing dcs to defend. so when mcvay came into the building he had to unteach goff everything those bozos infected his brain with in 2016 and start again. so for the first half of last season goff was just feeling his way through games trying to comes to terms with the new offense. not that he was bad, just not great. he was showing promise but looked like he hadn't quite mastered the offense.

since the bye last season goff has been one of the best qbs in the league. like top 5 best. looking at his play this season it could be argued he is the best qb in the league. yes, that's right.

that is all.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:13 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:41 pm
ImaRounder wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:38 pm Every td was hitting his receiver in stride where only his guy can catch the ball.
But did it go through a needle?
lol

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Phaded wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:30 am
dm1129 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:41 pm
Phaded wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:52 pm People are acting like I said Goff is bad. I never said any such thing. He looked great, but with that much time in the pocket lets not act like he is only one of a few who can do this. People are now throwing the top 5 suggestion out there and it has even been suggested he could end up the QB1. He very well COULD but he very well could not. Goff played a great game, but the Vikings played atrocious D. They were severely outcoached and out gameplanned. Goff took full advantage of that absolutely and played a great game but the "new QB1", "new RB1" or "new WR1" stuff is getting old. It sounds like every week someone has a hot performance. By the end of the year there will 25 top 10 guys at each position at this rate.

Cousins looked just as good - if not better, but had pressure in his face most of the night.

On another note..

It also might be time to think the Vikings are still hungover from their miracle victory. They have not won since week 1 and are likely going to lose next week too. This is not the same team - for whatever reason.
You have made multiple statements in these forums about how Goff is nothing special, etc......not exactly a ringing endorsement. There was actually a lot in this game that Goff did that very few can do. When I stated Goff could be top 5 this season, it was not in any way based on one game. Goff has been playing at an extremely high level for nearly a full season of games and is still improving. His receiving corps is young and under contract. He has a young elite RB to keep opposing defenses honest who is also under contract for 6 years. Most importantly, he has a head coach who may be the best offensive mind in the game.
And I'm not afraid to change my opinion or admit I was wrong. However, I still do not think he is "special". But the problem with a word like that is that "special" might mean something different to you than it does to me. I am much more critical of players than I probably would be, but generally speaking - I believe there is a lack of special quarterbacks right now overall. So while it may seem like a huge knock on Goff, it is not necessarily such. Plenty of quarterbacks who are not special can perform given the right coaching, system and year. When I said this, it was last year - and to be honest, he didn't look that good last year. He looks better this year - but I still do not think he is an elite quarterback.

Quarterback consistency is oddly enough - extremely frustrating and maddening to find (especially for these young guys), which is why I'm not ready to crown the guy yet based on his statistics. His throw in the corner of the end zone to Kupp was very impressive; but the rest of the night - nothing made me say "wow".
The notion that many QBs could do what Goff did on Thursday is really incorrect. To say he had only one impressive throw in the game reveals more about you than Goff. Before the game you said the Vikings had shut down the Rams last year and the offense is virtually the same so there was no reason they could not do it again. This tells me you have a cursory knowledge of the Rams offense and of Goff at best. McVay's offense is very complex. At the beginning of last season, he was only using a very limited portion of it allowing his players to adapt. Each week more of McVay's offense was implemeted and Goff was progressing both as a player as well as in his knowledge of the offense. The common belief held by many that he was mediocre last year is simply dead wrong. During the second half of the season, he was playing at a very high level, there is no way to refute this. He routinely throws into tight windows and his accuracy is excellent.

This off-season, McVay added a substantial amount to the offense completing the process of implemeting his offense. Last season, McVay had limtations on his game plans because he did not have all of his offense at his disposal. This year, McVay does not have that limitation. Just as important, Goff is now excelling at the cerebral part of playing QB and it is this part of playing QB is that the vast majority of fantasy owners are clueless about. The amount of information Goff is processing pre snap and making adjustments as a result is striking. He is already better at this than a large majority of veteran QBs. When a receiver is wide open, it is not only a result of McVay, it is also because of Goff and his pre-snap reads at work. McVay has given Goff a lot of latitude in making adjustments this season based on what he sees. Based on everything I know about McVay, he would not do this unless he had a great deal of confidence in Goff. Once the ball is snapped, Goff processes his reads extremely quickly. Additionally, he reads the entire field which many QBs simply cannot do effectively. Lastly, Goff is still improving. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are 2 of the best QBs this generation with Brady considered the GOAT by many. A primary reason for their success was their grasp of the mental part of playing QB.

To play devil's advocate and go along with the notion that Goff is simply a product of the situation, his situation is one of the most stable in the league. I said earlier in this thread that McVay and Goff today are similar to Belichick and Brady during their second season. Brady would not be 'Brady' if he had not had Belichick as his coach. Goff has McVay, and I do not see that changing for a very long time.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:05 am

Game time!

As always good luck to your NFL & Fantasy teams!
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..