ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Martavis Bryant to the Raiders

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:02 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:25 am
Phaded wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:29 am
Dookmariot wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:11 am

Mostly lurking. Not been the best year for our Raiders or our Jays...
Between the Donaldson & Mack news.. it was a rough start to the long weekend.
Jays aren’t competing and weren’t going to resign him. Surprised they got anything for a 1 month rental on a player who isn’t fully healthy. The real tragedy is that they didn’t trade him before the season for a real return because they thought they’d compete.
I concur. I honestly never thought the Blue Jays had a serious chance to compete - but you cannot blame them for wanting to. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Also - Bryant (along with Coleman, Miller and Perriman) was NOT claimed off of waivers.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:39 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:02 pm
jcc6fd wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:25 am
Phaded wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:29 am

Between the Donaldson & Mack news.. it was a rough start to the long weekend.
Jays aren’t competing and weren’t going to resign him. Surprised they got anything for a 1 month rental on a player who isn’t fully healthy. The real tragedy is that they didn’t trade him before the season for a real return because they thought they’d compete.
I concur. I honestly never thought the Blue Jays had a serious chance to compete - but you cannot blame them for wanting to. 8-)
From what I've read, even management didn't think the Jays would compete. They were just worried about fan relations taking a hit and firming the belief that Rogers is unwilling to spend money.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Yeah - losing Donaldson was not so much about not being a contender as it was losing a guy I really liked.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Blowing a 3rd on Martavis :lol: good lord... A 2nd is fetching franchise Qb's and they gave a 3rd for him

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Gruden's been watching too much Draft Day

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:32 pm Blowing a 3rd on Martavis :lol: good lord... A 2nd is fetching franchise Qb's and they gave a 3rd for him
Yeah, but by all accounts the Pats got fleeced with that deal.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:19 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:11 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:32 pm Blowing a 3rd on Martavis :lol: good lord... A 2nd is fetching franchise Qb's and they gave a 3rd for him
Not to de-rail the thread, but all the leverage is with the team that is acquiring the QB. The team selling isn't going to re-sign so they have to sell. Alex Smith went for a player and a 3rd. Tyrod a 3rd I believe.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:22 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:19 pm
Not to de-rail the thread, but all the leverage is with the team that is acquiring the QB. The team selling isn't going to re-sign so they have to sell. Alex Smith went for a player and a 3rd. Tyrod a 3rd I believe.
There are other factors at play here. Washington has to pay Smith. Tyrod is not a franchise quarterback. Garrapollo was on the last year of his contract and required a massive extension. A 2nd seemed like a high price to pay for the right at first crack to give an unproven backup a mega contract. Martavis was still on his rookie deal for 2 years. That’s cheap starting caliber talent, which is why he had value. The miscalculation only stemmed from his repeated substance abuse
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:22 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:22 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:19 pm

There are other factors at play here. Washington has to pay Smith. Tyrod is not a franchise quarterback. Garrapollo was on the last year of his contract and required a massive extension. A 2nd seemed like a high price to pay for the right at first crack to give an unproven backup a mega contract. Martavis was still on his rookie deal for 2 years. That’s cheap starting caliber talent, which is why he had value. The miscalculation only stemmed from his repeated substance abuse
True.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:52 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:22 pm Martavis was still on his rookie deal for 2 years. That’s cheap starting caliber talent, which is why he had value. The miscalculation only stemmed from his repeated substance abuse
Well yeah. He was a headcase that never put together a full productive season. With how closely these teams guard their draft picks and the value they put on them it wasn't cheap at all for a giant question-mark.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:10 am

The pick used was the 3rd they picked up from Arizona for moving back in the 1st round (from 1.10 to 1.15) - so it is possible they thought of it as 'free money' since a lot of indications seem to suggest they would have taken Miller at 1.10 (once McGlinchey went).

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:27 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:10 am The pick used was the 3rd they picked up from Arizona for moving back in the 1st round (from 1.10 to 1.15) - so it is possible they thought of it as 'free money' since a lot of indications seem to suggest they would have taken Miller at 1.10 (once McGlinchey went).
Exactly but it was still a massive overpay. 5th would have been fine. This is why you don't let a HC call the shots.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:38 am

That "free" pick could have been used a lot more effectively. I was against the trade from the get-go, even before the suspension.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:52 pm
jcc6fd wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:22 pm Martavis was still on his rookie deal for 2 years. That’s cheap starting caliber talent, which is why he had value. The miscalculation only stemmed from his repeated substance abuse
Well yeah. He was a headcase that never put together a full productive season. With how closely these teams guard their draft picks and the value they put on them it wasn't cheap at all for a giant question-mark.
To be clear, I was on the side of the Raiders overpaying for Martavis pre-suspension, but it was related to his suspension risk, not his talent. Obviously it’s a moot point now, but the reason a 3rd was paid for him was the contract years and salary points I noted earlier.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave