Royce Freeman

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Lssd2012
Role Player
Role Player

Is Royce Freeman getting too much hype?

Postby Lssd2012 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:34 pm

In redraft leagues, I'm seeing that Freeman is going as high as in the top 25 picks and is consistently getting drafted within the first 4 rounds, which seems awfully high for me. Some compare him to Kareem's situation last year but Hunt showed far more in the 2017 preseason and even the coaches had appointed him the starting role without question once Ware tore his ACL.

I have the 1.02 in an upcoming rookie/FA draft and while I was set on drafting Royce, I am leaning more and more towards Penny now due to what I perceive is the superior talent. Freeman has had some nice 20+ yarders in the preseason but he has generally looked fairly slow, non-agile and without creativity (no spin moves, impressive jukes, great displays of vision etc). He seems to get what's given to him and always fall forward but an RB1 needs to show a bit more.

What are you guys seeing and think of his draft position?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Is Royce Freeman getting too much hype?

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:40 pm

He might lead that backfield in touches starting week 1. He gets the goal line work, but he won't catch many passes. Week 1 he let a pass clunk right off his hands on a well thrown ball on 3rd down. I think Lindsay may get the passing down work. I like both backs a lot. Long term, I like Penny because he has a better receiving skill set IMO, but Freeman may be worth more in 6 weeks if you are looking for a quick value bump. I like both these RB's profiles. I think they will both be successful backs, but I like Penny with RW and his PPR skill set for the long haul.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:52 pm

In redraft it'd be fine to draft him higher. Dynasty I don't see it being worth it. He's a fine running back who will contribute, but I don't see staying power.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Devontae Booker isn't very good and there's really no other competition. Situation is probably contributing a lot, though to be fair Freeman has definitely had a lot of times in college where he's looked good on tape. I think the hype is coming from the fact that Elway said they view him as a bellcow.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:04 pm

For a reference, I just took him at 1.04 in a rookie draft. I like Freeman, and stole him in the early 2nd in a 12 team superflex a few months ago. I think Freeman has a pretty easy path to the starting role in DEN. Maybe he isn’t the “long term” answer at RB, but honestly who is “long term” anymore?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Overall this is a solid class of RB's. I like Penny at 1.2 in Dynasty but could see him going in the top 4-6 range in Dynasty.

I am in the middle of a redraft right now and he went 5.7 pick 55 in this 12 team PPr league which was a good spot for him. I took Engram TE at pick 54. I don't have quite that high in a redraft but don't think it was much of a reach.

Top 25 in a redraft ppr is foolish or really ballzy depending on perspective. I am on the foolish side of that equation.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Is Royce Freeman getting too much hype? He's a guy with over a thousand college touches already eroding his tires, and won't be doing much on passing-downs with both Booker and now Lindsay factoring there. So in dynasty, yes, he's getting a bit too much hype right now. I see him going 1.2 and 1.3, which is just too high in this class for a 2-down back that might start to break down before his rookie contract is up.

I totally think he's in play for over 200 carries this year, though. So don't me wrong, the immediate fantasy usability is there, which is something several of the other top RBs in this class lack at the moment. This makes Royce's hype a bit more reasonable in redraft. But in dynasty, I really think at 1.2/1.3 people should be shooting for an every-down profile with less mileage.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

mclilj
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mclilj » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:17 pm

I think Freeman is still obviously the back to own in Denver, but I expect more out Booker than just about every other NFL fan it seems. If you're playing PPR, yes IMO freeman is over-hyped.
Team 1:
2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 3RWT 0PPR 8Teams
QBs: Brady, Wentz, Prescott, Trubisky
RBs: Gurley, Cook, Lindsay, Henry, Lewis, Hyde, Murray
WRs: Hill, Cooper, ARobinson, Sutton, Fitzgerald, TSmith(NO), Parker, Cain
TEs: Kelce, Burton, Engram
Def: Rams
K:
2019 Picks 3, 4
2020 Picks: 3, 3, 4

Team 2:
2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2WRT 1PPR 8TEAMS
QBs: Mahomes, Wentz, Lock, Carr, Mariota
WRs: MThomas, DAdams, ACooper, OBJ, Kupp, RAnderson, Renfro, Shepherd, Agholor, JMeyers
RBs: Mixon, Henry, Drake, JK Dobbins, Akers, Howard, McKinnon, Hyde, Pollard, DThompson
TEs: Waller, Engram, Graham, Eifert
K: Zeurlein
2020 Picks: 1.06 (JK Dobbins) acquired 1.09 OTC (Akers) 14 overall, 17 overall
2021 Picks: 2nd, 3rd

Mefisto
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mefisto » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:07 pm

I'd say he's getting the hype that he deserves right now, especially in standard scoring leagues. With all the injuries and poor showings of the other rookies RB's, Royce is the only one that has flashed outside of Saquon and maybe Chubb. When it comes to RB's, opportunity is really one of the biggest factors, and Royce has one of the best opportunities. When it comes to rookie RB's, I think the case could be made for a lot of them for picks 1.2-1.5, and, again, out of all the RB's not named Saquon, Royce is healthiest and has looked the part. I wouldn't draft him top 35 in a startup or in the first 4 rounds in a redraft but after that he's as good a pick as any. As to his college stats concern, he wasn't exactly catchless and, as Gurley has shown, catching can be added to his repertoire. Regarding his work load, Matt Forte had a very similar concern coming out of college, that he had too many miles on his tires. However, he was able to put up several seasons of quality stats.

If people are looking at him as a RB1 then yes, i think they are overvaluing him. However, if you are looking for several years of RB2, with some RB1 years, then I don't think he's being overvalued.
12 Team Non-PPR league. 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DL, 1LB, 1DB, 2DL/LB/DB
QB: Brady, Stafford, Mariota, Tannehill
RB: L. Miller, A. Collins, K. Drake, R. Freeman, K. Dixon, D. Foreman, D. Murray, J. Allen, Gore
WR: Hopkins, ARob, S. Diggs, D. Parker, M. Lee, J. Matthews, T. Lockett, D. Pettis, Callaway
TE: T. Kelce, E. Ebron, C. Brate
K: Bailey, Coons, Boswell
DL: D. Hunter, R. Quinn, D. Lawrence
LB: Von Miller, A. Ogletree, B. Wagner T. Edmunds
DB: H. Smith, J. Cyprien, L. Collins
2017 Superbowl Champion

10 Team PPR League. Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 1Superflex, 1Flex, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 3DFlex
QB: Luck, Goff, Trubisky, Prescott, Tannehill
RB: Gurley, Mixon, Barkley, D. Foreman
WR: Kupp, Cooper, C. Davis, Parker, T. Lockett, Kupp, W. Fuller, Sutton, John Brown, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Burton
DL: D. Lawrence, Ogunjobi, Ansah, M. Davenport
LB: L. Kuechly, T. Smith, Kiko Alonso, T. Edmunds, J. Smith, R. Foster
DB: Clinton-Dix, D. James, T. Edmunds, M. Jenkins

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Definitely overhyped a bit, as all the rookie RB's were. People chasing last year's rookie RB's.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:01 am

Just look at his positive responses here and you’ll see why he’s being over hyped. Situation, situation, situation. Yes his situation is better than other rookie RBs, but a month ago he wasn’t a consideration for a top 10 pick, meaning both the community and the NFL recognized several position players as more talented. If people are actually comparing him to Hunt they’ll be disappointed. Hunt is the exception, not the rule. He’s fine to own but if you’re taking him above Penny, Michel, Chubb or Guice you’re doing it wrong.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:25 am

yes. i like him a lot but people all of a sudden became smitten and i think thats funny
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:28 am

BigBawseRoss wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:25 am yes. i like him a lot but people all of a sudden became smitten and i think thats funny
Agreed, good running back, but not that good

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:20 am

I was skeptical about taking him at 1.07... I'm pleased by how he is playing, but with how Moore and cutting have been playing I'm not sure about it.. I think for team need it's good, but I wouldn't take Freeman over anyone other than Guice if you think he is done like how ACL tears used to be career enders
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:46 am

ninotoreS wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:18 pm He's a guy with over a thousand college touches already eroding his tires
Historically this is actually a positive, not a negative. Generally players who have had high college volumes have demonstrated the ability to handle large workloads and are more durable.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.