Ronnie Jones

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Ronnie Jones

Postby ImaRounder » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 am

Peyton Barber is a much better all around back than Ronald Jones. Period.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:46 am

ImaRounder wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 am Peyton Barber is a much better all around back than Ronald Jones. Period.
I actually think Barber is a good running back who will have a role because RoJo probably shouldn't get 300+ carries, but your statement is a little misleading. Barber isn't near the running back that Jones is. Sure, he's a better blocker and receiver, but he's not a better running back. He will steal time because of that, but RoJo should (and I think will) be the primary ball carrier.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:41 am

Apparently on the twitter, RoJo has fumbled 2x today on handoff exchanges...
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 am

Ronald, my man, get it together

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:06 am

He might be cracking under the pressure. At this point, I don't think we can count on him making a major year one impact.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:09 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:06 am He might be cracking under the pressure. At this point, I don't think we can count on him making a major year one impact.
Eh, still maybe a little overreaction. I was expecting more of RB2 production from him this year, which is still reasonable given what I think he is capable of.

rmacattack6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rmacattack6 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am

Ice wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:21 am Not a fan of this player. He could be serviceable but isn't really fast or quick. His body type is too lean for my liking.

Looks like slower version of Charles Simms but with better vision. Pad level is not good.

Wasn't really even on my draft board. Seemed like he was average in all areas. Maybe he will surprise but I see an average player that isn't very fluid on team that can't run the ball. Tampa could finish last in YPC this year.
No offense but I think every point you make is wrong except about his weight...

He looks amazingly fast and quick and shifty (when you watch him other than at the combine)

He is an incredibly powerful run for his size BECAUSE he ran so fast with such a good pad level, I do think his pad level rises when in the open field but I feel like that aids in lateral agility, but when there is no way around a guy Jones puts his head down and goes through them

I thought his vision was so-so. He is great at hitting a cutback and outrunning everyone (at least at college) but he is so fast the sometimes he is past the point of no return before a better hole can develop
No offense taken, I have reviewed practically every play he ran in college. RB evaluation is something I take very seriously and no issues with criticism. I had plenty when I took Richardson completely off my draft board and when I contended Lacy was nothing special and probably a one contract player. I was blasted pretty hard when I went against the grain on Reggie Bush claiming he would be a far better receiving back than a running back. I was laughed at when I drafted Arian Foster in the first round of a 1000 dollar redraft league until he carried me to a title.

I have also had my fair share of misses over the years. I hit in a big money league on Hunt last season but missed on Kamara.

While I see a willingness in Jones I see no real power. In the NFL he will get swallowed up running to his left. You can count on one hand the times he transitions the ball to his left hand. You can count on one hand his weak non existent stiff arm capability. His first step quickness IMO is below average.

He is way too upright for his smallish frame and doesn't look like he can add much weight. While I like his long speed when he gets in the open I do not like his burst to the corner. Think he will struggle against NFL caliber players given the speed to power ratios are infinitely better in the NFL.

He should be a serviceable NFL player but IMO he will have to vastly improve his catch radius and learn to catch away from his body. Don't think he much of a chance in pass protection. He is a bit stiff in the upper body.

I didn't pay any attention to his combine, I saw all the tape I needed to make a determination. Would just as soon own a player like Duke Johnson who can already catch and has a far better burst.

Time will tell but my read is he is a much better college player than he will be in the pros.

Could be wrong but not a player I would consider drafting at this point in fantasy. I see a change of pace back that will struggle in early downs especially when the field shrinks in the red zone.
Hey Ice,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on all the RBs in this class. Seems like you are quite knowledgeable about the subject in hand! If you have already commented your analysis somewhere could you send me the link? Thank you,

Fantasy Football Rookie
Team 1: 8 Team Standard Scoring, 2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3 Flex, K, DEF

QB - Jackson, Stafford, Darnold
RB - Chubb, Mack, Henderson, Mostert, Howard, Coleman, Cohen, T.Pollard, D.Harris, D. Freeman
WR - Hopkins, Thielen, Robinson, Metcalf, M.Jones, Washington, Arcega-Whiteside
TE - Henry, Howard
K -
DEF -

2020 8th, 14th, and 17th overall
2021 2,2,3,3,4

Team 2: 10 Team PPR Scoring, 2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3 Flex

QB - Wilson, Brady, , Cousins, Minshew
RB - Chubb, Mack, Coleman, Penny, D Harris, D. Freeman
WR -Thomas, Moore, Boyd, Ridley, Sanders, Jeffrey, Crowder, Campbell, Miller, Sims Jr
TE - Kittle, Hurst, Knox

2020 10th, 13th, 22nd, and 36th overall
2021 1,2,3,3,4
2022 1,2,2,3,4

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:13 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:09 am
ninotoreS wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:06 am He might be cracking under the pressure. At this point, I don't think we can count on him making a major year one impact.
Eh, still maybe a little overreaction. I was expecting more of RB2 production from him this year, which is still reasonable given what I think he is capable of.
Weekly RB2 fantasy tier production expectation is almost impossible for a 2-down change-of-pace back.

RoJo has no realistic shot at it if he's a second fiddle that doesn't catch passes.

Objective realism isn't an overreaction. Presently, the evidence points toward Jones being a boom or bust RB3/flex this year, and I'm only granting that much because I know he has home-run speed.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:13 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:09 am
Weekly RB2 fantasy tier production expectation is almost impossible for a 2-down change-of-pace back.

RoJo has no realistic shot at it if he's a second fiddle that doesn't catch passes.

Objective realism isn't an overreaction. Presently, the evidence points toward Jones being a boom or bust RB3/flex this year, and I'm only granting that much because I know he has home-run speed.
If he's able to take over the primary ballcarrier role by even halfway through the season, I think he's an RB2. I don't think he's just going to be a change of pace guy.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 pm

rmacattack6 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am
Ice wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm

No offense but I think every point you make is wrong except about his weight...

He looks amazingly fast and quick and shifty (when you watch him other than at the combine)

He is an incredibly powerful run for his size BECAUSE he ran so fast with such a good pad level, I do think his pad level rises when in the open field but I feel like that aids in lateral agility, but when there is no way around a guy Jones puts his head down and goes through them

I thought his vision was so-so. He is great at hitting a cutback and outrunning everyone (at least at college) but he is so fast the sometimes he is past the point of no return before a better hole can develop
No offense taken, I have reviewed practically every play he ran in college. RB evaluation is something I take very seriously and no issues with criticism. I had plenty when I took Richardson completely off my draft board and when I contended Lacy was nothing special and probably a one contract player. I was blasted pretty hard when I went against the grain on Reggie Bush claiming he would be a far better receiving back than a running back. I was laughed at when I drafted Arian Foster in the first round of a 1000 dollar redraft league until he carried me to a title.

I have also had my fair share of misses over the years. I hit in a big money league on Hunt last season but missed on Kamara.

While I see a willingness in Jones I see no real power. In the NFL he will get swallowed up running to his left. You can count on one hand the times he transitions the ball to his left hand. You can count on one hand his weak non existent stiff arm capability. His first step quickness IMO is below average.

He is way too upright for his smallish frame and doesn't look like he can add much weight. While I like his long speed when he gets in the open I do not like his burst to the corner. Think he will struggle against NFL caliber players given the speed to power ratios are infinitely better in the NFL.

He should be a serviceable NFL player but IMO he will have to vastly improve his catch radius and learn to catch away from his body. Don't think he much of a chance in pass protection. He is a bit stiff in the upper body.

I didn't pay any attention to his combine, I saw all the tape I needed to make a determination. Would just as soon own a player like Duke Johnson who can already catch and has a far better burst.

Time will tell but my read is he is a much better college player than he will be in the pros.

Could be wrong but not a player I would consider drafting at this point in fantasy. I see a change of pace back that will struggle in early downs especially when the field shrinks in the red zone.
Hey Ice,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on all the RBs in this class. Seems like you are quite knowledgeable about the subject in hand! If you have already commented your analysis somewhere could you send me the link? Thank you,

Fantasy Football Rookie
Traveling a lot the next couple of weeks but I like a lot of RB's in this class NFL wise but only see 4 with elite fantasy potential which probably means only 2 will produce given history

Fantasy wise, I tend to go with specific types of backs that show 3 down potential early in their careers.

Barkley is consensus #1

I have Penny clearly the #2 back in this class. His tape gets better the more you watch it IMO. He is outstanding after contact and shows plenty of gears in routes with an excellent blend of power, quickness, speed, and well above average route acumen. His pass blocking is his only legit concern but that is a learned trait provided the back shows vision which Penny has. Having a mobile QB will keep him on the field even if he is only adequate in pass protection.

BTW, Barkley was one of the worst in the league after contact which is why I wouldn't put him very close to Zeke as an example.

The next two in this class from my perspective are Michel and Johnson. Michel shows a lot of skill. Johnson shows incredible upside. In all honesty it wouldn't surprise me at all if Johnson is ultimately the very best back in this class. My only real concern with him is durability. He has a body type that may not hold up but if he can add muscle over time his patience through the hole and burst is really good. Can't predict injury but his body type and past injuries are a bit concerning. Reminds me more of Bell in his running style than any back I have ever seen but that comparison doesn't show itself all the time.

I am pretty high on Chubb and Guice NFL wise but do not really see either as true 3 down backs. Should be very good fantasy backs from a mid 10-13 consistency point production but see both as RB2's in fantasy thus would draft either over 4 WR's in this draft. I like Chubb Better. Concerned about Guice's left leg before the injury and his actual want to attitude. Guice is the biggest risk to be what I call a one contract player in this league. He has the talent to surprise but not a player I wanted any part of in the first round. I get I may be in the minority on this player and could be wrong but he concerns me and I moved him further down when 6 teams passed on him for other backs. That should concern all of his advocates as his raw talent running the ball is better than some today.

There are several around here that know their stuff I am finding and we disagree on some of these players. In the end study up and watch a lot of tape. Focus on how players cut left and right. When scouts watch Michel and Penny they will notice right off how well they gear down and accelerate out of breaks. Both are pretty rare in this skill set. This is a key reason they went so high in the draft while the masses were focused on power.

Good Luck
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:06 pm

He caught a football! Consistency is the issue with him. Obviously he CAN catch, but it's no good if the next one bounces off your chest. Only time will tell.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:06 pm
He caught a football! Consistency is the issue with him. Obviously he CAN catch, but it's no good if the next one bounces off your chest. Only time will tell.
Yup we shouldn't overreact to a nice catch in practice just like we shouldn't overreact to a single dropped pass last week. Or screw it and jump on whatever confirms our prior evaluations.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm
we shouldn't overreact to a nice catch in practice just like we shouldn't overreact to a single dropped pass last week.
You must be new here.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:25 pm

He just needs to post a workout tape now and we are good.