Nick Chubb Thread: Chubb = Stud

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Nick Chubb catching passes in camp

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:06 am

Jason3123 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:31 pm
Of course there's value. Browns are still allowed to play football. But going to the Browns is a curse. Pryor 1 and done. Braylon 1 hit wonder. No QB for 20+ years. Hue Jackson is trash. Gordon 1 year wonder. They come and go. Dysfunctional organization. Spending a top rookie pick on a Brown is just gross. It's the price of investment that is horrible. Just like all these poor souls spending high capital on Josh Gordon. It's like they enjoy cutting themselves in the shower.
were you saying the same thing about rams players before last season?

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:21 am

Rosenbluu wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 pm
Defender wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 pm
Defender wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:37 am ...
Just rewatched the video, and many of the clips I thought were Chubb, I now think were Hyde. I still think Chubb will be a true 3-down back, but I don’t really see anything in the OP video to objectively confirm my preconceptions.
Lol I truly don’t see how Chubb is anyone’s RB2... I would take Guice/RoJo/Penny/Michel easily over Chubb
I never said I would select Chubb before Guice. (I see them as being in the same tier, and age is the tiebreaker.) But I would easily take Chubb before Jones II, Penny, and Michel. Here is my post from the 2018 RB rookie discussion tread:
Defender wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:44 am Barkley
Guice
Chubb

Penny
Michel
Freeman/Johnson [can’t put one above the other]
Jones III

Ballage

After this, I value the next ~10-15 RBs pretty equally.
The standard is the standard.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 am

Guice is catching a lot of passes in OTAs. Doesn’t mean much. Wait till training camp.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:29 am

Haley likes feeding a stud RB. Bell had 75 receptions or more in 4 out of the past 5 years. The one year he didn't it was because he was injured. I think they've got their guy in Chubb. I'm VERY excited to see what he does.

He may not be a "stud" year 1 because he'll be learning the schemes and offense. And Hyde is no slouch and fits Haley's scheme well. But, my prediction is that Chubb will be a top 10 dynasty RB by the end of 2019 and be the second best RB to own in this draft. That's why I have him at RB2. I can see the argument for Guice, Michel and Penny all at the #2 spot as well. But, based on what I've watched of Chubb and my excitement for the direction of the Browns, he's my #2 behind only Barkley in this draft.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Defender wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:21 am
Rosenbluu wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 pm
Defender wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Just rewatched the video, and many of the clips I thought were Chubb, I now think were Hyde. I still think Chubb will be a true 3-down back, but I don’t really see anything in the OP video to objectively confirm my preconceptions.
Lol I truly don’t see how Chubb is anyone’s RB2... I would take Guice/RoJo/Penny/Michel easily over Chubb
I never said I would select Chubb before Guice. (I see them as being in the same tier, and age is the tiebreaker.) But I would easily take Chubb before Jones II, Penny, and Michel. Here is my post from the 2018 RB rookie discussion tread:
Defender wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:44 am Barkley
Guice
Chubb

Penny
Michel
Freeman/Johnson [can’t put one above the other]
Jones III

Ballage

After this, I value the next ~10-15 RBs pretty equally.
Yeah, I don't think it's LOL either. Chubb was a better producer, better athlete and was drafted higher than Guice, for instance (who is the most overvalued rookie in Fantasy drafts IMO, consistently going a 1.02) I think Chubb is a much better instinctual runner than Guice, who I think has very poor vision at times. I think Chubb is the much safer prospect than either Guice or Rojo.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:58 pm

Chubbs injury was really gruesome though and as i think he has bounced back nicely i dont think he will ever be as good as he could have been before that injury.
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:48 pm

playa_hata wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:58 pm Chubbs injury was really gruesome though and as i think he has bounced back nicely i dont think he will ever be as good as he could have been before that injury.
Probably not, which is unfortunate, but he's still better than most backs in this class. Willis McGahee still had a solid career, after a bad injury. I think Chubb being so young, and a bit of a genetic freak allowed him to maintain a lot more athletecism compared to most.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:27 pm

sloth8u wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:43 am I had Chubb #2 predraft. Refuse to own browns, therefore have and will continue to pass on him.

If you don't understand that, Chubb owners will in short time.
WTF; Nice Shark thought process in a Guppy kind of way!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:07 pm Chubb is the most overrated rookie RB this year.

This also means nothing. Jordan Howard is working on his pass catching too. Which also means nothing.

I think the Browns can have an effective RBBC in real life but it bodes poorly for fantasy owners.
By what standard? Do you mean by how much he projects to score this year, or ADP in rookie drafts? ADP in rookie drafts it's Guice by a mile for me. 1.02 for the 7th RB selected is a bit much for me. He's good, but has not really shown to be quantifiably better than Chubb at all. Just younger. Don't get me wrong, I like Guice a lot, and Chubb. but while I agree Chubb is not a pass catcher, he's a superior Jordan Howard in a division that needs that type of back.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 am

PNWHawkfan wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:18 pm I think anyone saying they want ROJO over Chubb shouldn't be trusted. I haven't said much this year but come on man. This young man is gonna turn some heads at the RB position. Tons of players have had knee injuries at a young age and bounced back to 95%. Chubb was averaging 8 yards per carry, 1500 yards his Freshman season and only played in 8 games that year. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Chubb this year and they are going to regret it this time next year.
Interesting. I typically don’t trust people who don’t respect the opinions of others.

PNWHawkfan
Starter
Starter

Postby PNWHawkfan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:37 am

thebeast wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 am
PNWHawkfan wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:18 pm I think anyone saying they want ROJO over Chubb shouldn't be trusted. I haven't said much this year but come on man. This young man is gonna turn some heads at the RB position. Tons of players have had knee injuries at a young age and bounced back to 95%. Chubb was averaging 8 yards per carry, 1500 yards his Freshman season and only played in 8 games that year. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Chubb this year and they are going to regret it this time next year.
Interesting. I typically don’t trust people who don’t respect the opinions of others.
Fair enough. meant no disrespect though.
12 Team 38 man Rosters PPR/QB & TE Premium league QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR-TE/Flex and IDP (QB 6pts per TD)
QB- Justin Herbert, Kenny Pickett
RB-Bij. Robinson, J. Taylor, S. Barkley, D. Swift, JK Dobbins, G. Edwards, L. Fournette
WR-Justin Jefferson, Stefon Diggs, Diontae Johnson, Calvin Ridley, Josh Downs, Jayden Reed, Brandon Cooks
TE-Kelce, M. Andrews, T. Mcbride, C. Otton
K-Brandon Aubrey

IDP- 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 FLEX 2 PT per Tackle, .5 PT per Assist. 6 PT per sack/INT
DT/DE-Nick Bosa, Jaelen Phillips, Aiden Hutchinson, Jonathan Greenard, Sam Williams, Matt Judon
LB-Foyesade Oluokun, Frankie Luvu, Quincy Williams, Damone Clark, Shaquille Leonard, Matt Milano, Bryan Asamoah, Chad Muma,
DB- Kamren Curl, Reed Blankenship, Kyle Hamilton, Josh Metellus

2018 Champion 🏆
2020 Champion 🏆
2021 Champion 🏆

Taxi squad
Aiden O' Connel QB
Keaton Mitchell RB
Chris Brooks RB
Justyn Ross WR
Bryan Bresee DT
Tuli Tuipuloto DE

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 am

I don't get the lack of respect for where Chubb is an athlete RIGHT NOW.

I get that he had the knee injury. Other RB's have had knee injuries and come back. His knee injury was very bad. But, he's recovered almost to the point where he was before the knee injury. And before knee injury he was in the same discussion as Barkley, Elliot and Gurley. Now, people are forgetting about him.

Spar Q Scores (combines strength, quickness, speed, power and modified by height/weight)
Barkley: 149.8 = 99th%
Chubb: 140.1 = 98th%
Mark Ingram: 99.6 = 16th% (please stop comparing Chubb to Ingram)
Le'Veon Bell: 118.8 = 72nd% (the RB that led the Brown's OC's previous offense)

In college we all know that Nick Chubb looked like a beast taking over for Todd Gurley in Chubb's freshman year. He averaged 7.1 yards per carry as a freshman and caught 18 balls (don't tell me he can't catch). He then was off to a strong start the following year averaging 8.1 yards per carry prior to getting injured. We know what happened after that. He came back from the injury and played the next season on not only the repaired knee but an ankle injury as well. He wasn't the same of course and therefore returned to school for another season instead of entering the draft. He put up a strong season again and remained the starter even with two other NFL 1st round potential RB's on the Georgia roster.

Nick Chubb is 2nd ALL TIME in rushing in the SEC. That's incredible considering the devastating injury happened just a short way into his sophomore year and then had to return to the field the next two years as he worked his way back to form. I know what you're saying though. Chubb was there for 4 years and many of those other RB's were there for 3.

OK, ok...let's do some quick math then. Let's throw out Chubb's most efficient year, his sophomore injury season. Now, 2 out of the three years we are using of production to compare to those other SEC RB's are POST INJURY. He's still among the top performing SEC RB's of all time. He's ahead of Derrick Henry, ahead of Leonard Fournette (and Guice too), ahead of Todd Gurley, he's even ahead of Emmitt Smith.

What would Chubb have been if he hadn't suffered the knee injury? We will never know. What is Chubb now though? The answer is: He's one of the more talented RB's in the NFL. He's young and in a rising offense with an offensive coordinator who has fed the lead RB in his system for 75+ receptions 4 out of the last 5 years.

The sky is the limit for Nick Chubb in the NFL.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:32 am

Here's my hot take. Don't worry I have a crystal ball so this will happen 100%.

This season Chubb won't be a factor until the midpoint. At some point into the season Hyde will get injured, because he always does, then Chubb will take that job and run with it. We see this all the time with talented rookie RBs that are behind incumbents, happened with DJ, happened with Kamara, this year it will happen with Chubb.

In the last half of the season, after the Browns week 11 bye, the team will be slightly out of the playoff race already, and will transition to using their rookies Mayfield and Chubb. Chubb will kill it against Cincy in weeks 11 and 16, but is in tough against top 10 run defenses for weeks 12, 13, 14, & 15. Regardless, I still think he'll perform, and it'll be a coming out party in the last half of the year for Chubb.

In the 2019-2020 season, Nick Chubb will be the obvious 2nd best RB out of this class. Chubb will be ranked in the top 12 for RBs. Hyde will be cut, Duke will not be resigned, and Chubb will be Todd Haleys new Lev Bell. Chubb won't see a workload exactly like Lev Bell with all the passing work, but Haley loves to lean on one guy, so a workload opportunity more like AP, Fournette, and Zeke should be expected - between 250-300 carries, with about 35-50 targets. Browns will sign a similar player to Duke to give Chubb a breather, or take the odd 3rd down work, someone like TJ Yeldon.

Trust me guys, I have a crystal ball I named foresight.

*obvs this was for fun, but tbh I don't really think it's all that far off. Feel like this has a better than not chance of happening.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:44 am

I will compare Chubb to Ingrim all day and its not an insult.

The way a player plays in pads vs running in gym shorts and track shoes is as wide as the grand canyon. I could list many players that were gym rats that sucked but were beasts and the combine and many more that were not so good at the combine yet great in the NFL.

I agree the sky is the limit for Chubb but would also caution those massive supporters to pump the breaks a bit on players like him and Guice as full bore 3 down backs.

Both of their respective teams have excellent 3rd down backs which is a significant trend in the NFL. Johnson with the Browns last season caught 74 passes and his yards per reception were better than all backs with the exception of Kamara of backs with 70 plus receptions.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:14 am

Jason3123 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:17 pm
Defender wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:32 pm
Jason3123 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:04 pm I'm old enough to remember before the combine when people were grossed out by Chubb and Michel was a god.

Also, every NFL player can catch a football. His biggest problem is Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde. Not his talent.

EDIT: Actually his biggest problem is being a Brown and playing for Hue Jackson in general. R.I.P. Chubb.
Are you also old enough to remember when Chubb was helping a fan base get over the loss of Todd Gurley and no one knew the name Sony Michel?
I am. I'm also old enough to realize he hasn't been nearly the same player since his injury. His combine was amazing, and I hope he's an absolute monster. 2013/14 Chubb, absolute phenom. 2016/17 Chubb, good player.
Very true. Had it not been for the injury, I think we would be arguing who is better between Barkley and Chubb.

When you watch the Chubb/Michel tape, (I can’t recall if this was said by a poster here or if I heard it on a podcast) it looks like defenses key in on the run when Chubb is in the backfield. This is not because Chubb can’t catch, but because the team didn’t use him that way (because Michel is so much better).

Anyway, while I disagree, I do understand the reasoning behind your apprehension.
The standard is the standard.