What "Extra Info" Do You Know About the Players on Your NFL Team?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ascherb
Starter
Starter

What "Extra Info" Do You Know About the Players on Your NFL Team?

Postby ascherb » Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 am

I thought this would be a fun and hopefully informative thread regarding our knowledge of the NFL we follow the closest.

I'm a Vikings fan, and therefore, I follow any news or rumors involving the Vikings much closer than every other team. I obviously watch all their games, watch preseason and follow closely all the tidbits during training camp. I even have a decent idea of how the guys interact in the locker room and behind the scenes based on the behind-the-scenes videos the team produces. Little things like that are things an up-close fan of the team might pick up as opposed to someone who only follows the team from afar for fantasy purposes.

What sort of fantasy-related advice could you give on your NFL team based on the fact that you just follow them really closely and perhaps might have some extra intel that the national media isn't necessarily feeding the rest of us?

Maybe as the mini-camps, OTAs and training camps progress, we can keep each other updated on what we're hearing or seeing on the ground in our own backyards.

For me, some Vikings-related thoughts for those of you who don't follow them that closely:

1. I believe McKinnon will be good in SF for Shannahan, but I've seen people expecting 220+ carries in addition to third down work. I'm not saying he can't handle that, but in Minnesota, the past TWO seasons, he's been given the opportunity to take on a big early down role (AP injury in 2016 and Cook injury 2017), and on both occasions, McKinnon has shown that he can't run between the tackles.

You know when you see guys like Beast Mode or Larry Johnson, who always seemed to fall forward for another couple of yards when they get hit? McKinnon is the exact opposite of that. Arm tackles are routinely able to bring this guy down. He's really not particularly electric in space either. He's plenty fast, plenty quick and has good instincts in space, but he just doesn't have that eye-opening burst or sudden McCoy-like jukes that you might expect a RB like McKinnon to possess.

What McKinnon is: a very good instinctual ballcarrier in space who can read blocks very well and is a reliable receiver as well. He's elite in the screen game, has a knack for setting up and following blocks on the outside.

Overall, I love the kid and wish him the best. He was an awesome citizen and teammate (as far as I know). Seemed to be very well liked in the locker room and deserves his shot. I'm rooting for him, but I've watched every game of his NFL career, and I think while he can be a very productive NFL player in SF, I think anyone expecting true RB1 numbers as the every down back, including early down grunt work, will be disappointed. I think his ceiling in SF is basically what CMC did last year, which is still great, don't get me wrong, but I'm just saying I don't think he can carry the entire load in a conventional way.

2. No, I haven't given up on Laquon Treadwell yet, at least not completely.

Obviously, Treadwell hasn't lived up to his hype, especially with him being projected to be a top 10 guy earlier in the process that year.

But, there are some faint reasons to hold onto him if you have space on your roster:

a. He was getting on the field. He played 45% of the Vikings total offensive snaps in 2017, which isn't great, but he was clearly the #3 WR on the team in terms of snaps. With Jarius Wright, and (probably) Michael Floyd leaving, there's an extra 400 snaps up for grabs.

b. Kendall Wright isn't great and is only signed for 1 year. Stefon Diggs is in the final year of his contract, and while I hope we can extend him, the Vikings are going to be up against the cap with Barr, Waynes and Hunter all needing new deals as well.

c. New OC DeFillippo has said he loves using big-bodied slot WRs for their ability to use their size to seal off DBs on quick slants, which he apparently plans to feature quite a bit. This seems tailor-made for Treadwell, who has had trouble with route-running and creating separation. Give him an easy route to run and just let him make a play.

d. Kirk Cousins > Case Keenum

e. Treadwell's third year in the league. Not saying this age-old trend is still applicable in the year 2018, but I remember a time when someone like Treadwell would be on everyone's "sleeper" list this year based SOLELY on the fact that he is entering his magical third year. His rookie year, he couldn't even find the field because he was so lost, and he made a dramatic jump in 2017 on that front, he just doesn't have the actual production to match. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's not out of the question that he could make another nice leap this year.

I'm not saying, "GO GET TREADWELL NOW!" I'm just saying, if I have him on my roster, and I don't desperately need his spot right now, I think Treadwell still has some upside if he can use this offseason to take another leap in development.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What "Extra Info" Do You Know About the Players on Your NFL Team?

Postby Goddard » Fri May 04, 2018 11:45 am

Tom Brady wears Uggs. Does that still count if the Patriots aren't my team?

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Fri May 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Juju bought jeans from a TMZ camera man so he could get into a fancy restaurant.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri May 04, 2018 12:23 pm

ascherb wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 am 2. No, I haven't given up on Laquon Treadwell yet, at least not completely.

Obviously, Treadwell hasn't lived up to his hype, especially with him being projected to be a top 10 guy earlier in the process that year.

But, there are some faint reasons to hold onto him if you have space on your roster:
Solid thread. Sole reason I picked up Thielen off waivers early last year is I'm a Viking fan as well and watching him play well pre-season and into the first two weeks, the only piece missing was target share. Did make a mistake though and sold him for what ended up the 1.8 around week 6 this year. Aw well.

I agree with you on McKinnon. He'll be a good back, but he had opportunities last two years to be a lead back and Vikings discovered he's a fantastic 1b guy. He's not a designated 3rd down pass catcher (although he's best at that) and sling out guy, but he can't handle 10-15 carries up the gut nor get solid ypc with the attempts. He needs some space to work his magic

I disagree vehemently with your Treadwell evaluation. What I've seen from him the last two years is a very slow receiver who doesn't even have crisp routes to give a hope of separation. Add to this, is a guy with a drop problem. Quarterbacks have never targeted him because A) He's never open B) only a 50/50 chance he catches it even if hit in the gloves the few times he is open. Kirk is going to come to MN and spread the ball around Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Rudolph, and either new Wright or one of the undrafted signings will get the scraps. Treadwell will have another 20 catches for 200 yards season. I'll give him his first career TD to show improvement
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Okay--I'll play. I'm a Bears have been longer than some of you have been alive.

It's been a long time since I have been this optimistic about my Bears. Will they storm through the season and go undefeated and win the Superbowl? I dream that--but NO--I am much more realistic than that. But I am willing to say that I expect 8-8 at the very least. I have looked at their schedule--and yeah I see that as a real possibility.

This is the first time that I have seen a productive free agency paired with a strong draft in a long long time. It's hard not to get excited.

I was one of those that groaned out loud when the Bears front office made the moves they did last year to get Trubisky. But--maybe --I was premature. What they did this off-season was incredible and put Trubisky in a situation where he should produce immediately and effectively--unless of course he is truly trash. Only time will tell. From what I can hear he is truly liked and respected in the locker room--and has already become a leader. I am one of the few remaining Cutler apologists out there--and even he struggled with locker room leadership. Something that doesn't apply to Trubisky. If you are in a 2 QB league you could much much worse than Trubisky--

The coming of Nagy to Chicago marks a new era in Chicago. I was impressed with his offensive philosophy in KC. And truthfully I think this bodes well for 2 players. Trey Burton and Tarik Cohen. If you are in a PPR league--you need to be snatching up Cohen as fast as you can. This is going to be one of those players that is going to be electric and polarizing. In Nagy's system if Cohen plays a full season-- I expect him to do no worse than RB12 in a PPR format. Other than when Martz was coaching (sorry Greg Olsen) the TE position has always been important and I think Burton is going to end up inside of TE8 status.

The Bears and Fangio have quietly been putting together one of the best defenses in the NFL. It wouldn't shock me if the Bears came out of the NFC North as the best defense this year. If you are in a league that still plays D/ST -- you could do worse--.

Will Anthony Miller become the Offensive Rookie of the Year? No not likely--. But I will go out on a limb and say he has the best year of all rookie WRs. In a dynasty league (and that's what we are truly talking about here-isn't it) I would feel comfortable targeting Miller over Moore and Washington.

Like I said I am excited this year--and I will make one more prediction--the Bears WILL NOT finish in the basement of the NFC North this year--

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 pm

ascherb wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 am "GO GET TREADWELL NOW!"
:shock:

Smoking Guns
Starter
Starter

Postby Smoking Guns » Fri May 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Goddard wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:45 am Tom Brady wears Uggs. Does that still count if the Patriots aren't my team?
So that's his secret lol :lol:

Novacane
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Novacane » Fri May 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Dolphins fan here.

Ryan Tannehill is not good.

Also, this:
Attachments
07E567D1-A482-4F50-811E-FE1847099961.jpeg
07E567D1-A482-4F50-811E-FE1847099961.jpeg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Team 1

12 Team .2 PPR (1 PPR after 5 rec), salary cap.

1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Eli, Wentz, Romo
RB: DJ, Freeman, Hyde, Coleman, Mathews
WR: OBJ, ARob, Watkins, Moncrief, White, Gordon, Hogan, Woods
TE: Gronk, Ebron

2017 Picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 0-3RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Wilson,
RB: Drake, Marshall
WR: OBJ, Alshon, TY Hilton, Jordy Nelson, Benjamin, Parker, Doctson, John Brown, Shepard
TE: Eifert, Ebron,

2017 Picks: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06, 3.01, 3.10

Team 3 (3rd Year Orphan)

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Brees, Kaep
RB: DJ, Forte, Dion Lewis, White, Drake, Ellington
WR: OBJ, Matthews, John Brown, Fuller, Parker, White, Lockett, Treadwell, Hogan, Sharpe
TE: Brate, Ladarius, Kendricks

2017 Picks: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Raymond1974
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raymond1974 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:47 am

ascherb wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 am I thought this would be a fun and hopefully informative thread regarding our knowledge of the NFL we follow the closest.

I'm a Vikings fan, and therefore, I follow any news or rumors involving the Vikings much closer than every other team. I obviously watch all their games, watch preseason and follow closely all the tidbits during training camp. I even have a decent idea of how the guys interact in the locker room and behind the scenes based on the behind-the-scenes videos the team produces. Little things like that are things an up-close fan of the team might pick up as opposed to someone who only follows the team from afar for fantasy purposes.

What sort of fantasy-related advice could you give on your NFL team based on the fact that you just follow them really closely and perhaps might have some extra intel that the national media isn't necessarily feeding the rest of us?

Maybe as the mini-camps, OTAs and training camps progress, we can keep each other updated on what we're hearing or seeing on the ground in our own backyards.

For me, some Vikings-related thoughts for those of you who don't follow them that closely:

1. I believe McKinnon will be good in SF for Shannahan, but I've seen people expecting 220+ carries in addition to third down work. I'm not saying he can't handle that, but in Minnesota, the past TWO seasons, he's been given the opportunity to take on a big early down role (AP injury in 2016 and Cook injury 2017), and on both occasions, McKinnon has shown that he can't run between the tackles.

You know when you see guys like Beast Mode or Larry Johnson, who always seemed to fall forward for another couple of yards when they get hit? McKinnon is the exact opposite of that. Arm tackles are routinely able to bring this guy down. He's really not particularly electric in space either. He's plenty fast, plenty quick and has good instincts in space, but he just doesn't have that eye-opening burst or sudden McCoy-like jukes that you might expect a RB like McKinnon to possess.

What McKinnon is: a very good instinctual ballcarrier in space who can read blocks very well and is a reliable receiver as well. He's elite in the screen game, has a knack for setting up and following blocks on the outside.

Overall, I love the kid and wish him the best. He was an awesome citizen and teammate (as far as I know). Seemed to be very well liked in the locker room and deserves his shot. I'm rooting for him, but I've watched every game of his NFL career, and I think while he can be a very productive NFL player in SF, I think anyone expecting true RB1 numbers as the every down back, including early down grunt work, will be disappointed. I think his ceiling in SF is basically what CMC did last year, which is still great, don't get me wrong, but I'm just saying I don't think he can carry the entire load in a conventional way.

a. He was getting on the field. He played 45% of the Vikings total offensive snaps in 2017, which isn't great, but he was clearly the #3 WR on the team in terms of snaps. With Jarius Wright, and (probably) Michael Floyd leaving, there's an extra 400 snaps up for grabs.

b. Kendall Wright isn't great and is only signed for 1 year. Stefon Diggs is in the final year of his contract, and while I hope we can extend him, the Vikings are going to be up against the cap with Barr, Waynes and Hunter all needing new deals as well.

c. New OC DeFillippo has said he loves using big-bodied slot WRs for their ability to use their size to seal off DBs on quick slants, which he apparently plans to feature quite a bit. This seems tailor-made for Treadwell, who has had trouble with route-running and creating separation. Give him an easy route to run and just let him make a play.

e. Treadwell's third year in the league. Not saying this age-old trend is still applicable in the year 2018, but I remember a time when someone like Treadwell would be on everyone's "sleeper" list this year based SOLELY on the fact that he is entering his magical third year. His rookie year, he couldn't even find the field because he was so lost, and he made a dramatic jump in 2017 on that front, he just doesn't have the actual production to match. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's not out of the question that he could make another nice leap this year.

I'm not saying, "GO GET TREADWELL NOW!" I'm just saying, if I have him on my roster, and I don't desperately need his spot right now, I think Treadwell still has some upside if he can use this offseason to take another leap in development.
what are your thoughts on UDFA JT Barrett and linebacker Ben gedeon?

Raymond1974
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raymond1974 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:50 am

ascherb wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 am I thought this would be a fun and hopefully informative thread regarding our knowledge of the NFL we follow the closest.

what are your thoughts on UDFA JT Barrett and linebacker Ben gedeion?

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Sat May 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Treadwell.jpg
Treadwell.jpg (86.87 KiB) Viewed 303 times
Hey look I finally figured out how to add screenshots! lol.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Jason wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:33 pm Treadwell.jpg

Hey look I finally figured out how to add screenshots! lol.
These posters were obviously uninformed. Treadwell was there...... sitting on bench watching Cousins throw balls to Diggs and Thielen. :wink:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick