How do you build depth?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

How do you build depth?

Postby darkadun » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:16 pm

So, I’m in a weird spot right now. Going into the first Rookie draft for this league and I look at my team (in sig) and love the high end players on it. And they are mostly young, with Engram ready to take over for Gronk if he retires soon.

I almost won the Ship with this team, so it’s acontender. However, I feel it’s too top heavy. I need a RB2 and better depth all around.

I’m contemplating trying to trade Engram if it can net me some better depth or net me a top pick to get one of the top RBs.

My question to you is how do you build good depth?
QB: Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,
TE: Evan Ingram, Drew Sample, Cole Kmet

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: How do you build depth?

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:18 pm

I'd be moving Gronk, honestly. Dude is talking retirement, and I don't see him lasting much longer. He's had so many major injuries, and he's won the greatest prize, and made a lot of money. I have a feeling it's going to be a Calvin Johnson situation all over again. You'll be left holding the stick of dynamite when it goes off. If you don't want to lose his potential production, expect to go down with the ship. The guy is the Dynasty TE 2 on the ranking right now, yet he's not sure he even wants to play another down. Not sure how that works, but I'd be pointing to that ranking in every offer I'm making to other owners, and I'd be offering him around like a joint at Bob Marley concert. Move him for a TE that is productive (if you think Engram's production regresses with all the WR's returning), and some other nice pieces. Especially a RB.

What are your starting requirements? You need another RB for sure. What picks do you have this year?
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Smoking Guns
Starter
Starter

Postby Smoking Guns » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:23 pm

I agree try and move Gronk for a couple of RB2 or a RB2 and picks if you can get it. I have always read draft BPA and trade for need.

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Smoking Guns wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:23 pm I agree try and move Gronk for a couple of RB2 or a RB2 and picks if you can get it. I have always read draft BPA and trade for need.
I agree with this but I tried moving him last year before the retirement talk and didn’t get anything worthwhile. I even offered Gronk straight up for Dalvin Cook or Corey Davis and both owners said no. If anything his value has declined since then but I can try.

I do agree on trading for need, I want to be in a position to draft BPA and not reach for a RB just because I need one
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:39 pm

There are always free agent RBs that come out of nowhere to put up numbers, don't overpay for RB depth.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:29 pm

If you have to start 2 RBs, and Duke isn't a flex, definite need there.

Churning off the waiver is a great way to prospect for depth, but doesn't apply right now. At this point, I identify players I'm looking to sell either because he experienced a value jump I don't agree with, or I want to get out before ageists want nothing to do with him.

With your roster, Funchess could fit in the first category (depending on what you think) and Gronk could easily in the 2nd. If you're trying to sell him, offering a quality for quantity swap could work- the other teams feels they're consolidating and upgrading, you address your depth issues and/or take upside gambles.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:42 am

For depth, I'd rely on the draft and free agency.

If you're diligent and stick to the DLF forum for tips, you can build depth via free agency alone. I wouldn't divest studs to fill holes or add to depth.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:26 am

Adding to what others have said, I've found for 'top-heavy' teams that trading down is a very good way to do it. I happen to prefer a studs and duds type team. When I get a Hopkins or a top tier player, even in terrible situations, I almost never trade them. I love to trade down from 1.09-1.12 and pick up a second along the way. I've done a ton of trades where I get a 2.05 and a 2.10 for 1.11 or something. I don't think rookie drafts are efficient at identifying midrange talent, so that's an inefficiency I try to take advantage of. I feel like Belicheck does this in the real NFL draft; realizes that people fall in love with guys and that doesn't make the league more efficient at identifying the talent so trades down. It obviously doesn't work in short roster leagues as well.

I was going to post some typical trades like this but MFL is down at the moment, so going off of memory.

Traded down from 1.06 to 1.07 or 1.08; ended up he got Dalvin Cook and I got Treadwell and OJ Howard. Could be I lost this one.

I traded down from 1.11 to 2.04 and got Jordan Howard and future second, he picked his guy in the late first and Jordan Howard turned out better than his late first pick by a lot.

I traded on the clock the pick that was Mack (he liked Mack) for K. Dixon and something else. I figured they were about even as players but Dixon had fallen out of favor. I mention the failure to show you that it obviously doesn't always work - Dixon's basically an end of roster stash at this point - but I still have that future second. And Mack could be anything, but looks most like a COP back to me.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:09 am

Fezzik wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:26 am Adding to what others have said, I've found for 'top-heavy' teams that trading down is a very good way to do it. I happen to prefer a studs and duds type team. When I get a Hopkins or a top tier player, even in terrible situations, I almost never trade them. I love to trade down from 1.09-1.12 and pick up a second along the way. I've done a ton of trades where I get a 2.05 and a 2.10 for 1.11 or something. I don't think rookie drafts are efficient at identifying midrange talent, so that's an inefficiency I try to take advantage of. I feel like Belicheck does this in the real NFL draft; realizes that people fall in love with guys and that doesn't make the league more efficient at identifying the talent so trades down. It obviously doesn't work in short roster leagues as well.

I was going to post some typical trades like this but MFL is down at the moment, so going off of memory.

Traded down from 1.06 to 1.07 or 1.08; ended up he got Dalvin Cook and I got Treadwell and OJ Howard. Could be I lost this one.

I traded down from 1.11 to 2.04 and got Jordan Howard and future second, he picked his guy in the late first and Jordan Howard turned out better than his late first pick by a lot.

I traded on the clock the pick that was Mack (he liked Mack) for K. Dixon and something else. I figured they were about even as players but Dixon had fallen out of favor. I mention the failure to show you that it obviously doesn't always work - Dixon's basically an end of roster stash at this point - but I still have that future second. And Mack could be anything, but looks most like a COP back to me.

I like that, that's very good advice, so obvious too, Im going to start looking for these types of deals.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:51 am

every individual approaches it differently....try to find something that works for you and stick with it. obviously there is some league dependency here, but ive found that a lot of the owners I play with in multiple leagues tend to carry over their strategy from league to league. it works for them. they stick with it.

some owners have the magic when it comes to working trades all the time, others sit back and build through drafts and small trades....I don't think there is a "right way". I do think most of us will tell you to keep studs and add them whenever possible, figure out the holes later.

as to your team, your in year 2...keep putting together your squad. you are never too top heavy. that is impossible my friend :) I would think you need some rb help, but you shouldn't worry about rb until right before the season, and it could be argued that you don't have to worry about rb until week 4. as to the gronk/engram situation...I would start both if need be, I'm not sure gronk brings the return youd like. I certainly would not sell for something that you don't like in your situation. he may retire, but don't hand out a free 15 when he plays. id rather be stuck picking up the pieces after a gronk retirement, than trying to hold on to fliers. (especially so with your team)

the argument could be made that you could go after a stud wr with gronk and dt/funch...just throwing that out there.

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:02 am

Great advice! Thank you.
sloth8u wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:51 am every individual approaches it differently....try to find something that works for you and stick with it. obviously there is some league dependency here, but ive found that a lot of the owners I play with in multiple leagues tend to carry over their strategy from league to league. it works for them. they stick with it.

some owners have the magic when it comes to working trades all the time, others sit back and build through drafts and small trades....I don't think there is a "right way". I do think most of us will tell you to keep studs and add them whenever possible, figure out the holes later.

as to your team, your in year 2...keep putting together your squad. you are never too top heavy. that is impossible my friend :) I would think you need some rb help, but you shouldn't worry about rb until right before the season, and it could be argued that you don't have to worry about rb until week 4. as to the gronk/engram situation...I would start both if need be, I'm not sure gronk brings the return youd like. I certainly would not sell for something that you don't like in your situation. he may retire, but don't hand out a free 15 when he plays. id rather be stuck picking up the pieces after a gronk retirement, than trying to hold on to fliers. (especially so with your team)

the argument could be made that you could go after a stud wr with gronk and dt/funch...just throwing that out there.
Great points in here. I agree about Gronk. I’d rather ride off into retirement with him than not get fair value.

I’d definitely trade DT and/or Funchess but the trick is we start 3 WR and 2 Flex, so it’s pretty deep starting requirements. Then I’m left starting Moncrief or Golladay wh is still probably a year away at least.

Any trade I think of for a RB2 leaves a gaping hole somewhere else. Hopefully I can hit on my draft picks and get RB2 but we’ll see.

Syd12356
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Syd12356 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 am

darkadun wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:02 am Great advice! Thank you.
sloth8u wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:51 am every individual approaches it differently....try to find something that works for you and stick with it. obviously there is some league dependency here, but ive found that a lot of the owners I play with in multiple leagues tend to carry over their strategy from league to league. it works for them. they stick with it.

Great points in here. I agree about Gronk. I’d rather ride off into retirement with him than not get fair value.

I’d definitely trade DT and/or Funchess but the trick is we start 3 WR and 2 Flex, so it’s pretty deep starting requirements. Then I’m left starting Moncrief or Golladay wh is still probably a year away at least.

Any trade I think of for a RB2 leaves a gaping hole somewhere else. Hopefully I can hit on my draft picks and get RB2 but we’ll see.
Your team is actually very similar in construction to team 1 in my sig. I plan on holding gronk until the day he retires, as he's an instant advantage, I'd suggest you do the same since you have Engram. As far as RBs go, I like to target the pass catching types in trades and draft the studs. I got flack for it but I traded the 2.12 for Gio this offseason because to me, if you have a guy like Bell you just need someone to get you a couple points a week out of your other spot. Pass catching backs are easy to acquire, relatively cheap, and typically last longer.

Sorry, that paragraph is terribly choppy but trying to put my philosophy out is hard. I believe, like many, the most important part your team to maintain is the receiver depth. That's why with my roster I was comfortable offloading guys like Tevin Coleman and Lamar Miller this offseason. No doubt you need a stud RB to do it the way I have, but you have that too. So get some cheap pass catchers and even cheap grinders like Lynch or Blount, and try to hit a HR on a RB in the draft
Team 1: 12 Team PPR 30 Man Rosters 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE

QB- Newton, Dalton, Keenum, L. Jackson
RB- Da. Johnson, Bell, S. Michel, Du. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Wilkins, L. Blount, C. Grant, B. Scott
WR- D.Hopkins, Hill, Thielen, E. Sanders, Fitzgerald, D. Baldwin, M. Mitchell, Humphries, R. Anderson, T. Taylor, R. Mathews, Meredith
TE- Gronk, K.Rudolph, Gathers, Seals-Jones
2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3x4ths

Team 2: 14 Team PPR 25 Man Rosters (30 in offseason) (4 TS) 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 2-3 WR, 1-2 TE, Team Defense, Kicker

QB- M. Ryan, Flacco
RB- Guice, Michel, Cohen, Collins, G. Bernard, L. Blount, C. Grant
WR- Landry, Diggs, Thielen, M. Bryant, Crowder, Edelman, K. Cole, Mitchell, D. Robinson, C. Rogers, Butler, Zylstra, D. Cantrell, T. Quinn
TE- Engram, Cook, Gathers, Akins
DEF-
TS- L. Jackson, A. Miller, Chark, J. Samuels
2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Syd12356
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Syd12356 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:17 am

that was such a ramble
Team 1: 12 Team PPR 30 Man Rosters 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE

QB- Newton, Dalton, Keenum, L. Jackson
RB- Da. Johnson, Bell, S. Michel, Du. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Wilkins, L. Blount, C. Grant, B. Scott
WR- D.Hopkins, Hill, Thielen, E. Sanders, Fitzgerald, D. Baldwin, M. Mitchell, Humphries, R. Anderson, T. Taylor, R. Mathews, Meredith
TE- Gronk, K.Rudolph, Gathers, Seals-Jones
2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3x4ths

Team 2: 14 Team PPR 25 Man Rosters (30 in offseason) (4 TS) 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 2-3 WR, 1-2 TE, Team Defense, Kicker

QB- M. Ryan, Flacco
RB- Guice, Michel, Cohen, Collins, G. Bernard, L. Blount, C. Grant
WR- Landry, Diggs, Thielen, M. Bryant, Crowder, Edelman, K. Cole, Mitchell, D. Robinson, C. Rogers, Butler, Zylstra, D. Cantrell, T. Quinn
TE- Engram, Cook, Gathers, Akins
DEF-
TS- L. Jackson, A. Miller, Chark, J. Samuels
2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:25 am

I play the WW/lots of duds game. Stay on top of news during the season, keep track of snap counts, and pick up the guys before there's a rush to get them. If you don't believe in the guy once they start producing, flip them for a better player or pick. If you do, keep them for depth. Once you do that a few times, you find your self with maybe an extra 1st.... or a few 2nds and 3rds. Package them up for a better pick/player. I tend to always have a bunch of duds on my roster outside of my starters so that I can do this over and over when guys get hot.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:29 am

I would play the numbers game from now until September. Load up on RBs that haven’t hit yet and hope that you find the 2018 version of Kenyan Drake.