Trade Etiquette Questions Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Re: Question about trading etiquette

Postby Easy Breesy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:12 pm

Bad News Barrett wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:06 pm I always ignore lowball offers, will never counter because I assume the other guy/girls value is way off of mine

If it’s at least close and I’m interested, I’ll counter

Your second offer would have been declined/no countered

First offer I would have countered Samuel for something I was interested in. In fact, I just threw him out to a few owners because I was about to drop him, got a free late round pick instead of having to outright drop
Allright this is helpful. Witj the 2nd trade it is a 16 team 2qb te premium and the other owners top 2 TEs are Eifert and Gerald Everett. I thougjt I would offer those 3 pieces due to upside. How far off of Cooks do you think it is?
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert
RB- Antonio Gibson Ty Johnson, David Johnson Lat Murray
WR- Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, DJ Moore, Cordarelle Patterson,
TE- Hockeson, , Jonnu Smith, Firkser, Logan Thomas

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:20 pm

Allright this is helpful. Witj the 2nd trade it is a 16 team 2qb te premium and the other owners top 2 TEs are Eifert and Gerald Everett. I thougjt I would offer those 3 pieces due to upside. How far off of Cooks do you think it is?
Well, I have a theory playing and stick by it. If you are asking for a stud, you need to send a stud. I consider anyone that is an every week start a stud, and none of Smith, ASJ, or Doctson are no brainer starts. It’s not about quantity, it’s about quality. Smith is a throw in. He may never be an every down LB. He’s ok, but he’s not one of the stud LBs that can rack up points. I’m leery on guys who have a decent season after multiple bad seasons (ASJ) and Doctson hasn’t been impressive with his limited on field time.

So that’s my analysis on the offer
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Bad News Barrett wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:20 pm
Well, I have a theory playing and stick by it. If you are asking for a stud, you need to send a stud. I consider anyone that is an every week start a stud, and none of Smith, ASJ, or Doctson are no brainer starts. It’s not about quantity, it’s about quality. Smith is a throw in. He may never be an every down LB. He’s ok, but he’s not one of the stud LBs that can rack up points. I’m leery on guys who have a decent season after multiple bad seasons (ASJ) and Doctson hasn’t been impressive with his limited on field time.

So that’s my analysis on the offer
Those are all definetly accurate. My team is in sig 1. The other owner was interested in Jaylon Smith for sure as he wanted him for Samuel. In your opinion who would be a fair return for Cooks? As you can see this team is very rough, it is an orphan that I took over.
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:39 pm

If you only start one LB, then I would trade him Jaylon Smith for Samuel straight up. Samuel has more upside than Smith in that scenario easily.

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:44 pm

mgscott wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:39 pm If you only start one LB, then I would trade him Jaylon Smith for Samuel straight up. Samuel has more upside than Smith in that scenario easily.
We start 3 LBs. As of right now I start Deion Jones. Benadrick Mckinley. My 3rd LB is a toss up between Jaylon Smith, vontaze burfict, ramon humber, and craig robertson
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:09 am

Some great advice on here, I wish some of the people in my leagues would follow it.

Expanding on starting with strong offers, your offer should always be able to speak for itself. If you put yourself in a position of having to explain an offer, it won't have legs.
The objective of a trade is not to get a perfect deal for yourself, but rather a deal where both sides are happy. If you are sending out deals that are perfect for you, you're not a trade partner, you're a bully.

Last, keep in mind the long game. You want trade lines open with this person. Sending out low offers that tells him you think he's stupid enough to do those offers is a good way to destroy trading relationships.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:25 pm

An easy rule of thumb to follow is to reverse your offer. Try to avoid sending offers that you yourself would reject out of hand.

Example: If you are an owner that would likely reject (without countering) a 1.01 for the 1.12 and 2019 2nd offer, then do not go offering the 1.12 & a 2019 2nd for the 1.01.

So if you are trying to acquire Cooks, then pretend he is on your roster, and think of what is the least you'd consider moving him for, and then make an offer better than that. ;)

In the end though, not much you can do to control how someone else reacts - some offers will be accepted by some, while the same offer would be rejected without comment by another, and get you a nasty e-mail by a 3rd owner. So as long as you dont intentionally try to prod a bear with a stick, you shouldnt worry too much about someone tearing you a new a-hole.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm not so sure the cold offer is the best way to start a negotiations. I usually message or private chat another owner when I'm considering sending an offer to get an idea of ball park figure for values, find out which of my players I'm willing to part with they prefer, etc.... I think that gets the negotiations going more smoothly.
When I see a random offer come in from someone, I right away wonder what they are trying to get away with. But if they also message me or ask me about the offer, I'll listen more intently.

-oo-

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:48 pm

meineymoe wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:37 pm When I see a random offer come in from someone, I right away wonder what they are trying to get away with.
I generally start with a "cold" offer and only do otherwise if I can't even come up with a starting point. I prefer to negotiate with minimal banter because too often it can turn into someone trying to sell something. I prefer to think that both of us are intelligent enough to have our own valuations. We also all have access to loads of information. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to check on any player updates that initiated the offer.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:20 pm

skip wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:48 pm
meineymoe wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:37 pm When I see a random offer come in from someone, I right away wonder what they are trying to get away with.
I generally start with a "cold" offer and only do otherwise if I can't even come up with a starting point. I prefer to negotiate with minimal banter because too often it can turn into someone trying to sell something. I prefer to think that both of us are intelligent enough to have our own valuations. We also all have access to loads of information. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to check on any player updates that initiated the offer.
I start cold as well. I have used an email when the other team has trade bait with wide variety of draft picks and I asked what they were looking for and if there were some players in that value on my team. I usually use cold, but honestly I am not sure if I change up to more emails I would get better feedback. I sometimes send offers without a response.

In response to the OP the first trade is in the same realm and deserved a counter. The second trade you were trying to trade scraps for a stud. I always comment on the trades to help them know where I stand, but I don't know if I even counter that trade seeing as how the values seem so far off on where I would have Cook compared to your package.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Dobbins, Akers
WR: T. Hill, Kupp, KA, JSN, T. Boyd, Mingo, Thomas, Toney
TE: Kelce, Andrews, Likely, Dulcic

2024: 1.01
2025: 1, 2, 2, 2

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, JT, Kamara, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, R. Rice
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2025: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Burrow, Cousins, Watson, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08
2025: 1, 2, 3

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:52 pm

smbkrypt24 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:20 pm
skip wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:48 pm
I start cold as well. I have used an email when the other team has trade bait with wide variety of draft picks and I asked what they were looking for and if there were some players in that value on my team. I usually use cold, but honestly I am not sure if I change up to more emails I would get better feedback. I sometimes send offers without a response.

In response to the OP the first trade is in the same realm and deserved a counter. The second trade you were trying to trade scraps for a stud. I always comment on the trades to help them know where I stand, but I don't know if I even counter that trade seeing as how the values seem so far off on where I would have Cook compared to your package.
Yeah the 2nd one I already knew was a reach. The first one I thought would get accepted though. For Cooks i don't know what i can offer. I know he likes Smith(dallas lb) so that would be a part of it. Then my top players are Keenan Allen, manny Sanders, Tret Burton, ASJ, Njoku, Chris Carson and Jamaal Williams. Along with 1.06 2.06 3.06 etc... what kind of package do you think I could build for cooks?
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:01 pm

He may have just wanted Smith for Samuel and may not actually value him that highly. I don't play IDP and I saw someone say that he isn't worth a whole lot, but I'll assume your trade partner likes him.
Smith and I would include one of Burton/Njoku since it is TE Premium and they have much more value than ASJ. If he has holes at RB I would put J Williams with it or if not maybe just 2.06. This still seems on the low end but I think improving 2 of the 3 players from the initial offer shows you are willing to give more for Cooks.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Dobbins, Akers
WR: T. Hill, Kupp, KA, JSN, T. Boyd, Mingo, Thomas, Toney
TE: Kelce, Andrews, Likely, Dulcic

2025: 1, 2, 2, 2

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, JT, Kamara, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, R. Rice
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2025: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Burrow, Cousins, Watson, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08
2025: 1, 2, 3

collbey
All Pro
All Pro

Postby collbey » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:09 pm

Understand you wanting to initiate trade talks but sending out low offers with the thought that will add more is a tough approach as many owners will think that if you feel that is players worth, there is no point discussing a trade. Instead of sending an offer, can inquire if they may be interested in moving a player and what it would take.

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:11 pm

smbkrypt24 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:01 pm He may have just wanted Smith for Samuel and may not actually value him that highly. I don't play IDP and I saw someone say that he isn't worth a whole lot, but I'll assume your trade partner likes him.
Smith and I would include one of Burton/Njoku since it is TE Premium and they have much more value than ASJ. If he has holes at RB I would put J Williams with it or if not maybe just 2.06. This still seems on the low end but I think improving 2 of the 3 players from the initial offer shows you are willing to give more for Cooks.
I was goinf to do Burton Doctson Smith and the 3.06 but I took all of your advice and emailed him asking what he values both Samuel and cooks at and what he would want baxk from my team for each of them individually
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert

Wolfepack28
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wolfepack28 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:44 pm

[/quote]
Those are all definetly accurate. My team is in sig 1. The other owner was interested in Jaylon Smith for sure as he wanted him for Samuel. In your opinion who would be a fair return for Cooks? As you can see this team is very rough, it is an orphan that I took over.
[/quote]

While you didn’t ask for this advice, I don’t think you should be buying Cooks right now. A deal like that, you’ll have to give up a good amount and you just don’t have much surplus of good quality players. I would target low buys like Sanu, maybe Marvin Jones. Build some depth around your WR corp. Those guys can be had for 2nd/3rd round picks. I’ve been selling off my mid 2nd and 3rd round picks for players I know are startable most weeks if the matchup is right. Once you build that pipeline of decent talent across your roster, then start buying guys like Cooks, Hilton, Landry, etc.

That said, if I was a Cooks owner I’d need at least a 1.06+starter. Nothing is guaranteed especially outside the top 5 (see: mike williams/john ross). I’m not trading Cooks for some average depth guys who may or may not be startable. I just don’t see enough pieces on your team to get a deal done. Perhaps 1.06+ASJ+Smith would get you a counter offer