Do You Care That John Brown Is Really Good?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

John Brown - do we believe him? Can he actually be in for a healthy 2018?

Postby jman3134 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:58 pm

According to Brown, the Cardinals used the sickle cell trait as an excuse until they found the actual culprit for what was ailing him, a cyst on his spine. Any positive fantasy ramifications from this news? Is it possible that he can be healthy for the full 2018? I know many of his injuries were leg related and due to his slight build, but if this is accurate, the sickle cell trait talk appears to have been overblown.

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2018/03 ... ssion=true
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: John Brown - do we believe him? Can he actually be in for a healthy 2018?

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:07 pm

If you're looking to sell, I don't think this article will make a lot of difference in people's perception of him.

Until we actually see him performing and staying on the field I don't imagine you're going to net much for him. But hopefully he's accurate and will be relatively healthy moving forward.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

DynastyDeepDive
Starter
Starter

Postby DynastyDeepDive » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 pm

not buying. maybe after a full healthy year. Until then. No thanks
In too many leagues to list players. Check out my Dynasty Deep Dive!

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Haha not selling at this point, as I don't believe I will get any value in return from the high octane Flacco offense. Also, I like the guy.

FWIW, no one in my league is on this site. I just found this entire scenario a bit fishy. I wanted to see if people believe him here.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Didn't we already know about the cyst on his spine? I thought this came out last year and it was taken care of, but I could be wrong.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm

I believe him. He can stay healthy for an entire season as he did in 2015. Unless sickle cell is something that develops over time, I would assume that he had the trait in 2015. 2016 he had the cyst and that's when they discovered the sickle cell trait. He pulled a hammy and those take a long time to heal (with or without sickle cell), and for a guy that relies on speed, it would make sense why he was ineffective last year. So really, you have one year he was healthy, one year he had a cyst, and another year where he had a concussion and a pulled hamstring. The cyst is a freak health thing. I wouldn't hold that against him. Concussions and pulled hamstrings are more concerning considering his small frame and style of play, but I wouldn't say he has a history of injuries. I've been holding since I drafted him, and I dont plan on selling, I really think he can be a WR1 as he's more than just a speed guy.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm

One of the issues I have with him other than injuries is that he was an "old" rookie to begin with and is already 27 years old. I think most people don't realize this about him. And even though that might not be that old, it's difficult for someone that age to finally breakout and become a WR1, and then maintain that kind of production for a long time. Add on the injuries, and he's an old 27 and not sure how much longer his body will hold up.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:44 pm

My main concern is that he's had limited success in a system that highlights the deep ball, which is his strength. He's now in Baltimore, which has been awful with the deep ball for years. Wallace was able to adapt his game and become a more rounded, but Wallace at his peak was also well beyond anything Brown has done. The team is also still looking at guys like Wallace and Meredith, either of which would likely push him to third on the chart and even if they don't sign either, it's not a great show of confidence that they're even looking.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm

at least he is healthier than ryan grant wink wink right ozzie ?
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Carson Palmer made him look good, but so did Jaron Brown and JJ Nelson at times. But I was a believer and I gave up on him because of the sickle cell news. I will be looking to buy back in if the price is right.

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:38 pm

No.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:11 pm

I hope so. He needs to stretch the field so Crabtree can operate

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:49 am

He's better than most give him credit for nowadays. I hung on to Gronk because people wrote him off and will hang on to this studly bastard because people don't look at talent on the field just "Breakout age" and "what have you done for me lately".
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:52 am

Goddard wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm One of the issues I have with him other than injuries is that he was an "old" rookie to begin with and is already 27 years old. I think most people don't realize this about him. And even though that might not be that old, it's difficult for someone that age to finally breakout and become a WR1, and then maintain that kind of production for a long time. Add on the injuries, and he's an old 27 and not sure how much longer his body will hold up.
That ideal feeds me for years. Thank you.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:09 am

CK,

I don't know how you can possibly compare Gronk to John Brown. There's no comparison in terms of production. They don't play the same position and that's relevant in a TE mandatory league, and one of the players has produced at the pinnacle of his position while the other has not.

I haven't seen a large contingent of fantasy players dismissing Gronk lately, although some owners are worried that he'll bolt for the WWE or other entertainment opportunities. Still, this is apples and oranges. John Brown has played well in spurts, as many NFL players have. If you believe this is the moment that John Brown emerges from his injury lined cocoon to become an amazing WR1 and the apple of Joe Flacco's eye then good luck to you.

I don't see that as remotely likely, and think you're wasting a roster spot. Time will tell.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku