The Dalvin Cook Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Dalvin Cook value going forward through 2017 and 2018 offseason

Postby sloth8u » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:48 am

JFever wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:27 am "If I was looking to buy him, I wouldn't be willing to pay last week's price for him; because (a) he would be a roster clogger for at least the remaining of this season and I have already lost enough of my own players to IR this season; and (b) we don't know if he will be fine next season like Jordy Nelson or Keenan Allen were; or if he will be like Jamaal Charles or Sam Bradford and miss most of the next season. With that said, Cook is a valuable asset and I wouldn't expect someone to just give him away.

You seemed concerned about people wanting to "buy low". Personally, I don't consider this a buy low strategy, I see it as "fair value" for the current time, his condition and circumstance, and there is some risk involved. Simply put, his value is not what it was at this time last week. If I needed a RB for next season and someone wanted last week's price for Cook, I wouldn't be a buyer, and would either buy another RB or just wait until next year's draft.
"

This was my entire point I was getting at. Really, it would be unwise to sell cheap or to buy at pre ACL tear prices. Basically, his owners now must just sit and wait. There is NO way someone today would or should pay pre injury prices for him. Just makes no sense. And, if you do own him, you shouldn't sell him at a drastic discount. I agree... it isn't buying low at all nor is it a strategy. It is a (Take ALL things into consideration line of thinking)./
im not sure how you can not consider this a buy low opportunity. obviously just a guess....and why i created the topic, if you can get a top 50 asset for top 100 prices....a dynasty owner should be looking to do so.

as mentioned in the op, i dont want the discussion to lead to what owners are willing to pay, but rather where you see him settling in with rankings and adp. its not suprising that someone wouldnt give as much today as they would before the injury. thats pretty much a no brainer imo. the injury does present a scenario where cook is available when he otherwise wouldnt be. most can see this. no different than if any other player were to suffer and injury and become available, when otherwise they are nearly unattainable.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Injury, missing the entire rest of the year, risk associated with recovery = NOT buying low. Rather, buying at current cost considering all variables. To you the owner, yes, buying low, but you must now consider you are selling a new car that.... isn't new, it's been in an accident. and, thus, isn't new.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:10 pm

sloth8u wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 am im curious to see how others feel about cook's value over the next 11 months assuming he has no set backs.........but rather, where you see him slotting in with adp and rankings.
The question here is, where do you believe the blue book value (rankings/adp) to be. Not whether or not your buying a previously wrecked vehicle....but rather the value of said vehicle.

cweds
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby cweds » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Would two mid-late 2018 firsts be considered a fair discounted price to buy at?
Team 1 (3rd Season):
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr
Start QB,2RB,2WR,TE,FLEX
24 Man Active Roster
QB: Wilson, Wentz
RB: Freeman, D. Cook, Jamal Williams, Carson, AP, Lindsay, RJ
WR: Adams, T. Hill, Thielen, M. Bryant, Golladay, Trequan Smith, Pettis, MVS, J'mon Moore, C. Williams
TE: Olsen, Gescicki, Ebron, J. Smith
2019: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Team 2 (2nd season):
12 team 4pt Pass TDs/.5ppr
Start QB,2RB,2WR,TE,3FLEX
25 Man Active Roster/3 IR spots
QB: Mariota, Roethlisberger, Trubisky
RB: DJ, Guice, Penny, Royce Freeman, Conner, Carson, Kelly, Dixon, Morris
WR: Allen, JJSS, Landry, Robinson, Watkins, Godwin, Callaway, Allison, Doctson, J. Moore, MVS
TE: Kelce, Njoku

Samhain34
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Samhain34 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Here's the move: Is there a team in your league trying to tank, but that has one or two great players that are threatening to derail that? Hit up THAT owner. He gets a guy with a bright future (but who isn't going to ruin his year by producing needless wins) and you get a great player you like who can help you THIS year.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why does everyone love Dalvin Cook?

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:58 pm

Watched all of his plays from this past NFL season (YouTube "Dalvin Cook trill highlights)
He seemed quick but unimpressive. He racked up good yardage but honestly it felt like he averaged 3 ypc, getting stuffed barely after the line of scrimmage every play.

Yeah he broke off some chunk plays but the rest of it left something to be desired. Not to mention him dropping what felt like a quarter of his targets.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Why does everyone love Dalvin Cook?

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm

He's going too high in start ups IMO. Mid 2nd coming off an ACL tear? Too rich for my blood.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:00 pm

I thought he looked pretty good. I'm fine with mid-2nd ADP when you factor in his age.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:15 pm

For me the big thing is; "who else?"..

Obviously you have Zeke, Bell, DJ & Gurley.
But beyond that - it is pretty wide open. He's super young and has flashed potential; you could poke holes in just about any RB at this point. To me, he had the most impressive tape of all the rookie RBs last year.

Being an owner, I'm happy I have him but would also not pay the prices he is going for.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:15 pm For me the big thing is; "who else?"..
That's my problem, I'm looking to trade out of 1.04 and 1.07 possibly.
But basically every RB after the big 4 have some decent sized warts
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:58 pmHe seemed quick but unimpressive. He racked up good yardage but honestly it felt like he averaged 3 ypc, getting stuffed barely after the line of scrimmage every play.
He averaged 4.8 yards per carry, while adding very good receiving ability & pass blocking. You're right though, he should really work on making his runs flashier so the average looks higher...

Barry Sanders had a ton of runs for zero yards or losses. So did Adrian Peterson. It happens. But Dalvin did a good job of creating yards even on poorly blocked or well defended plays.

I view him as one of the top young backs. The ACL injury hurts his value, but RBs seem to come back from those better these days.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:45 pm

I love him because I think he is really good at football.

To be fair though, I get my opinions from watching football games rather than highlight reels and stat sheets.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:58 pmHe seemed quick but unimpressive. He racked up good yardage but honestly it felt like he averaged 3 ypc, getting stuffed barely after the line of scrimmage every play.
He averaged 4.8 yards per carry, while adding very good receiving ability & pass blocking. You're right though, he should really work on making his runs flashier so the average looks higher...

Barry Sanders had a ton of runs for zero yards or losses. So did Adrian Peterson. It happens. But Dalvin did a good job of creating yards even on poorly blocked or well defended plays.

I view him as one of the top young backs. The ACL injury hurts his value, but RBs seem to come back from those better these days.
I guess what I meant to say was that it seemed like outside of a couple chunk plays he was pedestrian. I get that he has good yardage totals and a nice ypc, but on the screen it seems like he doesn't get much done consistently, but when he gets some room he can make a good play

^ and trill highlights posts all of his carries and targets, not actually a highlight reel

They actually do it for most players that have good games on any given week. I like them because it's hard to find condensed single player games from the NFL
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Snake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Snake » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Offer Dalvin and 1.03 for Zeke all day, right?

JetsFan86
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JetsFan86 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 pm

drbuttermaker wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:45 pm I love him because I think he is really good at football.

To be fair though, I get my opinions from watching football games rather than highlight reels and stat sheets.
X2