Release the Guice! - The Derrius Guice Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
georgetown
Starter
Starter

Release the Guice! - The Derrius Guice Discussion Thread

Postby georgetown » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:06 pm

It seems every other post has the 1.01 or Barkley in the title as that seems to be the consensus.

Would it be a better option and just go for the cheaper option the 1.02 and get Guice? He likely goes to a better team since it’d be later in the draft?

Plus there are some out there that say Guice is the better RB anyway.

What’s the 1.02 been going for lately anyway?

Hahaclintondix
Starter
Starter

Re: Guice

Postby Hahaclintondix » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:18 pm

It does feel like it’s 1.01 or bust. At the same time, I think people who own 1.02 know they hold a lot of power since 1.01 is unattainable without a serious overpay. Owners of 1.02 are holding out hope that they might get 85-90% of that.

Unfortunately 2018 draft picks seem to be valued higher than or equal to last year’s class. I’ve seen people trading top 25-30 players for the 4th or 5th pick, which seems nuts to me. Barkley hype and 2017 success have made this year’s picks wayyyyy overvalued in my opinion. If you can get the 1.02 at a reasonable price, then do it...but I bet you’ll have to pay more than you’d like.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 am

Guice is a good RB. He would be a typical 1.01 in a "normal" draft.

The top 6 RB's in this class all have RB1 potential with the right teams and schemes. So, it doesn't surprise me that top 5 or 6 picks are costing people quite a bit. Probably costing too much based on last year's RB explosion. But, these guys are good players.

As for Guice being almost as good as Barkley, well, that depends on your definition of "almost". I see Barkley as an elite talent and he's the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson in my opinion. And I think Barkley is more rounded than Peterson, especially in the passing game. I compare him to Ladainian Tomlinson. What would you pay for Adrian Peterson or LT2 at the start of their careers? So, I don't view it as an "over pay" if people believe that's who Saquon Barkley will become. He hasn't proven anything yet. But, he's as "can't miss" as I've ever evaluated.

That leads us to Guice, who should end up as an elite RB in his own right. He's a fantastic runner. But, I think he will end up dinged up throughout his career because of his running style. Like his teammate last year, they run with a purpose and put their bodies on the line. That leads to being healthy on a limited basis. It doesn't mean he won't play through some dings and injuries. But, I would bet that owners will get more years of high production out of Barkley than they will out of Guice.

With all of that said, owners should target 1.2 in this draft like they would normally target 1.1 in most drafts. That's roughly Guice's value. I will say that the prime target in this year's draft is 1.3 though because I view Michel as having similar value to Guice. Then there is a separation of tiers again in my book. So, targeting 1.2 or 1.3 should yield a high caliber prospect for owners.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:39 am

I tried. I got turned down of my offer of 1.6, 19 1st, and 2.10 for the 1.2.

Owner was very interested in chat, but ultimately rejected due to wanting to bet on Guice to look good at the combine and the 1.2 value to go up
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

sammyz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sammyz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:22 am

I am a Guice believer and bought 1.02. I sent what may have been an overpay but I was selling depth pieces to build for the future and to swing for the fences.

I sent Alshon+Hyde+2.07+4.07 for 1.02+3.02+Trent Taylor+Chris Ivory.

The important thing in the deal for me was retaining my other first round pick and getting significantly younger in replacements for Hyde and Jeffrey.

I had the option of trying to trade for 1.1 but it would have cost me twice as dearly. I'm expecting Guice to put up 90% of what we get from Barkley at least. Depending on landing spots there is always the chance that his situation makes him look like the much smarter buy, you never know at this point. Hunt would never have been looked at as a "better back" than Fournette last year, but he looks like a bargain now.
QBs: Dak Prescott, Teddy Bridgewater, Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston, Jalen Hurts, Andy Dalton
RBS: CMC, Miles Sanders, Gurley, JK Dobbins, AJ Dillon, Lamical Perine, Ito Smith
WRS: Godwin, DJ Moore, Juju, Keenan Allen, Diggs, McLaurin, Dionte Johnson, Jalen Reagor, Bryan Edwards, Brandon Aiyuk, Tim Patrick
TEs: Mark Andrews, TJ Hockenson, Irv Smith
DEF:Miami

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:22 am

FWIW I own 1.02 and I had somebody offer me Melvin Gordon straight up, which I passed on.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 am

I wouldnt have made that trade either. Gordon has been fantasy gold but i am just not a believer. Could very easily see his production drop with a viable backup now.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:54 am

UATahoe wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 am I wouldnt have made that trade either. Gordon has been fantasy gold but i am just not a believer. Could very easily see his production drop with a viable backup now.
It made me think but end of the day I think I prefer the younger back. Value seemed pretty spot on though.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:01 am

Would agree the value is right. Really comes down to preference. Its definitely a gamble on landing spot for Guice and whether he is legit but i still think i would prefer that side. I just dont trust Gordon honestly.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:13 am

I own the 1.02 in a league and haven't gotten single offer. Hopefully some of my league mates see this.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Jets and Giants have met with LSU RB Derrius Guice
https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/statu ... 1582896128

Derrius Guice's message to NFL teams this week: "If you don't draft me, I'm going to give your defense hell."
https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status ... 8683083777

Acidjazzzz
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Acidjazzzz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Only knock on Guice is how he can produce in the passing game. But if he goes to a good situation, you can be an RB1 as we have seen with Zeke Elliot in Dallas and not be used like Bell and DJ in the pass game.

So it comes down to that, RBs with size at least have the TD upside so he will be valuable, just the "super-back" prototype depends on how he shows in the receiving game. Unfortunately LSU does us no favors with their scheme, not using RBs in the pass game at all over the years.

But I am very high on Guice, but I think Barkley is easily in a tier of his own because of the receiving game profile he has built in college.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:05 pm

Guice reminds me of Doug Martin. I think he's very clearly the #2 prospect, but I think he's prone to being apart of a committee. He is a good RB, but I don't think he's a special RB. I would not trade Saquon Barkley for Guice, unless there was a significant piece coming back. Barkley is a three-down back and is special on the ground and in the receiving game. He could become the best RB in football one day and nobody will be surprised.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Very curious how people view Guice after the combine here. If it widens or lessens the 1.2 to 1.3 gap
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol