Intentional Tanking

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jp67
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Intentional Tanking

Postby jp67 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Long Story Short:

Am owner contacted the commish that one of the owners in a league looked like he was tanking. Owner in question fininsed in last place.

Commish posted the accusation and his findings on Thursday night

Commish took a look and decided it looked really bad (league rule is you tank you get kicked out). Owner is claiming he use his phone and did not become aware of the problems until the week 14 loser bracket playoff that he won and gets pick 1.13.

I was at the Mall (bored) so I started looking at them team in questions decisions and results.

Turns out he was putting in players on bye starting in week 5 (he played me and should have beat me had he played a kicker).
Week 6 he started Diggs who was out
Week 7 he started Diggs again--Fournette out---Wull Fuller bye
Week 8 Four Starters took Zero
Week 9 Five Starters took Zero
Week 10 Fournette and Gronk were benched
Week 11 Fournette and Gronk on the pine (with three zeros)
Week 12 Fournette, Gronk, Bulkhead Jamal Williams (with three Zeros)
Week 13 Fournette, Gronk, Bulkhead Jamal Williams (with three Zeros)

According to him it was week 14 and he realizes his app was not working and he starts to play all his good players.
He crushed his opponet in week 14 and 16.

Commish has decide he should move back to the third spot in the draft. My opinion is if he wants to stay in the league he should his first round pick. Had he played his obvious starters different teams would have gone to the playoffs.
I made the playoffs had he played his team (started a full team) I would not have made the playoffs.

Thoughts on this?
12 Team Superflex
QB: Winston Flacco Kizer Peterman Rosen Tannehill
RB: Cook Conner Foreman Fournette Burkhead Yeldon Austin Grant Roc Thomas
WR: A Brown Coleman Funchess Enunwa Gallup Richardson
TE: Njouku Everett ASJ

12 Team
QB: Luck Mahommes
RB: Barkley Booker Conner Grant Duke Kerryon Alf AP Sproles Roc Thomas
WR:Berrios Carroo Enunwa Gallup Kirk Moncreif ROgers Tre'quan Sutton J Washington Chad &Tyrlel Williams
TE: Anderson Doyle Ebron Engram Hooper
2019-Two Firsts--Four Seconds

12 Team 1QB 2RB 3WR 2FX 1D 1K
QB: Cam Bradford Rosen
RB: Bell Guice Mack Buck Alllen Burkhead K. Johnson Abdullah Conner Walton
WR: Baldwin OBJ Golladay Alshon Funchess Kearse J Matt M Thomas K White K Cole Allen Hurns J Watson
TE: Gronk Anderson McDonald
D: Bengals

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Intentional Tanking

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:49 pm

How do you not realizing your starting players on bye every week for 2 months. You’d have to be in 50 leagues or something for that to be plausible.

Also, how was this not brought to everyone attention before the season ended...
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:50 pm

If the commish sees enough evidence to believe he is tanking, then he probably should be booted per the bylaws.

jp67
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jp67 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:53 pm

Commish decision:
The rules in regards to tanking are immediate removal of that owner. I believe this is to harsh, so I decided to institute a draft pick penalty. Tyranny of Evil Men will be dropping to bottom of the 3-10 overall record group and will now be picking 3rd instead of 1st in 2018. I believe this a fair middle ground between the vague rules we have and doing nothing since the season is over.
12 Team Superflex

12 Team
WR:Berrios Carroo Enunwa Gallup Kirk Moncreif ROgers Tre'quan Sutton J Washington Chad &Tyrlel Williams

WR: Baldwin OBJ Golladay Alshon Funchess Kearse J Matt M Thomas K White K Cole Allen Hurns J Watson

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:00 pm

jp67 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:53 pm Commish decision:
The rules in regards to tanking are immediate removal of that owner. I believe this is to harsh, so I decided to institute a draft pick penalty. Tyranny of Evil Men will be dropping to bottom of the 3-10 overall record group and will now be picking 3rd instead of 1st in 2018. I believe this a fair middle ground between the vague rules we have and doing nothing since the season is over.
That’s really not middling ground. In my opinion, if he stays then he either loses his first round pick or his pick is moved to the end of the first round. Moving him to 3rd isn’t really a punishment.

gunzwil guinea pigs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gunzwil guinea pigs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:02 pm

you should have defined what tanking means in advance. f.e. is starting Kittle and bench Gronk a problem? of course not... so it cant be rule that you have to play certain players... so I can see your point esp. with this many cases, but I hate commish decisions on things like that...

In my league, everybody who doesnt make the playoffs gets spot decided by drawing lots. and if you make playoffs it's no problem IMO, because anything can happen in these games.
2QB-Dynasty - 10 Team standard scoring - 30man roster
2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, K, D/ST

QB: Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, Matthew Stafford, Mike White, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Marcus Mariota
RB: Breece Hall, Tony Pollard, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Rashaad Penny, Damien Harris
WR: CeDee Lamb, Garrett Wilson, Stefon Diggs, Devonta Smith, Terry McLaurin, George Pickens, Calvin Ridley, Zay Flowers, Robert Woods, John Metchie, Marvin Mims
TE: Kyle Pitts, Irv Smith, Trey McBride
K: Tyler Bass
D/ST: Browns, Washington, Packers

Picks 2024: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Picks 2025: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Picks 2026: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:28 pm

A few thoughts:

1) Not sure I understand the ruling. If you think the rule of removal from league is too harsh then it never should have been in the bylaws to begin with.

2) How does this not come up sooner? Those are a lot of obvious ‘errors’ to overlook for so long and no one say anything, publicly or to Commish.

3) Guy who broke rules clearly compounded his misdoings on the league by lying about how the errors occurred. The first issue is enough to remove him from the league, the second makes it near mandatory. Why would you want this person in the league going forward.

Commish needs to take action for the benefit of the league and find a new owner. For that new owner I don’t see an issue with them using the middle ground approach to give them 1.03 on what sounds like a solid team. They shouldn’t get punished, but not sure 1.01 is mandatory, though I can argue it keep it given the league at large (all owners) didn’t identify and act to address this sooner. Clearly other motives are at play to mention it at this point (I.e. playoffs were made, outcomes finalized, and now draft order becomes the priority...). League as a whole needs to do a better job.

SpartyOn
All Pro
All Pro

Postby SpartyOn » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Not sure how this went unnoticed for 8 weeks. Did anyone bring this up during the season or at the time were they just happy to collect a win against him? I had a similar situation with a couple owners 2 years ago but they admitted to tanking and we decided to take their blind bidding budget away for a year. They're still in the league and are not a problem. It is however, in our bylaws that if an owner starts a player on a bye then the highest projected player will be placed in their lineup.

I think it's a small penalty to move from 1.01 to 1.03 and if I were in the league I would be in favor of taking away the 1.13 that he was awarded when he suddenly discovered his lineup errors. Either way if the league is in approval of the punishment then all is well just pay a bit more attention to lineups throughout the season.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:33 pm

The commish has the job to enforce the rules. Not to do what he sees fit. Call for a league vote. The commish has agreed he was tanking (as he dropped his draft spot) does the remainder of the league see that as punishment or should it be a) expulsion as per the rules you all agreed to play b) loss of pick (s) c) punishment as chosen by the commish.

If you go this route id email all saying you think the commish is wrong in being able to choose their own penalty. Our rules are clear, and I doubt anywhere in the rules it says the commish can make it up as they go along. Then ask for a vote . I'd likely previously email a buddy in the league to ensure they 2nd tour request
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:48 pm

A penalty a month and a half after the season ends? That's bullshit. commish should have been on top of this earlier, warned him and given him a chance to rectify it.
Should be no penalty for this at all if it comes up this far after the season ended.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:13 pm

this pretty much ^^^ But I would tell the cat he just used his 1st 8 lives , next slip up and he gets the hatchet !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:02 am

Booting an owner is definitely not too harsh. I fully expect that anyone who intentionally is tanking their season to be kicked from a league.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:33 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:13 pm this pretty much ^^^ But I would tell the cat he just used his 1st 8 lives , next slip up and he gets the hatchet !
This is where I stand as well. The owner in question should be told he's on notice, but if people had such an issue, it should have been addressed long ago. Most casual owners are in hibernation mode now until draft time fires up
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

jp67
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jp67 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:36 am

Thank you for all the input. I am going to leave the league. This is an IDP league with 15 Starters so I get you can make a mistake but all the people that played him should have said something.

The week he played the commish he was short two starters. People were just taking the win and keeping quiet about the lack of players in his lineup.
12 Team Superflex

12 Team

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:24 am

I would leave too. The fact that it went on for so long is ridiculous. Wouldn't be a fun league to be in.