Rookie Superflex Rankings

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Rookie Superflex Rankings

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Interested to know peoples rankings at the early stages of the offseason for Superflex Rookie drafts. Will be interesting to look back on as we move through the process and ultimately the NFL Draft.

My quick, significantly under evaluated, and sure to be ‘unique’ take in the way too early stages is as follows. Obviously it is early, with a lot to play out, including landing spot and Senior Bowl / Combine, as well as further evaluation, which will ultimately change these rankings. Not afraid to be against the grain though, as every rookie class has surprised and disappointments that surprise general consensus.

1. RB Barkley - looks to have everything you want
2. QB Rosen - health and heart are my questions
3. WR Sutton - size and ability look the part
4. QB Mayfield - call me a believer at this stage
5. RB Michel - size, speed, wiggle...passes my eye test
6. RB Guice - lower than many. He’s still promising...
7. QB Darnold - questions, but has definite flashes
8. RB Harris - is this high? Low? He seems to vary.
9. WR Ridley - Older prospect with questionable QB.
10. RB Penny - Have had him higher, but is he special at anything? Does he need to be?
11. RB Jones - part time role in NFL could still be viable
12. RB Chubb - I’m not seeing a difference maker post injury. Holding out hope.

Noteable omissions:
QB Lamar Jackson - I don’t see an NFL passer for sustainability.
RB Love - seems like an undersized guy with uncertain pass blocking or catching
WR J. Washington - need to further watch route tree. Was debated with Chubb.
QB Allen - he’s an awful lot of projection. Need to see coaching staff / organization.
TE Andrews - too talented a class to have a TE 1st Round.

Interested to see others takes. If you want to critique, feel free, but provide some substance with your opinion, not just a ‘masses say this’ type statement (ie. I think Guice should be higher because he excels at...not, I think he should be higher because others rank him higher.), as I’d like to understand what I may be overlooking or underappreciating prior to diving deeper.
Last edited by FiremanEd on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Rookie Superflex Rankings

Postby AussieMate » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:44 pm Interested to know peoples rankings at the early stages of the offseason for Superflex Rookie drafts. Will be interesting to look back on as we move through the process and ultimately the NFL Draft.

My quick, significantly under evaluated, and sure to be ‘unique’ take in the way too early stages is as follows. Obviously it is early, with a lot to play out, including landing spot and Senior Bowl / Combine, as well as further evaluation, which will ultimately change these rankings. Not afraid to be against the grain though, as every rookie class has surprised and disappointments that surprise general consensus.

1. Barkley - looks to have everything you want
2. Rosen - health and heart are my questions
3. Sutton - size and ability look the part
4. Mayfield - call me a believer at this stage
5. Michel - size, speed, wiggle...passes my eye test
6. Guice - lower than many. He’s still promising...
7. Darnold - questions, but has definite flashes
8. Harris - is this high? Low? He seems to vary.
9. Ridley - Older prospect with questionable QB.
10. Penny - Have had him higher, but is he special at anything? Does he need to be?
11. Jones - part time role in NFL could still be viable
12. Chubb - I’m not seeing a difference maker post injury. Holding out hope.

Noteable omissions:
Lamar Jackson - I don’t see an NFL passer for sustainability.
Love - seems like an undersized guy with uncertain pass blocking or catching
J. Washington - need to further watch route tree. Was debated with Chubb.
Allen - he’s an awful lot of projection. Need to see coaching staff / organization.
Andrews - too talented a class to have a TE 1st Round.

Interested to see others takes. If you want to critique, feel free, but provide some substance with your opinion, not just a ‘masses say this’ type statement (ie. I think Guice should be higher because he excels at...not, I think he should be higher because others rank him higher.), as I’d like to understand what I may be overlooking or underappreciating prior to diving deeper.
We should hang out Ed, I like the cut of your jib. :thumbup:
Three running backs I'm not sold on are guice Ronald and love, I'd have Chubb higher as I still like him (another year from his injury) I'd have Darnold a touch higher, sutton above Rosen and I'm not sure about Harris yet. My big concern I've read about Mayfield is he is like Wilson BUT.... He isn't as fast or as agile, I'm picturing Wilson only slower and I see a dead qb. That's only what I've read, haven't gone over his tape yet

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:38 am

Depending where people have Love and Ronald Jones, I may or may not disagree with their ranking. Love scares me the most of the group, as some have him pretty high, and he simply seems undersized to carry a full load, and questionable 3-down skills. He can develop, but running is his strength, and I’m not sold on him excelling at it in the NFL. Jones is see more ability to transfer.

Guice I like, I’m just not sold like some where he is a clear 1.02. I can see him as far as 1.05 in non-Superflex when all is said and done.

For Mayfield, you could be right, however I like his talents in the pass game second to only Rosen and feel like that’s where a player needs to survive in the league. He has touch, placement, enough velocity, and minimizes turnovers. His ability to scramble and have accuracy on the move is a benefit, not his crutch. I feel Wilson relies on the scramble drill, part due to his line and part due to him being unwilling to throw it from the pocket unless it’s a deep shot. If Mayfield lives on that he could be toast, but at this point I have faith, and believe he has more talent than given credit by many, despite the college hype.

All that said, I have a lot more evaluation to do, and a lot is left to play out, so this is just my current take. Interested in everyone else’s as well.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 am

No love for Mason Rudolph. I’m not saying he is Rosen or Mayfield, but he was very very good at OK State. His TD to INT ratio is very impressive. Seems like a smart qb who can and has made some nice throws. I could see him being a sneaky, later round QB.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:08 am

I know so little about college that I don't even know the positions of all these guys you named.

I have the 1.09 in my Superflex and am pretty needy at RB. With that said - I'm very happy to have that pick this year as it looks like I'll probably have a pretty decent option available.

Nonetheless, I'm posting here so I can track the topic.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:57 am

Phaded wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:08 am I know so little about college that I don't even know the positions of all these guys you named.

I have the 1.09 in my Superflex and am pretty needy at RB. With that said - I'm very happy to have that pick this year as it looks like I'll probably have a pretty decent option available.

I’ve updated the OP to include players positions to help.

In my opinion, similar to this year, talent will be available through the high 2nd, supported by the potential QB depth.

I need to watch more on Rudolph, though at this point he seems like a Day 2 NFL Draft Pick to me. Similarly, he doesn’t seem like a 1st Round consideration for rookie drafts. The potential depth of this QB class pushes him even further than he may be in a weaker class. I can see late around 2 perhaps, otherwise Round 3?

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:27 am

Ed I love this topic as Superflex has become my favorite format.

Couple things for me, I have Darnold ahead of all the quarterbacks, I just see him having 'it' more so than the other guys. He makes throws that I don't see college quarterbacks make. Rosen scares me he seem so frail he always has an injury and his heart has been questioned. Landing spot will surely move these guys around the board a lot.

I love Guice, to be honest I haven't dug to deeply into him, just when I watch him he looks like the Prototype. love how he gets north to south very quickly and delivers a blow. Penny is a favorite too but it is hard to judge him up against that competition. Chubb I'm seeing as a Jordan Howard type not dynamic at this point but seems to get the job done, really seems like a pro.

James Washington is growing on me I honestly have a hard time taking him seriously because he wears a RB # and is built like one. My favorite guy that you don't have listed is Anthony Miller WR from Memphis, i'm not sure where he'll end up in rookie draft but he looks like he might be the best receiver in this group.

As a fellow Jets fan I hope that we end up with one of these QBs and a new running back at the least.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:49 am

I agree with a lot of that and was sort of what I was trying to say in very few words regarding Darnold and Rosen. Darnold flashes a lot. He has ‘it’, but can he be consistent with it. I know turnover context is important, but he had a lot of them. He has a lot of growth to do. I still consider him a high prospect, I just think Rosen is more consistent, with a very high level of skill himself. I think his floor is higher, with almost as high a ceiling. I can’t let nix and bruises change that. I also don’t see enough negatives in his personality to negate his on field. He’s a smart kid. I’ll bank on the smarts and ability rather than projection.

I honesty have not watched Miller, though have heard a bit about him. Rankings very subject to change.

I agree with your takes on pretty much everything else, for Guice, Penny, Chubb, and Washington. Chubb seems to be lacking the explosion he had, and almost more plodder unfortunately. I really liked him though so am holding out hope.

Needless to say, the Jets draft always has my full attention and I can’t wait to see how things play out.

King_Hippo
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby King_Hippo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 pm

1.) Barkley
2.) Calvin Ridley
3.) Guice
4.) Sony Michel
5.) Josh Rosen
6.) Courtland Sutton
7.)Christian Kirk
8.)Nick Chubb
9.)Kerryon Johnson
10.)Damien Harris
11.)Sam Darnold
12.)Mark Andrews

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:41 pm

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:44 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:57 am
Phaded wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:08 am I know so little about college that I don't even know the positions of all these guys you named.

I’ve updated the OP to include players positions to help.

In my opinion, similar to this year, talent will be available through the high 2nd, supported by the potential QB depth.

I need to watch more on Rudolph, though at this point he seems like a Day 2 NFL Draft Pick to me. Similarly, he doesn’t seem like a 1st Round consideration for rookie drafts. The potential depth of this QB class pushes him even further than he may be in a weaker class. I can see late around 2 perhaps, otherwise Round 3?
I appreciate that a lot - thanks Ed!