Stop calling Sammy Watkins a stud

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Has the hate gone too far on Sammy Watkins

Postby DJB » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Absolute buy low. Poor QB in Buffalo and not schemes to be go to guy in Rams. Mcvay spreads the ball around.

Niners are perfect fit
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

ESKAY
Captain
Captain

Postby ESKAY » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:59 pm

My problem is this.... some guys come on here and act like he is worth pick 1.2 in this years rookie draft. Just because you spent that on him doesn’t mean he is still worth that. Then you look at the tens in their signature and they have him in 3 out of 4 leagues. So my problem isn’t with Sammy Watkins it’s with the people that over value him.

NanceUSMC
Role Player
Role Player

Postby NanceUSMC » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:23 pm

I know this isn't an exact science by any means (and I'm as frustrated at Sammy and his usage as anyone), but if you give Sammy the number of targets Deandre has seen, then it's reasonable to extrapolate Deandre numbers from them....

Sammy's current numbers
70 Targets
39 Receptions
593 Yards
8 TD's

Double the targets, and the numbers suddenly start to look like the WR everyone knows he has the talent to be... Of course, it assumes a great deal to just blanket double the numbers, but I think 70 targets shows he's criminally underutilized...
10 team Non-PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1Def), full keeper, 23 man roster, established 2013

QB: Tannehill, Tua
RB: CEH, Swift, Sanders, Bell, Fournette, Etienne
WR: Jones, Hopkins, Chase, D Smith, Bateman, Parker, Fuller, Harry, D Johnson, D Samuel, P Williams, Higgins, Chark
K: Butker
Def: Baltimore, Carolina

Championships: 2015, 2017

2014: 1.01 (Became Watkins)
2015: 1.03, 1.04, 3.04 (Became Gurley, Yeldon, CAP, Robinson UDFA)
2016: 1.10 (Became Fuller)
2017: 1.01, 3.07 (Became Fournette, Henderson)
2018: 2.10 (Became Chark)
2019: 1.04 (Became Harry, Samuel, Williams, Isabella, Johnson)
2020: 1.01, 1.05, 2.01, 3.01 (Became CEH, Swift, Tua, Higgins)
2021: 1.03, 1.08, 2.03, 3.03 (Became Chase, D Smith, Etienne, Bateman)

BelichekYourSelf
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby BelichekYourSelf » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:49 pm

I'd buy for a mid/late 1st at this point. Still got the talent but hasn't put it together for more than half a season yet.

I'm very glad I traded him away for 2 2018 1sts this past offseason. Especially since they turned into the 2018 1.01 and 1.03
12 Team. Roster 22, 4 TS. PPR, TE Prem (1.75). Start 1 QB, 5 flex (2 RB Max), 1 Def, 1 K
QB P. Mahomes, J. Goff, B Zappe (TS)
RB S. Barkley, N. Chubb, R. Stevenson, T. Pollard, J. Cook, K. Herbert, A. Mattison, E. Mitchell
WR AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, C. Kupp, A. Cooper, D. Hopkins, DJ Moore, B. Aiyuk, R. Doubs, K. Boutte (TS), C. Tillman (TS), M. Wilson (TS)
TE M. Andrews
Def Patriots, Ravens

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:02 pm

ESKAY wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:59 pm Then you look at the tens in their signature and they have him in 3 out of 4 leagues.
Or the reason they own Watkins is because they believe in him, not the other way around.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:10 pm

ESKAY wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:59 pm My problem is this.... some guys come on here and act like he is worth pick 1.2 in this years rookie draft. Just because you spent that on him doesn’t mean he is still worth that. Then you look at the tens in their signature and they have him in 3 out of 4 leagues. So my problem isn’t with Sammy Watkins it’s with the people that over value him.
In fairness, after his first two seasons in the league Sammy's market value was likely above the 1.01. Since the foot injury and this most recent season his market value has certainly dipped below the 1.02.

Just be careful how you value rookie picks. They are awesome, sexy and insulated...but typically overvalued and in the end you have to turn them into players that help you score points. Despite the frustration, I still don't believe Sammy is a bad guy to own long term.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:17 pm

I’ll admit that I didn’t read every comment thus far, but imo the Dynasty community, which I have only been apart of for going into my 4th year. Has went from having low expectations and patience with rookies, primarily WR’s, to having very little patience and raising the bar of expectations for rookies. Alongside the real world factor of “always wanting to be right”/“wanting to be the first person to say....” Thus creating this illusion that if “Player X doesn’t meet my expectations this year he won’t ever reach expectations” thus throwing said player into that group of “overhyped” young players. When in reality there are only a very select few players that have ever entered the league and exceeded expectations from start to finish. And Fantasy has ups and downs. I know the feeling of holding onto a player for a year too long, but I think the pressure of hanging onto a player too long becomes almost like when you were in high school, and everyone’s opinions of you mattered.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Why can't his value be down right now? He hasn't done a whole lot lately to warrant WR1 prices that many people are putting on him. If he bounces back next year and plays to his potential, then his value will go right back up. But for right now, I have no problem saying he's worth a mid first. I think we make lots of excuses for players we like (I'm sure I've done it myself) and ignore some of the facts.

He has 8 TDs this year - If this was Arob, people would be screaming he's TD dependent.
He's a free agent and could go to a team that needs a WR1 - That's what the Rams were supposed to be.
Goff spreads the ball around too much - Woods would have had a 1,000 yard season if he didn't get hurt.
Julio had the same injury and look at him now - Julio (without looking this up) probably never played 16 full games and had a season this bad.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing and some are probably accurate and legit arguments, but I haven't heard anyone say that he's not talented. People are just probably fed up with the lack of production (whether due to injury or not) and are going to knock his value until he can prove he can do it again on a consistent basis.

AresGodOWar
Legend
Legend

Postby AresGodOWar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:32 pm

I see a top 5 talented WR but %90 of it is sutaition if he don't get the targets he won't produce just like anyone else is football , If he got 160 targets like AB he would have around 100-1400-18 right now
(1) 12 Team, QB 1.5 PPRushingYard, TE 1.5 PPR
QB-J.Hurts, B.Mayfield, K.Murray
RB-A.Ekeler, S.Barkley, T.Pollard, D.Swift, Z.Moss, T.Chandler, J.Kelley
WR-D.Samuel, M.Pittman, M.Brown, J.Jeudy, J.Addison, R.Moore, S.Moore, KJ.Osborn, J.Tolbert
TE-M.Andrews, D.Waller

(2) 12 Team, 1 PPR
QB-J.Hurts, R.Wilson
RB-J.Mixon, A.Ekeler, I.Pacheco, A.Mattison, C.Akers, A.Gibson, I.Spiller
WR-T.Hill, M.Brown, C.Olave, DJ.Moore J.Jeudy, J.Hyatt
TE-D.Schultz, G.Everett, J.Ferguson

(3) 12 Team, .15 PPCarry, WR 1.25 PPR, TE 2 PPR
QB-L.Jackson, J.Dobbs, T.Lance
RB-J.Jacobs, S.Barkley, A.Mattison, M.Sanders, Z.White, T.Chandler
WR-C.Lamb, AJ.Brown, J.Jeudy, M.Pittman, J.Tolbert
TE-D.Waller, J.Smith, G.Everett

(4) 14 Team SF, .2 PPCarry, TE 1.65 PPR
QB-J.Allen, G.Smith, J.Dobbs
RB-C.McCaffery, J.Mixon, J.Jacobs, Jav.Williams, C.Hubbard, S.Perine, C.Evans
WR-C.Godwin, J.Addison, C.Samuel, D.Parker
TE-D.Schultz, J.Ferguson

Teams 5-8 memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=36583
Teams 9-12 memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26151
Teams 13-16 memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=42194
Team 17 memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=31326

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:39 pm

AresGodOWar wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:32 pm I see a top 5 talented WR but %90 of it is sutaition if he don't get the targets he won't produce just like anyone else is football , If he got 160 targets like AB he would have around 100-1400-18 right now
That's actually another excuse that gets thrown around all the time. Maybe it's true, I don't know...but I'm going to assume McVay is pretty good at what he does and would give Watkins 160 targets if that were the case.

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Goddard wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:33 pm
He's a free agent and could go to a team that needs a WR1 - That's what the Rams were supposed to be.
You may have thought that, and kudos to you if you did. But from my memory everyone and their Mom labeled Goff as a bust, this year has certainly been a pleasant surprise. But I do not recall anyone at first thinking L.A. was a better situation than Buffalo. Sure after like week 2 some people may have thought that the arrow was pointed up, but kinda like the guy that said something about doubling Sammy’s targets, and much like you said, Goff spreads the ball around a lot. But all I am pointing out is the decrepancy in, he will be a WR1 on a team that needs a WR1, vs a QB who spreads the ball around

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Goddard wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:39 pm
AresGodOWar wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:32 pm I see a top 5 talented WR but %90 of it is sutaition if he don't get the targets he won't produce just like anyone else is football , If he got 160 targets like AB he would have around 100-1400-18 right now
That's actually another excuse that gets thrown around all the time. Maybe it's true, I don't know...but I'm going to assume McVay is pretty good at what he does and would give Watkins 160 targets if that were the case.
I could be wrong, but I think I recall on one their games the commentator was talking about how the Rams are very quick to the line of scrimmage, like get there before the communication is cut off. Allowing Mcvay to make some of the presnap reads for Goff. So that may have some sort of effect on who is getting the ball when, as a opposed to having a 2nd year QB run around like a chicken with his head cut off. Idk tho

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:57 pm

ZPalmtree wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:46 pm
Goddard wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:39 pm
I could be wrong, but I think I recall on one their games the commentator was talking about how the Rams are very quick to the line of scrimmage, like get there before the communication is cut off. Allowing Mcvay to make some of the presnap reads for Goff. So that may have some sort of effect on who is getting the ball when, as a opposed to having a 2nd year QB run around like a chicken with his head cut off. Idk tho
I don't know the reason...just pointing out that if giving Watkins that many targets was going to translate into those numbers, I don't see why McVay wouldn't call his number more often. Maybe they're worried that he would get hurt if he got that many targets and are trying to keep him healthy. Who knows...but it's a stretch and a random guess to say 160 targets would amount to X amount of receptions, yards, and TDs.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:01 pm

ZPalmtree wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:41 pm
Goddard wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:33 pm
You may have thought that, and kudos to you if you did. But from my memory everyone and their Mom labeled Goff as a bust, this year has certainly been a pleasant surprise. But I do not recall anyone at first thinking L.A. was a better situation than Buffalo. Sure after like week 2 some people may have thought that the arrow was pointed up, but kinda like the guy that said something about doubling Sammy’s targets, and much like you said, Goff spreads the ball around a lot. But all I am pointing out is the decrepancy in, he will be a WR1 on a team that needs a WR1, vs a QB who spreads the ball around
You're absolutely correct, I'm sure most people thought going from Tyrod to Goff would be a huge downgrade. However, turns out Goff isn't as bad as we thought and that Sammy did in fact go to a very good offense that was missing a true WR1. Knowing that, it would have been safe to assume he'd lead the team in receiving. For some reason it didn't translate into that. I'm just as surprised as anyone else because I would agree with everyone that he's probably their best WR. However, until he's used like it or puts up numbers that other WRs seem to be able to on the same offense, his value should be lower than what most have it as.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:13 pm

what would you pay for him? I have 1.01, 1.10 and 1.12
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz