John toss?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

John toss?

Postby ZPalmtree » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:11 am

I saw a tweet this morning from Mike Clay this morning about John Ross concealing an injury to his other shoulder, because he wanted to play. He has come clean and now is on IR https://twitter.com/mikeclaynfl/status/ ... 8007467008
With this being said I am aware of the Bengals' use of Boyd and Ross thus far. Is there still hope out there that either or mainly Ross becomes relevant?

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: John toss?

Postby Jfever » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 am

Dynasty vs redraft mentality.... ? In dynasty, many simply are too impatient. Many are unknowing victims of part of a societal trend of immediate gratification and lack of delayed return.

In short, and to the point of your question - Is there hope that either Ross or Boyd becomes fantasy relevant? Yes. Each of them are young, talented, have good pedigrees and resumes, AND apparently - have much to learn, and adjust to in the NFL.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 am

I'm not a huge fan of Ross' game, but the durability concerns really showed their bleep this season. I doubt anyone will be able to recoup the value he was at during the draft, so most will end up holding into next season.

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:22 am

JFever wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 am Dynasty vs redraft mentality.... ? In dynasty, many simply are too impatient. Many are unknowing victims of part of a societal trend of immediate gratification and lack of delayed return.

In short, and to the point of your question - Is there hope that either Ross or Boyd becomes fantasy relevant? Yes. Each of them are young, talented, have good pedigrees and resumes, AND apparently - have much to learn, and adjust to in the NFL.
I'll admit as soon as I posted this I wanted to add more. I didn't start playing dynasty until the summer of 2015. I was made aware of the 3 year rule when I comes to recievers. But would Ross fall into that category of rookies who didn't play? I know Doctson is playing well, but I remember a thread having to do with players with that in common. I guess I should have stayed how do you feel about him not playing much in his first year?

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:31 am

0 catches rookie season for 1st round pick...death sentence. Abandon ship folks.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 am I'm not a huge fan of Ross' game, but the durability concerns really showed their bleep this season. I doubt anyone will be able to recoup the value he was at during the draft, so most will end up holding into next season.
What is it that you don't like about his "game"? I'm assuming you are referring to his NCAA game. We simply haven't seen anything of him in the NFL to say we don't like aside from him not playing... The NOT playing or producing part... well, obviously his owners don't like that. But, in reality, a teaspoon of patience can go a long way with young wr's. We've been spoiled too many times in the past couple years by surprise production out of young wr.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

johnnybravo6
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby johnnybravo6 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:25 am

I own him in one of my dynasty leagues and I am not worried about what occurred this year. I think the best thing for him is that Marvin Lewis gets fired as he seems to really hold the development of these rookies back. He will have a full offseason to get fully healthy and to learn the offense. The kid can play and has AJ Green on the other side of him to take coverage away. He will enter next season as the #2 WR and put up good numbers

cp3
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cp3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:39 am

I can't imagine anyone's opinions have changed much.

If you didn't like him predraft and thought the Bengals reached, you probably feel validated since his biggest red flag coming out were the injuries.

If you liked him predraft, you can excuse this season away by not getting an opportunity to show what he can do.

The list of players who go on to successful careers after literally doing nothing their rookie season is minuscule, so while there's always a chance he bounces back and excels, he's on the wrong side of historical data right now.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:58 am

double post
Last edited by joeya2001 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:10 am

John Toss

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 am

JFever wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 am What is it that you don't like about his "game"? I'm assuming you are referring to his NCAA game. We simply haven't seen anything of him in the NFL to say we don't like aside from him not playing... The NOT playing or producing part... well, obviously his owners don't like that. But, in reality, a teaspoon of patience can go a long way with young wr's. We've been spoiled too many times in the past couple years by surprise production out of young wr.
Yeah, I'm referring to his college game. I agree with you that we have been spoiled by the 2014 WR class. However, the opposite side of the coin is that most of the 1st round WR's since then just aren't that good to begin with. I think Ross has clear talent and he's probably a better route runner than I've given him credit for, but I don't see him ever being a top option on a team. I just don't get that vibe from watching him.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:28 am

I preached selling Ross months ago because realistically what's his upside? Maybe if he hadn't been paired with Dalton, but he'll always be a 3rd option at best behind Green/RB's, maybe 4th behind the tight end. Dalton ain't supporting two top WR's though.

But now that he will go catchless in year 1, please abandon ship people. If you can acquire anything remotely useful in your starting lineups make the trade. Ross would be such an outlier at this point to become relevant, don't bet on that.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:37 am

Marvin Lewis just really needs to get canned. I mean how dysfunctional is that organization, torpedoing Boyd and now Ross.

I had been saying it from day one that if Ross wasn't 100% healthy, they should have shut him down from the get go....if he is healthy, then you need to play him. How can someone learn to play the game and execute in practice? Makes 0 sense.

But yes, he and Mike Williams are joining the Doctson, Kevin White, Breshad Perriman, Dorsett company, where it's not too pretty.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 am

Servo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:37 am Marvin Lewis just really needs to get canned. I mean how dysfunctional is that organization, torpedoing Boyd and now Ross.

I had been saying it from day one that if Ross wasn't 100% healthy, they should have shut him down from the get go....if he is healthy, then you need to play him. How can someone learn to play the game and execute in practice? Makes 0 sense.

But yes, he and Mike Williams are joining the Doctson, Kevin White, Breshad Perriman, Dorsett company, where it's not too pretty.
Pretty impressive how long he's been allowed to be a head coach and not achieve anything. Must have some serious dirt on the owner.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Sounds like a buy-low opportunity for Ross and Mike Williams.