General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Eli benched for Geno

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:31 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:55 pm
Kramer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:20 pm
ericanadian wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:17 pm Better or worse than McDermott's move to Peterman?
Easily better imo. They're not in playoff contention. Eli is getting close to the end of the road. Tyrod is still relatively young. They might as well see what they potentially have in Webb for the future.
But they're not starting Webb, they're starting Geno.
This is also where I am confused. The bills made no sense being in playoff contention. NYG are out and looking forward, it makes sense to give their future QB a tryout... unless they think Geno is... :wtf:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 pm

I don't understand this at all. Manning isn't what he used to be, but he's still a respectable QB. He probably has 3-4 years left, but he doesn't deserve to go out like this for a team he won 2 SB's for.

Starting a proven bust in Smith does nothing for you.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Eli to the Jags in the offseason? Reunite with Coughlin and give him some actual weapons and a top tier D?

EDIT: Literally right after I said this, heard the clip of Coughlin talking about how he loves Eli and is stunned/unhappy with this.
Last edited by Phaded on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Why is Geno Smith considered a proven bust??
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 pm Why is Geno Smith considered a proven bust??
A 5th year QB who has thrown more career INTs than TDs and could not even keep a job with the Jets.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:23 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:17 pm Better or worse than McDermott's move to Peterman?
Easily better imo. They're not in playoff contention. Eli is getting close to the end of the road. Tyrod is still relatively young. They might as well see what they potentially have in Webb for the future.
From my understanding, they're gonna be playing both of them. I highly doubt they'd just play Geno the rest of the way with a 3rd round rookie QB sitting on the bench. Even if he's dreadful and not ready for primetime, they will still give Webb an extended look. Worst case they know to draft a QB next year. Best case Webb flashes something that makes them think he could be the next guy for them.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Phaded wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm
ArrylT wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 pm Why is Geno Smith considered a proven bust??
A 5th year QB who has thrown more career INTs than TDs and could not even keep a job with the Jets.
Joe Namath threw more Career INTs than TDs. Arent there like 6 or more QBs in the HOF who threw more INTs than TDs?

I dont see how having 2 seasons of more INTs than TDs proves you're a busted QB. And in fact only 1 season - his rookie season on the Rex Ryan led Jets did he have more INTs than TDs.

The other 2 seasons dont count because you know very well he lost a season to a stupid punch and another half season to an ACL injury after behing behind Fitzmagic who had had his careeer year in 2015, after Geno lost his job to said punch. And why would the Jets keep a QB with an ACL injury when they had 2 other QBs to focus on that the new management had interest in. That doesnt make him a bust just victim of too many qbs not enough means to evaluate them all properly.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 pm I don't understand this at all. Manning isn't what he used to be, but he's still a respectable QB. He probably has 3-4 years left, but he doesn't deserve to go out like this for a team he won 2 SB's for.

Starting a proven bust in Smith does nothing for you.
Completely agree.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm Joe Namath threw more Career INTs than TDs. Arent there like 6 or more QBs in the HOF who threw more INTs than TDs?

I dont see how having 2 seasons of more INTs than TDs proves you're a busted QB. And in fact only 1 season - his rookie season on the Rex Ryan led Jets did he have more INTs than TDs.

The other 2 seasons dont count because you know very well he lost a season to a stupid punch and another half season to an ACL injury after behing behind Fitzmagic who had had his careeer year in 2015, after Geno lost his job to said punch. And why would the Jets keep a QB with an ACL injury when they had 2 other QBs to focus on that the new management had interest in. That doesnt make him a bust just victim of too many qbs not enough means to evaluate them all properly.
By what measure isn't Geno Smith a bust? The Jets spent a Top 40 pick on him. He has a career passer rating of 72.3, 36 interceptions in 34 games, 5.6 yards per attempt, and a 57.7% completion percentage. There is less than a 1% chance that Geno Smith is the Giants starting QB of the future. They are going to spend a high pick on a QB in the draft. They are better off just letting Eli play and showing him the respect he's more than earned throughout his tenure as a Giant.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:32 am

ArrylT wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm
Phaded wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm
Joe Namath threw more Career INTs than TDs. Arent there like 6 or more QBs in the HOF who threw more INTs than TDs?

Are you actually comparing Geno to a QB who played a completely different game about 50 years ago? You cannot reasonably compare them statistically in any way. If you are going to try that - at least come up with a relevant modern comparison that makes sense.

My statement only scratches the surface as I do not think a deep analysis is required to prove Geno is a bust. I think if there is a suggestion stating otherwise, that is when a deep analysis is required.

With that said - I would not be surprised if Geno is benched after 1 game and they go with Webb.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:40 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 pm
By what measure isn't Geno Smith a bust? The Jets spent a Top 40 pick on him. He has a career passer rating of 72.3, 36 interceptions in 34 games, 5.6 yards per attempt, and a 57.7% completion percentage. There is less than a 1% chance that Geno Smith is the Giants starting QB of the future. They are going to spend a high pick on a QB in the draft. They are better off just letting Eli play and showing him the respect he's more than earned throughout his tenure as a Giant.
If you want to look at a QB who recently turned his career around you can compare him to Case Keenum, but even Case had better stats playing for Houston and a Jeff Fisher led offense than Geno had. Case with Houston/Rams over 4 years was averaging more TDs than INTs (just barely) 6.9 YPA, 58.9% completion percentage. Now on the Vikings he is averaging 66.8% completion percentage and 7.6 YPA and a lot better TD/INT ratio. Not saying Geno can make the same transition with this depleted Giants team, but Case has shown it's not completely over.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:06 am

This is a pretty cold-hearted move, almost Belichick-ian. I'd kinda understand it if they were just handing the keys to Webb to see what they had in him before next year's draft, but to start Geno is just weird and dumb. They can't possibly think there's a non-zero chance that Geno is their QB of the future, could they?

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:26 am

Yeah it is easily worse...Giants went from not needing a QB to now having to find one. On top of a new coach and maybe GM
I see no way in hell Eli sticks with the organization now.

Tyrod probably isn't the future of any team and even Tyrod truthers have to admit that he is never a guy that a team is going to be satisfied with.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:47 am

I get the whole, "Our season is done. May as well start the backups to A) give them experience and B) see if they're any good or if we need to use our first round pick there" but Eli really didn't deserve this. His response how they said they'd start him for a series or two to keep his streak alive but pull him for the others and he turned it down to not cheapen the streak and that he'd do his best to help Geno and Webb was super classy. Hespect. Coach signed his own walking papers with that move, and he's not safe out at night on the streets of NY.

I would be very cool to see Eli go to the Jags for Coughlin and play there for a couple years with a Fournette running game and see where he can take that team
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:57 am

maxhyde wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:26 am

Yeah it is easily worse...Giants went from not needing a QB to now having to find one. On top of a new coach and maybe GM
I see no way in hell Eli sticks with the organization now.

Tyrod probably isn't the future of any team and even Tyrod truthers have to admit that he is never a guy that a team is going to be satisfied with.
You mean Geno, not Tyrod, right?

I am actually kinda surprised by some of the responses in the this thread. This is clearly a lost season for the Giants and Eli is no spring chicken. Geno, while not likely to be the QB of the future, has a much better than "less than 1% chance" to be their QB of the future. I would say something closer to 20% chance he turns it around, not great but you never know. And Geno has been an starting QB in the NFL before and has been the #2 all year behind Eli, so of course he will get a chance to start. He has had a lot more work in practice with the first team players. If Geno crashes and burns this week, that gives Webb an extra week to prepare to give him the best chance to succeed.

It does suck for Eli, I always like him as a player, but good for him to get out of this lost season early and healthy.