The Always Underappreciated AJ Green Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
npainter
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: AJ Green

Postby npainter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:25 am

I think he still has a couple years of elite to good production ahead of him. That being said I traded him before this week for Foreman and 2 mid 1sts in the league where losing Rodgers and DJ left me out of contention.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:27 am

KCLep20 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 am I think AJ will age well, his game isn't dominated on overpowering (Calvin/Julio) it is more about finess and speed which will last longer when you don't have a long injury history. I can see him staying in the top 5 WR convo for the next 3-4 years and be serviceable WR2 until he's 35'ish.

I have more worries about Julio as we've already seen Dez fall off due to injuries, and every week Julio appears to hurt something else. We saw the toll it took on Calvin, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the same thing happen to Julio unfortunately.
Not sure I agree with your overall statement, that speed ages well and physicality doesn't.

Route running and the ability to body up on defenders is how aging WRs stay good.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

wildabeast49
Role Player
Role Player

Postby wildabeast49 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:53 am

I don't think its reasonable at all to say you expect high level production in an age 34 season for anyone that isn't a qb. I think he's worth 2 firsts, but for 3 years or so when the statistics say the drop off comes in a big way. Saying he'll beat age for several years beyond the average is a random, uneducated guess because those who don't are the huge outliers. The whole point of outliers being that they buck heavy trends and can't be safely predicted. He certainly might, but it's foolish to expect it.
10 team, .5 ppr dynasty
QB: Brady, Wilson
RB: Fournette, cook, mixon, Ajayi, Gordon, Ware, Joe Williams, Hunt, Martin
WR: Evans, TY, Dez, Sammy, Coleman, Diggs, Ross, White, Fitz
TE: Watson, Eifert, Bennet

PPR 12 team superflex, limited devy (1 per year) heavy return yardage
Cousins, Rivers, Kizer
Fournette, Zeke, Mixon, mcCaffrey, Joe Williams, Mcnichols, Mack, Martin
Cooper, Evans, Watkins, Coleman, Diggs, Martavis, Chad Williams, Parker
Henry, Rudolph, Hodges

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:49 am

pierson242 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:00 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:31 pm
wvu06 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:20 pm What is AJ Greens value at this point?

He is 29, still an elite WR. Should have some good season ahead. Is he worth 2 firsts?
Yes easily. Absolutely no reason why he can't be a WR1/2 for 5 more years
x2
No reason to be that confident in anyone being a WR1/2 at 34 years old. Players can drop off at any time.

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:35 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:27 am
KCLep20 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 am I think AJ will age well, his game isn't dominated on overpowering (Calvin/Julio) it is more about finess and speed which will last longer when you don't have a long injury history. I can see him staying in the top 5 WR convo for the next 3-4 years and be serviceable WR2 until he's 35'ish.

I have more worries about Julio as we've already seen Dez fall off due to injuries, and every week Julio appears to hurt something else. We saw the toll it took on Calvin, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the same thing happen to Julio unfortunately.
Not sure I agree with your overall statement, that speed ages well and physicality doesn't.

Route running and the ability to body up on defenders is how aging WRs stay good.
I was more saying because he has long speed, as opposed to short-burst speed, i think it won't erode as quickly. everyone loses speed as they age, but there are different types. it's that quick twitch that seems to go before the long-speed does.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:43 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:49 am
pierson242 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:00 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:31 pm Yes easily. Absolutely no reason why he can't be a WR1/2 for 5 more years
x2
No reason to be that confident in anyone being a WR1/2 at 34 years old. Players can drop off at any time.
Shown no signs of slowing down! No reason you shouldn't be confident in him!
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:18 am

Not to bring up an old thread, but what do we see Green’s value as this season? I’m interested in adding him to try to give me some extra oomph for a championship run. Wise ...unwise?

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:57 am

It was just a toe, I don’t see much change from where folks were a couple months ago. I already own him in dynasty and just traded for him in a seasonal league for a playoff run.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

The Grudge
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby The Grudge » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:03 am

Rest of season what should we expect? If he sits this week which it sounds like he will, and they loose, they are getting pretty close to being out of the playoff picture. Do they just shut him down for the rest of the year if they are out? I hope he is able to play again this year, but my fear is they put him on IR with nothing left to play for. I traded for him 2 years ago, and as it goes feel I will just ride AJ into the sunset, and if I can get 2-3 years out of him, I am alright with that. He is a player I have always liked, and am ok with him finishing out his career on my bench. Unless it was an offer I couldn't turn down but don't think that will happen.
Team#1-12 team ppr 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/RB-WR-TE Flex/2DE/3LB/3DB/DE-LB-DB Flex 18 Starters
QB: Wilson, Allan, Big Ben
RB: Mixon, J. Taylor, Ekeler, R. Jones, Edmonds, D. Harris, Freeman, Gio, K. Hill, Tony Jones
WR: Cooper, Hopkins, Godwin, Cooks, Jeudy, Higgins, E. Moore, Callaway, Palmer, Slayton,
TE: Kittle, Jonnu Smith, Tonyan, RSJ, Parham, Albert O
K:
DE: Heyward, Hendrickson, Davenport
LB: Jayon Brown, Littleton, Leonard, Warner, Mosley, Wilson, Gay,
DB: Byard, Bell, Jenkins

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:41 am

The Grudge wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:03 am Rest of season what should we expect? If he sits this week which it sounds like he will, and they loose, they are getting pretty close to being out of the playoff picture. Do they just shut him down for the rest of the year if they are out? I hope he is able to play again this year, but my fear is they put him on IR with nothing left to play for.
:crazy: Huh? I get the Bengals are on a bit of a downward slide right now, but they're 5-4... if the season ended today they would literally be in the playoffs lol. Even if they lose @ Ravens this week, they have two home games on deck vs the Browns and Broncos...

It sounds like he will be back in time for the Broncos game if not the Browns game. Your only concern should be if AJG re-aggravates his injury and they somehow lose all 3 of those games. Let's cross that unlikely bridge when we come to it, he should be fine.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:18 am

I certainly think he can play easily another 5 years at a high level too. His game and style doesn't really rely on being super physical or a top tier burner. He does all his damage through elite route running being very long and having perfect hands. Those are traits that actually improve with age
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 am

I traded him 2 years ago because I wanted to get out before he lost value. I think I jumped ship at least 1 year early but I'm OK with it.

I will go against the grain and say that he will NOT age well. Correct me if I'm wrong, because my memory is a little foggy, but I recall him having some foot injuries. I know they can be notoriously difficult to get over completely and I was worried about them lingering or even popping up again as he got older. That was the reason I decided to get out back then... (I also had 3 other top 12 WRs and needed RB help badly)
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am

MrUbuto wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:18 am I certainly think he can play easily another 5 years at a high level too. His game and style doesn't really rely on being super physical or a top tier burner. He does all his damage through elite route running being very long and having perfect hands. Those are traits that actually improve with age
He's 30 right now. You certainly think he can play easily another 5 years at a high level? I'm gonna have to vehemently disagree with that analysis.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:22 am

0LDMAN wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am
MrUbuto wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:18 am I certainly think he can play easily another 5 years at a high level too. His game and style doesn't really rely on being super physical or a top tier burner. He does all his damage through elite route running being very long and having perfect hands. Those are traits that actually improve with age
He's 30 right now. You certainly think he can play easily another 5 years at a high level? I'm gonna have to vehemently disagree with that analysis.
Depends what we determine a "high level" over the next 5 season I bet he'll average out to a low end wr 2 with glimpses of a wr 1.

Some kind of top 5 Odell guy. No that's crazy
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

AJG injured in practice

Postby Blueboy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:37 pm

https://twitter.com/TheTylerDragon/stat ... 9072457728

training camp is the worst time of year to follow this sport

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale