The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Lets talk Deshaun Watson......

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:43 pm

He did a whole lot to reassure his draft stock last night, I can tell you that with confidence.
AlPal&Ange wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 amI just see a rich man's Tyrod Taylor
I don't agree with either player as a comparison for Watson, but just a note: 'a rich man's Tyrod Taylor' is Michael Vick.
Valhalla wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am Vince Young once put on a display in the Rose Bowl that made him look like he would be a superstar. It's hard to say. Maybe Vince would have had less mental hurdles playing for the Cowboys and would have been successful. Maybe not.
With respect to how fantastic that game was to watch, USC's D was no patch on Bama's D last night.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Lets talk Deshaun Watson......

Postby Servo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:38 am

I wholeheartedly hate Clemson (due to close friendships) and a part of me wanted to watch him fail vs. Bama but the other half didn't mind seeing what he did. The past two years, his stats were pretty damn equal the last time I looked but I believe people wanted to see much more growth from him.

Being in a 2QB league and Superflex, him going to the right situation would be a definite buy from me (same with Kizer). If he goes to a Cleveland or SF early in the draft, my chances of him falling into Round 2 (where I hold 4 picks) drops significantly....since I'm going to be taking one of the top 4 first.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Dare we consider Deshaun Watson...

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:54 am

...as possibly the overall dynasty QB1 now?

I'd have laughed out loud at this idea a week ago, but after he just wrecked Seattle's 5th ranked pass-D in Seattle, now I have to wonder.

Even the interceptions he threw ironically impress me in the sense that he just shook them off immediately like a five-year veteran and continued making plays; he wasn't fazed at all. This isn't how rookie QBs are supposed to perform in these situations, against this level of opponent.

Maybe Dabo was right?
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Dare we consider Deshaun Watson...

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:58 am

Nope. He'll regress to the mean. He's had a great start to his career, but we've seen great runs by QBs before and no one can maintain this pace. Not even Brady or Rodgers.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:03 am

Dare we consider....he's rg3

Let's be realistic here. It's his 1st time through the schedule. Very impressive, but coordinators will adjust. 1 injury could. Change a lot of things, ask arod and luck owners. Other young qbs have flashed only to come back down to earth.

Fantasyfanatic11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Fantasyfanatic11 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:03 am

Honestly, he has really impressed me. Sure he will regress a bit, but people really don't want to give him credit for what he's done up to this point.

I don't think hes the #1 dynasty QB just yet. Although he's in the top 5-10 for me easily.
16 team PPR
QB: Herbert Purdy Garoppolo Winston
RB: Chubb Bijan Kamara White Singletary Gainwell CEH Penny
WR: Cooper Moore Dotson Beckham Mooney Mingo Renfrow
TE: LaPorta Kittle Waller

16 Team PPR
QB: Herbert
RB: A.Jones Elliott Spears Gainwell Fournette
WR: Kupp Olave M.Williams Flowers OBJ Dotson Johnston Palmer Claypool
TE: LaPorta Schultz Njoku

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:06 am

Thing is, I was CERTAIN the regression would start *this* week. It was a road game, against the league's 5th best pass-defense in DVOA. Carroll's Seattle is a storied defense, of course, and they had weeks of tape to use against Watson.
Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:58 am but we've seen great runs by QBs before
Not by a rookie, not like this. He's breaking records with every passing week.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:09 am

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:06 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:58 am but we've seen great runs by QBs before
Not by a rookie, not like this. He's breaking records with every passing week.
Cam? RG3?

Give him credit, he's killing it. But it won't be maintained. That's not ripping him, it's just reality.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:11 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:09 am Cam? RG3?
That's what I'm saying; Watson is presently blowing away what they did. Every week he's breaking records for x stats over x weeks by a rookie, in addition to the all-time record he just set yesterday for passing yards, TDs, and rushing yards in one game.

Like I said, I just really expected Seattle would make him look like a rookie again. Didn't happen; he got better. He had a better passer rating than he did vs Cleveland!
Last edited by ninotoreS on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:12 am

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:11 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:09 am Cam? RG3?
That's what I'm saying; Watson is presently blowing away what they did. He's breaking records for x stats over x weeks by a rookie, in addition to the all-time record he just set yesterday for passing yards, TDs, and rushing yards in one game.
Good for him. Records are made to be broken.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:14 am

That's missing the point, of course.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:52 am

ninotoreS wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:14 am That's missing the point, of course.
i believe that your missing the point. most could care less who the overall qb 1 is. we could run down a list of the top scoring qb every year and most times we would find that it means absolutely nothing besides that you have an every week starter. of course we want the high end guys, who doesnt. if you drafted watson, your keeping him or selling for the farm...but it is truly irrelevant if he is the "#1 qb".

some are simply pointing out that others have been the top qb to be...in the past, and at the end of the day....does it really matter.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 am

sloth8u wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:52 am
i believe that your missing the point. most could care less who the overall qb 1 is. we could run down a list of the top scoring qb every year and most times we would find that it means absolutely nothing besides that you have an every week starter. of course we want the high end guys, who doesnt. if you drafted watson, your keeping him or selling for the farm...but it is truly irrelevant if he is the "#1 qb".

some are simply pointing out that others have been the top qb to be...in the past, and at the end of the day....does it really matter.
This.

Unless I'm in a 2QB league I don't care who my QB is, Dak/Wentz/Watson could all be the #1 dynasty QB but as long as it isn't like McCown or Hoyer/Beathard I'm not gonna sweat the position.

Watson could end his career 18 years from now having given you a minimum of 20 points each week or whatever and that's great for him and the people who own him but it's not like I'm gonna try and make a move to acquire him or reach for him in a startup, still gonna wait on QB like I have in redraft for the past 3 years and settle for a stable vet with less upside so I can upgrade at a different position.

I heard about it 2-3 years ago with Luck and I heard about it last year with Dak and I'm hearing about it this year with Watson, having the QB1 isn't as important as having a QB1, as long as I've got a solid starter every week (or even a couple low end guys to mix and match), I'm good.

Can't wait to have this conversation about Jackson or Darnold or Rosen or whoever in the next year or two, though.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

smoger45
Role Player
Role Player

Postby smoger45 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:31 am

But it does help if you dont have any wr's producing and your still winning with Watson overproducing.
16 team 30 man PPR High scoring format.
QB/WR/WR/RB/RB/WR|TE flex
D/D/DB/DB/DL/LB/LB/LB/CB
Completions .5
Passing Yards 15 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 10
Interceptions -4
Rushing Attempts .5
Rushing Yards 5
yards per point Rushing Touchdowns 10 Receptions 1
Receiving Yards 4 yards per point
Receiving Touchdowns 10
Return Touchdowns 20
2-Point Conversions 3
Fumbles Lost -4
Offensive Fumble Return TD 20
Kickers
Field Goals
0-19 Yards 5 20-29 Yards 6 30-39 Yards 8 40-49 Yards 12 50+ Yards 15
Point After Attempt Made 2

QB. D. Jones, Herbert,
RB. D. Pearce, M. Gordon, N. Harris D. Singletary, Jamal Williams, Ty Johnson
WR. A. Cooper, Djax, Marquise Brown, OBJ, E. Moore, Duvernay, V. Jones
TE Z. Ertz, D. Waller
K W. Lutz
LB J. Baker, Mykal, Pratt, J.Phillips
DE C. Jordan, B. Burns
CB T. Diggs, K. Gordon, P. Adebo
S T. Edmunds, A. Winfield Jr. Marcus Williams

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:48 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 am
sloth8u wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:52 am

This.

Unless I'm in a 2QB league I don't care who my QB is, Dak/Wentz/Watson could all be the #1 dynasty QB but as long as it isn't like McCown or Hoyer/Beathard I'm not gonna sweat the position.

Watson could end his career 18 years from now having given you a minimum of 20 points each week or whatever and that's great for him and the people who own him but it's not like I'm gonna try and make a move to acquire him or reach for him in a startup, still gonna wait on QB like I have in redraft for the past 3 years and settle for a stable vet with less upside so I can upgrade at a different position.

I heard about it 2-3 years ago with Luck and I heard about it last year with Dak and I'm hearing about it this year with Watson, having the QB1 isn't as important as having a QB1, as long as I've got a solid starter every week (or even a couple low end guys to mix and match), I'm good.

Can't wait to have this conversation about Jackson or Darnold or Rosen or whoever in the next year or two, though.
You're totally right, but this answer is exactly why I hate 1QB leagues with less than 16 teams. Having an awesome QB should mean something, and formats that devalue QBs are lame to me. But this is off-topic I guess.