Speculative RB adds - on to week 4!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Speculative RB adds - on to week 4!

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Not sure this deserves its own thread, but I am curious about how people are viewing a few RBs who quietly seem to have a shot to emerge in open backfields in the near future: Alex Collins, Orleans Darkwa, Elijah McGuire, Wendall Smallwood. All are young (Darkwa young-ish at 25). None of them are super exciting, but it can be a struggle to find RBs in dynasty leagues sometimes, so if you can get a jump on guys with a speculative add, it really helps.
  • Darkwa has had some buzz on these boards in the past and there was a recent beat reporter saying he might finally take the lead role from Perkins. I have probably added him 3 times a year for the past 3 years, so I am feeling a little meh towards him now.
  • Collins has a bit of hype now but could see a pretty big jump if West misses time or Harbaugh follows through on giving him more carries. From the little tape I have seen of him, he looks like a better runner than West or Allen, even if he isn't a threat to Allen's receiving role.
  • McGuire, I know almost nothing about. From playerprofiler it looks like he is similar to Powell and Forte in that he was prolific in the passing game in college. His workout numbers are not great and not bad. More importantly, he got 11 snaps (6 less than Powell) and 6 carries and a reception last week. With the Jets being awful, maybe they will see what they have in McGuire soon.
  • Smallwood, I don't really want, but he did work ahead of Blount last week and might benefit if Philly goes run heavy at any point. They do have a decent line on paper, and if Blount doesn't improve, I think someone in Philly will have to get carries eventually. Maybe that is Smallwood, or maybe Corey Clement enters into the conversation at that point.
Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to discuss these guys since they all have a similar trajectory so far this season. Are you guys buying any of them in particular? Not bothering with any of them? Think some other guys fall into the category that I missed?

Collins and McGuire are probably the most interesting to me. but I could see a case for Darkwa or maybe even Smallwood/Clement.
Last edited by ColdZealDonkeyStrike on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Week 3 speculative RB adds

Postby Bot101 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 pm

I just picked up Collins. He seems the most interesting of this group.

keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby keebs3 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 pm

I picked up McGuire this morning- seems like the Jet's might as well get the rookie started. I do like Collins as well- I was a fan last year while he was in Seattle. A lot of people though he had a chance to take over that job- as Carson seems to be doing this year.
I'm added and dropped Smallwood a few times- early Sunday just in case. He just never seems to do anything...
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

ProjectMayhem11
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ProjectMayhem11 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:05 pm

I'm glad you brought up McGuire! In Devy leagues, I have owned McGuire since he was a freshman in college.

Having watched McGuire since he entered as a freshman at ULL and he was a difference maker from his first game. I watched everyone of his games and had hoped he would enter the draft after his junior year. But, McGuire is a team-first player and he was building a legacy at ULL. After his junior year of football, he joined the baskeball team and was the backup point guard (not playing since his senior year of HS).

But, to really know McGuire, you have to look beyond the combine numbers. McGuire is the type of RB every team should want to have. He is quicker than the numbers suggest (shuttle times) and has great hands. This past week, McGuire had an increase in snaps and hopefully that continues in the coming weeks. I would highly suggest watching game tape of McGuire during his sophomore and junior years (during his senior year he played hurt but played every game).
12 Team/23 Roster (PPR, 5pt/TD) QRWWWTFFKD

Devy 1
Q: Rivers, Garoppolo
R: Mixon, Cook, Bernard, Drake, McGuire, R. Freeman
W: Green, A. Robinson, Crabtree,Kupp, Treadwell, Godwin, Goodwin, St. Brown
T: Kelce, Howard, Andrews, ASJ

Devy 2
Q: Stafford, Prescott
R: Mixon, Guice, Du. Johnson, Bernard, Drake, McGuire, Riddick
W: A. Robinson, K. Allen, Cooks, Doctson, Treadwell, Lee, Boyd, Cole, Enunwa
T: Ertz, Njoku, Gesicki, ASJ

Devy 3
Q: Stafford, Garoppolo, Dalton
R: Mixon, Crowell, Riddick, Carson, McGuire, R. Jones II
W: Hopkins, D. Thomas, Doctson, Crabtree, K. Benjamin, Hurns, Godwin, Perriman, St. Brown
T: Kelce, Rudolph, Andrews

Devy 4
Q: Stafford, Goff
R: Mixon, Collins, Bernard, Du. Johnson, R. Freeman
W: Cooks, Diggs, Doctson, M. Jones, Juju Smith, Godwin, J. Matthews, Cole, St. Brown, Boyd, Carroo, Perriman
T: Kelce, Andrews, ASJ

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:14 pm

ProjectMayhem11 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:05 pm I'm glad you brought up McGuire! In Devy leagues, I have owned McGuire since he was a freshman in college.

Having watched McGuire since he entered as a freshman at ULL and he was a difference maker from his first game. I watched everyone of his games and had hoped he would enter the draft after his junior year. But, McGuire is a team-first player and he was building a legacy at ULL. After his junior year of football, he joined the baskeball team and was the backup point guard (not playing since his senior year of HS).

But, to really know McGuire, you have to look beyond the combine numbers. McGuire is the type of RB every team should want to have. He is quicker than the numbers suggest (shuttle times) and has great hands. This past week, McGuire had an increase in snaps and hopefully that continues in the coming weeks. I would highly suggest watching game tape of McGuire during his sophomore and junior years (during his senior year he played hurt but played every game).
This is the type of homer insight I was hoping for in this thread! Thanks :thumbup: I will check out the sophomore/jr tape later today. I added McGuire in one league this morning (dropping Smallwood) but again, I know almost nothing about him.

The more I look at it, Collins seems like the best talent and in the best spot. He's alsi probably the least likely to still be available if your waivers have run, but he is the one I'm after most aggressively in remaining waivers.

Keebs described my feeling toward Smallwood exactly. He just doesn't seem to do anything...

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Whoa is there something more to this McGuire kid I am not aware of? Ive never heard of him really.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Bot101 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 pm Whoa is there something more to this McGuire kid I am not aware of? Ive never heard of him really.
He is still a 6th round pick in a RBBC on the jets, but right now he has 2 data points, and the 2nd data point is higher than the first. If he gets a little more involved this week and has say, 10 touches with a decent yard per touch, he is probably getting listed in every waiver wire article next week.
That is why I added him. I started the discussion since a few of these guys had that same thing going on, and I am sure some of the fine posters on this board can give me some more insight on them as players.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:57 pm

jtd1387 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 pm
Bot101 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 pm Whoa is there something more to this McGuire kid I am not aware of? Ive never heard of him really.
He is still a 6th round pick in a RBBC on the jets, but right now he has 2 data points, and the 2nd data point is higher than the first. If he gets a little more involved this week and has say, 10 touches with a decent yard per touch, he is probably getting listed in every waiver wire article next week.
That is why I added him. I started the discussion since a few of these guys had that same thing going on, and I am sure some of the fine posters on this board can give me some more insight on them as players.
So would I be stupid dropping Collins for him?

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 pm

As of right now, I have Collins above McGuire. However, please see my previous comment about knowing very little about McGuire haha. I would try to get him on your roster another way.

knut45
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby knut45 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:25 am

Would suggest Matt Breida if he is available as well. Looked like he was shot out of a cannon on very limited snaps this weekend.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 am

I've had a soft spot for McGuire since this spring and tried to pick him up wherever I could. I'll admit that it was purely emotional though as he was huge for me in college fantasy the past 2 years. LOL
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 am

BuckeyeNation wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 am
I've had a soft spot for McGuire since this spring and tried to pick him up wherever I could. I'll admit that it was purely emotional though as he was huge for me in college fantasy the past 2 years. LOL
His sophomore stats are a lot more what you'd expect a pro prospect playing in the sun belt to look like. 1700 years on 200 touches is impressive at almost any level.

gunzwil guinea pigs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gunzwil guinea pigs » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 am

knut45 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:25 am Would suggest Matt Breida if he is available as well. Looked like he was shot out of a cannon on very limited snaps this weekend.
love him too
2QB-Dynasty - 10 Team standard scoring - 30man roster
2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, K, D/ST

QB: Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, Matthew Stafford, Mike White, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Marcus Mariota
RB: Breece Hall, Tony Pollard, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Rashaad Penny, Damien Harris
WR: CeDee Lamb, Garrett Wilson, Stefon Diggs, Devonta Smith, Terry McLaurin, George Pickens, Calvin Ridley, Zay Flowers, Robert Woods, John Metchie, Marvin Mims
TE: Kyle Pitts, Irv Smith, Trey McBride
K: Tyler Bass
D/ST: Browns, Washington, Packers

Picks 2024: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Picks 2025: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Picks 2026: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 am

jtd1387 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm maybe Corey Clement enters into the conversation.
That's what I'm betting on. Clement SHOULD be next guy up for all the Blount carries. He hasn't been, but he should've been.

AlbertaPrime
Role Player
Role Player

Postby AlbertaPrime » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:29 am

What about Wayne Gallman? NYG backfield is a mess, and might be only a matter of time before they try him out.
14 Team/Dynasty League (Old School Standard Scoring) - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1D, 1K
Core Roster Pieces
QB: Dak Prescott, Geno Smith
RB: Josh Jacobs, Alex Mattison, Gus Edwards, Tyler Allgeier, Jaylen Warren, Ken Gainwell
WR: Justin Jefferson, Keenan Allen, Christian Kirk, Puka Nacua, Jayden Reed, Josh Downs, Rashid Shaheed, Pops Douglas, Trey Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Tyler Kraft