Joe Mixon Thread: 4 Year extension in Cincy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Kramer
MVP
MVP

Re: The official Joe Mixon thread

Postby Kramer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:13 am

IBall2 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:14 am I'm a little down on Mixon right now just because he is being used as a committee back in the preseason and that's really all we can expect to start the season as well. I thought I'd never be saying this but I might have to start Fat rob week one over Joe Mixon.
In your situation, I would easily start Fat Rob over him to start the season until Mixon takes over the bulk of the work in the backfield.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

chopping mall
Role Player
Role Player

Postby chopping mall » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:11 am

I have Mixon, drafted him at 1.02 but never envisioned him as a week 1 starter. After I drafted him, went out and acquired Gio, drafted Marshawn Lynch in the 3rd round and then went out and traded for Jordan Howard and Jay Ajayi.

by the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised if Mixon is my RB1, it's about patience with him.
Team: Hounds of Justice - Year 5
12 Team - 35 Man roster .5 PPR Dynasty IDP (1QB|2WR|2RB|1TE|2Flex|2DL|2LB|2DB|1Flex)
QB: D. Brees, D. Carr, A. Dalton
RB: S. Barkley, J. Mixon, C. Clement, F. Gore, J. Jackson, P. Perkins, G. Bernard
WR: K. Allen, A. Green, J. Edelman, B. Cooks, T. Quinn, J. Reynolds, M. Crabtree, J. Doctson
TE: D. Walker D. Waller, D. Goedert, J. Smith
DL: T. Flowers, J. Houston, C. Peters, E. Ansah
LB: D. Leonard, M. Jack, N. Vigil, J. Baker, P. Onwuasor, S. Hamilton
DB: J. Bates, K. Jackson,
taxi: R. Finley, D. Crockett, J. Ursua, D. Willis, J. Thornhill
2020 Picks: 3rd, 5th, 6th

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:43 am

This should be titled "The official GOAT thread."

But I do agree, the fact that Marvin Lewis is being so stubborn and wasting touches on Hill is pretty sad. I'd expect that to stop within a week or two of the season when they're trying to win real games, but I also know we're playing dynasty football. I've seen people moving Hunt up to 1.06 or higher after the Ware injury as if he all of a sudden became a better RB. His current situation got better, but dynasty value shouldn't have changed at all. Same with Mixon, even if he doesn't start right away, that shouldn't change anything in terms of his value.

Jintsfan66
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Jintsfan66 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:22 am

Goddard wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:43 am This should be titled "The official GOAT thread."

But I do agree, the fact that Marvin Lewis is being so stubborn and wasting touches on Hill is pretty sad. I'd expect that to stop within a week or two of the season when they're trying to win real games, but I also know we're playing dynasty football. I've seen people moving Hunt up to 1.06 or higher after the Ware injury as if he all of a sudden became a better RB. His current situation got better, but dynasty value shouldn't have changed at all. Same with Mixon, even if he doesn't start right away, that shouldn't change anything in terms of his value.
Great explanation Goddard, hit the nail right on the head :dance:
2009, 2010, 2013, 2016 Champion, 2011 3rd Place, 2012 Runner-UP
10 Team, 17 man Roster, 4 Keepers, 1 PPR - 7th year
1QB, 2-RB, WR,1TE, TE/WR/RB FLEX, K, DEF

QB- Herbert,
RB - McCaffrey, Barkley, Mixon, Foreman, Perine,
WR- Mike Evans, T. McLaurin, C. Sutton, D. Johnson, Osborn, Bateman
TE - Njoku Dulchich, Likely
DEF - NE

Rookie Taxi Squad - Ridder, Olave, Velus Jones

dpham503
Rookie
Rookie

Postby dpham503 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:29 am

Do you think it would be a good move then to take advantage of Hunt's all time high and grab Mixon?
12-Team, Full PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1SF
QB: Winston, Tannehill, Brady, K. Allen, RG3, Manning
RB: Gordon, Conner, Guice, Laird, M. Davis, J. Williams, B. Scott, Henderson, McCoy, D. Lewis
WR: Hopkins, Godwin, Edelman, Tate, Slayton, Samuel, P. Williams
TE: Andrews, J. Smith, Graham
Taxi: Stidham, Willis

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:36 am

Meaning trade Hunt for Mixon? Absolutely, especially if you could get something on top.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:45 am

So can someone in here explain the Mixon hype to me? I constantly hear that he's the "most talented runner in this class", but this is a guy who had a nearly 50/50 split in touches last year at Oklahoma with Perine. I would hope that the "most talented" guy coming out would have had control of his backfield in college, like Dalvin Cook (roughly 75% of the RB touches at Florida State last year) and Christian McCaffrey (~2/3 or so) did, for example. And I know Fournette shared carries, but everyone knew he was basically taking a year off, trying to avoid injury ahead of getting drafted.

Admittedly, I followed the draft process a little less this year since I wasn't picking at the top. I'm not trying to slam the guy's skillset or anything, just looking for reasons why everyone seems to think so highly of him.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:45 am So can someone in here explain the Mixon hype to me? I constantly hear that he's the "most talented runner in this class", but this is a guy who had a nearly 50/50 split in touches last year at Oklahoma with Perine. I would hope that the "most talented" guy coming out would have had control of his backfield in college, like Dalvin Cook (roughly 75% of the RB touches at Florida State last year) and Christian McCaffrey (~2/3 or so) did, for example. And I know Fournette shared carries, but everyone knew he was basically taking a year off, trying to avoid injury ahead of getting drafted.
Also you have it a bit backward.... Samaje Perine was the workhorse back and ran for 1,713 yds and 21 TDs in 2014... before Mixon's talent forced a role, that earned him an equal share of touches by 2016... and he still produced 1,812 total yards and 15 Tds, while only receiving half the touches.

You would've absolutely hated guys like Terrell Davis, Priest Holmes. Many examples of guys whom have come out without sole ownership of college role and done just fine.... Guys like Marshawn Lynch and Todd Gurley only got 2 out of every 3 touches.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Reljac wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 pm
Ruggenater wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:45 am So can someone in here explain the Mixon hype to me? I constantly hear that he's the "most talented runner in this class", but this is a guy who had a nearly 50/50 split in touches last year at Oklahoma with Perine. I would hope that the "most talented" guy coming out would have had control of his backfield in college, like Dalvin Cook (roughly 75% of the RB touches at Florida State last year) and Christian McCaffrey (~2/3 or so) did, for example. And I know Fournette shared carries, but everyone knew he was basically taking a year off, trying to avoid injury ahead of getting drafted.
Also you have it a bit backward.... Samaje Perine was the workhorse back and ran for 1,713 yds and 21 TDs in 2014... before Mixon's talent forced a role, that earned him an equal share of touches by 2016... and he still produced 1,812 total yards and 15 Tds, while only receiving half the touches.

You would've absolutely hated guys like Terrell Davis, Priest Holmes. Many examples of guys whom have come out without sole ownership of college role and done just fine.... Guys like Marshawn Lynch and Todd Gurley only got 2 out of every 3 touches.
So 2 out of every 3 is a pretty good majority share, especially in run-heavy college offenses (see McCaffrey).

Not sure where you're going with that line of thinking, but I don't think Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis are good arguments for Mixon. An undrafted guy and a 6th round pick--these weren't highly thought of players coming out of college. Yes, they went on to produce, but that's like saying late round and undrafted QBs are worth investing in because of Brady and Romo.
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Fair enough, but you are missing the point that a college team can have more than one good RB... in the case of Priest Holmes... Why would anyone expect him to start over Ricky Williams, who was busy winning a heisman... In the Case of Mixon, why do you think Oklahoma should bench a RB who has 1700 yds rushing and 21 TDs in his first year, just because Mixon who was having off the field issues is on the team.

Look Perine & Mixon were in the same recruiting class... and Perine Capitalized while 5star recruit was busy being suspended for a season because of the domestic... It's not that hard to see how Perine gained a lot of favor especially with his stellar year while Mixon was out.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 pm

He also forced four missed tackles on nine touches yesterday according to PFF. Preseason but good to see him pick up where he left off at Oklahoma. I'm not overly concerned about the fumble, it didn't look like he took the handoff cleanly. He's a rookie he'll learn. If Hill's ankle injury lingers into week 1 he could have an opportunity to seize the starting job earlier than expected. He might not be highly productive this year due to the timeshare/offensive line struggles but his long term outlook is still very good.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Reljac wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:53 pm Fair enough, but you are missing the point that a college team can have more than one good RB... in the case of Priest Holmes... Why would anyone expect him to start over Ricky Williams, who was busy winning a heisman... In the Case of Mixon, why do you think Oklahoma should bench a RB who has 1700 yds rushing and 21 TDs in his first year, just because Mixon who was having off the field issues is on the team.

Look Perine & Mixon were in the same recruiting class... and Perine Capitalized while 5star recruit was busy being suspended for a season because of the domestic... It's not that hard to see how Perine gained a lot of favor especially with his stellar year while Mixon was out.
Fair point for why Mixon isn't someone to be ignored and a good counter for the market share piece. What is it though that makes people call Mixon the most talented runner in this class? PFF grade last year? High productivity despite a shared backfield? Something else?

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:36 pm

I think it is this: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/joe-mixon/

His best comps are Zeke and Bell (in Bell's case a big back who can catch the ball out of the backfield). He is ellusive for someone his size (see above comments about missed tackles). And most people were saying he may have been the #1 RB in the draft from a skill set perspective if not for the off the field incidents.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 pm Fair point for why Mixon isn't someone to be ignored and a good counter for the market share piece. What is it though that makes people call Mixon the most talented runner in this class? PFF grade last year? High productivity despite a shared backfield? Something else?
A combination of many things. Tape for one. Watching him play, I was more impressed with some of his 5 yard runs in the preseason where he broke several tackles, made guys miss, and got yards after contact. Compared to CMC, where he had a few big runs/catches but was barely touched on any of them. He did a good job running behind blockers, but went down once there was any contact. I'm not going to turn this into a Mixon vs CMC thread though, just an example that came to mind.

Also, splitting carries in college isn't that out of the ordinary. Reggie Bush was arguably the greatest college RB (or at least talked about that way when he was playing) and split carries with Lendale White pretty evenly. And as it was already pointed out, he came in after being suspended for the whole year and playing behind Perine who had a terrific year in 2014. However, if you look at the numbers, it's easy to see how much better Mixon was, even while splitting work.

DrNoish
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DrNoish » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm an OU homer so it's biased regardless. When it comes to fantasy Mixon has been in the top three for me since he declared. I actually love Dalvin Cook also. Of the three top RB's, he has the most solid QB and offensive situation. A team that wants to run, and is capable. A back that is also very skilled at pass catching, while another 3rd down special is on the team to take even more heat off there seems beneficial to me.

Fournette is badass on a team that seems to struggle to run. Cook, another badass, on a team that struggles to run. Mixon, the same but a team that seems better at it, and more stable. But I'm a previously announced homer thats had a few Blue Moons. I'd take Mixon easily. My major concern coming out of OK is his instant BFF's of PacMan and Burfict.

I say this also as a major Perine fan and that hasn't seemed to be working out so well. Doubling down by buying cheap, but definitely scared on that one.
12 Team PPR 1QB - 1RB - 1WR - 2RB/WR - 1TE

KUPP the Balls
QB- Herbert, Hurts, Newton
RB- Montgomery, RoJo, Lindsay, Michel, Gurley, Vaughn, Foreman
WR- Lamb, Hopkins, Beckham, Metcalf, Cooks
TE- Kelce, Ertz
Picks 1.11, 2.04, 2022 1st