Go after Gronk?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Go after Gronk?

Postby The Red Rooster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:39 am

I am debating if trading for Gronk is something I should pursue. This would be for team in sig. I am having a really hard time deciding his value. I dont typically like to make "win now" moves because I feel like they are usually just as unlikely to hit (especially with Gronks injury history) in any given year compared to future potential.

Would given up Eifert OR Ertz, Njoku and a 2018 2nd (pick 18-20 overall) be in the ballpark? Would it potentially be too much? Or should I just stay put?

Also, this is not something the Gronk owner has mentioned to me, so, I would be going to him. His squad is solid overall. At TE he has Gronk and Hooper, so, he is set up well for now and the future imo.

Need some insight, thanks!!

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Go after Gronk?

Postby jeffster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:50 am

I agree that Gronk is a tough one. His injury history is long and every year just adds to it. That said, TE tends to be a longer lived position, and he's only 28. That, and he's basically a transformational player when healthy.

I would leap at either of those trades you mentioned, but I doubt they get it done. Eifert is barely healthier than Gronk, Ertz is still as much potential as production, and Njoku is a rookie who probably won't emerge for years yet, at best.

Anyway, with a few exceptions, it seems like half the good TEs in the league could be called injury prone. I would definitely buy Gronk, but only if it's at a discount.

AndrewS
Starter
Starter

Postby AndrewS » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 am

Keep what you have...Gronk tends to be too expensive to acquire but it couldn't hurt to try. You didn't list how much he would cost and how long his contract is good for...that information would really help in a salary cap/contract league.
Team 1 - 12 Team Half PPR
Start 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 1 D/ST
Total Starters = 10
Russel Wilson, Eli Manning
Bell, Howard, Hyde, J Williams, Smallwood, A Jones, J Allen, D Washington
M Thomas, B Cooks, D Hopkins, A Jeffery, Meredith, Boyd, Caroo, Smelter, T Benjamin, C Hansen
Ebron, Butt, V McDonald, G Kittle
2018 1, 1, 3, 4 2019 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4

Team 2 - 12 Team Half PPR
Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE, 1 D/ST, 1 K
Total Starters = 10
Brees, Bortles, Goff, Fitzpatrick
D Freeman, L Miller, JStew, CJ Anderson, J Hill, J Williams
TY Hilton, K Allen, A Thielen, Tate, Stills, Hogan, Wheaton, Hansen
Graham, Walker, Z Miller

Team 3 - 12 Team Full PPR
Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 4 FLEX (RB/WR/TE)
Total Starters = 8
A Rodgers
Ingram, Ware, Martin, L Murray, AP, Artis-Payne, Quizz Rodgers, D Lewis, R Jennings, Josh Ferguson
AJ Green, J Landry, D Baldwin, E Decker, J Brown, R Cobb, J Janis, T Smith
J Reed, E Ebron, E Swoope, J Heuerman

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:40 am

I probably wouldn't give that to get Gronk...but Gronk owners probably wouldn't take that either.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:21 am

Goddard wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:40 am I probably wouldn't give that to get Gronk...but Gronk owners probably wouldn't take that either.
You would give Eifert for Gronk straight up? He's missed significantly more games in the last four years than Gronk has, while performing a fraction as well.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:18 am

jeffster wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:21 am
Goddard wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:40 am I probably wouldn't give that to get Gronk...but Gronk owners probably wouldn't take that either.
You would give Eifert for Gronk straight up? He's missed significantly more games in the last four years than Gronk has, while performing a fraction as well.
Is giving Eifert for Gronk an option? I thought it was Eifert/Ertz, Njoku and a 2nd. If you can get Gronk for Eifert alone, I'd do it quickly.

Spongehack
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Spongehack » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 am

I'd easily give up Ertz/Njoku/2nd for Gronk. I highly doubt this is accepted though.
12 Team (2014 Champ, 2016 2nd, 2021 Champ) 1.0 PPR, 1.5 TE, Superflex, Start 9, 1-2 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-3 TE

QB - J. Hurts, M. Stafford, K. Cousins
RB - S. Barkley, D. Cook, E. Elliot, T. Pollard, A. Mattison
WR - D. Adams, DK Metcalf, A. Cooper, C. Ridley, R. Anderson, C. Davis, J. Jones
TE - M. Andrews, G. Kittle, M. Cox

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:01 am

I haven't reached out to the owner...so, I'm not really sure what an option is...im mostly conflicted as to if I want to part with the pieces I've mentioned.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Goddard wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:18 am
Is giving Eifert for Gronk an option? I thought it was Eifert/Ertz, Njoku and a 2nd. If you can get Gronk for Eifert alone, I'd do it quickly.
Oops. Without parentheses to guide me I misjudged the application of the "or" statement.

Well anyway, I would still move Eifert, Njoku and a 2nd for Gronk.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:04 pm

jeffster wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 pm
Goddard wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:18 am

Oops. Without parentheses to guide me I misjudged the application of the "or" statement.

Well anyway, I would still move Eifert, Njoku and a 2nd for Gronk.
Sorry, I can see how that would be confusing bow that I read it again.