Derrick Henry Thread - Is he still King Henry post injury?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Derrick Henry - Why the Hate?

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sat May 21, 2016 8:38 am

Bigfun71 wrote:I read somewhere that Henry is a very good pass catcher, that he worked on it as part of his routine (including deep routes with over the shoulder catches). He lined up at wr and ran routes and caught everything. He takes pride in his receiving skills and caught every ball at his Pro day. that was enough for me to take him at 1.07. I will have to search for the tape (I believe it was Charles Davis from NFL network that was dropping tidbits on things that people knew very little about with Henry. Mostly bc they just didn't give him the opportunity in college to do it.)
I cant wait to see him against the 4th quarter of tired defense trying to tackle (exotic smashmouth)this behemoth. He may put 60-80 on the final drive and score the goal line td quite often to seal a victory. Makes it fun to watch defenders make "business decsions" and try and think of creative ways to tackle him......please let me see a db try to shoulder him down LOL

Heres a NFL network article:
ALA PRO-DAY
Running back Derrick Henry -- 6-foot-2 1/2, 244 pounds -- got some extra credit for stepping in as a receiver because the event didn't have enough wide receivers. The scouts on hand were ecstatic over how well the 2015 Heisman Trophy winner caught the ball. Henry stepped in and showed that he has real good route-running ability, and that is just another skill that he possesses that people didn't realize that he was so good at. Henry really helped himself out at the pro day.
http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Derri ... y-44172654
Guess we haven't really thought about Murray and Henry being on the field at the same time. Imagine Murray in the backfield and 6'2 Henry split out wide to either distract the defensive or catch a screen pass.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat May 21, 2016 8:55 am

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... r-football

This article does a decent job of explaining why the Titans took Henry (and suggests a slight return to relevance of the RB based on teams building smaller / faster defences susceptible to power running attacks).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Bigfun71
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Bigfun71 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:13 am

Intersting read.
Sounds like they plan a 50-50 split with Henry/Murray
So 60-plays game with 60% run plays calls (smashmouth football.) equates to 576 carries next yr.
250 Murray
250 Henry
76 btw qb scrambles and maybe Cobb/McCluster/end around wr plays sprinkled in here or there.
250 at say 4.5yds per carry is 1125 yds maybe another 250- 300 on 35 recs. and a bunch of goal line looks should net him 12-15 tds
that aint bad for a "backup" ....Now if Murray get s dinged up, sky is the limit for Henry.
Is this wishful thinking? Yes, but its also doable too with his talent.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sat May 21, 2016 6:51 pm

Cameron Giles wrote:
a_yeti wrote: It isn't about him being sluggish. I think you are entirely missing the point. He is obviously going through the drill half speed or less. It's him tripping over his own feet and looking extremely stiff and top-heavy. Even the joke about the hot dogs, come on now, it's the NFL. This isn't pop warner. While a joke, it cheapens the whole discussion. If we're on that level we might as well just go play NFL Blitz and analyze that and call it a day with any analysis of the real NFL.
You should read the Waldman article or re-watch some of Henry's games. I'm a big critic of him as well, but that drill really says nothing.
I read the article. I also played college football. It isn't just the drill. It isn't 40 times. Or agility. Or any other magic moment, number, or formula that equals success or failure. Real analysts as well as us need to read between the lines.

I see a player that is top heavy and has long skinny legs (relative for his weight and position) who struggles with lateral movement. The drill seemed to highlight those attributes which I already felt existed. I said, "He is obviously going through the drill half speed or less," quite simply, drills get messed up all the time. I am more concerned with the video seeming to highlight weaknesses that I and others already felt existed. It isn't messing up the pattern, it's looking top-heavy and tripping over his own feet, and struggling to make the jumps (and just generally looking unathletic and flabbergasted). The clip doesn't prove anything, it just shows an area I already believed he was deficient in (once again, relatively speaking).

Yes, the article has clips of him making cuts and moving laterally. If you put together similar clips you can do that for every decent NFL bound back and most smaller backs would make it a lot easier on you to compile the clips. You don't win the Heisman without being a great football player, that goes without saying. It isn't that he isn't agile or can't move laterally, it's just whether he can translate those components well enough against NFL competition. Once again, the article being about why there is "hate" on Henry, these are some reasons. Also, like I said, a person could do much worse with a mid-first as the potential ceiling if he can translate is much higher than other players available at those slots. I'd pick him with a mid-first, even in light of everything I have said on here.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Adidas95
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Derrick Henry

Postby Adidas95 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Seems like there's a lot of hype surrounding Henry, especially for 2018. Do you guys think the hype is real? I see him polled vastly superior to backs like Kareem Hunt even though both were drafted similarly in their rookie drafts. Do you guys think he's the best guy to target from the 2016 class?

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: Derrick Henry

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:38 pm

I think the hype is warranted. Henry is a similar level NFL prospect to guys like Cook and Mixon, and he has a better situation than any of the top rookie RBs if Murray is out of the way. Murray has $0 guaranteed of his remaining 2 years/$13m after this season, and a ton of carries in his career. I think there is a better than 50% chance Henry enters next year as the starter, and an outside shot that Murray gets hurt or sees his performance fall off a cliff this year. With his measurables, past running success, and the line in front of him, it is gonna be fun to watch him as the starter.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:53 am

Henry was really good last season and could've been a lot better. That's the scary part. The only thing that held him back was DeMarco Murray playing like a Top-5 RB.

Henry will get his chance in the future. It may not be next season, but if Murray has to miss any extended time, Henry is going to put up big numbers.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:31 am

Had Henry been the pick by the Cowboys last year instead of Zeke, he would have been the 1.01 pick and we'd be talking about him among the top 3 backs in the league right now.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:24 am

skip wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:31 am Had Henry been the pick by the Cowboys last year instead of Zeke, he would have been the 1.01 pick and we'd be talking about him among the top 3 backs in the league right now.
That's the thing. With Conklin looking like a stud RT, the situation is about as good as Dallas if he ever gets full control of that backfield. Henry isn't the complete player Zeke is, but he is on the same level as a runner.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:52 am

I think if you don't buy him now, you won't be able to afford him this time next year.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 am

I hate betting on injuries, but DeMarco is like a Sam Bradford to me in that I would be really surprised to see him make it through two consecutive seasons w/o missing significant time. I think Henry hits the ground running when he gets that chance, pun intended. Good line + rising offense+ good at the goal line= fantasy points galore.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:18 pm

The risk to me with Henry is that he looked good because he was behind a good O-line and that line won't be good anymore by the time he takes over. He seems like the kind of guy that needs a good line to let him get a head of steam.

It's also interesting how highly people think of how he ran last year. He was a part-time back playing against tired defenses that ran for 4.5ypc, roughly the same as the starter. Normally when a backup RB gets a lot of hype it's because he's banging away 5+ ypc well above what the starter does, as should be expected from the CoP guy playing against tired legs.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

RestoreTheRoar
Rookie
Rookie

Postby RestoreTheRoar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm

I really have no idea how to value him. His June ADP is RB14. Right behind CMC, McCoy & Cook. Right ahead of Murray, Crowell, Miller. I guess that feels about right. But then you look at all players and there's a lot of non-RBs I like a lot more for that price. Henry is at 43 but surrounded by DT (38), Crowder (44), Martavis (51), Parker (52), Tate (56), etc.

I know contract isn't guaranteed but what if Murray does play 2 more years? He didn't really show any signs of wearing down last year. Passing game only going to get better and will take some workload off. Henry is bound to probably eat into his workload too allowing Murray to maybe play a little longer as well.

I just worry that you could be paying fringe RB1 prices right now for a guy who may not start until 2019. Obviously things can go the other way but I think I'm okay missing on him at that price.
12 Team 0.5 PPR. 25 man roster. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex.
QB - Russell Wilson, Matt Stafford
RB - Leondard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, Jamaal Williams, Chris Carson, CJ Prosise
WR - Keenan Allen, Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Mike Williams, Kenny Golladay, Chirs Godwin, Keelan Cole, Quincy Enunwa
TE - Zach Ertz, Eric Ebron, Austin Seferian-Jenkins

2018 Picks - 1.01, 2.04

16 Team 0.5 PPR. 20 man roster. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex.
QB - Marcus Mariota, Trevor Siemian
RB - Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, Jamaal Williams, Alex Collins
WR - AJ Green, TY Hilton, Donte Moncrief, Davante Adams, Will Fuller, Malcolm Mitchell, Kenny Golladay
TE - Austin Hooper, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, George Kittle

2018 Picks - None

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Vcize wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:18 pm The risk to me with Henry is that he looked good because he was behind a good O-line and that line won't be good anymore by the time he takes over.
Why would the offensive line suddenly become bad? Conklin isn't going anywhere, Lewan is under contract two more years and Jones is under contract for a while too. Tennessee's going to keep investing in their line because they want to run heavy and protect Mariota. It shouldn't be a concern.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Vcize wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:18 pm The risk to me with Henry is that he looked good because he was behind a good O-line and that line won't be good anymore by the time he takes over. He seems like the kind of guy that needs a good line to let him get a head of steam.
Taylor Lewan is 25, has 2 years left on his rookie contract, and will be a prime candidate for getting an extension next year. Jack Conklin is 22 and has 4 years left on his rookie contract. Ben Jones is 27 and has 3 years left on his contract. Titans line should be good for awhile. Plus, we are talking about a high draft pick and a record holding RB at the NCAA and HS level. He has looked good anytime he has run in his career. Sure it was always good lines in college and pros, but he can only control what he can control.
RestoreTheRoar wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm I know contract isn't guaranteed but what if Murray does play 2 more years? He didn't really show any signs of wearing down last year. Passing game only going to get better and will take some workload off. Henry is bound to probably eat into his workload too allowing Murray to maybe play a little longer as well.
Murray averaged 4.87 YPC over the first 10 games and 3.5 over the last 6 games (102 carries in those 6). I think he did show some signs of wearing down (Henry was 4.96 YPC on 48 carries in 5 of those 6 games- he missed the game @Indy). Plus, backs with Murray's carry total tend to completely fall off of a cliff when they do wear down. Maybe it doesn't happen this season and they keep him going into next, but I would be quite surprised to see a guy with his style and carries being effective past 30.
RestoreTheRoar wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm I just worry that you could be paying fringe RB1 prices right now for a guy who may not start until 2019.
But aren't people doing the same with Cook and Mixon? Those guys went 41 and 48 in this year's draft and also go into crowded backfields. Henry went 45 last year to a team that didn't need him and, unlike the other 2, the line in front of him isn't bad.