Zero Trade Dynasty Strategy?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Zero Trade Dynasty Strategy?

Postby zounder » Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:24 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm Most rookie picks will bust. So, you're now tasking someone with hitting on the majority of their picks each year to stay relevant.
Kind of like...the NFL?

Remove the Sashi Browns from the equation and non-draft day trades are, relative to other professional sports, vanishingly rare.
There are a ton of draft-day trades in the NFL, and the NFL has free agency whereas (most) FF dynasty leagues don't. Regardless of the topic, comparing fantasy leagues to the actual NFL is usually a losing battle.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed May 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Zounder wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm Most rookie picks will bust. So, you're now tasking someone with hitting on the majority of their picks each year to stay relevant.
Kind of like...the NFL?

Remove the Sashi Browns from the equation and non-draft day trades are, relative to other professional sports, vanishingly rare.
There are a ton of draft-day trades in the NFL, and the NFL has free agency whereas (most) FF dynasty leagues don't. Regardless of the topic, comparing fantasy leagues to the actual NFL is usually a losing battle.
Most leagues do have free agency, actually. It's called waiver claims. No trades doesn't mean no waivers.
I agree comparing fantasy to the actual NFL is usually a losing battle, but I believe his point was, good teams come and go in the NFL and there's nothing wrong with that. Some teams have a stretch of dominance, and some have a stretch of horrid play. That happens in fantasy as well, but there is an overall parity that both can aim for. Good seasons come and go. NFL teams can try their best to build a playoff team every year but it won't always happen. In fantasy, a lot of leagues will see a team or two in the playoffs EVERY YEAR as an absolute powerhouse. That wouldn't be occurring so often without numerous lopsided trades, thus more parity.
Can a team still be more successful by getting lucky with stumbling into a late round gem? Sure. It happens in the NFL as well, with guys like AB, or hell, Brady, being an unexpected star.
I think that is what GoIrish was getting at, which I think is a fair comparison.

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Wed May 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Kind of like...the NFL?

Most leagues do have free agency, actually. It's called waiver claims.
But players like Jeffery/Pryor/Miller/etc. will not be available on waivers in fantasy, so the opportunity available to improve your team is much higher in the NFL through free agency than in fantasy through waivers, and if you take away trades, that goes for overall opportunity as well. That's why I don't think it's a good comparison.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Zounder wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:25 pm
Valhalla wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Most leagues do have free agency, actually. It's called waiver claims.
But players like Jeffery/Pryor/Miller/etc. will not be available on waivers in fantasy, so the opportunity available to improve your team is much higher in the NFL through free agency than in fantasy through waivers, and if you take away trades, that goes for overall opportunity as well. That's why I don't think it's a good comparison.
Pryor WAS available on waivers in most leagues, actually. Also off the top of my head from last year alone we have Dak, Tyrell, Meredith, Montgomery, thielen, jacquizz, Kelley. I'm sure I am missing quite a few. That isn't an abberation, at all.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:24 am Kind of like...the NFL?

Your point would only be valid in a contract league.

Hitting on waivers requires less luck than hitting on draft picks, but it's still built on three factors:

1. Injuries - Opens up opportunity
2. Anticipation - Planning ahead of time to get players
3. Spending - Spending early or late if you need to

If you can anticipate the right players getting injured and spend on them before anyone else does, you will have a huge leg up. But, it's easier said than done. There are plenty of owners who stash backups all season, then have to drop them for legitimate reasons, only to see them gain that opportunity a week later.

Ty Montgomery was probably on some waiver wires, then he turned into a PPR dynamo late in the season. That Chicago game likely helped someone win a championship.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 31, 2017 4:29 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm Pryor WAS available on waivers in most leagues, actually. Also off the top of my head from last year alone we have Dak, Tyrell, Meredith, Montgomery, thielen, jacquizz, Kelley. I'm sure I am missing quite a few. That isn't an abberation, at all.
If you have the room to roster all those players at the right time, you're a genius. It's easier said than done though.

Terrelle Pryor had been in the NFL for five years and amounted to nothing until last season. There's no way a player like that can survive roster cuts unless your league has really deep rosters. Jacquizz Rodgers hasn't been fantasy relevant in a long, long time.

It's not a strategy you can confidently bank on.

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Wed May 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pmPryor WAS available on waivers in most leagues, actually. Also off the top of my head from last year alone we have Dak, Tyrell, Meredith, Montgomery, thielen, jacquizz, Kelley. I'm sure I am missing quite a few. That isn't an abberation, at all.
Pryor wasn't available on waivers when he was an NFL free agent is what I meant. My point was the pool of FAs is way higher in the NFL than in fantasy, with the possible exception of very shallow leagues. For example, this offseason, NFL teams, who don't trade often outside the draft, still had the option of acquiring a player like Pryor/Jeffery in free agency to improve their team. If you were in a dynasty league that didn't allow trades, you would -not- have that option. Therefore, it's not a great comparison.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Zounder wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 pm There are a ton of draft-day trades in the NFL, and the NFL has free agency whereas (most) FF dynasty leagues don't. Regardless of the topic, comparing fantasy leagues to the actual NFL is usually a losing battle.
Tha's why i specifically used the word "non" in front of the words "draft day trades!"
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:43 pm
Zounder wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 pm There are a ton of draft-day trades in the NFL, and the NFL has free agency whereas (most) FF dynasty leagues don't. Regardless of the topic, comparing fantasy leagues to the actual NFL is usually a losing battle.
Tha's why i specifically used the word "non" in front of the words "draft day trades!"
Right, and my point was that by excluding draft day trades, you're excluding a lot of trades. The fact remains, NFL trades are frequent. They just happen to mostly fall on the same weekend.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Zounder wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:48 pm
Goirish374 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:43 pm
Right, and my point was that by excluding draft day trades, you're excluding a lot of trades. The fact remains, NFL trades are frequent. They just happen to mostly fall on the same weekend.
i got your point, and i think i see the misunderstanding--i was working from the assumption that a "no trade league" would not apply to maneuvering within the drafts, only to mid-season or player trades. so, to my mind, the draft day trading was a similarity between the format and the NFL, not a difference.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:39 pm i got your point, and i think i see the misunderstanding--i was working from the assumption that a "no trade league" would not apply to maneuvering within the drafts, only to mid-season or player trades. so, to my mind, the draft day trading was a similarity between the format and the NFL, not a difference.
Aha, I was assuming no trades allowed at all. I do agree that, in most leagues at least, a large percentage of trades fall during the draft. If those were allowed, then that would definitely be a different story.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

Day Man
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Day Man » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:08 pm

BORING
.5 PPR - 12 team keeper league- 2 FLEX

QB- Phillip Rivers, Carson Wentz
RB- David Johnson, Zeke, Marshawn Lynch, Isaiah Crowell
WR- Sammy Watkins, OBJ, Alshon Jeffery, Devin Funchess, Malcolm Mitchell, Treadwell
TE- Travis Kelce, Coby Fleener, Jack Doyle
DEF- Carolina
K- Justin Tucker

2018-3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5
2019- 2,3,4,5,6