Suspect rankings....

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Suspect rankings....

Postby Valhalla » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:14 pm

TmoGuru wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:06 pm Sooooo your opinion on K. White ranked at 39 is?
My opinion is that it's too high. I believe people are still dreaming about the incredible metrics of the kid and the Julio Jones type dominant performance at the combine. People don't want to let go of that, and it props his value. I think there's too much of his stock tied into combine numbers, but I acknowledge that this is just a point of view. Others assess players weighting more of it into their combine metrics (which is fine) and will not write a guy off as quickly if he's getting injured and losing opportunity (which is also fine). I disagree, but I'm actually happy that there is a wide spectrum of beliefs on so many players. As I said in another thread just 10 minutes ago, this game would be very dull if we all held the same beliefs and strategies.

TmoGuru
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TmoGuru » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:12 pm Probably different from yours and, simultaneously, irrelevant.

My opinion (or, for that matter, yours) doesn't make the rankings suspect.

If anything, it should trigger excitement and opportunity in you. If the ranker has kevin white in a much different place than you do then it stands to reason someone in your league has Kevin white in a much different place than you do.

This is opportunity. This is a difference in value than can be tactically exploited.
So instead of commenting to the relevance of what the post is about which is giving your thoughts on K. White rankings you prefer to spend your time saying your opinion is irrelevant... :think: Thanks for your wisdom!

HEADBANGER
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby HEADBANGER » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:25 pm

TmoGuru wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:29 am How is Kevin White ranked 39th for Wrs? I had a owner offer me a trade involving him saying he is worth a late 1st rd pick??? I dont get it... Maybe I am missing something so some of your thoughts more then welcome.

Two years ago White was drafted in the 1.3 to 1.4 range by dynasty owners. He goes about 6'3" and is 215 pounds which is prototypical size for a WR1. He blazed his 40 times with one elite year of college production. Those owners that drafted him still have a higher value on him then the person that does not. Chicago drafted him #7 overall, most wide receivers that go that high are successful NFL players.

This is what I think is why he is being valued so high, to be honest not sure why you do not see that. Also depends what direction players are going in as to their current, or perceived value. He's done next to nothing in 2 injury filled years so his value has clearly dropped. He will be 25 years this season and the hope is he will be healthy. Alshon has moved on so his value should start going back up.
FF Player for 32 years, dynasty for the last 10 years.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Guys over at UTH call it age insulation .. they've noticed that pedigree picks hold value for much longer then other assets (even if the player is looking like a bust, you often have time to get out of the position) .. A guy like K White is still holding decent value with poor production because of his draft pedigree and athletic profile. Its a known phenomena ...

If someone drafted K White with the 1.03 odds are he is hoping he turns out to be the player he drafted that highly. If he is giving up hope there is still a market to sell him being ranked 39th overall because other owners are willing to risk it, again due to his draft pedigree and athletic profile ...
@PlankMelody

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Yeah, my take on your subject line and the first several replies was that you were less interested in a legitimate exchange of ideas than in raging.

If the deal is that i misread those replies and the subject line of this thread then, fair enough, that's my mistake for not recognizing a request for discussion and understanding on the value of Kevin white.

It seems that at least two posters have laid out thoughts on why White's value is where it is. I don't have much to add to their thoughts as I believe they are comprehensive.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2023 Champ: Benny Blanco
2022 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj (again!)
2021 Champ: ZShultz
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:31 pm

WR39 is a fringe WR3 in most leagues? I don't think that's outlandish. Flex-worthy option. Let's see how he does if he can string together a few games without any injuries. And also with a decent QB. Not enough tape yet to declare either way on him.

I wouldn't pay a 1st for him but if I owned, I wouldn't accept a 2nd so late 1st-high 2nd is the negotiating window.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 pm

TmoGuru wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 am
So a guy with a rod in his shine and broken leg? Looked terrible in the short time he did play is worth a mid to late 1st? You take White over any of the players you listed above? Crowder has been great both years in the league! I still dont get it.... I would have White in the 65-80 range. As far as picks no better then a late 2!
Trying to devalue a player that you are trying to acquire, genius....
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:44 pm

HEADBANGER and Plank hit it on the head with their replies.

Some owners still believe Kevin White is not only too talented, but that he has been too unlucky so far in his career to be chalked up as a complete disappointment and a high first round (both IRL and fantasy) bust. So they are holding on and value him higher than the rest of us. I wouldn't rank him as my WR39. I'd take Meredith (granted, as a Bears fan I loOoOoOove Cam), or Snead, or Crowder ahead of him all day everyday. I'd take Thielen ahead of him, as well. I don't love Kenny Stills as a fantasy player but I'd even take Stills ahead of White, dude had 9 TD's last season and is just 2 months older than White.

TL;DR: If you own White, find who is a truther in your league and cash out since you are lower on him than others.
#FreeCoreyDavis

Death_From_Above
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Death_From_Above » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:35 pm

TmoGuru wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:16 pm
Goirish374 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:12 pm Probably different from yours and, simultaneously, irrelevant.

My opinion (or, for that matter, yours) doesn't make the rankings suspect.

If anything, it should trigger excitement and opportunity in you. If the ranker has kevin white in a much different place than you do then it stands to reason someone in your league has Kevin white in a much different place than you do.

This is opportunity. This is a difference in value than can be tactically exploited.
So instead of commenting to the relevance of what the post is about which is giving your thoughts on K. White rankings you prefer to spend your time saying your opinion is irrelevant... :think: Thanks for your wisdom!
This wisdom is worth far more than him just telling you which side of the fence he is on in reference to White's ADP value. You would gain from reading and re-reading it cause Irish is preaching here. good stuff irish.

TheChicken
Captain
Captain

Postby TheChicken » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Minimal NFL action to be your WR3 ... Not for me in a start up draft or redraft for that matter. But then White wouldn't be near my starting line up if i acquired him. I have a couple of 1.12s that i could trade for White and obviously still have the team that won a title. That is why valuations can be so disparate, team situation is key and no ranking list can take that into account.
99 problems but your 10 team league ain't one!

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:19 pm

It's reasons like these that I have always stayed to my own personal rankings and never use somebody else's cheat sheet, "expert" or not. ADP I rarely use unless I am trying to hold out a round or two for a sleeper type I like. I have no issue with where people value players in comparison to me, as everybody has their own way of thinking. So many different types of people and opinion that it is pointless to justify. Heck certain people draft based off teams they like and dislike. Nothing wrong with it. As to K. white, I am very low on him and was from the get go.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

crisdecamposmd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby crisdecamposmd » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 pm

TmoGuru wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:29 am How is Kevin White ranked 39th for Wrs? I had a owner offer me a trade involving him saying he is worth a late 1st rd pick??? I dont get it... Maybe I am missing something so some of your thoughts more then welcome.
Hype.

My WRs:
- AJ Green
- Tyrell Williams
- Cam Meredith
- Quincy Enunwa
- Kamar Aiken
- Jordan Matthews
- Cordarrelle Patterson
- Josh Doctson
- Brian Quick
- Marquise Lee
- Eli Rogers
- Kenny Stills
- Chris Conley
- Jaron Brown
- Brice Butler

.... Yes, really.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:34 pm

According to rankings and adp, he is roughly worth 1.6. If your a believer....a late 1st is a bargain.

I've never been real high on white, but I've bought him for a few teams. ...haven't paid near the 1.6 though.

TmoGuru
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TmoGuru » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Coogan Football wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 pm
TmoGuru wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 am
So a guy with a rod in his shine and broken leg? Looked terrible in the short time he did play is worth a mid to late 1st? You take White over any of the players you listed above? Crowder has been great both years in the league! I still dont get it.... I would have White in the 65-80 range. As far as picks no better then a late 2!
Trying to devalue a player that you are trying to acquire, genius....
Where in any of these comments did you get I am trying to acquire K. White?

Westy22
Captain
Captain

Postby Westy22 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 pm

I think White's value is in the 2nd round this year. Just can't see him being worth a 1st still in any format.