GEDL Rookie Draft 2017

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

GEDL Rookie Draft 2017

Postby MARKinMI » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:26 am

Its that time of the year again when I'm starting to get PM's asking me when the draft is. So to answer in a way everyone can see it... This year's GEDL Rookie draft begins April 15th.

For those of you aren't familiar with this league or it's draft I'll give you some backstory. This league holds a 98 pick NON IDP rookie draft two weeks before the actual NFL draft. It has long been a popular thread here on the forum for the last 5 years or so. Its a way for you guys with Early May drafts to gauge how these players are being looked at by a real league of 14 experienced owners who play for money. No BS fake ADP/mock draft where people can draft crazy with no repercussion.

Here's the link to the draft report: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... 17349&O=17

You guys can follow along and comment if you wish. We just ask that you not discuss players until after they have been drafted. This is a 98 player draft and we go way off the MFL board drafting players who aren't even in MFL's database yet. We do allow veterans to be drafted but our waiver wire is pretty baron so we don't see many of those.

If you'd like to familiarize yourself with our previous drafts you can find last year's thread here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=118622&hilit=gedl+rookie+draft+2016

you should be able to find each previous years draft from there. Just do me a favor don't look at my picks lol... I'm fairly certain I've whiffed on every first round pick I've made in this leagues history... Patterson, cody Lattimer, Carroo, DGB, John Franklin... Basically You should know who to avoid by looking at who the West Michigan Machine Drafts... We'll call it my gift to you.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: GEDL Rookie Draft 2017

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 am

thanks mark . I always look forward to this each year.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:53 am

What he said. And eventually we will forgive you for killing Leonte Carroos mojo by taking him 1.06. :evil: :evil: :mrgreen:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 am

Mark you nailed 4.04 last year though.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:42 am

Neight wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 am Mark you nailed 4.04 last year though.
Yeah I do ok once i get out of the 1st... But holy cow... I really botch those 1st rounders... People are amazed that i contend every year even though i screw up every premium pick.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 am

Outstanding!

Now i can stop harassing Mark to talk about this in his other threads.

I have begun pursuing pre-nfl draft rookie drafts aggressively. One of the primary movers for me has been, in years past, the comments and testimony of the members *who are in this league* in these annual threads. Anyone can discuss the theoretical advantages and disadvantages of a system (in this case, drafting before the nfl draft) but to see the passionate testimonials of the people actually in the league, doing this year-in and year-out is a trumping argument for me.

This is a mid-April highlight of the dynasty calendar, for me. Thank you!
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Yes I enjoy it also ... :)
@PlankMelody

HEADBANGER
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby HEADBANGER » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:29 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:53 am What he said. And eventually we will forgive you for killing Leonte Carroos mojo by taking him 1.06. :evil: :evil: :mrgreen:
They drafted BEFORE landing spot, he was in the top 5 talk at some points. When Miami drafted him his draft slot and value fell like a rock.
FF Player for 32 years, dynasty for the last 10 years.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 am Outstanding!

Now i can stop harassing Mark to talk about this in his other threads.

I have begun pursuing pre-nfl draft rookie drafts aggressively. One of the primary movers for me has been, in years past, the comments and testimony of the members *who are in this league* in these annual threads. Anyone can discuss the theoretical advantages and disadvantages of a system (in this case, drafting before the nfl draft) but to see the passionate testimonials of the people actually in the league, doing this year-in and year-out is a trumping argument for me.

This is a mid-April highlight of the dynasty calendar, for me. Thank you!
100% this > taking a vote in one of my leagues to to do exactly this , I have a few guys on board and just need to make it pretty clear that it is what the league needs to do without absolutely dictating the policy . Hopefully the men get on board and I don't have to shelve the idea or replace many owners.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Its awesome to see that our drafts/these DLF threads every year are persuading some of you to bring this rookie draft format into your own leagues. Its not something I'd want ALL my leagues to do, but its a thrill experiencing it in this league once a year. Really gets you involved in the NFL draft, even more than usual, and gives you rooting interests. Are some of the picks/landing spots lucky or unlucky? Yeah, but that's part of the fun and its a real challenge to dig almost 100 skill players deep before the NFL even drafts at all.

Pumped that its almost that time again. I'm always active in these threads to explain rationale for picks, for trades, etc. with anyone on DLF who is interested in chatting. So keep your eye on this thread if you're interested in following along.

I'd also recommend going back through and reading the old threads to get context on the league and see how some of the past drafts played out. Takes about 5-10 minutes for each old thread at most and is a fun read-through. Crazy how much changes from year to year and how confident we all are in our picks as they happen, but that's part of the fun.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:37 pm

Yeah, this is one of those concepts, along with IDP, that just leave me cold. But I will enjoy watching this draft.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm

So as for my team, I'm the Connecticut Invaders. If you read or remember last years GEDL draft thread here on DLF, you'll remember that I started 2016 with the 1.01 (Zeke) and some mid/late 1sts that I dealt for a boatload of 2017 picks because I was more comfortable with that class and was in the middle of a full rebuild anyways. I obviously hit the jackpot with Zeke going #4 to the Cowboys after I drafted him but he was the easy chalk pick so I can't really take credit for that.

Anyways, propelled by Zeke, my young WR's and the emergence of Pryor and Mariota as good fantasy options, I had a surprisingly strong year. Missed out on the playoffs by one game I believe, or a tiebreaker. But that ended up working out better because that one game difference meant I ended up with the 1.05 this year rather than a late playoff 1st.

So I went into this offseason owning:

Bunch of late picks from rounds 3-7.

As per usual, even really liking this class I couldn't resist trading them to round out my roster and really make a win-now push. The vets I got have some warts but with my roster so close to contention and some of the top teams falling off (imo), I thought it was my time to go all-in and not take the risk on drafting these hyped rookies, not take the risk that they fall and/or land somewhere shitty and ruin my plan (like what happened to Mark last year with Carroo). So I'm sure I'll try to make some trades for higher draft picks, but right now I'm slated to miss out on the fun of making the early picks. Which I'm bummed about, but what can you do.

The deals I made were simple.

Gave 1.05, 2.05 for Keenan Allen
Gave 1.03, 1.12, 2.09 for Todd Gurley
Gave 2.12, 2x 2018 2nds, Rishard Matthews for Michael Crabtree

So going into the draft I'm out of the first couple rounds unfortunately but my roster has grown a lot since I earned the 1.01 last year:

14 teams, PPR, flex-heavy, only start 7 players.
QB: Mariota
RB: Zeke, Gurley
WR: Evans, Keenan, Diggs, Crabtree, Pryor
TE: Henry

I'll be trying to trade in with some of my other pieces though, and future picks. So we'll see what happens.
Last edited by ConnSKINS26 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:37 pm Yeah, this is one of those concepts, along with IDP, that just leave me cold. But I will enjoy watching this draft.
Its definitely not for everybody. Like I said, I wouldn't want all my leagues to draft like this and I wouldn't go too high stakes in this format. But for the $$ we play for ($35-40 buy-in I believe) and the experience it provides, the draft alone is worth it. The rest of the season is just icing on the cake. We only started this league specifically to build it around this early draft concept, so everyone knew what they were getting into and we see very little turnover compared to your average dynasty league.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:03 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:40 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:37 pm Yeah, this is one of those concepts, along with IDP, that just leave me cold. But I will enjoy watching this draft.
Its definitely not for everybody. Like I said, I wouldn't want all my leagues to draft like this and I wouldn't go too high stakes in this format. But for the $$ we play for ($35-40 buy-in I believe) and the experience it provides, the draft alone is worth it. The rest of the season is just icing on the cake. We only started this league specifically to build it around this early draft concept, so everyone knew what they were getting into and we see very little turnover compared to your average dynasty league.
yeah not once in 5 years have we had an owner mention changing the draft format. The great thing about this league is that if i do have an opening I've been able to fill it quickly and successfully from people who have shown interest in these draft threads over the years. I'd recommend that every owner play in one league that drafts like this. On one hand It can be frustrating and on the other it can be sheer elation. For every rookie that goes to a bad landing spot there are typically multiple players that are drafted later on who go to great situations. I love 2nd and 3rd round picks in this format. It forces dynasty owners to know the incoming rookie class. You can't just watch the NFL draft and see who goes where and then pick your guys. You gotta scout (hopefully better than me) and you have to know what these players are worth to you compared to Vets. We see way more trades in this format than any other i play in. Just look at how the picks are jumbled up right now. I'm not sure any team has their normal allotment of picks.