Stefon Diggs Thread: Traded to Buffalo!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Stefon Diggs

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm

I'm not going to compare anyone to Brown, because I think he is the ultimate outlier of WR's. The Tom Brady of WR's.

But if anything Minnesota's situation explains how good Diggs has become. He literally worked up from the bottom of the depth chart. Minnesota's game plan was never to funnel the ball to any particular WR. They spread the ball out, manage tempo and only take big play chances when it's convenient. Diggs has pretty much flipped that strategy on it's head because of his route running, separation skills, hands and overall versatility.

I don't think we can assume that any comparable young WR would be putting up similar production in the same circumstances. What he's doing skill-wise is really special. He's on pace to record a 100+ yard reception, 1200+ yard season as a 2nd year player. Change his draft pedigree to "1st round pick" and people would be asking if he's worth 2-3 first round picks.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Sure...same with Ajayi....but they aren't and no one is buying if that is what is asked
Anyway probably why I don't own him anywhere...cost prohibitive although there was a point in the offseason I considered it. However Bradford is a savvy QB and knows Diggs can help them succeed so he funnels the ball even if it isn't the plan. the QB trust is why everyone can dump all over KB but it won't change that Cam trusts him to make the play and he will be CAR WR1 until Cam trusts someone more.
Just how long is Bradford there and when does MIN get that defense back? Dominant early on and now not at all...as long as MIN is throwing to Diggs they are losing games so I question the long and short term return on an early-mid 1st. I am betting that defense is better than recent games and there might be a buy lower opportunity coming
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Ajayi isn't really a good reference. He just started showing something this season. Diggs flashed last year and was 2nd in rookie receiving yards. His value dropped because many assumed Treadwell would prance into the offense and make Diggs useless.

You're relying on a lot of the situation for your value. I could understand if it was fluky production, or an insane amount of volume with very little substance, but it's not. It's a player who's showing special ability and breaking out in a huge way. Bradford is funneling to him because he's consistently open and winning against his matchups. Some of the routes he ran against Washington last Sunday were flat out ridiculous.

Regardless of them getting a run game with AP back at some point (or a new RB) or their defense getting back to early season levels, Diggs is likely going to be a significant part of their offense.

amazehayes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby amazehayes » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:20 pm

Shcritters wrote:Amazehayes, just providing a second perspective...

You think a player who is in his second year, is currently 22nd in PPR scoring (including one game missed and on in which he played injured), and is 10th on a 'points per game played' is 'an iffy WR3 or bye week fill-in'? I don't think he is a WR1, but your valuation is a little low IMO.
Yes and I'll tell you why. Look at his game log. His two best performance of the year were the past two weeks but who did they play? Detroit and Washington who are subpar defenses so I would expect the number one receiver to torch them, albeit great performances. His three worst games were to Giants, panthers and the eagles. Panthers defense is god awful this year but he only had 4 catches 40 yards. Giants are ok secondary not great but ok 5 catches 47 yards. At the rate he's going he's their only receiver there so defenses are going to hone in on him to shut him down. They don't have a rush attack that's remotely threatening to high school teams. So now project this into next year. Assume AP does not resign, there's a qb battle between Bridgewater (if he plays again) and Bradford so I'd expect it to be Bradford. Now there WR situation is interesting. Now you give Treadwell another year to develop in that offense and you have Thielen who's look pretty good this year too. Their problem is no offensive line if they fix that he can be a solid WR2 with WR1 ceiling in PPR leagues based on matchup.

Moncrief, when healthy, has been consistent this year minus one game to the Broncos but no receiver does well against the broncos. In my opinion he's a WR2 because of the high volume he's getting every week and the rapport he's acquiring with Luck, especially in the red zone. He's not their number 1 but he plays like it some games because of Hiltons vertical abilities. Projecting this down the road, Luck will be there and he will be throwing the ball A LOT and the presence of a run game if they draft a RB this year will only make that better.

Thomas is interesting now because again like Moncrief is in a pass heavy offense with a decent rush attack to keep the defense in check. He's also not their number 1 but is making a case for it with Cooks proving to be less and less of a legit WR1 and more of a vertical runner and Snead working out a few kinks as well. In any given game any of those receivers can produce huge numbers or bust so the variability is there but look at his game log. He's currently the WR18 to Diggs 13 in PPR. he's only produced two games all year where he's scored less than 10 points, one was a nine point effort against the Giants and the other was last week against our favorite defense the Broncos. But look what he's done. Thomas is an excellent receiver he's bigger than Diggs and in my opinion is a better overall player for only being a rookie. He works the slot and the outside well and obviously has Drew Brees' trust.

In my opinion I'd want thomas and Moncrief over Diggs because of the QB dependency and trust that's already established. Projecting forward I think both will be better WRs then Diggs now and I don't like Diggs going forward the rest of the year WR3 or WR2 based on matchup.

sjcourtney56
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sjcourtney56 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:00 am

Not even getting into the rest of your argument here but Diggs isnt even a WR3 moving forward this season due to his matchups??? So the Lions against whom he had 13 catches...the Cowboys and their 21st ranked pass defense...the colts (c'mon)....the packers against whom he had 9 catches for 180...and the bears against whom he had 8 catches for 76 and a td....You can dislike Diggs all you want but to say that he isnt a WR3 for the rest of this season is a Skip Bayless level hot take.
Team:
QB = Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
RB = Todd Gurley, Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, James Robinson Lemical Perine
WR = Michael Thomas, Stefon Diggs, Mike Evans, JuJu Smith-Schuster, AJ Brown, CeeDee Lamb, N'Keal Harry, Sammy Watkins,
TE = OJ Howard, Mark Andrews, Ian Thomas, Eric Ebron

amazehayes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby amazehayes » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:36 pm

sjcourtney56 wrote:Not even getting into the rest of your argument here but Diggs isnt even a WR3 moving forward this season due to his matchups??? So the Lions against whom he had 13 catches...the Cowboys and their 21st ranked pass defense...the colts (c'mon)....the packers against whom he had 9 catches for 180...and the bears against whom he had 8 catches for 76 and a td....You can dislike Diggs all you want but to say that he isnt a WR3 for the rest of this season is a Skip Bayless level hot take.
WR2 based on matchup. I don't like how horrifyingly terrible the Vikings O-Line is and it's not like those defenses he torched are going to let him do that again. That's why he's a WR3 this week because he'll be covered by Patrick Peterson all game

Prickler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Prickler » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:39 pm

I've been buying up diggs cheap in a few leagues thanks to the doubters. Usually a late 1st + a throw in has been enough. This offseason he will be an early 3rd round startup pick with potential to move into the mid 2nd if his situation improves.

Don't try to change the minds of the doubters. Just keep buying diggs from them.

I've been a diggs truther since the offseason thanks to Shawn Siegeles constant articles hyping him.

Snake
Role Player
Role Player

Stefon Diggs Thread - What do do with Diggs?

Postby Snake » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:20 pm

I was looking at DLFs 2017 ADP and was pretty surprised that Diggs was the number 23 overall player (#16 WR). What has he shown you guys to make him worth that spot?

84 catches for 903 and three touchdowns last year when he played every game. He looked like the 3rd option behind Thielan and Rudolph and there are still a lot Treadwell believers out there. Neither Bradford or Bridgewater looks like like more than a checkdown QB to this point.

I think it's a lot more likely that Diggs' value drops to Marvin Jones territory than improves his lofty #23 overall ADP position. Time to sell!

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Stefon Diggs: Time to Sell

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Methinks "Snake" is trying to create a buyer's market in all his leagues... :whistle:
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Chandler Bing
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Chandler Bing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:40 pm

He actually missed 3 games that I see. Week 5,12 and 17

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Couldn't disagree more. Easily the Vikings best WR yesterday, today, and for the next several years. Is just getting started.

Chandler Bing
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Chandler Bing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:24 pm Couldn't disagree more. Easily the Vikings best WR yesterday, today, and for the next several years. Is just getting started.
Yep

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:16 am

I mean, if you're playing PPR, which is a very common theme in 2017, wouldn't you be happy with Teddy and Sam Bradford being checkdown guys? Cause more often than not they'll throw it to the safe option and very often said option has been Diggs so far in the 2 seasons in his career?

I can understand the outrage over the ADP as 23 is arguably a bit high, and I say that as a huge fan of Diggs. But he just turned 23 less than 3 months ago, and in 2 seasons in the league so far, in PPR he's been:

2015: WR48 (rookie year, missed 3 games) 52/720/4
2016: WR30 (second year, missed 3 games) 84/903/3

In just 13 games in 2016, Diggs averaged 14.86 ppg. Had he kept that average up and played all 16 games, he would have slotted as the WR12, meaning he'd be a low end WR1 for you in your average 12 team 1PPR league. Most importantly, though - Diggs is a decent athlete who runs very good routes and has good hands. He's a really polished WR for a guy who's barely 23.

Even if worst case scenario we've seen his absolute peak in 2016, WR30 means he's a very solid WR3. Sign me up!
Last edited by jaykay22 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeCoreyDavis

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:28 am

Jason3123 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:24 pm Couldn't disagree more. Easily the Vikings best WR yesterday, today, and for the next several years. Is just getting started.
Agree 100%. He's a stud and there's no real reason to sell unless you end up with great value falling in your lap by someone who's unreasonably high on Diggs.

The Diggs situation reminds me a bit of the Landry situation with how the dynasty community has "treated" both. "Landry's volume is not sustainable in the long run, his average depth of target is uninspiring, they will have a new offense under Gase and Devante Parker will take over as the #1 in 2016!"...and then 2016 comes around and nope! Landry is STILL the man in Miami. :nono:

"Diggs' QB situation isn't very inspiring between both QB's, it's Minnesota and AP will get fed a whole lot after all, Diggs is really a 5/60/0 every game guy who doesn't have great speed and first round pick Treadwell is gonna take over and lead the Vikings' offense in 2016!"...and then 2016 comes around and nope! Diggs is STILL the man in MN. :nono:

If you are drafting Diggs to be you WR1 or WR2, you're reaching.
If you are drafting Diggs to be your WR3 or WR4, your draft pick will be worth it.
#FreeCoreyDavis

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:51 am

I love Diggs and hope he does well, the only problem I have is that he's being drafted at WR16 and the other Vikings WRs are being drafted at WR36 (Treadwell) and at WR62 (Thielen). If everybody is healthy I see them all getting an even share of looks which would decrease Diggs value.

I do agree that Diggs will be the primary checkdown guy which is great in PPR league but I still think there is value to be had with drafting Thielen at WR62, his ADOT was 10.25 which is near the top in the league and Diggs was in the middle of the group with an ADOT of 8.50.

In fact, Thielen ranked 9th in the league in yards against replacement and 6th in the league in DVOA. I think I might be talking myself into Thielen more than Diggs now...