I hate the new forums

Administrative announcements, suggestions, opinions, complaints, problems, wish list items. Whatever it is about the administration or operation of the site or forum, you can find or post it here.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: I hate the new forums

Postby skip » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:25 pm

thevidon2 wrote:After using them for a while. I would just like to say that I still hate the new forums.
+1

And it is getting worse with everything being split up more and more.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:34 am

skip wrote:
thevidon2 wrote:After using them for a while. I would just like to say that I still hate the new forums.
+1

And it is getting worse with everything being split up more and more.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still planning on getting an optional stripped down version of the forum together, will make it look as much as possible like the old forum, though it'll never look and work exactly like that because phpbb ditched that old underlying engine a long time ago and the new forum engine simply is a little different. I can layer a template over it which makes it close to what the old forum looked like, but it won't be exactly the same. I have this on my to do list, just haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

Also Skip, what do you mean by '"everything being split up more and more''?

Thanks

KenM

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:56 pm

dlf_kenm wrote: Also Skip, what do you mean by '"everything being split up more and more''?
Everything was in a nice neat section with Dynasty, Team, etc...now there is a "Board Index" and those are under "Fantasy Football". Some topics have been moved out there where I never see them again under "NFL Talk" or other topics. Just force of habit I guess that I only end up out there on initial connection. Once I go into a section (like Fantasy Football) I never find myself visiting the other areas of the site.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:55 pm

skip wrote:
dlf_kenm wrote: Also Skip, what do you mean by '"everything being split up more and more''?
Everything was in a nice neat section with Dynasty, Team, etc...now there is a "Board Index" and those are under "Fantasy Football". Some topics have been moved out there where I never see them again under "NFL Talk" or other topics. Just force of habit I guess that I only end up out there on initial connection. Once I go into a section (like Fantasy Football) I never find myself visiting the other areas of the site.
I understand your concern Skip and feel that the main page is very long now because of some of the recent changes. I think a lot of the lesser used forums can have their content moved to other related forums and even off topic to simplify things. I sent Ken M an email about the concerns/ideas.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Yeah, combining some forums together would be a good idea (for example put lineup advice back with team advice, move IDP stuff back DOWN :wink: ) , I think anything that simplifies the forums is a good thing, as I like the K.I.S.S (Keep it simple, stupid :D ) model in running a forum like this. One positive thing I like about the new forums is the message center is better as the old forum would always scream "YOU HAVE ONE NEW MESSAGE" at me, which was a bit alarming, as if someone was YELLING at me :lol:

Edit: I don't really like the redraft advice section either, its just not what we should focus on here, we're better than that :D :wave:
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Before I used to read most if not all of the posts, but now with the huge output of information (which is good for the overall site), I tend to get overloaded so just hit certain threads. Usually read a couple then exit the site without replying as much as I used to. Great stuff but can be very confusing to keep the info straight. Maybe I'm just getting old :( but site could use some slimming down and combining of threads. Another problem I find and this is related to the sudden growth of members is double info (posting same question in different threads), not enough info and what I feel is a certain loss of community. But other then chasing down each offender I think that this is one of the down-sides to growth.

I switched over to the old-style for awhile to get a look and have to say I do like the way the new format looks. Like I said before though the main problem is alot of redundancy.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:05 pm

I tend to disagree with the opinion of thinning out the threads, unless they are seldom used:

Yes, there are more threads to sift through, but that is because of the POPULARITY of this site, which is a GOOD thing. The more opinions the better. Therefore, I think things like Lineup Advice should be separate. Sometimes when I come on here, I don't feel like giving people lineup advice, so I just ignore that forum until next time. I would HATE to sift through other Team Advice threads to find the ones that aren't lineup advice.

Also, I think most of the ones added recently, like Redraft or NFL talk, are good things. They might not be for Everyone here, but they are a niche for some of us.

Also, as far as navigation... I don't see what the problem is. The layout of the site is pretty straightforward, I think. Yes, you need to get used to it, but once you make a few posts and visit a few forums, you can easily find your way around... like I say to my owners on mfl, just play around with it for awhile, you'll get it.

Good luck gentlemen - I think you are putting out a quality product and I enjoy the changes and the growth of this forum and the site overall.

Instead of messing around with layout issues, I'd rather see more articles!!!

-oo-