The 1.01: Fournette or Cook

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
WideoutWizard
Rookie
Rookie

Re: The 1.01: Fournette or Cook

Postby WideoutWizard » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:11 am

Fournette is a no brainer over Cook, but people are over looking Corey Davis. Depending on situations, Davis could be 1.01.

There is a lot still to learn.
Check out my Dynasty Blog at wideoutwizard.com

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:37 am

Orange Bowl sure made Cook look tempting but think I'm still sticking with Fournette. I'm sure the combine will swing the momentum back the other way and then draft spot will be the tiebreaker.

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:00 am

Cook had a great game, but Fournette is still the 1.01. The only thing that could change that to me is landing spot, where is Fournette goes to the Browns and Cook ends up a Raider.

The main takeaway for me is those top 2 spots are becoming more and more valuable, because those 2 RBs are in a tier by themselves in this draft.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

jimmychoi
Starter
Starter

Postby jimmychoi » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:10 am

I could be wrong, but one thing I saw with Cook last night is that he has a good percentage of his runs that are zero gains or a loss. The flip side is he can tear one open for 40 plus on the next carry. As a point of discussion, do we think he'll be fast-shifty enough to have the consistent big gains in the pros? The announcers brought up a stat that approx 25% of his runs go for no gain or a loss.

cha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby cha » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:11 am

WideoutWizard wrote:Fournette is a no brainer over Cook, but people are over looking Corey Davis. Depending on situations, Davis could be 1.01.

There is a lot still to learn.

schiewerma21
All Pro
All Pro

Postby schiewerma21 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:23 am

jimmychoi wrote:I could be wrong, but one thing I saw with Cook last night is that he has a good percentage of his runs that are zero gains or a loss. The flip side is he can tear one open for 40 plus on the next carry. As a point of discussion, do we think he'll be fast-shifty enough to have the consistent big gains in the pros? The announcers brought up a stat that approx 25% of his runs go for no gain or a loss.

I think one of the questions about cook is his weight. I have seen this guy all over the place. Personally he looks about 210-212 to me. Which is big enough IMO. If he comes in at less than 210 are we worried? Where do you guys think his weight is at.

Because the jamaal Charles comparisons are lazy people who don't watch anything. Cook doesn't have the speed of Charles. Even though he is a big play guy he isn't running in the 4.3s like Charles. I'm not positive he breaks 4.50. Again is that a deal breaker? Of course not. But these are just questions I have about him. I think cook is great and I prefer fournette but I could care less if he's your 1.01. I have the 1.01 in two leagues. I may split my risk and go fournette once and cook once if they are close. Cook has to answer these questions first though for me to take him over fournette
TEAM 1: 12 man PPR (.25 passing and rushing attempt) dynasty league
QB:Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Zach Wilson
RB: Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift
WR: Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, Chris Godwin, Jamaar Chase, Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry

TEAM 2: 10 MAN Superflex. (standard PPR).
QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Jimmy G
RB: Mccaffrey, Zeke, Javonte, Akers, Jacobs, Edmonds, Henderson, Fournette, Pollard
WR: Adams, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Aiyuk, Odell Beckham, Devonta Smith Julio,Shenault
TE: Travis Kelce, George Kittle

TEAM 3:10 MAN PPR (2 QUARTERBACK LEAGUE took over orphan 2016) Dynasty League
QB: Dak, Lamar, Tua, Winston, Bridgewater,
RB: Mccaffrey, Henry, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Mike Davis
WR: Aj Brown, Terry Mclaurin, Theilen, Godwin, Juedy, Sutton, Watkins, Davis, Crowder
TE: Waller, Engram, Geodtert
2021picks: 1.10,3.10

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:41 am

jimmychoi wrote:I could be wrong, but one thing I saw with Cook last night is that he has a good percentage of his runs that are zero gains or a loss. The flip side is he can tear one open for 40 plus on the next carry. As a point of discussion, do we think he'll be fast-shifty enough to have the consistent big gains in the pros? The announcers brought up a stat that approx 25% of his runs go for no gain or a loss.
He's a homerun hitter, but not necessarily feast or famine. He's not as physical as Fournette, nor is he going to wear down on you as much. The flipside is that if you give him a little bit of space, he has the footspeed, agility and breakaway speed to take it to the house. That's probably why they compare him to Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson so much. He's so shifty and finds those cutback lanes with ease.

WideoutWizard
Rookie
Rookie

Postby WideoutWizard » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:39 pm

Fournette is a step ahead, but if Cook can add a bit of weight for the combine, and depending on landing spots, you never know. Below is a breakdown of each player.

http://www.wideoutwizard.com/future-fan ... rnette-rb/

http://www.wideoutwizard.com/future-fan ... n-cook-rb/

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:51 pm

Cook is 215. Wideoutwizard, you can't look at numbers alone in college football. Your logic will fail you. For example Tommy Chung and kliff Kingsbury would have been the best pro quarterbacks the league has ever seen. But they weren't. Because schemes effect stats in college. Go ahead and do your thing, but moneyball stat analysis doesn't translate.

WideoutWizard
Rookie
Rookie

Postby WideoutWizard » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:10 pm

ImaRounder wrote:Cook is 215. Wideoutwizard, you can't look at numbers alone in college football. Your logic will fail you. For example Tommy Chung and kliff Kingsbury would have been the best pro quarterbacks the league has ever seen. But they weren't. Because schemes effect stats in college. Go ahead and do your thing, but moneyball stat analysis doesn't translate.
Cook is not 215... wait no one knows his weight until the combine. I've seen it posted from 190-220 on different reliable sites.

Like I've said, numbers have to be used the right way. If you're not using numbers, what is the best way to evaluate players? Use others people's rankings without knowing how they evaluated the players? Watch tape, and pretend we are all NFL scouts?

Numbers are an indicator that help value players, not being biased. As new information (data) is available I apply it, and apply it to the players valuation.

I'm not sure what you are arguing. I'm providing information based on numbers. Take it or leave it, but we have to start somewhere, and I'd rather it be quantifiable and non biased.

WideoutWizard
Rookie
Rookie

Postby WideoutWizard » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:34 pm

I'll defend numbers (advanced metrics) until the cats come home, but there is no sure fire way to evaluate players. Even the "best" fantasy experts in the world miss on players all the time. Using numbers I've been able to avoid players like Laquon Treadwell, and hit on players such as David Johnson. I feel my strategy works just as well as any other information I can get on the web. In saying this I miss on players too. I missed Michael Thomas this year.

No one has the answer, but I feel that numbers used properly are the best indicator to get started.

Pork Sword
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Pork Sword » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:20 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:
People Mover wrote:Can't help but think some of these Cook and it's not even close posters are trying to drag Fournettes value down so they can land him at 1.02.
I can say that's definitely not my angle. Fournette just didn't knock my socks off this year like Cook did. I'd even say Fournette didn't even look like the best back on his own team this year. Watch Derrius Guice's tape from the A&M game, he was just as amazing as I'd always heard Fournette was. I hope it was just injuries. I hope he wasn't holding back waiting for the payday honestly. That's a character thing for me personally.
You questioning Fornette's character tells me all I need to know about your college football knowledge/scouting. Leo has A++ character and anyone who's ever met him would tell you the same. As for the discussion at hand, Id go Fornette, tho landing spots could change that

Terrible
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Terrible » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:55 pm

Cook by a decent margin for me. A bad landing spot combined with a Zeke-like spot for Fournette might be all that could sway me now.
10 team PPR
QB, RBx2, WRx3, TE, R/W/T
QB: Rivers, Tannehill, Garoppolo
RB: Gurley, Ingram, Lacy, Prosise, McKinnon, Richard, Burkhead, Zenner
WR: Hopkins, AJG, Dez, DT, K White, Parker, Treadwell, Floyd, DJax, Rogers
TE: Eifert, Hooper
'17 picks: 1.03, 1.04, 1.09, 2.01
'18 picks: two 1sts, two 2nds

People Mover
Role Player
Role Player

Postby People Mover » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:44 pm

The last big name LSU running back was Jeremy Hill?
The last big name FSU running back was Devonta Freeman?
Clemson seems to have success developing big game receivers.
Georgia seems to produce solid running backs.
Could the same be true of Fournette and Cook?
Obviously skill sets are skill sets and you can't put too much stick in schools...but...I would think that if Cook is greater than Freeman, sign me up.
1 team PPR league
Winner take all. $500 buy in.
I own 1.01, 2.01, 3.01, 4.01, 5.01 (plan to trade those picks for JMatt)

QB: JMatt
RB: JMatt, JMatt, JMatt
WR: JMatt-left side, JMatt-right side, JMatt-slot, JMatt-Vanderbilt, JMatt-sideline, JRice (just in case)
TE: JMatt, JMatt
K: JMatt

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:48 pm

Fournette has been hyped since high school. Just so happened that he grew up in Louisiana so it made sense to go to LSU. Wouldn't put too much stock in school's track record in this case.