Co-Managers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Co-Managers

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:24 pm

Would like to discuss something that I’ve seen now on a couple of occasions, co-managers, meaning having two guys managing one fantasy football team. I was kind of dismissive of this approach at first. But as family and business constraints have reduced the amount of time that I can spend on fantasy football, I’m beginning to see advantages to co-managing. For one, it would allow guys like me to participate in a league with the assistance of someone else who also has some time limitations. In addition, it could increase league activity and reduce bad moves, whether they be poor trades or inactive lineups. Two minds usually are better than one. On the flip side, perhaps neither guy will be as invested as they only have a share of the team… So apathy could be a downside to this approach.

There are of course different ways to co-manage. One is to have equal say in all actions, a true partnership. Another is to assign one manager authority over certain aspects, while the other manager has authority over other aspects. For example, one guy could wear the “general manager” hat and have authority over drafting and trading. The other guy could be the “coach” and have authority over starting line-ups and in-season free agency acquisitions. To be clear, what I mean by “authority” is having the final say in the event of a deadlock. The understanding would be that each guy confers with the co-manager on actions and moves.

Think this topic is rather novel and a good discussion point for the forum as we head into the off-season.

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Co-Managers

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:41 pm

I've actually been thinking about setting up a league like this, in which there are 12 owners (who, like you said, handle drafting and trading) and 12 coaches (who, like you said, handle lineups and waiver wire pickups).

The teams could strike their own balance between owner and coach and there could be really interesting "benefits" for the coaches. For example, there could be hiring and firing of coaches, "salaries," contracts (i.e. a percentage of winnings, bonuses for certain achievements, what the coach has a say in), etc...

Perhaps there could be more coaches than owners, thus setting up a tiny economy -- potentially as many "coaches" as want to be in the pool! They set up a resume, etc... If the league is a success, other interested parties could "buy-in" and have a startup team. I really think there's potential.

Funky league scoring, payouts and lineups could put more weight into coaching decisions in order to make that a more important role. Basically, the week-to-week responsibilities would be upped.

--

If people are interested, we can get to work on it.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:54 pm

I am an advocate for co-management. I've co-managed a contract dynasty team for 3-4 years with a great IRL friend and we have won back to back championships. In general, I am the GM and he is the gameday "coach". It highlights the best traits for both of us, while masking our individual weaknesses. The single greatest benefit that you have not mentioned is that there is ALWAYS someone else to talk to about your squad who cares just as much as you do. A trusted and productive outlet, w/ all the team and league specific context baked into the conversation.

Pork Sword
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Pork Sword » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm not a fan. I guess I've just had a bad experience as there was a team in one of my league's where there was co-owners. The worst part was talking trades to one of the owners, via the chat, only to have the other owner want something different. It got really confusing when talking to them on who was who(bc they were always so differing on opinions). So obviously made deals hard to get done. There was a time where I had agreed in principle to a trade with one, and he had to confirm with the other owner. So a few days later, the guy was like, well, "Johnny" doesn't want to do it. Needless to say I pretty much stayed away from dealing with that bs

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:54 pm

Pork Sword wrote:I'm not a fan. I guess I've just had a bad experience as there was a team in one of my league's where there was co-owners. The worst part was talking trades to one of the owners, via the chat, only to have the other owner want something different. It got really confusing when talking to them on who was who(bc they were always so differing on opinions). So obviously made deals hard to get done. There was a time where I had agreed in principle to a trade with one, and he had to confirm with the other owner. So a few days later, the guy was like, well, "Johnny" doesn't want to do it. Needless to say I pretty much stayed away from dealing with that bs
Don't blame you at all in this situation. That's a bad experience. Not all co-managers operate this way though. It can work well and contribute positively to overall league health/enjoyment.

Pancakes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pancakes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:01 pm

I only have experience witnessing one co-managed team thats been in effect since league inception 2010. I've never heard of any issues or disagreements between the two.

To be honest, I like the GM aspect of being a fantasy owner much more than the line-up coach aspect and I would welcome a co-owner for my team should someone I know IRL wanted in. I would want authority over weekly add/drops that a coach may be wanting to make for week to week optimization (thinking kicker, DST matchups, perhaps BYE week fill-ins). I would hate to see a prospect I covet getting let go by a coach to sub in a DST for a bye week
The Wildcards est. 2010 (2016 Champs)
12-team Non-PPR, standard scoring
Starts QB, QB/TE, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DST
Rodgers, Dak, Tyrod, Trubisky, JimmyG, Savage
Latavius, Perine, JHoward, Gore, Skittles Lynch,Zenner, Ivory, Michael
Adams, Tyreek, Tyrell, Diggs, Rishard Matthews, J Matthews, Gabriel, Meredith, Enunwa
Eifert, JThomas, macdonald
Kicker
Defense

doublesticks
Role Player
Role Player

Postby doublesticks » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:39 pm

I co-own a dynasty team with 2 of my buddies, we have finished 1st, 1st and 2nd in 3 years we have been doing this.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, having a job that requires travel and 3 kids under 10 at home keeps me on my toes, so having them there to set lineup and grab a guy off waivers while I'm at baseball practice has been very helpful.

We had an owner get mad at us, and probably rightfully so, our first season because he sent and offer, we text/email discussed it and nobody ever got back to him to actually reject or counter it. It was a miscommunication between the 3 of us about who was going to respond, but I could see his point and we apologized for messing up.

In the end, it has been a positive in my opinion, but the one downfall is having to split the money 3 ways!

AlPal&Ange
All Pro
All Pro

Postby AlPal&Ange » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:41 pm

In team one in my sig, I/ we (My brother and I) co- own. We've played in two season thus far and it has worked well. I am better at scanning that waiver wire, where as he is better at constructing trades and conversing with other owners. I'm a huge advocate for it. Its a great way to keep in touch with a buddy and bond over fantasy football. The key to successfully doing this however is that you need to know them in real life, both work to their own strengths, and finally communicate effectively. In short, it has been a very positive experience for both of us.

Also, it can prohibit some bad habits, like trading too much! :thumbup:

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:50 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote:I've actually been thinking about setting up a league like this, in which there are 12 owners (who, like you said, handle drafting and trading) and 12 coaches (who, like you said, handle lineups and waiver wire pickups).

The teams could strike their own balance between owner and coach and there could be really interesting "benefits" for the coaches. For example, there could be hiring and firing of coaches, "salaries," contracts (i.e. a percentage of winnings, bonuses for certain achievements, what the coach has a say in), etc...

Perhaps there could be more coaches than owners, thus setting up a tiny economy -- potentially as many "coaches" as want to be in the pool! They set up a resume, etc... If the league is a success, other interested parties could "buy-in" and have a startup team. I really think there's potential.

Funky league scoring, payouts and lineups could put more weight into coaching decisions in order to make that a more important role. Basically, the week-to-week responsibilities would be upped.

--

If people are interested, we can get to work on it.
I would definitely be interested in this. I'm not great at setting lineups or WW, so would be great to just be a GM, and have a coach make the other decisions. However I think it should be pretty standard otherwise, the salaries etc. seems pretty complicated. If you create a league like this let me know, I'm sure I could find a coach in line with my thinking.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:41 pm

Did it once and only because I was in college and we needed to split the $1500 buy in. Was not a fan. Hard to agree on things such as players values, trades, drafting, etc. There is also a co-owns team in one of my leagues and they are by far the most annoying to deal with. Always waiting on one to discuss with the other and during the email rookie drafts it always seems like one is bust the entire day. Now, I get that is a little more case specific and on them specifically. If you do the "partnership" in fantasy, make sure there are some really good ground rules and communication.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:51 pm

I recently took possession of an orphaned team in "Teprovich88's" (Dr Stan from our podcast) and the only way I would do it is if I could bring along "Imarounder" (Steve, other podcast partner) to co-manage the team with me.

I really wanted to get in a league with Dr Stan, but I didn't want to take on a whole team by myself because i really only like participating in my home league with my buddies, so that's why I brought Steve along.

I have zero interest in taking over another team by myself because I just wouldn't be into it, like i previously stated - I like rooting for just one team, my home league team with mostly local friends. But, if I teamed up with somebody like Steve I think it would create kind of an US vs Them type of dynamic and as a team.

We actually are already talking about running a team together with Dr Stan, Steve and myself in the league JGD is brewing up as we speak! Lol
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:52 pm

I recently took possession of an orphaned team in Teprovich88's league (Dr Stan from our podcast) and the only way I would do it is if I could bring along "Imarounder" (Steve, another podcast partner) to co-manage the team with me.

I really wanted to get in a league with Dr Stan, but I didn't want to take on a whole team by myself because I really only like participating in my home league with my buddies, so that's why I opted to bring Steve along.

I have zero interest in taking over another team by myself because I just wouldn't be into it, like i previously stated - I like rooting for just one team, my home league team with mostly local friends. But, if I teamed up with somebody like Steve I think it would create kind of an US vs Them type of dynamic and be fun without feeling like I'm cheating on my main league if that makes sense...

We actually are already talking about running a team together with Dr Stan, Steve and myself in the league JGD is brewing up as we speak! Lol
Last edited by Coogan Football on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Pork Sword wrote:I'm not a fan. I guess I've just had a bad experience as there was a team in one of my league's where there was co-owners. The worst part was talking trades to one of the owners, via the chat, only to have the other owner want something different. It got really confusing when talking to them on who was who(bc they were always so differing on opinions). So obviously made deals hard to get done. There was a time where I had agreed in principle to a trade with one, and he had to confirm with the other owner. So a few days later, the guy was like, well, "Johnny" doesn't want to do it. Needless to say I pretty much stayed away from dealing with that bs
This. I've had a couple of co-managed teams in my leagues and it's at times annoying trying to discuss a trade with those teams.

I like the idea proposed above about a GM and a coach, the problem is if your just a GM do you have enough interest in doing all the research you need to in order to properly draft and trades, etc.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:00 pm

We've had a team with co-managers for the 19 years I've been in the league (team in sig). I don't think there's been a problem with the arrangement as such, but will echo the thought of Pork Sword with regard to negotiating trades. Instead of getting a single owner to pull the trigger you've got to convince two people that the trade makes sense.

We have had trade discussions, but I believe I've only been able to finalize one deal with that squad.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:01 pm

I theoretically took over a team as the manager for a dynasty site that needed someone to handle the responsibility for a couple seasons. About midway thru the first year, one of the owners of the site with team access started making waiver wire moves. I told him I was either managing the team or not. He said some b.s. about thinking I wasn't very active because I hadn't made any moves in a week or two. He pulled the same crap a week later and I just stopped doing anything. Told him if he was going to mess up the team it was all his. We had two methodologies of running a team and there was no way I was going to try to work with the stupid decisions he was making. There are people a trust to ask for advice but I won't try to run a team with another owner.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.