Giving up on a 1st rounder too soon - League dilema

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
sunnyd23
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Giving up on a 1st rounder too soon - League dilema

Postby sunnyd23 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:36 pm

At first, I would be for protecting the league. But, if an owner decides to drop a player so be it. My biggest concern for your league is that you roster kickers at all!
10-team, Superflex, PPR, performance, 25-man roster
QB(Start 1-2): L.Jackson, S.Darnold, D.Carr
RB(2-3): J.Mixon, M.Mack, C.Edwards-Helaire, J.Taylor, J.K.Dobbins, A.J.Dillon, Z.Moss, L.Miller, , Ja.Williams, G.Bernard
WR(3-4): D.Hopkins, A.Cooper, A.Theilen, K.Golloday, C.Davis, L.Fitzgerald, Z.Pascal, M.Boykin
TE(1-2): D.Njoku, D.Waller
'21 - 1,4

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:41 pm

BelichekYourSelf wrote:Honestly if those owners are that bad the league would be better off if they quit and were replaced by more competent owners.
We have a player in my league that pays each year but doesn't follow football as much as most of us. He wanted to drop Will Fuller at the beginning of this season during roster cuts instead of dropping Marshawn Lynch or Calvin Johnson, which I could see making a case for but he had other retired players on his roster he could cut also... We ended up making him keep Will Fuller and made him drop Fred Jackson instead.

A few weeks ago he heard Ray Rice rumors so he dropped Devante Booker to pick up Ray Rice... We didn't let him undo that one. I think we are going to replace this owner next year for the betterment of the league.

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:59 pm

I joined a league with a RLF and his buddies from home, similar format, 15 yearly keepers with 22 roster spots, 8/12 have only played redraft, so with kickers and a keeper league with short benches was chosen to ease the rookies into a Dynasty league. Everyone has to be a rookie once. I understand the growing pains, but he will learn his lesson

snitchinsider
Role Player
Role Player

Postby snitchinsider » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:53 pm

In my opinion, if you have to protect someone from themselves in a league, then that person doesn't meet your standard of skill in the league and shouldn't be in it.
Hopkins elitist.
Abdullah apologist.
Ajayi truther.
Bortles drum banger.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:24 pm

zoster80 wrote:
Cameron Giles wrote:Find a new league.
its not that big of a deal, my team is solid....I'm just going to drop the issue, I wish I could just wake the guy up...
Similar thing happened in one of my leagues. Guy dropped Doctson after week 1 or 2, just flat dropped him, and an owner that had swindled multiple rubes in the start up draft snagged him with all of his bidding bucks. Was the final straw with me in the league. Looked like one or two owners might be sock puppets, I was warned before the start up draft even started that this guy was notorious for swindling owners left and right and being shady as hell. And it played out exactly as such. Despite having put together a strong team (OBJR, Hopkins, Moncrief are my big three at WR, solid enough at RB but lost both Martin and Abdullah to injury derailing my season when combined with the Moncrief injury and Hopkins imploding), I'm going to bail. Just not enjoyable to play in a league w/owners that are clueless, and other owners that are swindlers, even if collusion isn't provable. I like competitive but friendly leagues and this one definitely isn't that.

Anyway on your point I just wish they could put the player into a separate say, blind bidding box after the season or something. There's something inherently stupid about randomness allowing a player to grab a hugely valuable asset because another owner was completely and totally incompetent. Wish there was a seemingly fair way to address issues like that.

RavingLunatic
Starter
Starter

Postby RavingLunatic » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:54 am

Someone dropped Coleman in one of my leagues and I scooped him up. I ain't mad.

DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DDT » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:21 am

snitchinsider wrote:In my opinion, if you have to protect someone from themselves in a league, then that person doesn't meet your standard of skill in the league and shouldn't be in it.

Completely agree. The owner dropping Treadwell isn't your league's problem. Having that owner in your league is the problem. If you keep him in the league then you have to accept that he may do things that the vast majority of readers of this board find to be stupid. But monitoring his transactions in an attempt to keep him in the league and protect him is not the way to go.

NanceUSMC
Role Player
Role Player

Postby NanceUSMC » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:59 am

Almost exactly how I ended up with Davante Parker...

Let the owners learn lessons the hard way if necessary...
10 team Non-PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1Def), full keeper, 23 man roster, established 2013

QB: Tannehill, Tua
RB: CEH, Swift, Sanders, Bell, Fournette, Etienne
WR: Jones, Hopkins, Chase, D Smith, Bateman, Parker, Fuller, Harry, D Johnson, D Samuel, P Williams, Higgins, Chark
K: Butker
Def: Baltimore, Carolina

Championships: 2015, 2017

2014: 1.01 (Became Watkins)
2015: 1.03, 1.04, 3.04 (Became Gurley, Yeldon, CAP, Robinson UDFA)
2016: 1.10 (Became Fuller)
2017: 1.01, 3.07 (Became Fournette, Henderson)
2018: 2.10 (Became Chark)
2019: 1.04 (Became Harry, Samuel, Williams, Isabella, Johnson)
2020: 1.01, 1.05, 2.01, 3.01 (Became CEH, Swift, Tua, Higgins)
2021: 1.03, 1.08, 2.03, 3.03 (Became Chase, D Smith, Etienne, Bateman)

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:21 am

The thing is, what if Treadwell busts. I know it is not likely (especially on this forum), but sometimes we come back and look at things like this and laugh. In all reality, playing with rookies sucks. I wont do it anymore either as it just is pointless and I will join a free league(never) if I want to benefit from incompetence.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:58 am

That's my issue though. Should an owner simply be able to have a top 20-40 asset because the waiver system happens to be their friend the day an owner makes a complete arse of himself? To me it creates a fundamental imbalance in the league. It's one thing to win a trade, or make a fantastic draft pick, it's another to essentially get a top 3 or 4 round draft pick essentially for free.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:04 am

Don't you guys do Blind Bidding, so everyone has a shot at said player? Not that it makes it a ton better.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

LibertyCountyBrawler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby LibertyCountyBrawler » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:14 am

stoneghost28 wrote:That's my issue though. Should an owner simply be able to have a top 20-40 asset because the waiver system happens to be their friend the day an owner makes a complete arse of himself? To me it creates a fundamental imbalance in the league. It's one thing to win a trade, or make a fantastic draft pick, it's another to essentially get a top 3 or 4 round draft pick essentially for free.
What is the alternative though? If you're not using a blind bid system then the waiver process is unfair to begin with.
Liberty County Brawlers - Dynasty Brew League
2016 Season - 10-3
12 team - 30 Man Roster + 2 IR, PPR
1QB-2RB-2 WR-1 TE-1FLEX-1K-1DB-1DL-1LB-1DFLEX
2017 Draft picks - 1, 2, 3, 4 (late), 4(early), 5
QB – RODGERS, CARR
RB – D. JOHNSON, J. WHITE, W. SMALLWOOD, E. LACY, R. KELLEY, K. FARROW
WR – JULIO JONES, A. JEFFREY, R. COBB, J. MATTHEWS, J. CROWDER, T. HILL, JJ. NELSON, B. TREGGS, D. INMAN, K. ALLEN
TE – Z. ERTZ, D. PITTA, A. SEFERIAN-JENKINS, J. JAMES, CJ FIEDOROWICZ, L. THOMAS
K – B. MCMANUS
DB – T. JEFFERSON, M. JENKINS
DL – D. HUNTER, J. BOSA, J.J. WATT
LB – K. ALEXANDER, T. DAVIS, T. SMITH, D. BUCANNON

Liberty County Brawlers - Jardel League
2016 Season - 9-4
10 Team - 20 Man Roster - PPR - 7 KEEPER
1 QB-2RB-4 WR-1 TE-1 RB/WR/TE
QB – D. CARR, J. WINSTON
RB – D. JOHNSON, T. WEST, T. RIDDICK, C. HYDE, J. LANGFORD, D. HENRY, R. KELLEY
WR – D. THOMAS, R. COBB, W. FULLER, A. COOPER, T. AUSTIN, T. LOCKETT, M. SANU, J. LANDRY, J. GORDON
TE – D. WALKER, T. KELCE