Good news for Ajayi owners!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Good news for Ajayi owners!

Postby Phaded » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:39 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:He's having a good game. Most RB's have at one time or another. I don't really think this changes anything. The truthers are going to beat their chests, and the nay sayers are going to say it's a fluke.
Yeah it's hard to read too much into one game when things happen for any player who was not performing like that prior.

I don't expect people to start screaming "go pick up Case Keenum" for example.

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby 1standgoal » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:39 pm

SEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Some really hard running this afternoon, it was great to see ... he must not like the Steelers much.
@PlankMelody

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:43 pm

1standgoal wrote:SEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
You mean he isn't going to get 200 yards a week?

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:05 pm

- Outside-zone run-plays destroyed Pittsburgh today. Repeatedly dominated on the outside, not so much by Ajayi himself but by Miami's previously hapless O-line.
- Ajayi showed that he has enough speed to breakaway at the NFL level. It's not elite, but it's fast enough. Before this game I wasn't sure.
- Ajayi also had a few carries where he showed nice YAC ability. He showed he can push a pile at this level.
- He was at 24-140-1 before the 60 yard scamper at the end of the game, so this wasn't just a fluky outlier-run statline.

All in all, I don't think Ajayi was quite as individually dominant as his stat-line suggests, but obviously one can't criticize the performance. I'm still not seeing truly special qualities on Ajayi's tape, but he is starting to show what he already showed in college: if you feed him enough, he'll produce and even wear down some defenses. He's a big guy with well above-average athleticism for his size/weight, and he can respectably workhorse.

I think Gase is just gonna have to give up on one of his RBs being both a good volume rusher and advanced passing-catching back. With the talent he has at his disposal, he can have one or the other, not both. Ajayi is his best option. Giving him 15-20 carries week will help open up the passing-offense and do more for ball-control. He won't always be good, but he can keep defenses more honest and do more for Miami's time of possession than Foster/Drake/Williams can.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Not taking anything away from Ajayi, but there's not a RB in the league that wouldn't have lit up the Steelers today. They were absolutely pathetic. The holes Ajayi ran through were absolutely huge and there was often no one around in the secondary to quickly bring him down. That was one of the worst run defences I've ever seen today.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Yeah. On the outside-zone plays he was often running through space I'm only used to seeing on college tape.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Friction wrote:Is Ajayi actually startable now or is his a fluke? I have not watched any of the game, but he has some good stats and does not look like its flukey. Pitt has a decent run d as far as I know.

Good question. Nearly half way through the fantasy season, I hope this backfield finally takes some shape after this. Would love to get a couple startable weeks out of Ajayi. What did Arian look like today!

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Picked him up for a few buck a couple of weeks ago of the waiver wire. Happy to listen to offers now!
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:32 pm

I think Ajayi can be started as an RB2 next week. He dominated touches with Foster active, and not much of an argument can be made to scale him back coming off a week like this one.

Gase himself last week said that using too much of a committee at RB was 'bad coaching' on his part. First game MIami fully commits to one runner, and this happens. So I'm pretty sure they'll give it a whirl at least one more week with Ajayi, to see if it's real with him.

Also note Tannehill posted his best QBR of the year thus far today. Tanny didn't throw any TDs so he was a fantasy dud, but in real-football terms the rushing-offense's productivity plainly helped him out. Don't think Gase failed to notice.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:41 pm

I don't care what the matchup was or what the situation is, if you have a RB in an unsettled backfield go off for 200+ yards....You feed him the ball the following week.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

jimmycricket14
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jimmycricket14 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:16 pm

I think there are still PLENTY of questions around Ajayi's value/potential for the rest of this season and beyond but he ran the ball really hard today. I was really impressed by how he finished his runs and he looked like the type of back you would want to feature and feed the ball 20+ times a game to wear down a defense. I am starting to wonder if Gase is coming around to the idea that the Dolphins might be better off establishing a ground game than trying to feature the hapless Tannehill and the passing game. The next few weeks will be very interesting to see how the play calling and snap splits when Foster is fully healthy and practicing again. Hard not to be cautiously optimistic about Ajayi after how he looked today

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:56 am

I still think it was a fluke game , the steelers under tomlin are something like 12-15 now against <.300 W/L teams the last several years . They blow a couple games every season to horrific teams and it has cost them huge in the past . Forcing them to miss the playoffs a couple times costing division titles and home field advantage as well. He gets all this credit for being a good coach but they come out flat as pancakes and make dog crap teams and players look like they are bound for canton every year. For all his bluster and screeching and high fives he does a piss poor job of getting his team prepared for what should be walk over type opponents.
I do not think they have a shot at home vs. the patriots w/o ben but was less apprehensive about that game (prior to his injury) than this dolphins debacle because at least in games with the good teams at least the steelers SHOW UP.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

snitchinsider
Role Player
Role Player

Postby snitchinsider » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:44 am

If people were going to pile on Ajayi up until this point when the line was so bad, then it only seems fair to me to give Ajayi heaps of praise for performing when the line dominates like they did last week.

Let's be consistent here.

Ajayi's problem is not and has never been talent. The line in Miami has been bad. I agree that he might be a good sell right now, but mostly because I don't expect Miami's line to continue to play well. That was, however, the first time this season they've had all five offensive line starters on the field at the same time. So there is certainly upside to that situation.
Last edited by snitchinsider on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hopkins elitist.
Abdullah apologist.
Ajayi truther.
Bortles drum banger.

snitchinsider
Role Player
Role Player

Postby snitchinsider » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:46 am

BuckeyeNation wrote:I don't care what the matchup was or what the situation is, if you have a RB in an unsettled backfield go off for 200+ yards....You feed him the ball the following week.
Unless you're Jonas Gray, and then the Patriots bench you the very next week.
Hopkins elitist.
Abdullah apologist.
Ajayi truther.
Bortles drum banger.