OBJ #1 fantasy asset in FF?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
People Mover
Role Player
Role Player

OBJ #1 fantasy asset in FF?

Postby People Mover » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:46 am

Surprised to see such a slow start to the consensus golden child of fantasy football? This was a player who "transcended" the game. He was being valued as a player who was cut from a different cloth. The cloth of Jerry Rice's and Randy Moss's tighty whiteys. Remember? Now he looks like everyone else. Talented, but not superior. Not surprising.
1 team PPR league
Winner take all. $500 buy in.
I own 1.01, 2.01, 3.01, 4.01, 5.01 (plan to trade those picks for JMatt)

QB: JMatt
RB: JMatt, JMatt, JMatt
WR: JMatt-left side, JMatt-right side, JMatt-slot, JMatt-Vanderbilt, JMatt-sideline, JRice (just in case)
TE: JMatt, JMatt
K: JMatt

PingPwng
Role Player
Role Player

Re: OBJ #1 fantasy asset in FF?

Postby PingPwng » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:47 am

Other teams game-planning to him, and Shephard's presence have shifted the way the Giants scheme their offense. He's still a stud.
Waiver Warriors|12 Teams|1PPR|1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1FLEX/1K/1DEF Roster 21 '14 R/U '17 Champ No '18 picks
QB:C. Newton/J. Goff
RB:T. Gurley/L. Bell NA/M. Mack/J. Mixon/S. Michel/K. Drake/R. Penny
WR:M. Evans/O. Beckham/T. Hill/ T. Boyd/A. Robinson/C. Godwin/D. Westbrook/A. Callaway
TE: I. Thomas/C. Brate/H. Henry (IR) K - M. Prater DEF - CHI

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:54 am

As a Giants fan who now owns him in 2 of 3 (desperately trying to get him in the 3rd) he is fine.

his targets are the same as last year. His numbers are good and the only thing missing are the TDs which will come. Your window to buy him is now. He may have another down game against Min but you will never get him cheaper.

Many people see his value dropping based on the other WR etc but I love his situation.

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:56 am

I'm not worried about him at all. The skillset is still there. If you watched the game, Shepard looked great, but the Giants were at their best when going to Odell. They were going to him on the last two drives more, and he was producing on those targets. He did miss one big ball, and ran a route short of the line of gain on a third down, but he looks every bit as dynamic as he did before.

No surprises here, he's still the best asset in fantasy football with years of elite play in front of him.

Previous two seasons per game averages (catches, targets, yards, tds) were:
6.9, 10.8, 102, 0.9

Thus far through 3, in a small sample size:
6.3, 10, 93.3, 0

Slight decrease to overall numbers in a small sample size, and the TD's (typically random) aren't there yet.

Nothing to see here, in my opinion.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:57 am

Drives me a little nuts when people think that being the #1 asset means they should be producing as the WR1 and if not it's a disappointment.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:59 am

Became the fastest player to 200 receptions this weekend. I have no problem with him as the consensus #1 overall dynasty asset, but Evans should firmly be in the discussion by the end of this season.

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:01 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote:Drives me a little nuts when people think that being the #1 asset means they should be producing as the WR1 and if not it's a disappointment.
Very good point. Sometimes having 3 studs means you will lose.

I would start Julio AJG and Marshall/Evans and I will lose games. Is it unfortunate yes. But just because I have stud WR doesn't mean other guys can't perform well. And if they struggle it doesn't mean they are useless.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:13 am

A lot of the perceived elite assets have struggled out the gate this year.

No need to worry. You don't always have to finish top 5 year-in and year-out to be considered elite.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:14 am

Discussions like this are pointless unless you can bring up football reasons as to why the player is being overvalued. Otherwise, Beckham is too good not to eventually get his usual yardage and touchdowns. He's playing well. He just hasn't landed in the end zone.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:21 am

People Mover wrote:Surprised to see such a slow start to the consensus golden child of fantasy football? This was a player who "transcended" the game. He was being valued as a player who was cut from a different cloth. The cloth of Jerry Rice's and Randy Moss's tighty whiteys. Remember? Now he looks like everyone else. Talented, but not superior. Not surprising.
Who would you draft ahead of him today? Stefon Diggs? Marvin Jones? Travis Benjamin? Terrelle Pryor? After all, all of those WRs have scored more than him so far!

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:25 am

I think OBJ is the #1 dynasty asset, but I never understood how some had him so much higher than anyone else. For some reason people expected a wr like Julio/brown + some substantial piece for beckham. Or they would want someone like green/Bryant +++ for beckham.

It happens every offseason where there is "one" guy who is the best and for some reason costs way more than the 2nd/3rd/4th etc. guy, when in reality it's probably more just personal preference. It happened with Julio last year, dez two years ago, green I think 3-4 years ago, megatron before that. All of these elite wrs are so close I find it hard to understand how one could be so much better than the other. If I had beckham I would gladly trade him for someone like cooper+Hilton or something along those lines. I don't think cooper will necessarily score more points, in fact I think OBJ will but I think cooper+Hilton will score more than OBJ+whoever else I have.

I may be speaking in extremes, but hopefully my point came across. I just feel that no elite wr is ever worth much more than another elite wr+a 2nd.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:27 am

It says a lot about OBJ that a day after he catches 7 passes for 121 yards a thread appears showing concern about his production ....The key is watching the talent on the field. He is truly special. I think it is very likely he will finish the season as the WR1.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:31 am

heyfeefellskee wrote:
People Mover wrote:Surprised to see such a slow start to the consensus golden child of fantasy football? This was a player who "transcended" the game. He was being valued as a player who was cut from a different cloth. The cloth of Jerry Rice's and Randy Moss's tighty whiteys. Remember? Now he looks like everyone else. Talented, but not superior. Not surprising.
Who would you draft ahead of him today? Stefon Diggs? Marvin Jones? Travis Benjamin? Terrelle Pryor? After all, all of those WRs have scored more than him so far!
:lol:

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:38 am

dm1129 wrote:It says a lot about OBJ that a day after he catches 7 passes for 121 yards a thread appears showing concern about his production ....The key is watching the talent on the field. He is truly special. I think it is very likely he will finish the season as the WR1.

Exactly, also let's not forget, the Redskins went out and inked arguably the best corner back in the NFL to shut down OBJ. In 3 games he has 19 catches for 280 yards. That mean's hes on pace for 101/1500, and the TDs will come. So if are are complaining that this production is low, and this being his bottom, I would say that puts him in a category that few other receivers can challenge at the age of 23.
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

The Fantasy Feud
MVP
MVP

Postby The Fantasy Feud » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:13 am

Jpalladino91 wrote:
dm1129 wrote:It says a lot about OBJ that a day after he catches 7 passes for 121 yards a thread appears showing concern about his production ....The key is watching the talent on the field. He is truly special. I think it is very likely he will finish the season as the WR1.

Exactly, also let's not forget, the Redskins went out and inked arguably the best corner back in the NFL to shut down OBJ. In 3 games he has 19 catches for 280 yards. That mean's hes on pace for 101/1500, and the TDs will come. So if are are complaining that this production is low, and this being his bottom, I would say that puts him in a category that few other receivers can challenge at the age of 23.
Wow didn't even realize that's what he's on pace for. He's a monster. For me he is 100 percent the number 1 asset still.
Hosts of The Fantasy Feud - Fantasy Football Podcast

https://linktr.ee/thefantasyfeud