Is it time to pump the brakes on the Kelvin Benjamin hate?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jimjim90
Rookie
Rookie

Is it time to pump the brakes on the Kelvin Benjamin hate?

Postby jimjim90 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:54 am

I'm a KB owner, so there is some inherent bias here, but all offseason I've heard pretty much nothing but Devin Funchess love and KB hate. When Funchess was coming out as a rookie, no one seemed to want much to do with him because he was considered more or less just a guy. Aside from one big game and a few splash plays last year, he wasn't all that impressive. He only caught about 50% of his targets, so it's not like he is this super efficient WR (one of the big knocks on KB). This year, you'd be hard pressed to find many KB truthers, while the Funchess bandwagon seems to have a waiting list. I know it's just one game, but based on last night, KB is going to be the consistent weekly play while Funchess and Ginn are going to be boom or bust type starts. Am I missing something here?
Last edited by jimjim90 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 team dynasty league, salary cap, .5 PPR, return yards, IDP

QB: Prescott, T. Taylor, Manuel
RB: Gurley, D. Martin, Abdullah, Duke Johnson, Foreman, Zenner, B. Cunningham
WR: Cooks, K. Benjamin, Jeffery, C. Coleman, Treadwell, Kupp, R. Anderson, T. Sharpe, E. Rogers
TE: Ebron, D. Sims, J. Graham, C. Brate

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Is it time to pump the brakes on the Kelvin Benjamin hat

Postby _yeti » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:01 am

Oh yeah, he's back in a big way. Everything is "what have you done for me lately" with people. People were doubting Julio before last year and Dez before this year. KB bodied people his rookie year and he's right back to it. You get injured and sit out a year and the league goes on without you and doubt creeps up in our minds, but it is misplaced here (and with Dez).

I dropped Funchess last year, not traded, dropped him. I never saw what other people want him to be. KB gets flack and rightly so because he isn't a natural pass catcher (doesn't have great hands). But he makes up for it with size and athletic ability. He'll have some drops but him being such an overpowering force in the red zone and his TDs make up for it. I'm a believer and don't own him. Cam loves the guy and he's gonna have a huge year. What he did yesterday was against Denver's secondary, just wait until they play a bad defense. Guys like KB and ARob are so reliable and great to own because of how dominant they are in the red zone. I'd try to trade for him, but am most set at WR. Drafted him in redraft this year though
Last edited by _yeti on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:02 am

Funchess could still end up having a really good season. I think his true breakout will be in the 3rd year though. He and Benjamin are capable of flourishing together, so it doesn't necessarily have to be either/or. But it's hard to jump to any real conclusions because of a single game.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:03 am

_yeti wrote:Oh yeah, he's back in a big way. Everything is "what have you done for me lately" with people. People were doubting Julio before last year and Dez before this year. KB bodied people his rookie year and he's right back to it. You get injured and sit out a year and the league goes on without you and doubt creeps up in our minds, but it is misplaced here (and with Dez).

I dropped Funchess last year, not traded, dropped him. I never saw what other people want him to be. KB gets flack and rightly so because he isn't a natural pass catcher (doesn't have great hands). But he makes up for it with size and athletic ability. He'll have some drops but him being such an overpowering force in the red zone and his TDs make up for it. I'm a believer and don't own him. Cam loves the guy and he's gonna have a huge year.
Are you bragging about dropping Funchess?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:05 am

_yeti wrote:Oh yeah, he's back in a big way. Everything is "what have you done for me lately" with people. People were doubting Julio before last year and Dez before this year. KB bodied people his rookie year and he's right back to it. You get injured and sit out a year and the league goes on without you and doubt creeps up in our minds, but it is misplaced here (and with Dez).

I dropped Funchess last year, not traded, dropped him. I never saw what other people want him to be. KB gets flack and rightly so because he isn't a natural pass catcher (doesn't have great hands). But he makes up for it with size and athletic ability. He'll have some drops but him being such an overpowering force in the red zone and his TDs make up for it. I'm a believer and don't own him. Cam loves the guy and he's gonna have a huge year. What he did yesterday was against Denver's secondary, just wait until they play a bad defense. Guys like KB and ARob are so reliable and great to own because of how dominant they are in the red zone. I'd try to trade for him, but am most set at WR. Drafted him in redraft this year though
To put it lightly, dropping Funchess after a productive rookie season isn't very smart.

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:07 am

To me it's always been relative to their price. Personally, I feel like getting Funchess is a lot like getting KB, except it costs a lot less to do so.

I do think you're being a tad overly sensitive as a KB owner, and yes it's far too early to draw any conclusions. It was just one game. Let's give it a couple more games and see what it looks like. If you're right, you're right. But the only thing that changed about him is his market value; he was a hold all along.

Kelvin last night was exactly what he was his rookie year, a big receiver who produced a lot of fantasy points despite catching only half his targets. The reason I fade KB is that I don't think those targets continue at that volume if he continues to be that inefficient.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:08 am

dynastyninja wrote:

I dropped Funchess last year, not traded, dropped him. I never saw what other people want him to be. KB gets flack and rightly so because he isn't a natural pass catcher (doesn't have great hands). But he makes up for it with size and athletic ability. He'll have some drops but him being such an overpowering force in the red zone and his TDs make up for it. I'm a believer and don't own him. Cam loves the guy and he's gonna have a huge year.
Are you bragging about dropping Funchess?
Cameron Giles wrote: To put it lightly, dropping Funchess after a productive rookie season isn't very smart.
No. I am just saying I am against the crowd on this one. It certainly looked like the wrong move all offseason and hasn't proven to be right yet. We have high scoring IDP, and I needed the roster spot because we only had 30 spots last year (voted to expand to 35 in the offseason). Just saying I am not a believer as much as a lot of people. I see a glorified TE who is simply too slow to be as relevant as people want him to be.

If I was as shallow at WR as I am at RB I would still have Funchess but I didn't have the need to hold there. I just don't see him as being someone who will ever even be a WR2 and know that is not the common viewpoint right now.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Mefisto
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mefisto » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:18 am

I do agree with you that KB was criminally undervalued going into this year. But that's how the community has always been. It does allow you to capitalize on players after a big injury though.

Not to change the thread but as to Funchess, a "productive rookie season"? Are you serious? He was pretty bad last year and really didn't show me anything to make me think he's going to be productive as an NFLer. He might make a decent TE one day, but WR? I wouldn't bet on it.
12 Team Non-PPR league. 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DL, 1LB, 1DB, 2DL/LB/DB
QB: Brady, Stafford, Mariota, Tannehill
RB: L. Miller, A. Collins, K. Drake, R. Freeman, K. Dixon, D. Foreman, D. Murray, J. Allen, Gore
WR: Hopkins, ARob, S. Diggs, D. Parker, M. Lee, J. Matthews, T. Lockett, D. Pettis, Callaway
TE: T. Kelce, E. Ebron, C. Brate
K: Bailey, Coons, Boswell
DL: D. Hunter, R. Quinn, D. Lawrence
LB: Von Miller, A. Ogletree, B. Wagner T. Edmunds
DB: H. Smith, J. Cyprien, L. Collins
2017 Superbowl Champion

10 Team PPR League. Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 1Superflex, 1Flex, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 3DFlex
QB: Luck, Goff, Trubisky, Prescott, Tannehill
RB: Gurley, Mixon, Barkley, D. Foreman
WR: Kupp, Cooper, C. Davis, Parker, T. Lockett, Kupp, W. Fuller, Sutton, John Brown, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Burton
DL: D. Lawrence, Ogunjobi, Ansah, M. Davenport
LB: L. Kuechly, T. Smith, Kiko Alonso, T. Edmunds, J. Smith, R. Foster
DB: Clinton-Dix, D. James, T. Edmunds, M. Jenkins

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:29 am

Yeah keep piling the hate on for KB until I have acquired him from the doubters.

In most of my leagues he is valued as a mid-WR2 which is about right imo but probably still worth a buy if you have the assets to make a move
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:31 am

maxhyde wrote:Yeah keep piling the hate on for KB until I have acquired him from the doubters.

In most of my leagues he is valued as a mid-WR2 which is about right imo but probably still worth a buy if you have the assets to make a move
Funny, I'm a "hater" I guess but that's what I think he is. A mid wr2.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:43 am

I think the thread is talking about the people that think Funchess is better than him which would make him a WR3 or worse even
In a couple of my leagues he was traded for much less than I thought he was worth
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

TheSpidersFromMars
Starter
Starter

Postby TheSpidersFromMars » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:45 am

He was undervalued before he had his awesome rookie year and before funchess was even on the team. Just something about him that people dont like. His target efficiency will go up this year. He wont ever be super efficient, but it will probably get better once he gets the rust knocked off.
12 team 0.5 ppr 25 man roster: 1 QB 2 WR 2 RB 1 TE 2 WR/RB/TE Flex

QB: Cam, Ryan
RB: Howard , CJA, Ware, Hill, Gio, Smallwood, D. Washington, Ellington, Gillislee, J. Williams
WR: Julio, Hopkins, KB, Cobb, Stills, C. Meredith, M. Mitchell,
TE: Gronk, Bennett, Maxx, Fiedorowicz
DST: Cardinals

Daltanian
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Daltanian » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:07 am

I think he will settle in as a mid-low WR2. Granted he has double digit TD upside, but I don't think the yards or receptions will ever be spectacular. I think his rookie season numbers are the most likely outcome. As others have mentioned, it was one game. Can you guys imagine the reaction if it was Funchess who had the big night?

I'm most curious to see how the offense continues to operate with Kelvin back. Yes they played the Broncos who have a great defense, but if they continue playing the way they did last night, I think their offense is going to regress back to what it was in 2014. Again it was one game, but I think it's quite possible their offense was better when Kelvin was out and Cam had to rely on other guys.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Last edited by Daltanian on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 Team Superflex

QB: R. Wilson, Tannehill
RB: CMC, A. Kamara, A. Ekeler, CEH
WR: D. Adams, M. Thomas, T. Lockett, AJ Green, J. Edelman, L. Fitzgerald
TE: Kittle, J. Cook,

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:08 am

I haven't perceived any distinct trend for 'hate' on KB since his rookie year, before he started playing. Some people don't worship at his altar, but that isn't the same thing as 'hate'.

He was a thousand yarder as a rookie, and other than Olsen he's Cam's favorite target. I don't think he's Megatron, but he's obviously going to be / already is a quality professional football player.

As for Funchess, I think the OP is also overstating his fandom. This all sounds like owner persecution complex
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:15 am

Mefisto wrote:I do agree with you that KB was criminally undervalued going into this year. But that's how the community has always been. It does allow you to capitalize on players after a big injury though.

Not to change the thread but as to Funchess, a "productive rookie season"? Are you serious? He was pretty bad last year and really didn't show me anything to make me think he's going to be productive as an NFLer. He might make a decent TE one day, but WR? I wouldn't bet on it.
31/473/5 in a limited role is productive for a rookie.