What do you think of these Rookie Rankings?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Devil's Advocate
Role Player
Role Player

Re: What do you think of these Rookie Rankings?

Postby Devil's Advocate » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:34 am

Salty Dawg wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
jordanzs wrote:I guess I better retool my strategy & go after David Reed in the 2nd rounds before he gets snatched up!
I'll be honest I had to look up David reed and I play in college FFL's. :wtf:

You didnt hear of David Reed....yet?? :roll:

do ya homework Partna.
:wave:

not suggesting I have him ranked high but he is on the RAdar.

LOL
Every year post draft I sift through EVERY offensive player and Reed never once peeked my interest from college football to his landing spot in Baltimore. Could I be wrong? Hell yes. Am I worried? hell no. :thumbup:
2009/2010 Devil's Dynasty Champion
2010 DLF Veterans Invitational Champion
2010 Beer Drinkers Dynasty Champion
2010 Devil's Dynasty II Champion

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am

I am in the process of reading his analysis. While I respect him for going against the grain, there are some real flaws in his thought process. I am not a huge fan of this QB class outside of Bradford and I am actually more in line with his rankings than most others I see. Overall his rankings are very opionated but not well thought out IMO. His WR rankings are awful...although I agree with LaFell being left off any list :clap:

pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Postby pntgvn2399 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Yeah I am not saying I disagree with all of them but pretty darn close! lol Here were my biggest issues..
#1- Clausen not even on the list and having Crompton who is behind Rivers on the list. The only way Crompton sees the field in his 1st four years is if he is traded, how a guy can recommend to take Crompton over Clausen is beside me. I don't agree with quite a few QB's he has there above Clausen however having Crompton up there is what started it all for me.

When asking him about why here was the response that I got.
1)Clausen ran 3 out of 4 playsfrom the shotgun and therefore was not in a "pro style" offense.
2)The last "pro ready" QB to come out was Brady Quinn.
3)Clausen has already peaked in his career.
4)Clausen is 3rd on the depth chart.

So here were my replies.
1)McCoy, Skelton, Webb, and Tebow did not run in pro style offenses either.
2)Last I checked Clausen is not Quinn. Clausen is going into a far better situation than Quinn ever was.
3)How on earth can you say a guy that is 21 years old and threw for 3700 Yards and had a TD ratio of 7/1 last year has peaked?
4)This is a dynasty league isn't it? Does it really matter where a rookie is on the depth chart before training camp even begins?

Never got an answer back! lol

#2- Mike Williams over Dez Bryant. Is it possible it could end up this way? Maybe, however that is in no possible way worth the risk of passing up Bryant for Williams as the 1st overall WR taken.

#3 Benn and Thomas not even on the list. He has Mike Williams who is penciled in right now as the #2 in TB as his first overall pick. Then he goes and leaves off Benn? His reasoning for leaving them off was because they didn't do much in college last year. Benn had no QB to throw him the ball, and Thomas was a run dominated team. How this translates into being NFL busts is besides me and he could never answer that.

#4 Armanti Edwards before Lafell? I am not high on LaFell like some and am high Edwards, however Edwards right now is projected to be in the slot, MAYBE. He still has to make the transition. Where LaFell is going to more than likely be starting opposite Steve Smith. Could LaFell bust? However can you really suggest taking a QB/WR project over a guy that is going to get the first crack at being the future #1? I couldn't.
12 Team PPR IDP
Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex 3-4-4 D
QB- P. Manning, Wilson, Carr
RB- McCoy, Foster, Ball, Vereen, Tate, Ivory, C. Michael, L Murray
WR- Megatron, Dez, Watkins, Gordon, Cooks, Quick, Nicks, Bowe, Shorts, M Wilson
TE- Cameron, Donnel, Green
DT- Jernigan
DE- Campbell, Vernon, Nincovich, Casey, Griffen
LB- David, Shazier, Smith, Tulloch, McClain, Riley, Collins, Alonzo (IR)
CB- Cason, Sherman, McCourty
S- Pollard, Landry, Chancellor, Mathieu, McDonald

12 Team PPR IDP
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
RB- Lynch, Bernard Vereen, J. Bell, Ivory, Michael, Robinson, L Murray
WR- Julio, Mi. Floyd, Crabtree, Woods, Lee, Nicks
TE- Graham, Green, Wright
DT- Joseph, Donald
DE- Quinn, C Jones, C Johnson, M Johnson, Clemons, Lawrence
LB-Worrilow, Dansby, Levy, Marshall , McClain, Bartu, Mauga, Alonzo (IR), Johnson (IR)
CB- Jospeh, Verner
S- Bethea, Jones, Blanton

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:29 pm

pntgvn2399 wrote:Yeah I am not saying I disagree with all of them but pretty darn close! lol Here were my biggest issues..
#1- Clausen not even on the list and having Crompton who is behind Rivers on the list. The only way Crompton sees the field in his 1st four years is if he is traded, how a guy can recommend to take Crompton over Clausen is beside me. I don't agree with quite a few QB's he has there above Clausen however having Crompton up there is what started it all for me.

1)Clausen ran 3 out of 4 playsfrom the shotgun and therefore was not in a "pro style" offense.

So here were my replies.
2)Last I checked Clausen is not Quinn. Clausen is going into a far better situation than Quinn ever was.
3)How on earth can you say a guy that is 21 years old and threw for 3700 Yards and had a TD ratio of 7/1 last year has peaked?
4)This is a dynasty league isn't it? Does it really matter where a rookie is on the depth chart before training camp even begins?

#2- Mike Williams over Dez Bryant. Is it possible it could end up this way? Maybe, however that is in no possible way worth the risk of passing up Bryant for Williams as the 1st overall WR taken.

#3 Benn and Thomas not even on the list. He has Mike Williams who is penciled in right now as the #2 in TB as his first overall pick. Then he goes and leaves off Benn? His reasoning for leaving them off was because they didn't do much in college last year. Benn had no QB to throw him the ball, and Thomas was a run dominated team. How this translates into being NFL busts is besides me and he could never answer that.

#4 Armanti Edwards before Lafell? I am not high on LaFell like some and am high Edwards, however Edwards right now is projected to be in the slot, MAYBE. He still has to make the transition. Where LaFell is going to more than likely be starting opposite Steve Smith. Could LaFell bust? However can you really suggest taking a QB/WR project over a guy that is going to get the first crack at being the future #1? I couldn't.

He is going on his evaluations. Regardless of situation, sometimes you have to draft on talent alone. I don't even have LaFell on my draft board...By the time I would consider Claussen, he is on another roster. Jake Delhomme isn't a road block but I just don't think Claussen will translate that well into the NFL...simple as that. Talent evaluation. It isn't so severe I wouldn't rank him though. That is out of line. I think Skelton has more upside and is in as good a situation. Joe Webb is a joke on that list...he is listed as WR. I think his WR's are way off!!! At no time either is he saying draft them in this order....they are just his rankings. If I had Mike Williams ranked ahead of Dez (which definitely isn't the case lol) I wouldn't take him before Dez. I would trade back where the value is right.

pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Postby pntgvn2399 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:00 pm

hosler427 wrote:
pntgvn2399 wrote:Yeah I am not saying I disagree with all of them but pretty darn close! lol Here were my biggest issues..

So here were my replies.

He is going on his evaluations. Regardless of situation, sometimes you have to draft on talent alone. I don't even have LaFell on my draft board...By the time I would consider Claussen, he is on another roster. Jake Delhomme isn't a road block but I just don't think Claussen will translate that well into the NFL...simple as that. Talent evaluation. It isn't so severe I wouldn't rank him though. That is out of line. I think Skelton has more upside and is in as good a situation. Joe Webb is a joke on that list...he is listed as WR. I think his WR's are way off!!! At no time either is he saying draft them in this order....they are just his rankings. If I had Mike Williams ranked ahead of Dez (which definitely isn't the case lol) I wouldn't take him before Dez. I would trade back where the value is right.
Jake Delhomme? What does he have to do with Clausen?

As far as the drafting part yes he did say it. He did not say it in the article but he did when I asked about it. He said he thinks those top 3 (Williams, Bryant, Tate) are interchangable. He has taken Williams as high as the #3 pick with both Bryant and Tate on the board. He has also taken Tate ahead of both of the others and the same with Bryant.
12 Team PPR IDP
DT- Jernigan

12 Team PPR IDP
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
DT- Joseph, Donald
LB-Worrilow, Dansby, Levy, Marshall , McClain, Bartu, Mauga, Alonzo (IR), Johnson (IR)
CB- Jospeh, Verner

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:11 pm

pntgvn2399 wrote:
hosler427 wrote:

So here were my replies.

Jake Delhomme? What does he have to do with Clausen?

As far as the drafting part yes he did say it. He did not say it in the article but he did when I asked about it. He said he thinks those top 3 (Williams, Bryant, Tate) are interchangable. He has taken Williams as high as the #3 pick with both Bryant and Tate on the board. He has also taken Tate ahead of both of the others and the same with Bryant.
!@#$#^%@$#^% I was typing Claussen...thinking McCoy lol. My bad. Ok...after hearing all of this...the guy is a moron and I have no respect for him any longer lol. You can rank players however you want but you need to know where the value is also. There is a certain range where you can take a player and taking Mike Williams at 3 is way off. You can have Anthony Dixon as your #1 player in the rookie class but if you take him at #1 you should be sacrificed :lol: :lol:

PS I can't apologize enough for the Delhomme brain fart :D

pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Postby pntgvn2399 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:21 pm

I was sure hoping you were meaning to type McCoy! :D Because if you still thought Delhomme was on the Panthers that would not look to good. lol I agree that there is a difference between "rankings" and where to draft those players. However I asked him to clear it up and he did by saying that he has drafted William and Tate both ahead of Bryant. That was the last straw for me.
12 Team PPR IDP
DT- Jernigan

12 Team PPR IDP
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
DT- Joseph, Donald
CB- Jospeh, Verner

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:15 am

pntgvn2399 wrote:Ok I found this article on another site and absolutely blasted the person that wrote this for not using the same information for all players involved but I wanted to get your thoughts on it. These are dynasty rankings..

QB
1. Sam Bradford
2. Colt McCoy
3. Tim Tebow
4. John Skelton
5. Johnathan Crompton
6. Joe Webb

NOTE: No Jimmy Clausen, the writer would draft all of these guys before Clausen.

RB
1a. Javid Best
1b. Ryan Matthews
3. Ben Tate
4. Montario Hardesty
5. CJ Spiller
6. James Starks
7. Toby Gerhart
8. Anthony Dixon

WR
1a. Mike Williams
1b. Dez Bryant
1c. Golden Tate
4. Dexter McCluster
5. Armanti Edwards
6. Eric Decker
7. Emanuel Sanders
8. David Reed

NOTE: No Benn or Thomas, would draft all of these guys before either of them.. Also no Andre Roberts, Damian Williams, Brandon Lafell ect..

What are your thoughts on these rankings?
I think his rankings are actually not all that far off from mine. His RB rankings match mine exactly. I also don't have Demaryius Thomas on my boards since I think he will be a massive failure.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:43 am

I wouldn't say the rankings are awful outside of the fact that he left off some of the top talents entirely.

I'm no fan of Notre Dame and never was a supporter of Quinn. But Clausen has the tools to be a successful NFL QB. Easily the #2 in this class.

I have yet to run into a good explanation as to why Spiller seems to keep falling behind one RB after another. Though I would still take him as my #1, I at least understand the rationale owners are making in taking either Mathews or Best. But I'll call taking Tate or Hardesty in front of him just what it is - downright lunacy.

I don't favor Demarius Thomas as much as some do, but leaving he and Benn off entirely makes no sense. Both should be in the top 5 WRs.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:39 am

skip wrote:I wouldn't say the rankings are awful outside of the fact that he left off some of the top talents entirely.

I'm no fan of Notre Dame and never was a supporter of Quinn. But Clausen has the tools to be a successful NFL QB. Easily the #2 in this class.

I have yet to run into a good explanation as to why Spiller seems to keep falling behind one RB after another. Though I would still take him as my #1, I at least understand the rationale owners are making in taking either Mathews or Best. But I'll call taking Tate or Hardesty in front of him just what it is - downright lunacy.

I don't favor Demarius Thomas as much as some do, but leaving he and Benn off entirely makes no sense. Both should be in the top 5 WRs.
Even before the draft based on talent alone, I had Spiller as the 4'th best back in this class. The only RB I moved ahead of him based on situation is Montario Hardesty - but I have to admit its a close call between those two. Spiller is going to go the Mcfadden route imo - not enough leg drive or up the middle toughness to make it as a fantasy star. The fact that Spiller went to the fantasy hell that is Buffalo was just the icing on the cake of my negative evaluation of his prospects.

Is Demaryius worth drafting? Yes. Is he in my top 5 WR's this year? NOPE. He is just another big raw WR who may or may not ever do anything in the league. Hell, I think he is the 2nd best rookie WR on his own team this year. I would rather have Eric Decker on my squad - I think he has phenomenal hands and great body control. I would take a flier on Thomas in the 3rd of a rookie draft, but he is being drafted long before that in all the drafts I've seen so far.