Parker vs White

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Parker vs White

Postby doktor » Thu May 21, 2015 5:29 pm

diti51 wrote:Only problem with that is that the one knock on Parker is sloppy feet and route running. He has false steps off the line of scrimmage and telegraphs his routes, which negates his superior length and athleticism.

I am not saying he won't be good in the NFL as he projects similar to Alshon Jeffrey IMO but remember it did take a little while for the light to go on for Alshon.

For me, its not a question of who will have a better NFL career, but White slots immediately into the WR 2 thus letting Alshon draw the number one corner AND there is production to be had with Marshall leaving for NY. Whereas in Miami, there are a lot of mouths to feed with Landry, Jennings, Stills, and addition of Jordan Cameron. I am not arguing merits of either receiver as a crap shoot of upside, but I believe in 2015, White is a safer bet to produce this year than Parker. You may disagree, but there a lot of other guys the Miami Dolphins signed or acquired he will have to compete with initially whereas for White the runway is wide open.

I think its dismissive of the production Landry had in 2014 to say that Parker will become most targeted receiver in Miami. I don't like Stills, but Miami wanted some speed for someone to talk over for what Mike Wallace was supposed to become. Jennings is slow and old but they are paying him so he will still see the field and steal snaps regardless of what we all think of his skill set at this point in his career. That's my case. We can agree to disagree.
A lot of great points; although I'm not sure Jennings is a guaranteed to see the field. Consider, most thought Philbin would be gone after last year. He's on as hot a seat as most any coach in the league right now. They simply need to win or he's out. Jennings does not give them that shot. I see the Jennings acquisition as the organization bringing in a seasoned vet to work with all the younger receivers on training, conditioning, playbook, film room study, leadership, etc. Which imo is very valuable. Probably something Jennings can offer more value with than as a WR on the field on Sundays at this point in his career.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 22, 2015 1:15 am

Kevin White.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 22, 2015 1:19 am

growskey23 wrote:Here's my take shared from another post:

While most do like White (I do as well) I liked what I saw from DeVante Parker while studying film. Now, on the team in my sig I had 1.03 and 1.04 and I took Gordon and Parker, and I'm not second guessing it at all, but I own another 1.04 in a 16 teamer and I may take White if he's available, just based on how my team is made up in each league. Let me try to make a case for Parker, though.

Parker is flying under the radar for many people. They look at his stats from his last year and don't see anything special. But putting up 43/855/5 in 6 games is something you can't ignore. He has velcro hands an really catches everything around him. He high points like a pro already. He is big at 6'3'' and fast. He is the prototypical WR1 that we look for. And you can get him later. If you hold 1.03 you can trade back a spot or two and get him at 1.05 plus a little something so that people can take White. Now, some have said Miami isn't a great landing spot. I completely disagree. I think is the perfect spot, a young offense that is lacking a true WR1 with good enough pieces around him that he won't face a ton of double coverage, if any at all. He has a QB on the rise, where White has a QB and possibly a system working against him. Not that these are big enough to put Parker over White for some, but something to think about. People also say that the Miami WR core is crowded. Cream rises to the top, and Parker is a talent that isn't going to be held down by Jennings or Stills. He will compliment Landry and Cameron and give Miller some open lanes. The Miami offense could absolutely breakout this year.

I completely understand most having White>Parker, but the above reasons and a gut call have it a LOT closer for me than most.

It is close. I like Parker a lot. I think both are different players, and both extremely talented. What puts White over the top for me is his competitive edge. He gives everything he has on every play, and he competitiveness is so intense. Saying that, if I could get a good piece on top of the 1.05 to move back a spot, I'd do it.

growskey23
Captain
Captain

Postby growskey23 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:54 am

I'm not understanding the "Parker isn't going to get touches" argument when comparing to White. He has Alshon, Forte, Bennett, and Royal to share targets with. To me, the next thing I do is look at the QB. In the past, Jay Cutler has been known to lock onto one receiver. Tannehill seems to be able to make the better reads. I think some think that because Fox and Gase were in Denver last year that Chicago will look like that, which I just don't believe it will. Each player has shown reasons for WR1 upside. By the points that I've written out, Parker isn't being treated as such (there isn't a reason he should be going any later than 1.05, but have regularly seen him going in the back half of the first round), which I feel I should voice my opinion on.

ChickenBeaks
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ChickenBeaks » Fri May 22, 2015 3:43 pm

I like White, not because he can near Marshall's stats like i hear so often, but I think he will play the Emmanuel Sanders role for Gase and while his tree will be surely limited to begin, his athleticism and higher ceiling does it for me.

I've got nothing against Parker, but he's in an offense with the underneath routes being taken mostly by Landry, and the top being split with Stills. Great trio to work with to make Tanny better, but I tend to shy away from those situations.
12 Team, PPR
1 Q, 1-2 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-2 TE, K, 1-2 DT, 2 DE, 3-4 LB, 2-3 CB, 2-3 S
Q- Carr, Flacco, Allen
R- Freeman, Guice, L. Miller, Hyde, T.Mont, Foreman, Bredia
W- Hopkins, Cooper, Cobb, Moncrief, Martavis, R.Anderson, TreQuan, J'Mon
T- Kelce, H.Henry, Burton
K- CButker
DT- F. Cox, K. Clark
DE- F. Clark, B. Graham, Golden, Irvin, Takk, C.Harris
LB- J.Houston, Barr, Kerrigan, Judon, B. Martinez
C- Trufant, J. Mills, Tre'Davious
S- Ha-Ha, K. Joseph, Addae, J.Jones

24 Team Devy - 1 Copy
1 Q, 2-4 RB, 2-4 WR, 2-4 TE, 1-3 DT, 1-3 DE, 3-5 LB, 1-3 CB, 1-3 S
Q-Winston, J.Allen, Garoppolo
R-Mixon, J.Williams, A.Jones, J.Jackson, Hines
W-Hilton, P.Richardson, Hurns, Kearse, Gallup, J'Mon, St. Brown, Stuff
TE-OJ, Jonnu, Watson, Stuff
D-Irving, Reader, Hand
DE-Beasley, Barnett, Dunlap, Hughes, Golden
LB-Bradham, L.Floyd, Hitchens, Longacre, A.Williamson
DB-Lattimore, MCCourty, Mitchell, D.Johnson, Trufant, Jaire
S-Derwin,M.Williams, Hooker, Harrison, Reid, Weddle, Berry

kwade7575
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kwade7575 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:53 pm

I see why White is the preferred choice. Like someone else said, his aggressiveness is something to love. It is Dez-like. But my gut feeling is with Parker. He just seems like a pure, natural WR to me. Great hands that just snag the ball out of the air. Reminds me of AJ Green
The Vaders 10-team .5PPR QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Superflex/Flex/Flex
QB - C.Wentz, A. Luck
RB - S. Michel, N. Chubb, R. Jones, D.Murray, S.Ware, B.Powell, Du.Johnson
WR - D.Hopkins, S.Watkins, A.Cooper, M.Lee, D. Parker
TE - Z.Ertz, J. Reed

Saskatchewan Roughriders 16-team .5PPR QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K Orphan 2016
QB - Mitchell Trubisky
RB - L.Fournette, Brian Hill
WR - M.Thomas, J.Doctson, Corey Davis, L.Treadwell, J.Crowder, M.Lee, Zay Jones
TE - Z.Ertz
2018 picks 1,1,2,3

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 23, 2015 12:54 am

kwade7575 wrote:I see why White is the preferred choice. Like someone else said, his aggressiveness is something to love. It is Dez-like. But my gut feeling is with Parker. He just seems like a pure, natural WR to me. Great hands that just snag the ball out of the air. Reminds me of AJ Green
Exactly what I thought.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Tue May 26, 2015 5:14 am

Can't go wrong with either, but my vote is for White. Love the AJG (Parker) and Dez (White) comparisons for both.
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Tue May 26, 2015 6:26 am

Based on a majority of posts in the thread, we can reasonably say:

- The two are viewed/valued very closely, with White taking a slight edge.
- Parker is currently being compared by many to be very "AJG-like" (AJG broke out right from the start of his 1st NFL season).
- White is currently being compared by many to be very "Dez-like" (Dez didn't truly break out until midway through his 3rd NFL season).
- While both need work, it's no secret that White is at this time more raw than Parker.

Does all of this leave open opportunity to capitalize on both? As in, draft Parker now, wait a year or two for the White owner to maximize his frustration; and then swoop in for the buy-low?

Or then again, perhaps all these Dez/AJG references/comps being thrown around are just a big fat bag of wishful thinking by a fantasy community stuck on the historical season of rookie WRs last year?!??? :twisted:

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Tue May 26, 2015 6:56 am

doktor wrote:Based on a majority of posts in the thread, we can reasonably say:

- The two are viewed/valued very closely, with White taking a slight edge.
- Parker is currently being compared by many to be very "AJG-like" (AJG broke out right from the start of his 1st NFL season).
- White is currently being compared by many to be very "Dez-like" (Dez didn't truly break out until midway through his 3rd NFL season).
- While both need work, it's no secret that White is at this time more raw than Parker.

Does all of this leave open opportunity to capitalize on both? As in, draft Parker now, wait a year or two for the White owner to maximize his frustration; and then swoop in for the buy-low?

Or then again, perhaps all these Dez/AJG references/comps being thrown around are just a big fat bag of wishful thinking by a fantasy community stuck on the historical season of rookie WRs last year?!??? :twisted:
That's an interesting question. I feel like if Parker was 2" taller, the AJG comparison would stick alot more. I think he and White both have a great chance to be WR1s this year, but White is more likely to take an extra year or two to break out than Parker I think. This strategy you mention might just be crazy enough to work...

IR:

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Tue May 26, 2015 7:08 am

Team Tacos wrote:I feel like if Parker was 2" taller, the AJG comparison would stick alot more.
Parker is 6'3".
AJG is 6'4".

Does 1" make that much of an impact? To me at least; the AJG comps are based much more on wingspan, catch radius, sticky-as$ hands, catches everything than on height alone.

White is 6'3".
Dez is 6'2".

I think the comps here are more geared towards aggressive style of play, playing angry, more than they are simply a comp on height.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue May 26, 2015 7:26 am

Team Tacos wrote:I think he and White both have a great chance to be WR1s this year
I think even saying they have a chance to be a WR1 is too far, let alone 'great chance'. Heck, if one is a WR1 I would be shocked, let alone BOTH.

Further to the mention of high dreams based on last years class, I think this following suit was fitting.

Be sure to not set expectations too high, or you are bound to be disappointed. Immediate production of that level isn't how the game works, even if you do get a unicorn every blue moon.

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Tue May 26, 2015 7:36 am

FiremanEd wrote:even if you do get a unicorn every blue moon.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Tue May 26, 2015 1:29 pm

doktor wrote:
FiremanEd wrote:even if you do get a unicorn every blue moon.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

IR:

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Tue May 26, 2015 1:31 pm

FiremanEd wrote:
Team Tacos wrote:I think he and White both have a great chance to be WR1s this year
I think even saying they have a chance to be a WR1 is too far, let alone 'great chance'. Heck, if one is a WR1 I would be shocked, let alone BOTH.

Further to the mention of high dreams based on last years class, I think this following suit was fitting.

Be sure to not set expectations too high, or you are bound to be disappointed. Immediate production of that level isn't how the game works, even if you do get a unicorn every blue moon.

IR: