Convince me of Rashod Bateman

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Convince me of Rashod Bateman

Postby stpilots98 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:33 am

I love the talent here, but hate the landing spot for him. I just don't see the upside with him being tied to Mr. Jackson for years. Can he be able to throw outside the numbers consistently enough to produce a top 24 wideout? Convince me there's upside there to get excited.
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex

QB - Fields, Howell, Levis, Rodgers
RB - Montgomery, Dillon, Achane, Ford, Foreman Spears, De. Johnson, Ch. Brown
WR - Di Johnson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Addison, Dell, E. Moore, R. Moore, Pierce, Osborne, Atwell, Reynolds
TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex, SF

QB - Hurts, Fields, Howell, Bridgewater, Wentz, Hoyer
RB - Barkley, Mixon, Dillon, Spears, Foreman, CEH, Murray, Strong
WR - Jefferson, Higgins, Allen, R. Moore, Palmer, MVS, Patrick, Reynolds, Woods, Osborne, Campbell, Raymond
TE - Musgrave, I. Smith, Henry, Washington

2nd

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex, SF

QB - Carr, Garoppolo, Levis, Trubisky, Darnold, Trask, Wentz, Walker
RB - Robinson, Achane, R. Jones, CEH, Kelley, Mitchell, Mason
WR - Adams, Higgins, Wilson, DJM, Brown, Cooks, Boyd, MVS, R. Moore, Boutte
TE - Kinkaid, Knox, Conklin

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Convince me of Rashod Bateman

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:37 am

If you love the talent it should be just that

Thinking otherwise is how you pass on AJ Brown because he's "tied to an awful low volume passing offense with Marcus Mariota" for Parris "Frank Reich and Andrew Luck's new favorite toy" Campbell

Or fade Stefon Diggs because he's stuck with "awful passer on a low volume offense" Josh Allen

Situations change fast

stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Postby stpilots98 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:52 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:37 am If you love the talent it should be just that

Thinking otherwise is how you pass on AJ Brown because he's "tied to an awful low volume passing offense with Marcus Mariota" for Parris "Frank Reich and Andrew Luck's new favorite toy" Campbell

Or fade Stefon Diggs because he's stuck with "awful passer on a low volume offense" Josh Allen

Situations change fast
Very true and that's what I'm afraid of. But, I never thought Mariota would last long after the Tannehill trade and I always loved Josh Allen's arm, which was never an issue. Lamar isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

WR - Di Johnson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Addison, Dell, E. Moore, R. Moore, Pierce, Osborne, Atwell, Reynolds
TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

WR - Jefferson, Higgins, Allen, R. Moore, Palmer, MVS, Patrick, Reynolds, Woods, Osborne, Campbell, Raymond

2nd

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:17 pm

I think he has the talent to succeed but the landing spot is tough. If you own him already, he is well worth a hold and see and if you dont own him, I dont think you go out of your way to acquire. Time will tell but the talent is there.

jtk1234
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jtk1234 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:46 am

Talent is obvious so I won’t expound on that.

The idea that Jackson is a bad passer is a falsehood he is a year removed from leading the league in passing touchdowns and he was 7th last year.

He will never be a high volume passer but I think he can sustain a #1 alpha receiver which is what they drafted Bateman to be, someone has to catch touchdowns this season and it isn’t going to be Gus Edwards.

Jackson is actually an efficient passer, I think Baltimore is going to keep its identity as a running team but I do think they get more balanced.
Jackson, J Hurts, K Mond
Singletary, Cohen, R Stevenson, Hubbard, Jackson, Rountree, K Ngwangu, T Jones Jr
Claypool, Sutton, Golladay, AB, Pittman, Bateman, Gage, Kirk, Miller
Higbee, Jarwin, McKitty, B Jordan

Picks: '22 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,4 '23 1,1,2,2,3,4

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:10 am

stpilots98 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:52 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:37 am If you love the talent it should be just that

Situations change fast
Very true and that's what I'm afraid of. But, I never thought Mariota would last long after the Tannehill trade and I always loved Josh Allen's arm, which was never an issue. Lamar isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.
Yep. Even if they take the Cousins route, which I think is very possible, he has 2 years left on his rookie deal, then a year or two of a franchise tag. So probably 4 years away from anything changing, at a minimum. If they give him gobs of money guaranteed (which IMO is a mistake), it could be even longer. Not a good outlook for Bateman's rookie deal, pretty much.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Postby stpilots98 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:10 am

jtk1234 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:46 am Talent is obvious so I won’t expound on that.

The idea that Jackson is a bad passer is a falsehood he is a year removed from leading the league in passing touchdowns and he was 7th last year.

He will never be a high volume passer but I think he can sustain a #1 alpha receiver which is what they drafted Bateman to be, someone has to catch touchdowns this season and it isn’t going to be Gus Edwards.

Jackson is actually an efficient passer, I think Baltimore is going to keep its identity as a running team but I do think they get more balanced.
He’s an efficient passer inside the numbers. If Bateman plays the slot consistently he will produce decent numbers, but he’s running with Andrew’s. If you watch a good amount of Baltimore games you can clearly see he can’t stretch the field with his arm outside. This unfortunately caps him. Total td’s passes is great, but any wideout in that offense needs 10+ td’s to compensate for the lack of yardage imo.

TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

2nd

jtk1234
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jtk1234 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:08 pm

stpilots98 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:10 am
jtk1234 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:46 am Talent is obvious so I won’t expound on that.

He’s an efficient passer inside the numbers. If Bateman plays the slot consistently he will produce decent numbers, but he’s running with Andrew’s. If you watch a good amount of Baltimore games you can clearly see he can’t stretch the field with his arm outside. This unfortunately caps him. Total td’s passes is great, but any wideout in that offense needs 10+ td’s to compensate for the lack of yardage imo.
Do you think that is a product of arm talent, or the actual pass catching talent he has had around him to this point? I'd argue it is the latter with Marquise Brown really being the only legit deep target he has had to throw to and the Ravens employing a more conservative passing game around him in terms of play calling.

In 2019 he actually averaged a very respectable 7.8 YPA (would've been top 12), and a YPCompletion of 11.8 (tied for 9th). Basically it means he was in the top half of passers both in value of each throw (YPA) as well as the play calling being skewed towards more downfield throws (YPC) when he did pass.

2020 was obviously a regression from that, but it doesn't mean he can't support a deep threat, I just think it means that the Ravens played to their strength last year more often which was the run game.

But the fact that they invested in a talent like Bateman, and also went out and got a free agent WR who has a career YPC of 14.5 in Watkins leads me to believe that they want to air it out more whether or not Dobbins was on the field. Now with weaker depth at RB I see them taking shots way more often, especially once Bateman gets healthy.

Jackson has said repeatedly that he is not just a run first QB, he wants to be known as a skilled passer as well, I think he has that mentality that leads to him accomplishing this.
Jackson, J Hurts, K Mond
Singletary, Cohen, R Stevenson, Hubbard, Jackson, Rountree, K Ngwangu, T Jones Jr
Claypool, Sutton, Golladay, AB, Pittman, Bateman, Gage, Kirk, Miller
Higbee, Jarwin, McKitty, B Jordan

Picks: '22 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,4 '23 1,1,2,2,3,4