Who emerges as starting material?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Zhoward88
Starter
Starter

Who emerges as starting material?

Postby Zhoward88 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:29 am

Take your guess.

Doaks, Chris Evans, Elijah Mitchell, Larry rountree or Herbert. Rank these fliers and list reasons why you do or don’t like their chances.

Doaks has least draft capital in front of him and has the build and size. Plus Flores could follow NE footsteps and utilize a late rounder like a green-Ellis.

Chris Evans has size and speed with very little wear on the wheels. Watched him at Michigan and he always impressed me it seemed. Mixon is locked as starter. Needs injury to be discussed.

Mitchell has several in front but good build, good college production and system fits with shanahan willing to utilize several players.

Rountree is the most interesting to me overall. He comes off as hard to get down, tricky speed, and good hands. Ekeler has not been super healthy lately and the other RBs are not tantalizing by any means. But he’s Literally a tank.

Herbert has great speed and vision, which Is good combo but several players in front of him too. Doesn’t mean anything besides “who knows”.

How do you rank these guys?
10 team league....16 offensive keepers selected by April first. 28 man rosters during the season. 1 keeper defense and 1 keeper kicker.

.5 ppr, TE premium +.5, .2 return yards, big play bonuses, 4 team playoffs and 2 week super bowl (wk 15,16).
Start 1 QB 6 pt passing TD, 2 RBs, 3 WR, 1 flex, 1 TE.

QBs- Dak P
RBs- miles sanders, CEH, Najee Harris, Antonio gibson, James robinson, Boston Scott, qadree ollison, eno Benjamin, Sony michel, kerryon Johnson, gerrid Doaks, Larry rountree,
WRs- Brandon aiyuk, shenault, Adam thielen, Antonio brown, kadarius Toney, Jacobi Meyers, Dwayne eskridge, jalen Darden.

TEs- Goedert, fant, Hayden hurst, Dan Arnold, Donald parham
Kicker- koo

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Who emerges as starting material?

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:24 am

rountree has the most chance without needing an injury, so i'd have him over the others.

all the others would need an injury or two to get serious playing time. mitchell is in the best backfield, so he's second in line. then i like evans more than herbert as a player, and he also has a better chance at being the second RB on his team (perine and williams aren't great competition, imo).

i haven't watched much of doaks, but gaskin and brown should definitely be ahead of him.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:46 am

I’d immediately toss out Doaks and Herbert. I don’t think either good is good enough athletically to do any more than be depth on a roster for a couple of years at best. They were good enough in college but I don’t see how either guy gets any kind of really meaningful transfer to the the next level.

I’m a big Mitchell fan and believe that after the smoke clears that he might be the best RB on the SF roster for the system that they run and for what Shanahan wants out of a RB. It may take some time to get sorted out but I’m a believer.

I like Rountree better than Evans for the 2nd spot, but that’s because I see his game as being a nice fit for what he does as part of a RBBC. I’m not sure how Evans shakes out because I do believe there is some untapped ability there that he couldn’t expose in the mess Harbaugh has created at Michigan, but I can’t find a way to quantify it, so I’m really torn on his potential. There may be some real opportunity sitting there in CIN.

I’d put them this way:

1) Mitchell

2) Rountree
3) Evans

4/5) Doaks/Herbert

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:44 am

mitchell has higher upside, agreed. but rountree could/should "emerge" earlier.

for what it's worth, in a non-ppr league where i had no picks in the first two rounds, i ended up with: mitchell (3.04), herbert (3.10), evans (4.01), rountree (4.05), patterson (5.12). i took herbert before the others because i was fairly sure they'd last until my later picks and he wouldn't, he had a bit more hype back in may iirc, or was just higher on the rankings.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:15 am

Evans for two reasons:

(1) He's the best player on that list.
(2) He'll probably start the year with ~30% touches. If Mixon goes down, it'll be a lot more than that.

Disclaimer: I'm a big Evans fan. I have a lot of shares.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:14 am

I think only rountree has a chance to make an impact without needing any injuries.

Gaskin and Ahmed did great jobs when they were on the field. There's no easy road for Doaks.

Mixon is a workhorse and he has Perine behind him who played well last season when called upon due to injury and the coaches said he will take a heavier workload this season.

Mitchell has every man and his dog ahead of him at the whiners. Long road ahead unless they all get injured, which in the end might be the easiest road ahead for any of these rbs. Whiner rbs sure know how to get injured after a game or two. But there are so many of them that by the time it's Mitchell's turn to have a go mostert will be healthy enough to start again.

Herbert has Montgomery and Williams ahead of him and Cohen will always be there for Nagy to screw up the offense's groove by throwing him in there with no rhyme or reason, but just because.

Taxi squad for all of them.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:25 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:15 am Evans for two reasons:

(1) He's the best player on that list.
(2) He'll probably start the year with ~30% touches. If Mixon goes down, it'll be a lot more than that.

Disclaimer: I'm a big Evans fan. I have a lot of shares.
I also think Evans is the best prospect on the list and while Mixon could be a workhorse, that is yet to be seen. We have heard that for years now.