Higbee or Everett in TE premium league

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Which is the better TE to own in a TE premium league?

Higbee
67%
Everett
33%

Total votes: 12

Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

Higbee or Everett in TE premium league

Postby Wizard » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 am

So now that Everett has signed with Seattle and looks to be their TE1 that leaves Higbee as the Rams TE1, which one is the one you'd like to have on your team and why?
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Higbee or Everett in TE premium league

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 am

Higbee is a bit safer based on what we have seen in the past and he knows the system well. I would lean him, but I don't expect a ton from either. Everett has the upside, but not sure if you puts it all together.

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:11 pm

I'm not particularly high on either of these guys, but I'd probably take a flier on Everett between the two.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:31 am

Higbee doesn't have a high ceiling but I am not sure Everett will ever be a true #1 TE. I think they platoon TE in SEA.
16 Team PPR (11th Year Dynasty - Former 2 Time Champion)
P. Mahomes, Z. Wilson
C. McCaffrey, N. Harris, C. Hubbard
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, D. Johnson, G. Davis, D. Mims, J. Palmer
D. Waller, C. Kmet, B. Jordan

C. Young, R. Quinn
D. Leonard, M. Milano, C. Mosely, B. Okereke, J. Davis
J. Simmons, J. Fuller

Picks - 1.01, 2.12, 3.01, 3.15, 4.14

16 Team PPR (10th Year Dynasty - Reigning 5 Time Champion)
A. Rodgers, J. Fields
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Dobbins, M. Davis
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Green, T. Johnson, Dy. Brown, G. Pickens, J. Tolbert,
N. Fant, A. Okwugbunam, J. Harris
J. Elliott

D. Lawrence, R. Quinn, T. Hendrickson
R. Smith, B. Okereke, L. Wilson, J. Davis, D. Tranquil, B. Asamoah
J. Simmons, W. Harris

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:17 am

failblazer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:31 am Higbee doesn't have a high ceiling but I am not sure Everett will ever be a true #1 TE. I think they platoon TE in SEA.
You're probably right. But I'm hoping Everett can fill that oversized slot role. His YAC is near elite. Higbee won't be a top passing option at LA either with Cupp/Woods still there plus feeding Akers 20+ touches a game.

They're pretty similar. Everett's 26 he has a chance to take a leap forward where as we've already seen the best of Higbee.

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am

halfbaked88 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:17 am
failblazer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:31 am Higbee doesn't have a high ceiling but I am not sure Everett will ever be a true #1 TE. I think they platoon TE in SEA.
You're probably right. But I'm hoping Everett can fill that oversized slot role. His YAC is near elite. Higbee won't be a top passing option at LA either with Cupp/Woods still there plus feeding Akers 20+ touches a game.

They're pretty similar. Everett's 26 he has a chance to take a leap forward where as we've already seen the best of Higbee.
That's fair. Higbee has settled in as a very unexciting option as a back end TE1. Everett offers theoretical upside to be more than that, I just don't see him suddenly breaking out in year 5.
P. Mahomes, Z. Wilson

C. Young, R. Quinn
J. Simmons, J. Fuller

A. Rodgers, J. Fields
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Green, T. Johnson, Dy. Brown, G. Pickens, J. Tolbert,
J. Elliott

J. Simmons, W. Harris

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 am

failblazer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am

That's fair. Higbee has settled in as a very unexciting option as a back end TE1. Everett offers theoretical upside to be more than that, I just don't see him suddenly breaking out in year 5.
Why not?
Logan Thomas just had a breakout in his 5th year on his 4th NFL team. Tight end is where late breakouts are more likely to happen vs any other position.

Even elite prospects take 2-3 years to be fantasy effective.

Everett started as a basketball player in highschool, only grew to 6'3" and transitioned to football. He wasn't a great blocker coming into the NFL - which probably kept him off the field at first in McVays run-heavy Todd Gurley offense.

His blocking has improved in the last 2 years. He's going to Seattle where Shane Waldron is the OC, formerly the tight ends coach in LA and was with Everett for 4 years. He knows exactly who the player is and how to use him.

It's a boost in confidence in a player when a new coach brings in a player specifically. It tells me he wants to use him.

For that reason I like his floor - and as we both agree, the upside is there.

Going to catch passes from arguably a top 3 QB in Russell Wilson also helps vs Bottom half QB Jared Goff- especially in the redzone.

Right now you can get Everett for much cheaper than Higbee. For me that means I get to gamble a high upside TE for cheap and be confident he's going to be involved.

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:29 pm

halfbaked88 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 am
failblazer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am

Why not?
Logan Thomas just had a breakout in his 5th year on his 4th NFL team. Tight end is where late breakouts are more likely to happen vs any other position.

Even elite prospects take 2-3 years to be fantasy effective.

Everett started as a basketball player in highschool, only grew to 6'3" and transitioned to football. He wasn't a great blocker coming into the NFL - which probably kept him off the field at first in McVays run-heavy Todd Gurley offense.

His blocking has improved in the last 2 years. He's going to Seattle where Shane Waldron is the OC, formerly the tight ends coach in LA and was with Everett for 4 years. He knows exactly who the player is and how to use him.

It's a boost in confidence in a player when a new coach brings in a player specifically. It tells me he wants to use him.

For that reason I like his floor - and as we both agree, the upside is there.

Going to catch passes from arguably a top 3 QB in Russell Wilson also helps vs Bottom half QB Jared Goff- especially in the redzone.

Right now you can get Everett for much cheaper than Higbee. For me that means I get to gamble a high upside TE for cheap and be confident he's going to be involved.
Thomas took that long to break out because he was converting from QB. Maybe I am wrong, I just don't see some massive explosion from Everett. His ceiling is probably a notch above Higbee but I don't think he'll get there all of a sudden.
P. Mahomes, Z. Wilson

C. Young, R. Quinn
J. Simmons, J. Fuller

A. Rodgers, J. Fields
J. Elliott

J. Simmons, W. Harris

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:33 pm

I took some time to look into some late breakouts.
(Call it 700+ yds or 10+TDs)

Basically elite dynasty TE's breakout in their 2nd year. This is where you find Gronk, Kittle, Kelce, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham etc. The kind of elite TE that gives you 5+ "breakout" seasons over their career.

The list of 3rd year breakout TEs and beyond is pretty hit or miss

3rd year
Eric Ebron
Jared Cook
Julius Thomas
Jordan Reed
Tyler Eifert
Coby Fleener
Charles Clay

4th year
Vernon Davis
Austin Hooper
Tyler Higbee
Darren Waller
Jermichael Finley

5th+ year breakouts
Heath Miller
Mercedes lewis
Martellus Bennett
Greg Olsen
Kyle Rudolph
Dennis Pitta
Ben Watson
Delanie Walker

I'm not saying Everett's going to join long lasting elite dynasty TE tier. But a breakout season from him this year is not impossible. Looking around at the very bleak top heavy TE nature of the fantasy football I think he's worth a shot.

I am a little biased though my TEs are pretty bad given the 16 team TE premium format.

If he can put up 500yds and 5 or 6 TDs I'd be super happy with it for the price I paid. Same goes for OJ Howard.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:26 am

I think I would prefer Higbee here.

Russ has never struck me as a guy that targets his TE much, and Seattle seems to be intent on returning to their run first, low volume passing offense ways.

People seem to constantly be chasing Seattle's TE and it never really pays off other than the year where Jimmy Graham had a really high TD percentage.

Higbee isn't particularly exciting either but with Stafford coming to town and Everett leaving there could be some targets to go around. People have been talking about a late career breakout for Everett but why not for Higbee? Higbee has only been in the league a year longer than Everett. He kind of reminds me of Kyle Rudolph right before boring decent floor Rudolph randomly put up that top 5 TE season in his 6th year.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert