Alshon and Tate

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Alshon and Tate

Postby MFundercover » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:07 am

Both players are in similar situations. Do you like either of them to catch on somewhere and get back in to WR3 territory?

Alshon has looked washed to me, and has had a long list of injuries in his career. I think Tate can still play, but all of the young WRs coming in to the league over the past couple years are forcing him out.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Alshon and Tate

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:57 am

Zero interest

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 am

These are the kinds of guys I love adding to my roster. You can likely get both at very cheap prices, and you can add them as depth. If they go somewhere and get buried on the depth chart then you can drop them with little loss, but if they work their way into being a team’s WR2 or even WR3 for a team with a prolific passing game, they can be viable FF WR3s and bye week fillers.

These kinds of vets always seem to get overlooked for what can be very solid value in dynasty.

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:18 am

Crazier things have happened, but I really don’t see them becoming fantasy relevant
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:43 am

Yeah I've had no interest in either the past 2 years... Could they hit WR3 numbers? Very unlikely (especially for Alshon imo) and I'd rather take a shot on rookies or waiver fodder. Unless your league is deep, has a lot of starters and you're a competing team, I just don't see it

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:12 am

Totally league dependent for me. In shallower leagues, Alshon and Tate will be worthless to me. In leagues where I have very good WR depth, I'll be able to ignore them. In deep leagues and/or leagues where Hollywood Brown or D Parker is my WR2, I'll probably have veterans like Alshon or Tate on my roster.

e.g. in my league listed in my sig, I wouldn't pause to consider these guys. In my 14-team and 16-team leagues, I'll probably late-round target Tate, and maybe Alshon depending on where he lands.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:28 am

We're in a real slow time of year, aren't we?

Both will sign a short deal and be on some team. I may pick one up to fill in for a bye or rash of injuries. That's about all the thought they'll get from me.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:39 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:28 am We're in a real slow time of year, aren't we?

Exactly lol. But you need those WR3s. Someone to fill in when one of your studs is on a bye and the other is out 2 weeks with turf toe to keep the ship afloat.

And to be fair to Tate, he was a pretty good fantasy player in 2019. The Giants wanted to make the Slayton thing happen in 2020 and he suffered. If he goes to a contending team less interested in developing young WRs and more interested in winning he could get back to 2019 form imo.

Alshon is more of a long shot. Hes been held back by I juries basically every year of his career and they look to be catching up. But hes still not that old so I'm not sure if hes worth rostering.

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:04 pm

I don’t think either will carry value outside of the deepest of leagues. Between the two, I’d guess ayate probably has some tread left on his tires as a slot man. I could see him catching on somewhere and carving out a role, but it’s a long shot.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:19 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 am These are the kinds of guys I love adding to my roster. You can likely get both at very cheap prices, and you can add them as depth. If they go somewhere and get buried on the depth chart then you can drop them with little loss, but if they work their way into being a team’s WR2 or even WR3 for a team with a prolific passing game, they can be viable FF WR3s and bye week fillers.
Everything you wrote, except the opposite.

These are roster cloggers, and should be avoided by all but the juggernaut contenders in Dynasty. They won't appreciate in value, and the opportunity cost of owning them is the roster space you might have spent speculating on an asset that might gain value, and help you improve your team in the long run.

If you're at the end of your contention window and need a warm body to fill a space, then these are your guys. For any other owner though - you should be trying to find guys that will still be in the league in 2 years.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:31 am

To be clear these are obviously bottom of the roster guys. In my league, its a choice of rostering Golden Tate or Hakeem Butler type.

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:48 am

MFundercover wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:31 am To be clear these are obviously bottom of the roster guys. In my league, its a choice of rostering Golden Tate or Hakeem Butler type.
My strategy before our league’s rookie draft is to roster guys who situation can unexpectedly improve quickly, and If it doesn’t I just cut for rookie when I make my pick.. So, I guess I’d prefer Tate for now.

After that, give me Butler, I’d rather chase very unlikely to hit upside, than chase unlikely to hit bye week filler
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:59 am

mild wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:19 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 am These are the kinds of guys I love adding to my roster. You can likely get both at very cheap prices, and you can add them as depth. If they go somewhere and get buried on the depth chart then you can drop them with little loss, but if they work their way into being a team’s WR2 or even WR3 for a team with a prolific passing game, they can be viable FF WR3s and bye week fillers.
Everything you wrote, except the opposite.

These are roster cloggers, and should be avoided by all but the juggernaut contenders in Dynasty. They won't appreciate in value, and the opportunity cost of owning them is the roster space you might have spent speculating on an asset that might gain value, and help you improve your team in the long run.

If you're at the end of your contention window and need a warm body to fill a space, then these are your guys. For any other owner though - you should be trying to find guys that will still be in the league in 2 years.
I guess it depends on roster sizes and starting requirements. If your 10 team league has tight rosters and only starts 2 WRs, I’d agree with your thoughts here. In our 14 team IDP league we carry 45 actives and can start up to 4 WRs. These older guys that can be rostered for next to nothing can have impact if they land in the right spot or catch a break on injured teammates.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:15 am

I finally dropped Alshon last season. I'm not convinced he plays more than 8 games in a season the rest of his career. His body seems to be breaking down a bit. Very talented receiver in his prime.

Tate, I think he'd be worth a buy for really cheap, but I'd hate to have to count on him in any capacity for my team.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:17 am

I would think if a league is 14 x 25+ offense players, these guys would already be rostered... I was thinking this was more of a "do you think these guys are worth picking off waivers" in which case you'd think some younger flyer options are also out there.

Tate and Alshon are both rostered in my leagues over guys like Coutee, A. Miller, Trequan, Guyton, James Washington, Peoples-Jones. I'd rather any of those names over Tate/Alshon