Mecole or Campbell

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Hardman or Campbell

Mecole
61%
Parris
39%

Total votes: 18

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Mecole or Campbell

Postby MFundercover » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:19 am

I own both players in separate leagues, and I'm not sure who is ahead of the other. During the offseason, the majority would have said Mecole, and that seems to have shifted after week 1. While it's obviously Campbell right now, long term I'm not sure.

Campbell pros: Already flex viable, should have a starting role secure.

Cons: Has done less with his NFL opportunities than Hardman. Long term questions at quarterback.

Mecole pros: Tied to the best offense and QB, produced more in the NFL, could be the #2 WR in 2021. Will have two full seasons under his belt at age 23, to Campbells 0.

Cons: May never be more than a special teams and offensive gadget player.

When I add it all up, I still think I would take Mecole if he becomes the #2 in KC, though Campbell is much safer.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Mecole or Campbell

Postby Gator Sens » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:46 am

I like Campbell more this season, but it's a toss up between the two long term. I still like Hardman being tied to Mahomes. Hopefully he starts seeing more snaps/targets.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:59 pm

And there goes Campbells knee. Hes only underwhelmed in the opportunities hes had and get injured. If he goes out in back to back seasons that's a huge black mark.

Mecoles opportunities have beenlimited, but hes done nothing but produce with them.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm

Still Campbell--he hasn't really underwhelmed when healthy and has shown more of a chance of being a consistent fantasy producer than Hardman ever has

Hardman will be a great special teams/gadget/field stretcher but unless Tyreek gets into trouble there isn't much for him here

He just isn't that kind of player

Imo the Chiefs will draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round next year

Of the two I wouldn't be expecting much from either though

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:25 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm Still Campbell--he hasn't really underwhelmed when healthy and has shown more of a chance of being a consistent fantasy producer than Hardman ever has

Hardman will be a great special teams/gadget/field stretcher but unless Tyreek gets into trouble there isn't much for him here

Campbell hasnt underwhelmed? What has he done with his opportunities in 2 seasons, and what has Mecole done with his?

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:03 am

MFundercover wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:25 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm Still Campbell--he hasn't really underwhelmed when healthy and has shown more of a chance of being a consistent fantasy producer than Hardman ever has

Campbell hasnt underwhelmed? What has he done with his opportunities in 2 seasons, and what has Mecole done with his?
You said underwhelmed and get injured. Pick one: do you count getting injured as underwhelming?

If not then no he hasn't underwhelmed--just gotten hurt

As for Hardman, he has done well in his niche--his niche just isn't a particularly useful one for fantasy like it is for Andy Reid and has shown no signs of expanding (even when Watkins has been hurt or when they had the option to let Watkins walk in the offseason)

Pretty much every knock on him from before--unrefined, lack of a route tree, inability to be a complete receiver--remains a valid concern

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:03 am

You said underwhelmed and get injured. Pick one: do you count getting injured as underwhelming?

As for Hardman, he has done well in his niche--his niche just isn't a particularly useful one for fantasy like it is for Andy Reid and has shown no signs of expanding (even when Watkins has been hurt or when they had the option to let Watkins walk in the offseason)

Pretty much every knock on him from before--unrefined, lack of a route tree, inability to be a complete receiver--remains a valid concern
Campbell has underwhelmed in the opportunities hes had. In two seasons his best games have been 5/25, 5/53, 6/71. And that's it. Nothing else even close to those, and I would call those fantasy stat lines underwhelming. Compare those to Hardmans best games. Even Mecoles last game (week 2) was as good as Campbells best ones.

I certainly would have resigned Watkins coming off of that super bowl performance.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:22 am

MFundercover wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 am

Campbell has underwhelmed in the opportunities hes had. In two seasons his best games have been 5/25, 5/53, 6/71. And that's it. Nothing else even close to those, and I would call those fantasy stat lines underwhelming. Compare those to Hardmans best games. Even Mecoles last game (week 2) was as good as Campbells best ones.

I certainly would have resigned Watkins coming off of that super bowl performance.
You realize those aren't bad performances for a rookie right?

There just aren't enough of them (because of injury)

And yes--I know Hardman has broken off a few chunk plays. That wasn't my skepticism of him

As I said I don't really expect much of either but Campbell has a better chance of being someone you can start with any degree of confidence

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:28 am

over the course of a 16 game season

5-25=80-400
5-53=80-848
6-71=96-1,136

his 3 games over the course of a season

16-149=85-794

obviously 5-25 isnt good, but the other 2 games are definitely not underperforming and considering those are his 1st 3 games it's a rather positive indicator 85-794 as a rookie is definitely above average.

PBFalcon
Starter
Starter

Postby PBFalcon » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:00 am

jjleurquin wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:28 am

over the course of a 16 game season

5-25=80-400
5-53=80-848
6-71=96-1,136

his 3 games over the course of a season

16-149=85-794

obviously 5-25 isnt good, but the other 2 games are definitely not underperforming and considering those are his 1st 3 games it's a rather positive indicator 85-794 as a rookie is definitely above average.
I have appreciated reading this debate. For me I still come down as wanting Mecole. It's his upside and being tied to Mahomes that get me. Parris has Rivers and who knows after that. I also think that Mecole has far out produced Campbell when given the opportunity, and a bigger opportunity is coming for both and Mecole will make a bigger impact with his.
10 team dynasty began 2016
Standard scoring (no PPR, all TDs 6pts)
Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 Def

2018 2nd
2019 2nd
2020 CHAMP
2021 2nd
2022 *co-champ...yuck

QB: P Mahomes
RB: J Taylor, T Etienne, D Swift, B Robinson Jr, J Mixon, J Gibbs, Z Charbonnet, R Johnson, J Wilson
WR: J Jefferson, J Chase, J Waddle, DK Metcalf, J Addison, T Dell, J Downs, M Williams, K Toney, , C Claypool
TE: K Pitts, G Kittle
K: Stream
Def: SF

2024 picks: 1 (early/mid), 1 ,2 3 (early/mid), 3, 4, 5, 6

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Mecole continues to take advantage of his opportunities while Campbell continues to underwhelm and get injured.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:01 pm

MFundercover wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:38 pm Mecole continues to take advantage of his opportunities while Campbell continues to underwhelm and get injured.
He still hasn't underwhelmed while healthy. Saying it again and again doesn't make it true

But this was the first time I saw Hardman as a potential fantasy starter

I think I'd lean his way at this point

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:02 pm

I see the potential with Campbell, I just see so much more with Hardman. He's shown more and continues to show it.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:02 pm

MFundercover wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:02 pm I see the potential with Campbell, I just see so much more with Hardman. He's shown more and continues to show it.
He looks like Tyreek lite

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Campbell has WAY better size and looks like more of a polished receiver than Hardman despite hardly playing.
That being said, Hardman is staying healthy building rapport with Patrick Mahomes to go along with his blazing speed. Campbell may be a 1-for-1 better player but that kind of role produces big fantasy points.