Flag Plant: Montgomery trajectory will exceed that of Josh Jacobs

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Flag Plant: Montgomery trajectory will exceed that of Josh Jacobs

Postby jordanzs » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:31 am

LOL I remember this post. Good on you for sticking to your guns. It's fun to look at all the misfiring crystal balls that others possessed.

Who knows what will happen next year, but if Montgomery keeps his momentum going & wins people championships, that's worth its weight in gold.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:20 am

Not sure about Jacobs but Montgomery has more fantasy points in standard, PPR and half PPR, more total yards, rushing yards, rush TDs and total TDs than Miles Sanders--along with an RB1 finish (and he stats wise the categories can grow to include receiving ones if we just include this season)

Might be time to reconsider how each is valued (bust, trash, JAG, etc vs future stud, how can anyone not be wowed by him or "early 2nd/late 1st" vs "2 early 1sts minimum"
Last edited by StripesOfKC on Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:55 pm

I’m going to throw my hat into this ring now that my opinion appears to be the minority.

Monty is currently an above average JAG on a hot streak.. not unlike Mike Davis this year, and will struggle to sustain this success once he’s competing for touches with Tarik Cohen again and not Cordarrell Patterson and Ryan Nall

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:55 pm I’m going to throw my hat into this ring now that my opinion appears to be the minority.

Monty is currently an above average JAG on a hot streak.. not unlike Mike Davis this year, and will struggle to sustain this success once he’s competing for touches with Tarik Cohen again and not Cordarrell Patterson and Ryan Nall
Efficiency Stats for 2020

Montgomery: 4.5 YPA, 8.1 YPR, 6.1 Y/Target, 5.1 Yards/Touch, 75.4% Catch Rate

Jacobs: 3.7 YPA, 7.2 YPR, 5.7 Y/Target, 4.1 Yards/Touch, 78.6% Catch Rate

Sanders: 5.4 YPA, 7.1 YPR, 3.7 Y/Target, 5.7 Yards/Touch, 52.2% Catch Rate

If he's just a JAG propped up on volume what are Sanders and Jacobs?
Last edited by StripesOfKC on Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:28 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:55 pm I’m going to throw my hat into this ring now that my opinion appears to be the minority.

Cohen will be coming back from an ACL injury next season and they weren't using him much recently when he was healthy.

As always, lost in these discussions is the changes the Bears offensive line has made that have actually worked, and allowed Montgomery a chance to play at this level. So, if we assume those changes carry over into 2021, then Montgomery may be the real deal.

But otherwise, I tend to lean towards your conclusion that he's an above-average RB on a hot streak. Not quite DeVonta Freeman, but not Zac Stacy.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:02 pm

I think JAG is a strong term for Montgomery. He's not elite, but I'm not sure I call Jacobs or Sanders that either.

Montgomery is an above average RB in a high volume based situation. Cohen will eat into a bit, but not that much. Paterson and Nall should get much closer to 0 touches next season, so there's still room for monty to get 15-20 touches and Cohen to get 5-10 as well, which is right in line with his historical usage.

Monty really hasn't done a ton in the passing game with Cohen out, despite being decent in that department. Cohen will come back in and handle this role, so it will limit Monty's upside.

He's a high upside RB2 and has pretty much proven it.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:07 pm

Tarik Cohen is a free agent after this season, so keep that in mind. I'd think they'll bring him back, by you never know if another team makes him a bigger offer than Chicago wants to match.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:07 pm Tarik Cohen is a free agent after this season, so keep that in mind. I'd think they'll bring him back, by you never know if another team makes him a bigger offer than Chicago wants to match.
Cohen owners can only hope

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:30 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:07 pm Tarik Cohen is a free agent after this season, so keep that in mind. I'd think they'll bring him back, by you never know if another team makes him a bigger offer than Chicago wants to match.
No he's not, they extended him earlier this year, he's signed through 2024.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:45 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:30 pm
Rotoworld is way behind then.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:19 pm

I stated this before the season and its happened again. Last year Monty tied Josh jacobs for broken tackles. Best among rookies and 6th overall. This year he is 2nd behind Dalvin Cook. He leads the league in breaking a tackle every 7.5 attempts. He averages 2.9 YAC this year, that is 5th in the league between the likes of Aaron Jones and Dalvin Cook. He does lack top end speed but the kid runs smart and goes down hard. The Bears offense is a raging dumpster fire with poor QB play and head scratching playcalling. The only reason it doesnt look worse is the quality pieces in it balling out.

Monty is a low RB1 top RB2 option and really an amazing buy low if you can do it. I buy this guy everywhere I find owners looking to bail.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

johnnymozart
Role Player
Role Player

Postby johnnymozart » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:20 am

Jacobs: 3.78 ypc on 258 carries and is the RB9 by total points, RB13 by average points per week in 1/2 point PPR (193.9 total points)
Montgomery: 4.45 ypc on 225 carries and is the RB6 by total points, RB7 by average points per week in 1/2 point PPR (214.1 total points)

I highlight the ypc because I believed based on everything said in earlier pages that it was Montgomery who was JAG.

Some who refuse to eat crow may offer up that Montgomery's entire season has just been a product of Tarik's injury, a good schedule recently, the front office's boneheaded decision to not pick up one of those free agent alpha RBs earlier this season (one of those dinosaurs would surely have taken away the measly 3rd round pick's job!).

I offer up the continued belief that David Montgomery's trajectory will now continue to exceed that of Josh Jacobs. I would still refuse Jacobs if offered for my Montgomery... and I hope some people bought this gem RB. Maybe they even moved Jacobs in the offseason when his perceived value was at its absolute apex or even prior to their trade deadline this season when his value wasn't quite as shiny but you still got back a package that included Monty and (insert any other asset here) because they'd have won out on that trade to date.
My team/Picks (14 Teamer- .5PPR) Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 2-3 WR, 1-2 TE
QB Lamar Jackson, Russ Wilson, Mills
RB A Gibson, Aaron Jones, Damien Harris, Penny IR, D.Pierce, Haskins
WR ARobinson, KAllen, Mike Evans, Sutton, Amon-Ra, TBoyd, GDavis, Dotson, Pierce
TE Mark Andrews, Goedert, LThomas
K Tucker
2023- No Picks
2024- 2, 2

Rebuild Sad Orphan 12 team .5PPR -- Start 1QB, 2-4 WR, 2-4 RB, 1-3 TE

QB. Tua, DJones (IR)
RB Bijan (R), Gibbs (R), J. Conner, TSpears (R), Demercado, J Mason, Z. White
WR Amon-Ra St Brown, Nico Collins, J. Reed (R), R. Shaheed, C.Tillman (R), Osborn, Terrace M, CSamuel, Pierce, Ross
TE Andrews, Ferguson, McBride, Ertz (IR)
DEF- Patriots, Vikings
2024 None
2025 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3
2026 2, 3

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:45 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:30 pm
Rotoworld is way behind then.
Since they updated their website format Rotoworld hasn’t been updating anyone’s contracts. Don’t know what is going on over there. How can NBC not afford to keep the app?
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:38 am

jcc6fd wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:45 pm Rotoworld is way behind then.
Since they updated their website format Rotoworld hasn’t been updating anyone’s contracts. Don’t know what is going on over there. How can NBC not afford to keep the app?
I feel like NBC don't know what they have. Josh Norris (the Rotoworld Pod Host) is leaving too, and this is a year after having Evan Silva on staff and him (rightly) leaving to offer the same scouting/game breakdown services privately with Establish the Run.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:04 am

mild wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:38 am
jcc6fd wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:45 pm Rotoworld is way behind then.
I feel like NBC don't know what they have. Josh Norris (the Rotoworld Pod Host) is leaving too, and this is a year after having Evan Silva on staff and him (rightly) leaving to offer the same scouting/game breakdown services privately with Establish the Run.
Didn't realize that they've been letting Rotoworld go. Not good. I like it for the quick news blurbs and since they have (had) contract info & depth charts, I used it for that too. I'll be using other sites for that stuff now if I can't trust Rotoworld. Sad.