Flag Plant: Montgomery trajectory will exceed that of Josh Jacobs

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Flag Plant: Montgomery trajectory will exceed that of Josh Jacobs

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:39 pm

mgscott wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:34 pm
jordanzs wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:19 pm If I was in a startup draft right now, I would take Montgomery before Jacobs.
I would be hopeful I didn't have to choose either. But it's closer to 50/50 for me now. I was much higher on jacobs than Monty before.
Same. I'd still take Jacobs but... Both probably off the board before I consider them in a start up

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:40 pm

jordanzs wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:19 pm If I was in a startup draft right now, I would take Montgomery before Jacobs.
Don't forget Cohen returns this year and curbs Montgomery's receiving value.

More or less, Montgomery and Jacobs have become similar in value and expectation. So, the OP deserves credit. Before last season, you could've traded Jacobs for Montgomery++ and now that looks like great thinking.

The question now is if you should sell high on Montgomery.

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDabbler » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:38 pm

Glad this topic resurfaced. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the first few pages. People are always SOOO sure of themselves. And Yes, hindsight is 20/20 lol.

I love the OP’s quote on Monty and totally agree with it.
“When I drafted Monty, the biggest driver in my mind was "this guy can take a thrashing, a beating, and power on" he will stick in the league, and does everything well in a similar way to Frank Gore. He breaks tackles at an incredible rate (Jacobs does too, ick). I believed he may not be a flashy option but he will be a steady one.”
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:48 pm

Montgomery
489 1959 yards 4.0 YPC 14 TD's 79 receptions 623 yards 3 TD's
Jacobs
515 2215 yards 4.3 YPC 19 TD's 53 receptions 404 yards 0 TD's

Why is this still even a conversation?

I like Jacobs better personally because I think he is the better runner but the reality is this is pretty close. Neither are great receiving backs as Cohen should really cut into Montgomery's receiving numbers.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDabbler » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:06 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:48 pm
I like Jacobs better personally because I think he is the better runner but the reality is this is pretty close. Neither are great receiving backs as Cohen should really cut into Montgomery's receiving numbers.
More so than Drake cutting into Jacobs? Drake and Cohen are the presumed or should I say assumed :think: pass catching backs but I believe Drake gets more rushing attempts than Cohen. Therefore, Drake would be stealing more touch’s than Cohen.
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:12 pm

I’m hoping for Cohen to come back and make some noise (as a greedy Cohen owner), but I don’t see many scenarios where he cuts into Montgomery’s upside nearly as much as Drake does Jacobs’.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:56 pm

I don't see Drake is as big of a receiving threat as Cohen... Cohen averaged 65+ REC per year his first 3 years before the injury last year. Drake has had 50+ REC 2x but lower numbers this past year. His average is under 35 per year (40 if you take out his lowest, his rookie year)

I don't think either Jacobs or Montgomery are above average in the passing game anyway though. I think Drake would steal more carries than Cohen would though and touches will offset for the most part

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:50 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:56 pm I don't see Drake is as big of a receiving threat as Cohen... Cohen averaged 65+ REC per year his first 3 years before the injury last year. Drake has had 50+ REC 2x but lower numbers this past year. His average is under 35 per year (40 if you take out his lowest, his rookie year)

I don't think either Jacobs or Montgomery are above average in the passing game anyway though. I think Drake would steal more carries than Cohen would though and touches will offset for the most part
Agree

I think both teams have their change of pace RB. Drake and Cohen are a bit different but the production value of Montgomery and Jacobs should remain relatively close.

Teams need 2 good backs. The list of teams with solid backs is growing. Dallas, LA, Cleveland, Chicago, LVR ...... to name a few.

Value to me would be Jacobs, Montgomery,........ Cohen, then Drake for fantasy purposes.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:13 am

Oakland's (edit: Las Vegas'*) OL concerns me more than Drake when it comes to Jacobs. Drake is just gonna take the Booker and Richard touches (151 combined last year) for the most part and be an upgrade over what they have behind Jacobs. Teams need multiple quality RBs these days, especially with 17 games coming up. This is going to end up being a lesser version of Chubb/Hunt in Cleveland and both Jacobs and Drake will be fantasy viable, LV needs to work on the OL though.

I guess I need to start making offers for Jacobs judging by the reactions this Drake signing has caused.
Last edited by bjd5211 on Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:31 am

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:13 am Oakland's OL concerns me more than Drake when it comes to Jacobs.
Who is Oakland? :D J/K do it all the time. Imagine what The Washington Football Team fan is going through still looking for an identity.

The O-Line comment is a valid point and a short term concern.

The Raiders have been a cash strapped team for years without the resources to pay big signing bonuses or turn salary into bonus dollars through restructuring deferring cap dollars like the big boy teams so they trade players for pics. I imagine in a couple of years they will be able to compete better when the revenues kick in from the new stadium and the new TV money enters the market.

Until then they will continue to eject players and build through the draft.

The O-Line losses could and probably will hurt Jacobs some this season.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:35 am

Ice wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:31 am
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:13 am Oakland's OL concerns me more than Drake when it comes to Jacobs.
Who is Oakland? :D J/K do it all the time. Imagine what The Washington Football Team fan is going through still looking for an identity.

The O-Line comment is a valid point and a short term concern.

The Raiders have been a cash strapped team for years without the resources to pay big signing bonuses or turn salary into bonus dollars through restructuring deferring cap dollars like the big boy teams so they trade players for pics. I imagine in a couple of years they will be able to compete better when the revenues kick in from the new stadium and the new TV money enters the market.

Until then they will continue to eject players and build through the draft.

The O-Line losses could and probably will hurt Jacobs some this season.
Lol, and yet I called them LV later in the post, what a mess haha.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:53 am

murphysxm wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am I don't view Jacobs as high as the consensus and think Montgomery has a ton of room to improve and will. Saying all that there is no scenario where I wouldn't prefer Jacobs on my roster and it is nonsense to consider otherwise.
I like to look at my comments on these old posts to see if I has A. Right B. Wrong C. A jacka**. I didn't fair to well on this one
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:36 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:53 am
murphysxm wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am I don't view Jacobs as high as the consensus and think Montgomery has a ton of room to improve and will. Saying all that there is no scenario where I wouldn't prefer Jacobs on my roster and it is nonsense to consider otherwise.
I like to look at my comments on these old posts to see if I has A. Right B. Wrong C. A jacka**. I didn't fair to well on this one
At least you were more B than C! I too had Jacobs far above Monty at all times.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:03 am

DynastyDabbler wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:38 pm Glad this topic resurfaced. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the first few pages. People are always SOOO sure of themselves. And Yes, hindsight is 20/20 lol.

I love the OP’s quote on Monty and totally agree with it.
“When I drafted Monty, the biggest driver in my mind was "this guy can take a thrashing, a beating, and power on" he will stick in the league, and does everything well in a similar way to Frank Gore. He breaks tackles at an incredible rate (Jacobs does too, ick). I believed he may not be a flashy option but he will be a steady one.”
And I completely ignored both of them and got four shares of Sanders, and 8 of AJ Brown, and a pair of both in a keeper league. 0 Jacobs, 0 Monty. My regret, the horrible four shares of N'Keal Harry, and the 5th I got in a trade. Ouch.

I still don't buy Monty, at all, I note the games where he produced last year w/great skepticism in terms of opponents run defense. If I was a Monty owner I'd definitely be flipping, though I probably would've flipped in December.

That being said, your first take is my favorite. Any time I get too big for my britches I just look up my compensation for trades involving Godwin in the summer of '18, and it's 1000%, Brando, in Apocalypse Now level, "The Horror, the horror."

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:40 pm

Because I owned him in a couple of leagues I watched him a lot. I’m no expert but just from the eyeball test I thought he was very underrated. His O-line seemed to never open holes and the play calling never seemed to make sense ... run it straight into the line over and over. But when he ran wide or got into space he ran really hard. I was thrilled to see him finally start hitting the end zone. Easy guy to root for.
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith