Juju or AJ Brown

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
GOTGDynasty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Juju or AJ Brown

Postby GOTGDynasty » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:53 am

I own AJ Brown. I was offered Juju.
I'm hanging on to both. If the rival seems willing to get some trade value out of JuJu and you're not quite persuaded to let AJB go, try floating some other trade for JuJu. Look at the mediocrity at QB he had to work with last season. I want to see what he does with Big Ben back tossing the ball and a year out of the Antonio Brown fiasco. At 23, JuJu is only seven months older than AJB (I likewise don't buy the "sell high" hype on a talent like AJB). Sit tight and insist on significant additional value before letting go of him. But see if you can get JuJu some other way. People tend to only offer what they don't fully value.
QBs: Patrick Mahomes, Trey Lance, Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Saquon Barkley, JK Dobbins, James Conner, Travis Etienne, Tony Pollard, Brian Robinson.
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, A.J. Brown, Deebo Samuel, Jaylen Waddle, Chris Godwin, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Chase Claypool, Chris Olave, Odell Beckham, Josh Palmer
TE: George Kittle, T.J. Hockenson, Taysom Hill, Trey McBride, Isaiah Likely
PK: Nick Folk
(IDPs, start two per week per position):
DL: Danielle Hunter, Myles Garrett, Alex Highsmith, Aidan Hutchinson, Chase Young,
LB: Roquan Smith, C.J. Mosley, Logan Wilson, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoa
DB: Derwin James, Jeremy Chinn, Xavier McKinney, Jalen Pitre

* Ten team league started in 2014.
** 40 player roster, 30 Keepers per season.
*** Red denotes 2022 draft pickups.

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:56 am

Eagles10 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:34 pm I own AJ Brown. I was offered Juju. Im afraid AJ and the titans wont be able to have the same efficiency like they had at the end of the year. Last year Juju was drafted as a top 3 Wr in most leagues. What are your guesses thoughts? Im torn
I'm team Juju personally. I just love everything about him & I believe he outscored AJ over the course of the next 3 years, which is how I try to value my dynasty rankings.
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.

Blackout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Blackout » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am

Still Juju

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 pm

henry1jg wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:56 am
Eagles10 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:34 pm I own AJ Brown. I was offered Juju. Im afraid AJ and the titans wont be able to have the same efficiency like they had at the end of the year. Last year Juju was drafted as a top 3 Wr in most leagues. What are your guesses thoughts? Im torn
I'm team Juju personally. I just love everything about him & I believe he outscored AJ over the course of the next 3 years, which is how I try to value my dynasty rankings.
Considering he couldn’t out score Taylor Gabriel and Chris Conley his first go as a number 1, this would really be something

gunfrees
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gunfrees » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:39 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 pm
Considering he couldn’t out score Taylor Gabriel and Chris Conley his first go as a number 1, this would really be something
Hard to out score anyone with mason rudolph at the helm...
12 team dynasty | SF | 1 ppr

QBs: Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Kirk Cousins
WRs: Deebo, Godwin, Mbrown, JDowns
RBs: Chubb, Gibbs, Achane, K. Miller
TE: Okonkwo, Mayer

2024 1.03, 1.09
2025 early 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, early 2nd, 2nd
2026 early 1st, 1st, early 2nd
----------

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:49 pm

gunfrees wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:39 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Hard to out score anyone with mason rudolph at the helm...
Hard to do it with the corpse of Joe Flacco, Brandon Allen, David Blough, Jeff Driskel, Kyle Allen, Will Grier, Mitch Trubisky and Chase Daniel at the helm yet truly great players did it

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:27 pm

I've got AJ over JuJu by a wide margin. Very few red flags on AJ Brown, lots on JuJu.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:49 pm

Notice how no one has anything negative to say for AJ brown, nor is anyone making excuses for him. Dude had a great rookie season as the top WR on a run first team with well below par QB play. Easily brown
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

twofirstnames
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby twofirstnames » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:45 pm

I'm torn on this one myself, but I will add that the argument that good WRs should be able to produce w/ bad QB play is definitely oversimplifying things.

Not all bad QB play is the same. Hopkins produced fine with Tom Savage but was disappointing with Brock Osweiler. Allen Robinson was awesome with Bortles in 2015 but then horribly inefficient with Bortles again in 2016. JuJu was bad w/ Rudolph and Hodges but balled out in one game w/ Landry Jones (while AB was injured) at the end of 2017. Heck, even AJ Brown became much more productive with Tannehill than he was with Mariota (at least if you go by PFF grades)...why couldn't he produce well regardless of who his QB was?

JuJu and AJB had very similar rookie years production-wise (JuJu played two fewer games than AJB, but in terms of yards per game they're almost identical). Yes JuJu was playing with AB for his first two years, but until last season that was actually viewed as a detriment to his potential fantasy production. AJB did it without a superstar to draw attention, but on the other hand it's not like opponents were putting their top corner on him the entire length of the season either; he was an unknown rookie.

There are good arguments to be made on either side, which is why I have these guys valued so similarly. But the argument that bad QB play isn't an excuse because some receivers can play well with backups isn't convincing to me.

curtisn16
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby curtisn16 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:55 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:49 pm Notice how no one has anything negative to say for AJ brown, nor is anyone making excuses for him. Dude had a great rookie season as the top WR on a run first team with well below par QB play. Easily brown
Nailed it.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:07 pm

twofirstnames wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:45 pm I'm torn on this one myself, but I will add that the argument that good WRs should be able to produce w/ bad QB play is definitely oversimplifying things.

Not all bad QB play is the same. Hopkins produced fine with Tom Savage but was disappointing with Brock Osweiler. Allen Robinson was awesome with Bortles in 2015 but then horribly inefficient with Bortles again in 2016. JuJu was bad w/ Rudolph and Hodges but balled out in one game w/ Landry Jones (while AB was injured) at the end of 2017. Heck, even AJ Brown became much more productive with Tannehill than he was with Mariota (at least if you go by PFF grades)...why couldn't he produce well regardless of who his QB was?

JuJu and AJB had very similar rookie years production-wise (JuJu played two fewer games than AJB, but in terms of yards per game they're almost identical). Yes JuJu was playing with AB for his first two years, but until last season that was actually viewed as a detriment to his potential fantasy production. AJB did it without a superstar to draw attention, but on the other hand it's not like opponents were putting their top corner on him the entire length of the season either; he was an unknown rookie.

There are good arguments to be made on either side, which is why I have these guys valued so similarly. But the argument that bad QB play isn't an excuse because some receivers can play well with backups isn't convincing to me.
Well Hopkins even with Osweiler finished WR24-27 as did ARob in 2016. Juju couldn't crack the top 60. Not at all comparable

And AJB's games with Mariota were the first 6 games of his career--and as a result had suppressed snap counts (in the 40s % wise compared to 80%+ later in the year) and number of routes run (in the teens compared to high 20s and low 30s later in the year). Totally different from 3rd year WR Juju flopping like a dead fish when he got the number 1 CB and a not good QB

AB was viewed as a detriment by many (including me) because we thought Juju was an elite talent. For elite talents target competition is bad and a ceiling capper (like how Davante and MT broke into elite tier when Jordy Nelson and Brandin Cooks left). For non elite talents it is a good thing because it diverts the defense's focus--which, if focused on a non elite talent, drops off their production.
Juju proved me (and many others wrong) and showed loud and clear which camp he falls into last season.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:27 am

I doubt Juju is a top 12 dynasty player.

It would be so rare though to have someone do what he did, at his age, and then just fall off the map into utter obscurity. I'd guess he ends up being a reliable wr2 throughout his career.

I think twofirstnames did a good job of addressing different reasons he flopped and how it isn't such an outlier of a season under the circumstances.

I don't like owning him but no takers yet on selling him either. I'd cash out if possible at his current adp if I could. I don't like my top 12 guys to be one season away from being worth a 2nd round pick if they have a bad year. But a good year and he is back to being a top 2 wr.

But, I think that fear and bitterness is clouding what he is capable of. It is for me.

If he goes back to what he was doing in those 1st 3 games, 88/1200, I'll be quite pleased with the result.

As far as the broken play, it was a broken play vs the 49ers, but they were a pretty damn good defense and he did break loose. That actually does count.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Qb play aside. Turf toe is a tough one to play through. Clearly that part of this equation is being minimized to fit a narrative. I have these two very close in value.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.