Henry vs Engram vs Howard

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Henry vs Engram vs Howard

Postby waynesworld1234 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:57 pm

If you had to hitch your wagon to one of them as the future TE of your team in a 10 team 1PPR league, which do you prefer? I keep going in circles on all 3.

Howard: One of the most efficient TE’s we’ve ever seen, but has an immediate history of injury and is one of many targets on his team.

Engram: WR skillset with a ton of opportunity this season. Less competition for targets.

Henry: Likely a big red zone threat. Has the best QB in a 3 year window, and I honestly didn’t see much or him pre-injury.

Bonus question. How many of the three above will be ranked above Kittle in 2020? (If any).

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Henry vs Engram vs Howard

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Gronk, Graham, Ertz, Kelce, Kittle

-- All of them in pass-happy offenses.
-- 4 of them had high-end QBs throwing to them (sans Kittle).
-- All of them were the top or second-best target in the offense.

Howard: Jury is still out on Winston. Would be fighting both Evans & Godwin for targets. Will both Evans & Godwin be with the Bucs long term? Doubtful imo. Has film that shows he could handle the load.

Engram: Could be the top target in the passing offense this year or next. Not really a pass-first offense with Barkley on the roster, and who would be the QB going forward? Has film that shows he could handle the load.

Henry: Would probably be one of the top 2 targets in a pass-first offense. Rivers will be there for a few more years. No proven track record of success yet and is coming back from a major injury. Did get tutelage via Gates.

===================================

I guess it depends what you value in a TE. I hate buying hype and I'm not a fan of guys coming back from major injury so I don't want to buy in to Henry, but in a high volume passing attack...

This is tough. I had to look up size and speed. Engram is 6'3" and 234. Fastest TE and super agile but not by much. Howard is 6'6" 250, almost as fast and super agile. Henry has 4.7 speed, not as agile, not as big.

So I guess Howard is my pick. Tough call tbh.

EDIT: And I don't think any of them will be ranked above Kittle by 2020.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:03 pm

Howard is the best talent and player of the 3, so I'd pick him pretty easily. He was on pace for 900 or so yards last year before injury.

Alex116
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Alex116 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:22 pm

I like Engram. I've mentioned it in some other posts that his numbers were much nicer with OBJ out of the lineup. With OBJ now permanently out of the lineup, I like his chances. I don't think being a "run heavy" offense due to Saquon matters as much as some think. They're still gonna have to throw it, and if they're playing from behind, they're gonna have to throw it a ton.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:35 pm

OJH - I think he's a Greg Olsen type of talent. Should be consistently good with a high level of production. Only issue right now is the injuries.

Engram - He'd be more of like a Vernon Davis type of guy I think. The issue is he's not a great receiver and he's not a great blocker. But he does create a huge mismatch against LB's. I think his production could be more volatile than the other 2 TE's listed here.

Henry - Solid but I think his ceiling is a bit lower than the other 2.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Howard is the most complete TE of the group. I’m still skeptical as to whether Arians is going to be able to keep his pocket clean long enough to run his deep ball game if he’s sending Howard deep regularly.

Short term, I think Evan Engram is the most likely to put up big numbers this coming season, and he should be a reliable target for the rookie whenever he takes over, but I’m not sure I like his size. Seems a little Jordan Reed to me.

Henry is solid, but he’s no Antonio Gates. Gates was always the 1a to VJax’s 1b and VJax was very volatile. I suspect things will be reversed between Henry and Keenan Allen and Williams may eat some of the goalline work you’d hope for.

Give me Engram. I’ll go for the gold and live dangerously.

If we’re factoring in price though, give me Austin Hooper with Dirk Koetter calling the plays or Mark Andrews and his exceptional rapport with Lamar.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:36 am

Howard and Engram are on teams that don't use them right. Engram finally did get the treatment he deserves the last 3 games of last year. I grabbed him in the third of a SF TE premium league. I feel very comfortable with it. I owned Howard already in one dynasty so I wanted to diversify a bit. With the lack of other options in NY, Engram had to get good targets. If he doesn't then it shows you how out of touch the OC/head coach are
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:13 am

For this year production I'd say Engram- Henry-Howard, but it's probably the reverse in the long term.
Howard is the only one I could see challenge for TE1 overall in his career, but I'm not sure he's got the QB or market share to become a weekly force this year.
Njoku should be in the discussion as well, although he's another I like more long term than this season.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:51 am

Howard is the best of those guys and I will go with him because he is the only one I see cracking the top tier.

However I love Hunter Henry, like a throw back Jason Witten so I would never be upset owning him

Engram is a glorified WR and terrific athlete and feel isn't the football player the other 2 are but may get more opportunity
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:51 am

Ceiling Comps - for when these players were at their peak
Howard - Gronk
Engram - Reed
Henry - Olsen

Rankings Against Each Other For: Quarterback, Blocking, Receiving ability, & Opportunity.

Howard: 2, 1, 2, 3 - Av 2.00
Engram: 3, 3, 1, 1 - Av 2.00
Henry: 1, 2, 3, 2 - Av 2.00

- If Melvin Gordon holds out for say 8 games, I'd say that Henry will have the best counting stats at the end of the season.
- I think Engram will have the best start due to Tate being out for the first 4 games.
- I think Howard has the highest ceiling, esp if Winston somehow puts it all together, but see risks with BA having Howard stick inline to block.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:12 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:09 pm Gronk, Graham, Ertz, Kelce, Kittle

-- All of them in pass-happy offenses.
-- 4 of them had high-end QBs throwing to them (sans Kittle).
-- All of them were the top or second-best target in the offense.
Kelce didn't have a high end QB until 2019. You could also throw in Ertz not having high end QB play as well. Assume you were talking about their career numbers since Graham and Gronk were non-factors in 2018.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:13 am

Howard for me is the clear away #1

Engram second for me, the drops are a real concern but he is a big time athlete in a league going in that direction

Henry is super solid and has a nice ceiling but not like the other two

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:35 pm

I like all three. Would be happy with any of them as I think they will become reliable mid-tier TE1s.
None of them will surpass Kittle in my opinion.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Engram is first for me because he's pretty much a WR. A mismatch with who ever is covering him. He has shown he can be the focus of the passing attack.

Having been a San Diego Chargers fan I saw a lot of Henry his rookie year and he has some of the best hands I've seen. He's on a different tier athletically (worse) than Engram and Howard, but he has the football IQ and a QB that loves targeting his TE in the red zone. It's hard to predict TDs, but having watched all of Rivers' career, he likes to throw to the TE in the end zone and I'd project him to lead in TDs of the three.

Howard probably the biggest size speed guy with a QB that likes to target TEs, so he should be my #1 ranked guy of the three, but his injuries scare me more than Henry's. He seems to have constant ankle issues which I fear will lead to compensation injuries. And I'm not sold that Jamis will be there all that long.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:41 am

1. OJH 2. Engram 3. Henry
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2